Pillow Talk

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Pillow Talk"?

Poor
No votes
Average
No votes
Good
3%
Excellent
97%

Total votes: 87

Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Pillow Talk

Unread post by Johnny » 11 Aug 2015, 18:04

You are right, Jack Klugman was not in Pillow Talk. Musiclover, it was Jack Kruschen and Jack Oakie that I was thinking about who were in the terrific Lover Come Back. Thank You.
Johnny

Ania
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Ania » 07 Sep 2015, 20:08

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 08 Sep 2015, 14:36

I think you're right there, Judy. I don't think he's ever been in anything with Doris - just checked:

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001430/

But has with Tony Randall:

In 1970, Klugman reprised his Broadway role of Oscar Madison in the television adaptation of The Odd Couple, opposite Tony Randall.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 10 Sep 2015, 15:35

The other day I was visiting a friend who was watching Pillow Talk for the first time and I was told that Pillow Talk is the funniest film he has ever seen. The piano bar scene where Doris and Rock sing Rolly- Polly was on the screen. I was drawn in immediately and laughed out loud with my friend for the rest of the film. It was pure enjoyment. I found it incredible that he had not seen the film. He said Pillow Talk is now one of his all-time favourite films. Mine Too!
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 10 Sep 2015, 16:22

I had the opposite experience, Johnny. I took the Blue-ray version on holiday with some friends last year as I don't have a player and they had one where we were going. They know I'm a fan and are sometimes wary of me thrusting something of hers on them. They reluctantly agreed to watch it and I could tell from the fact that they carried on talking and were not watching that they didn't really want to see it. I tried to persevere on my own and I found myself not enjoying it and thinking it was really 'tired' and I'd seen it too much.

Compare that to some years earlier when I watched it in a cinema where they were showing a season of her films and there were lots of fans there. Everyone was loving it, including me. So I think the mood around you can make all the difference. Doris is really best when you can share her! :wink:

As we do on here. :)

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 11 Sep 2015, 15:52

It is disappointing when people can't appreciate the classics that are being shared. Keep on trying Bryan.

Having grown up in a family that loves movies, especially in theaters, that love lives on with all the family and many friends. I see an average of two to three movies a week in a theater. Sometimes it is a challenge finding the time but it is so worthwhile.

I may have posted this before, my father said to us that going to the movies is like going on vacation, meeting new people, listening to stories and best of all, not having to pack. I have never forgotten this and it is so true. It is a big adventure.

When I was a kid in the 50's and 60's , my friends and I would go to the Saturday morning Odeon movie club at 11:30 a.m. and watch cartoons, then a cliff-hanger serial and two matinees. From the cartoon shown, I did Bugs Bunny impressions for the rest of week and drove everyone up the wall. Does Wesley in On Moonlight Bay come to mind?

I am still as excited today to go to the movies as I was as a kid. I wonder if many Doris Day forum members still like to go to the movies and what is their experience like. I hope it is great.
Johnny

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin » 11 Sep 2015, 23:34

Johnny~
Here in America you can get shot and die from going to the movies. It's absolutely tragic. Maybe you haven't heard about the lunatics and where they hang out now in the U.S. up there in Canada. Good thing Doris may her movies back in the good 'ol days here in 'Merica.

Lauren

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 01 May 2016, 12:51

The 50th anniversary edition DVD of Pillow Talk is a joy to watch. It enriches the really happy experience of seeing Doris and Rock in Pillow Talk.
Front of DVD Cover:
Rock Hudson - Doris Day
The Perfect Pair For...
Pillow Talk

...It's What Goes On
When The Lights Goes Off!

Information On Back DVD Cover:

Celebrate 50 Years of Romance and Comedy

Rock Hudson and Doris Day light up the screen in the new 50th anniversary edition of Pillow Talk! This timeless romantic comedy tells the charming story of Jan Morrow (Day) an uptight interior decorator who must share a party line with laid-back playboy Brad Allen (Hudson). But the real connection is made when the two meet and he begins wooing her with late-night calls
-while pretending to be someone elae.
.Nominated for five Academy Awards including Best Actress,this enjoyable romp co-stars Tony Randall (TV's The Odd Couple) and features delightful new bonus material. Pillow Talk is the film that brought Rock Hudson and Doris Day together for the first time and is a dreamy addition to any DVD library.

Delightful New Bonus Features:
Back in Bed With Pillow Talk: Take a look back at the making of the film and it's lasting legacy.

Chemistry 101: The Film Duo of Rock Hudson and Doris Day. Examine the classic screen couple and their three films together.

Feature Commentary with film historians, Jeff Bond.Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman.

Original Theatrical Trailer

Personal Note: Pillow Talk remains a funny and touching experience about the highs and lows of love. Rock Hudson and Doris Day remain fresh and loveable as a great screen couple.
Rock Hudson should have recieved an Academy Award nomination for his outstaning work in Pillow Talk. Like Doris, his work was under-apprecited in Hollywood. They have both made important films that have been major contributions to Hollywood history.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 30 Jul 2017, 16:58

I came across this interesting article on Wikipedia on a sequel to Pillow Talk.

In 1980, a sequel to Pillow Talk was originally planned. The film is set 20 years later from where the original film ended. The story centered around Jan and Brad's first daughter (who would have been played by Kristy Mc Nichol), and Jan and Brad's getting a divorce. This would allow Jonathan played by Tony Randall to have another chance to propose to Jan. She schemes to get back while Brad has a scheme of his own. According to David Kaufman's book, Doris Day: The Untold Story Of The Girl Next Door, Day was enthusiastic about the project and wanted to be involved. Rock Hudson also expressed in returning. Ross Hunter was set to produce again with Delbert Mann who directed Day and Hudson in Lover Come Back directing the script by Bruce Kane. Despite making changes according to Day's wishes, and getting approval from Universal to make the sequel, the project did not materialize. with Day's retirement being one of the reasons.

The film was a box office ht, grossing $18,750,000 domestically. This made Hunter's vision of pairing Day and Hudson together so successful, that they earned Allied's "male and female star of the year" awards for 1959.

It makes me wonder what happened to the script of the sequel. Would the sequel have the same magic as the original?
Pillow Talk, Doris Day, Rock Hudson Photograph.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 31 Jul 2017, 05:31

I would have loved to have seen the sequel - too bad.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 10 Feb 2018, 13:47

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 10 Aug 2018, 21:03

In the book, The Doris Day Scrapbook by Alan Gelb it states about Pillow Talk:
"Before Pillow Talk, Hudson's experience in comedy had been next to nil. His forte, if he had one, was being the stalwart hero of such soapers as the aforesaid Magnificent Obsession and Written On The Wind. Some might have thought him just a bit too big and square-jawed for sophisticated farce. But he managed to do surprisingly well, and he and Doris made a delightful team. In fact, although they were only to co-star in three films, they are as much thought of as a team as Loy and Powell or Astaire and Rogers. With their clean and healthy and rather perfect good looks, Rock and Doris were made for each other. And, for a change, Doris had a co-star who carried as much box-office clout as she did."
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 13 Aug 2018, 05:30

Great gifs, Ania, they really capture the spirit of the film.

That's a great review, Johnny! 8)

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 04 Aug 2019, 12:59

When we think of Doris Day films, usually the first film that comes to mind is Pillow Talk. It is the film that made Doris Day and Rock Hudson romantic comedy screen icons. Sixty years later, Pillow Talk still packs a comedy punch. The script, the direction, the cinematography, the Jean Louis fashions and above all the luminous performances of Doris Day and Rock Hudson along with bright flawless performances of Tony Randall and Thelma Ritter make Pillow Talk a timeless screen classic.

In Tom Santopietro's excellent book Considering Doris Day, he writes the following about Pillow Talk: "There is a sense of lightness and fun about the proceedings-- no one is taking himself or herself too seriously here. This relaxed, leisurely style begins with the opening credits: Letters are arranged by use of pillows flipped in the air, the letters then dissolving in a split screen, all in sync to the catchy title tune sung by Doris. Later in the film, this cleverly echoed in the well-remembered bathtub scene in which "Rex" and Jan, both lounging in their own tubs, in their own apartments, appear to sexily touch feet courtesy of the split screen. There is a nice dose of healthy sexuality being injected here; in fact, beginning with director Michael Gordon's first shot of Jan, clad only in a slip and sensually smoothing stockings on her shapely legs, the public is made aware that they are seeing a new Doris Day. On Moonlight bay, this ain't."
……….

"Best of all, however, is the depiction of Jan herself as a high-powered, successful interior decorator. Doris Day's own natural energy and bouncy determination fit perfectly with Jan's drive to succeed; audiences in 1959, particularly female audience members, were ready to see a successful woman in charge on onscreen. American were poised on the cusp of a revolution in terms of sexuality and the role of women: It would be a few years before the feminist revolution hit its stride, but it was only one year before the FDA approval of the birth control pill was to revolutionize contraception and the manner in which women expressed their sexuality, and only four years until Betty Friedan published her groundbreaking The Feminine Mystique. The currents of change that were to burst forth over the next few years were already in place."

"In this regard, Doris Day's career-girl film oeuvre, of which Pillow Talk was the first and prime example, fit the zeitgeist. Jan didn't cook, she didn't raise kids or wait for hubby to come home, and she didn't depend on any man for her happiness. She was working because she loved it and was good at her job, not because she wanted to snare a man. Women in particular loved this screen paragon: Here was a big-screen glossy Hollywood comedy that showed the possibility of women creating successful careers for themselves, and in glamourous New York City, yet. It provided an entirely new image, not just of Doris Day, but of women in general, and in the words of Molly Haskell, "Doris Day really in a sense led the way". How ready were women for such a screen image? The answer lies in the fact that the release of Pillow Talk propelled Doris Day to the position of number one box-office attraction in the world, a position she was to hold for a record-setting four years."

It will be interesting to see if Doris Day's box-office record in the world still holds sixty years later.

Pillow Talk is a film that one never tires of seeing because it sparkles from beginning to end.
Johnny