The Films of Doris Day (1949 - 1968)

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.
Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: The Films of Doris Day (1949 - 1968)

Unread post by Musiclover » 16 May 2017, 17:15

Just came across an old article about Doris's career by the late film critic George Morris, who wrote for Film Comment and for Take One magazines, among others. It is excerpted here:

"That Doris Day is genuinely talented is often obscured by her enormous popularity and the petrification her public image suffered in the late 60s. By the time she made her best musicals (Calamity Jane, 1953; Love Me or Leave Me, 1955; Pajama Game, 1957; and Jumbo, 1962), Day had developed into the best musical actress in films. Jumbo features one of Day’s loveliest, most subdued portrayals. Unfortunately, her growth coincided with the decline of the musical as a popular genre. [Even so, she] triumphantly embodied the most forward-looking heroine in American movies of the 50s and 60s.

"Anyone who thinks of Doris Day only as a smiling, eternal virgin should look again at Love Me or Leave Me, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Pajama Game. In Love Me or Leave Me she is tougher and also extremely sexy. In The Man Who Knew Too Much . . . there are two scenes that stand as Day’s most brilliant; the controlled hysteria she brings to these moments should erase any doubts one might have concerning her acting ability. Her Babe Williams in Pajama Game is one of the great musical comedy performances in movie history. She is gutsy . . . yet vulnerable, and her portrayal has remarkable range and depth."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 17 May 2017, 05:38

Wasn't it George Morris who wrote "the films of Doris Day" - which I have somewhere- and he put her film career into 3 distinct phases

1- The WB years.
2. The solo years (which he, and I, assess as her best) 1954-59; and
3. The romantic comedy years - Pillow Talk onwards.

He assesses her Babe Williams as [perhaps] her finest screen performance.

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover » 17 May 2017, 11:18

Yes, that George Morris was one and the same as you describe.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 19 May 2017, 05:25

Love the PG poster- in the Untold Story of the Girl Next Door- love the story about the one and only time DD pulled rank on a film and it was this one, and of course, it was a good /great deed - they were working the dancers morning to night and Doris could see how ill Carol Chaney was and stopped production shouted up to the powers that be [from the set] "this lady is not well, either you get her to hospital, or I am leaving this set" - or words to that affect.

The powers that be got Carol to hospital and she was diabetic and observers noted that DD likely saved her life by taking this action.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 02 Mar 2018, 06:25

The advise to Eve Arden brings to mind that fabulous recording from What every girl should know - "Not only should you love him, you should like him too..."