Pillow Talk

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Pillow Talk"?

Poor
No votes
Average
No votes
Good
3%
Excellent
97%

Total votes: 87

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Pillow Talk

Unread post by webmaster » 13 Aug 2011, 16:29

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 22 Sep 2011, 17:03

lovely pictures with Tony Randall
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 22 Sep 2011, 17:05

DayDreamer wrote:Rock Hudson tells a funny story about this scene in "Doris Day - Her Own Story". He says that he had trouble carrying Doris around for as long and as far as required, hence the special shelf. Then he goes on:
I could have managed if only one take had been involved, but we went on endlessly, primarily because there was a bit actor who played a cop on the street, and as we passed him Doris's line was "Officer, arrest this man," and the cop was supposed to say to me, "How you doing, Brad?" but that stupid actor kept calling me Rock. So back to our marks we went for another take and another and another. I'll bet we did that scene twenty times. That's why the shelf for Doris to sit on.
:lol:
just love the expression on their faces,and they had to do it over and over again apparently
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 29 Oct 2011, 15:28

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 29 Oct 2011, 15:33

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Greetings from Polish. Have a good Sunday :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 05 Nov 2011, 16:20

wallpaper
ImageImage

:D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 25 Mar 2012, 15:29

Doris was interviewed around Sept/Oct 1985 for the book "Rock Hudson: His Story" - Sara Davidson interviewed her and she discussed Pillow Talk as follows:-

Sara Davidson writes - "I was astonished, when I interviewed Doris Day twenty-six years later, to learn that she did not feel she was playing a virgin"

Doris stated - "I was a businesswoman. I don't think I was a virgin. I went off the the country with him and I probably would have succumbed, except I found out he was a phony and ran away. The audience - you thought I was a virgin. You thought...oh, she'll think of some way to wiggle out..."

DorisIsTerrific

Unread post by DorisIsTerrific » 14 Apr 2012, 02:02

I finally watched this and I absolutely loved it got it from netflix have watched it 4 or 5 times now it is really great and funny Pillow Talk is now my fav Doris and Rock movie I love the part where Jan complains to the phone company and she calls Brad a sex maniac but the funniest part I think is when Jan and Brad are arguein over the phone and Brad says look I don't know whats botherin you but don't take your bedroom problems out on me and Jan says I have no bedroom problems there's nothin in my bedroom that scares me just too funny I also love Alma the housekeeper she's funny their friend johnathon is funny too and I just love the song they sing in that club ya ya roly poly this is really a great romantic comedy. :D

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 15 Apr 2012, 18:22

PT was my first Doris film and it was love at first sight even though I was a mere 7 years old at the time. Doris radiated such positive energy and genuine charm in the role of Jan Morrow. I didn't know anything about acting at the time, but I believed every word she said and it felt as if she were saying them for the very first time. I thought the film sparkled with clever dialog, great sets, beautiful clothes and hilarious situations. Many consider Lover Come Back superior to PT, but PT was the template for all of her most successful romantic comedies from 1959 forward. It also reignited her film career and put her at the top of the superstar heap.

I'm so glad Doris did this film and we now have the BLU-RAY to look forward to on May 1.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 09 Jul 2012, 00:01

So what if some say Rock was one dimensial. We can't be everything to everyone but a piece can reach and touch many. Acting is not about being able to play any role or every role its more toucjing the inner soul that Rock and Doris did. They were far more appealing than Hepburn and Tracey and funnier. A couple for the ages. They looked so comfortable on the couch together for the Good Morning America interview in 1983. I don't blame Rock for not talking about his private life, its nobody's buiseness.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 21 Oct 2012, 13:00

As a belated birthday treat, friends organised a showing of Pillow Talk for me at a local non-profit private 1950s style cinema.

I was thrilled with the cinema itself and the posters advertising my birthday and Pillow Talk...

So with 10 friends, we sat back in the ornate plush 30 seat cinema that was just wonderful and all glowed in the genius and talent of Doris, Rock and Tony.

We even had choc ices served in the old style ice cream hostess box and all in all, it was just beautiful and so much fun...

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 21 Oct 2012, 15:36

Sounds like you've got some good friends. What a fun time that must have been.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 21 Oct 2012, 16:01

Great wonderful people Howard and a fabulous time - very special - everyone knows how much I adore Doris Day and all there love her too- though not the way I do! It was a beautiful time with beautiful people watching the most beautiful lady inside and out - who has ever graced the Silver Screen. I am blessed.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 21 Oct 2012, 16:52

"Hello, is that you, James? Oh good!
I just wanted to wish you a very Happy Birthday and to say that I'm so glad you watched "Pillow Talk" - wasn't it fun? Sending you my best wishes for the year ahead!

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin » 21 Oct 2012, 16:55

webmaster wrote:Image
"Hello, is that you, James? Oh good!
I just wanted to wish you a very Happy Birthday and to say that I'm so glad you watched "Pillow Talk" - wasn't it fun? Sending you my best wishes for the year ahead!
wonderful dear ,have a happy Day always...

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 22 Oct 2012, 10:45

Great story, James, congrats on your special birthday treat. Bryan, love the pic and clever caption. You rock.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 22 Oct 2012, 11:05

You mean Doris rocks, Michael. I'm sure - I'm just the monkey, :lol: (Thanks!)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 22 Oct 2012, 15:51

Thanks Bryan [and all] for the birthday wishes - a very apt caption from Miss Day- wonderful.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 22 Oct 2012, 21:57

Its your birthday Jas? Happy Birthday and have a very Doris Day! There in beautiful Ireland that I visited twice :D

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin » 26 Nov 2012, 12:08

Came across this! Wish I could have attended as well as the Doris Day appreciation in London where some of her best films were on the big screen! Here's the reference I found:

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences continues its popular new “Oscar Outdoors” event in Hollywood on Friday evening with the 1959 romantic comedy “Pillow Talk,” which marked the first pairing of the screen team of Doris Day, who earned a best actress Oscar nomination, and Rock Hudson. The academy will be presenting the newly restored version of the film. The screening is sold out but there will be a stand-by line.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin » 08 Dec 2012, 17:27

What a film/// what a Lady..it is one of my favorities

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 25 Sep 2014, 15:27

In the 1959 smash hit Pillow Talk we see a new Doris Day as a sexy successful interior decorater with a beautiful, New York modern apartment and a wry maid, ( the brilliant Thelma Ritter) that loves to drink.

Rock Hudson, Tony Randall, Nick Adams, are at their best, All the characters are lovable and funny in this film. It is a real feel- good treat for the audience.

From the moment Doris and Rock meet in the nightclub, there is instant attraction and chemisty. Doris is unforgettable in the long white backless gown.

The Jean Louis fashions in this film contributes much to its' success. It was the beginning of the Kennedy era in the U.S,A. and Doris was becoming the Jacqeuline Kennedy fashion icon of the film world.

Pillow Talk made Doris Day a film icon that we treasure to this day. Doris remains the best loved of her female film contemporaires of that time, e.g. Elizabeth Tayor, Audrey Hepburn, Susan Hayward, Natalie Wood, and Lana Turner,
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 25 Sep 2014, 17:45

It really was an iconic role Johnny, wasn't it?

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 10 Aug 2015, 15:27

Watching Pillow Talk with a group of four under age thirty( two females and two males ) was an interesting experience for me. Everyone enjoyed the film and laughed frequently.
The two females took exception to the song Possess Me. They commented that Doris' character was strong and independent and the song did not seem to fit her character. They all thought that Rock's character is still represented unfortunately by many men today. They said that dishonesty and lack of trust in relationships doesn't indicate a long-term future. Both men and women do not like to be deceived.
On the lighter side there was a great deal of discussion about the supporting characters, Thelma Ritter, Tony Randall, Jack Klugman, and Nick Adams. They were described as the crown jewels in the film that made it extraordinary. They thought Doris and Rock had perfect chemistry.
They thought the set decoration and Doris' apartment were perfection.

They all commented that they would appreciate Pillow Talk even more with repeated viewings. I always enjoy the experience of watching Pillow Talk.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 10 Aug 2015, 22:43

Johnny, enjoyed your friends' observations about "Pillow Talk"; however, I don't believe that Jack Klugman was in that film. What role do you think he had?