Pillow Talk

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Pillow Talk"?

Poor
No votes
Average
No votes
Good
3%
Excellent
97%

Total votes: 87

Natalier

Unread post by Natalier » 21 May 2007, 03:22

I love this film. It is one of the best films she has done. It is a comedy/romantic film and the spilt screen is great as you dont wont to have it too much, if you know what I mean. Those pictures are fab I love the long white dress she wore in the dancing scene she looked lovely. Doris and Rock always worked well together.
Its a great feeling

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Pillow Talk Trailer

Unread post by webmaster » 16 Jun 2007, 12:13

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 16 Jun 2007, 18:18

Thank you for posting that !! Always fun to see.

I just love this movie -- they were so GOOD together. Such a fun movie experience. You could see how much they really liked one another. I always enjoy watching this one.

A few fun photos for you to enjoy !

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 16 Jun 2007, 18:27

I don't know if anyone has seen the publicity photos taken at the time of the second photo I posted above. But -- Doris is wearing the outfit that one of Rocks movie girlfriends wears. I thought that was kind of strange !! Doris had her own wardrobe -- why would she need to wear the same outfit another actress actually wore in the movie ???
Isn't that strange ??

You might be able to see it better in this color pic from the paperback.

And in this one-
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Heatherlicious

Unread post by Heatherlicious » 16 Jun 2007, 18:49

That is pretty strange...

I adore that second photo of the two of them! I had it as my background picture for a whle :)
H E A T H E R | Graphics

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 16 Jun 2007, 22:28

Yep---- Thats the girl that was wearing the outfit. I just thought that was odd that Doris would take publicity photos in an outfit worn by someone else in the movie.

I love that second picture of Doris and Rock also -- I had it for my background for awhile too !!

Jas1
Honorary Member

PT

Unread post by Jas1 » 19 Jun 2007, 06:20

Nice to see Pillow Talk made the critics list of the top 20 most romantic films of all time in a recent issue of the Times. It was up there [rightly] with the likes of Casablanca, The Way we Were, Love Story, Gone with the Wind etc.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 19 Jun 2007, 13:49

That is fantastic to hear. It really is up there with those you mentioned. One of the best things about it to me is the chemistry between Doris and Rock. They were just perfect together. I think she had close to the same feeling with Garner but -- it was better with Rock.
I love the crying scene with Tony driving back from the cabin. She was so good ! As Tony said in an interview - she could do anything the director asked her to do. And she thought it was easy.
What a talent.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Pillow Talk

Unread post by ray » 22 Jun 2007, 23:09

It must have made Rock a little uncomfortable with the gay humor in Pillow Talk. Hollywood knew of Rock in 1959, before the public did and looking back its like they were outing him in a coy manner. Glad Pillow Talk made that list. Was it the AFI for this year? Pillow Talk is a classic and grows more interesting each passing year. Like it or not, this film will be remembered for it touched on something that can never be duplicated and helped make Doris the number one box office champ of all time and also got her an Oscar nomination.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 23 Jun 2007, 00:49

That is GREAT to hear! It deserves to be recognized for the absolute classic it is. I've seen it play in packed houses here in LA over the past 2 decades, and it always plays like gang-busters. And current generations are able to see without knowing anything about the whole "virginity" fallacy.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Pillow Talk

Unread post by ray » 23 Jun 2007, 00:59

The whole virgin thing was created to try and discredit Doris and her huge talent, but it didn't work! Doris shines through all that!

Karl King

Unread post by Karl King » 04 Aug 2007, 07:40

I've got an technical observation about "Pillow Talk" The tech crew and director must have had a good time in one particular shot. The previous inside shot was typically tunsgsten-lit (3200 kelvin). And it was when Doris and Rock first realized they were really in love. Then the door opens the the outside has an amber color shift! Obviously a metaphor for love.

The Doris and Rock movies were superb. It is so sad the way Rock's life ended. He had it all. Alas!

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 04 Aug 2007, 09:50

Karl,Its so nice to have you on the forum.I take it your in or have been in the movie bussiness. ITs great to hear about the tech side of movies.You have a very keen eye on all that stuff and its wonderful of you to share that with us. Im afraid I only see what the director wants me to see lol.
I must pay much better attention to the technical side as ive always loved that sort of thing.I was once at universal studios and loved watching the way they could put their magic togeather. Thanks again and I look forward to hearing more cool inside info from a pro. :D
suzie

ray
I danced with Doris!

Rock

Unread post by ray » 04 Aug 2007, 23:54

Its a shame Rock Hudson is not mentioned much about his acting contributions since his death over twenty two years ago. He was a big star in a time that can never be recreated. Nor can that Doris and Rock combo, it was real movie magic!

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 18 Nov 2007, 00:22

We just watched Pillow Talk. Any US folk with comcast cable - its featured as one of the free on demand movies. That's nice to see. Might introduce her to people not aware of her movies. My husband said I've got him convinced that Doris is fantastic....in acting and singing. He's a complete fan now ! I always enjoy watching this movie. She looked marvelous !

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 24 Feb 2008, 20:49

Amen, and Amen... LOVE this movie... Doris Day and Rock Hudson act so well together... by the end of the movie, I was pulling for Doris to forgive Rock so they'd end up together again... I loved Thelma Ritter in this movie too!!! She was such a great actress. It's too bad actors and actresses have to get old to... We should give them youth tonic or something to keep them young forever. Maybe we could keep them in a shoebox... well a REALLY BIG one anyway... lol Doris Day is such a delight and I'm so glad that she had the profession she did. Just imagine a world without Doris Day... scary isn't it?!?
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Tooonyyy!

Unread post by miss maxwell » 29 Feb 2008, 09:43

Just realized I haven't commented on my favorite DOris Day movie...
That's my fourth "excellent" and the one I'm most enthusiastic
about! This movie's just divine. From its two stars to its faaantastic
supporting cast, from the score to the sets and costumes, from Jonathan
slapping Jan to Mrs Walters' hysterical "Tooonyyy" that has me in
stitches every time. Pure magic - and a well deserved Oscar nod
for Doris.

A few pics - Doris & Marty Melcher celebrating their wedding anniversay
on the set of PT in the last pic.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

joe t.

anniversary cake

Unread post by joe t. » 04 Mar 2008, 22:50

What's interesting about the cake Doris and Marty are sharing on their 8th anniversary (and also Doris' birthday) is that, across the top of the cake is written "Any Way the Wind Blows".

This photo was taken on the set of "Pillow Talk". The working title of the film was originally "Any Way the Wind Blows" but the producer, Ross Hunter, insisted on changing it to "Pillow Talk" probably to the dismay of Marty Melcher who was publishing the song "Any Way the Wind Blows" which he eventually got shoe-horned into Doris' next movie "Please Don't Eat the Daisies".

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 26 Mar 2008, 05:17

These are one of my favorite photos of Doris with Rock Hudson.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 26 Mar 2008, 15:34

Great pics, thanks for posting.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

pillow talk

Unread post by Doris Martin » 18 May 2008, 17:04

I have not watch Pillow talk for some time, but....tonight I thought I give it a go....Marvalleous idea....Doris is ....can not find words.....excellent. She is wonderfull. I love her. Montserrat

Heatherlicious

Unread post by Heatherlicious » 18 May 2008, 17:22

I love all the pillow talk photos! Many I haven't seen before! :) There is just something so "feel good" about this movie, it's definitely one of my favorite Doris "pick-me-up" movies. :)

And my mother is getting very angry that I've had it in my possession for so long this year, with about 10 other Doris movies... :P

Whoops! :)
H E A T H E R | Graphics

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 18 May 2008, 19:55

Pillow Talk is ALWAYS my number one DD film. Although a lot of others come very close.

Erica_R_Stone

Re: Pillow Talk

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone » 30 Jun 2008, 23:59

I enjoyed this movie very much. It was my second Doris Day movie to see. (TTOM being first) I thought they did pretty much everything right. (of course in hindsight I'm sure they would have done more had they known...)

Doris Day is divine in this movie. You can tell she is very comfortable with Rock Hudson. (I have a theory about her leading men) Thelma Ritter is great as the alcoholic housekeeper. Tony Randall does well trying to win Doris Day over. I love the scene where he tells her they haven't even kissed and then proceeds to kiss her. Her eyes are down and when she sweeps her eyes up to his face, it is great acting. It says, "look I let you kiss me, when I would have slapped anyone else, and I'm not going to say anything but by the look in my eyes you know, that kiss did nothing for me". (yeah it says all that)

It was designed as light romantic comedy and it succeeded. I love the way Doris Day sells you sexiness without ever taking you between the sheets. Ah the imagination, it is a great thing.
"At least mine can be solved in one bedroom!"

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Re: Pillow Talk

Unread post by ellenarden » 16 Nov 2008, 10:33

I can't add much more than has already been said. I think this is a very classy, snappy movie. I got lucky last week on vacation, it was raining one morning and AMC showed this picture, just after showing Lover Come Back. I also realized that we had three TVs in our condo and all three had this movie showing.

BTW, I found this video on Youtube and think it's absolutely adorable.