Pillow Talk

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Pillow Talk"?

Poor
No votes
Average
No votes
Good
3%
Excellent
97%

Total votes: 87

Pam
Honorary Member

Re: Pillow Talk

Unread post by Pam » 26 Dec 2008, 11:38

Absolutely Wonderful! Comcast today, is now showing one of " Our" favorite Doris's movies.. "Pillowtalk".....on AMC! :D
The family is all enjoying watching today "Our" Doris! Hope that you were able to enjoy "Pillowtalk"

My Best To All ~ Pam

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv » 26 Dec 2008, 14:26

Just one more time that Doris deserved an Oscar and did not get it...at least she DID get the nomination! My 2nd favorite of her comedies..I thought LOVER COME BACK was a funnier movie.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 26 Dec 2008, 15:18

mikeydv wrote:Just one more time that Doris deserved an Oscar and did not get it...at least she DID get the nomination! My 2nd favorite of her comedies..I thought LOVER COME BACK was a funnier movie.
Yes , Mike I agree LCB was very funny, and my favorite. Pillow Talk was and always will be one of my very favorites. Great movie. Pam , Iturned it on just in time to see the end credits :cry: ,but thats okay as I own a copy of it, but I still love to watch it on television.
suzie

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk » 27 Dec 2008, 02:09

Funny, my grandma called me this morning while I was sitting there watching Pillow Talk, and when I asked her what she was doing, she said that she was watching Pillow Talk. :lol: I thought it was funny. Pillow Talk is my favorite movie. :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster » 13 Jan 2009, 09:55

They showed Pillow Talk on TV here recently - it still seemed very fresh, although it did occur to me this time that Doris' character could have been a bit more 'forgiving' at the end and accepted 'Brad's' declaration of love rather than go through that (somewhat spiteful?) lengthy and expensive 're-decoration' of his apartment into a harem! Yeah, I know it was only a film. :wink:

Nice Review:

In 1959, when Pillow Talk was made, Day was at the height of her creative powers and oh, how her star did shine! The film, a blatant attempt to pair the #1 Box Office Female (Day) with the #1 Box Office Male (Rock Hudson) in a sex romp, is plain, unadulterated fun. From the happy-clap of the opening credits — all bubble bath pink and pajama pretty — to the daring (for its time) finale, Pillow Talk sizzles with wit, what used to be called ‘pizazz’, and with producer Ross Hunter’s trademark taste, elegance and style.
http://brattleblog.brattlefilm.org/?p=356
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 13 Jan 2009, 17:57

Bryan - it's different how people perceive things - I think the worst wrong was Brad's deceit of Jan - even though he did [obviously] grow to love her! I know- only a film but my sympathy is with Jan - and jealously - with Brad [for getting her]!

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree » 23 Jan 2009, 23:15

I just got finished watching this movie. It was very entertaining, and really enjoyed it! This is one I would buy the DVD.
Someone said that there were no party lines after 1959. Not true. I think it depended on the area where you live! As late as the mid 70's I had a party line living in Boston! I was young, and needed to save money.
I remember that briefly, my parents in the 1960's had a party line, then switched to a regular phone line.
So cute that this movie is written around a party phone line!
Loved this movie!

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk » 25 Jan 2009, 01:13

That is a very nice review!! I liked it a lot. :D

~Nicki~

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 01 Feb 2009, 11:20

although it did occur to me this time that Doris' character could have been a bit more 'forgiving' at the end and accepted 'Brad's' declaration of love rather than...
Never, Bryan - I little suffering is a must... :twisted: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 01 Feb 2009, 11:39

I was just reading my postscript to Ralph McKnight's excellent review of "Pillow Talk"

Including the amusing comment:
"Doris Day gave a highly professional and spirited performance. Audiences were laughing so loudly that they didn't catch her periodic overacting which becomes more obvious after you've seen the film a dozen times over the years. Overall, however, it garnered for her the well-deserved Oscar nomination as Best Actress. And, even today, younger people who first see this picture fall in love with Miss Day."
http://www.dorisday.net/pillow_talk.html

"It's difficult now to imagine the excitement that "Pillow Talk" generated when it was first shown. Doris Day and Rock Hudson were both huge stars at the time and the film was risky and groundbreaking for both of them. For Hudson, his career had reached a plateau playing strong silent (humourless) types and he needed to expand his male-lead repertoire before audiences got bored. For Day, then 35, musicals were loosing their popularity and she also needed a new direction.

And what a direction! Don't forget that of the three films she made before "Pillow Talk", two were in black and white ("Teacher's Pet" and "The Tunnel of Love). The other 1959 film, "It Happened to Jane" was very much in the Doris Day stereotype – a feisty young woman standing up for her rights against all the odds. So audiences were unprepared for both the glamorously transformed Day, and the sexy titillating story - not to mention Rock Hudson doing romantic comedy.

Producer Ross Hunter, who persuaded her to play the role, claimed he was responsible for "taking Doris Day out of the kitchen and into the bedroom". Of course, today it's not a 'politically correct' movie with lines like "If there's anything worse than a woman living alone, it's a woman saying she likes it" – Thelma Ritter to Doris Day.

However, as a product of the late fifties, it was perfect and gave the careers of both stars a tremendous boost. The film was one of Universal's three biggest money-makers that year. Top was "Operation Petticoat" ($18.6m), followed by "Pillow Talk" ($15m) and "Imitation of Life" ($13m)."
Bryan James, webmaster

PS. I think "Pillow Talk" will have far outstripped "Operation Petticoat" by now with DVD sales etc

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 01 Feb 2009, 12:21

Of course, today it's not a 'politically correct' movie with lines like "If there's anything worse than a woman living alone, it's a woman saying she likes it" – Thelma Ritter to Doris Day.
No offense, Bryan, but oh do I sometimes hate these discussions about political correctness... If a woman says it to a woman: What can be politically incorrect about that??

I'll never get it... :roll:
Marion

----------

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 01 Feb 2009, 12:39

It was just a throw-away line but haven't we moved on from the fifties a bit - were it was thought that marriage was every woman's goal? And it was somehow odd if you weren't married?

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 01 Feb 2009, 13:01

I was referring to "pc" in general, like changing names of professions because they now seem politically incorrect etc.

I do think that some things in society are just being slightly exaggerated nowadays... ;)
Marion

----------

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 01 Feb 2009, 16:56

Well, in my opinion you are quite right, there are differences, different behaviour patterns as well as prejudices/old believes.

But seeing how long evolution has been going on from humans being hunters and gatherers (Where an interesting question is: Who HAD the leading role, the man as hunters or the women as the ones who sent them out to get the food?) to today, is that fact surprising after "only" less than 40 yrs of emancipation (leaving out the suffragettes)?

What I can't stand is this "forced" correctness.

E.g. in English a politician is a politician, be it male or female. In German the female gets an identifying ending to the noun; "Politiker" and PoliterkIN". Now the political correct people holding a speach addressing politicians wouldn't just start with "My fellow politicians" but "my fellow "Politiker" and Politikerinnern"".

I for myself have enough self-confidence that I don't mind to be included in the overall form of "politician", I don't have to have it split up in male and female - You know what I mean?
Marion

----------

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 01 Feb 2009, 17:16

One thing I hate is the fashion to call actresses 'actors'. Actor Nicole Kidman, etc - 'Actress' is a perfectly good word and I don't know why people had to 'update' it. The logic of it is that we'll end up with using 'Mr' as the norm, as in "Actor Mr Nicole Kidman revealed he's been a fan of actor Mr Doris Day sinced he's been a young boy." :)

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 01 Feb 2009, 18:12

You certainly got a point there. If there is a specific word like actress (that differs from the male word more than just adding two letters than in German) then it should be used if you talk about a specific lady.

But if somebody gives a thank you-speech at the Oscars to "my dear fellow actors and actresses" - doesn't that sound weird to you? For me as a women "fellow actors" would be enough and I would feel included...?

Edit
Sorry, I think I really started getting this thread off topic... :oops:
Marion

----------

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 02 Feb 2009, 08:54

Have you read this - funny, if a bit acid-tongued - some didn't like it:

Are Rock and Doris Hollywood's strangest romantic team? How about Rock and Tony Randall?
http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/24/pillowtalk1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 02 Feb 2009, 09:39

Mmmh.... too arrogant for me and he/she didn't always get the facts right...
Marion

----------

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 04 Feb 2009, 09:08

Re- the article;

I don't think it is well researched at all!

The line quoted about 'all those fabrics and all....' - was uttered by Rock [as Brad Allen] to Doris [as Jan Morrow] - an interior decorator [not fashion designer]! Doris never played a fashion designer!

Moreover, Rock Hudson was 1 year [at most 3] younger than Doris Day. He was not '20 something' when Pillow talk was made and I do not agree at all that it is surprising 'today' he would be after '30 something' Doris!

Also, I do not agree with the interpretation of the sex comedies that Doris' character was preserving her virginity - as we have discussed many times before; this is only so in Touch of Mink.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 10 Feb 2009, 07:50

These are pictures of a crawl before the cinema where the movie "Pillow Talk" ( Premiere) was playing, the crawl were restaine with a group of policeman, I do like that very much. You can see that Miss Day where very, very popular at that time.
I was forgot how it was at the cinema, then, here in Holland it was always busy and the cinema were always fulled, but not like that, what the pictures shows in New York.

One picture show Miss Day arrived in New York, promoting her movie "Pillow Talk".
ImageImageImageImage

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 » 12 Feb 2009, 19:47

Great pictures, thanks!!
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk » 22 May 2009, 11:44

I have a really random (and probably stupid) question about this movie, but it has been bugging me, so here it goes. :lol:

So, when Jan discovers that Rex is really Brad, she grabs her bags and her coat and looks ready to storm out the door. How is she planning to get home? (before Jonathan shows up at the perfect time). There is no phone, and apparently it is in the middle of nowhere ("20 miles to the nearest girl"). I don't think she would steal his car (LOL). Is she planning on having Brad drive her home? That would have been really awkward for them both. But, she does throw his coat at him...was she pretty much telling him to put on his coat and drive her home? :lol:

~Nicki~

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 22 May 2009, 13:23

Good question Nicki, I've never thought of that before. I think she was just on an impulse. She had just found out she had been lied to. And her first impulse was to pick up everything, and leave. I don't think she was thinking how she was going to get out of there, she just wanted to leave. Any other thoughts?
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 22 May 2009, 17:10

I agree with your assessment, Babe. It seems that she was so steamed up that she just wanted out of there.
Like Irene Dunne done.

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 » 22 May 2009, 17:29

I agree with you guys!
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique