Teacher's Pet

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Teacher's Pet"?

Poor
No votes
Average
No votes
Good
30%
Excellent
70%

Total votes: 74

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Teacher's Pet

Unread post by webmaster »

Hi Erica - and welcome to the forum! :)

Teacher's Pet is one of my favourites too. After all of those frantic Warner Brother's films, she played it nice and easy here, very professional and nicely understated. I think she must have been at her peek in this film, if you accept that happens around 35, which I think it does for most people. I don't see Clark Gable as being too old for her here as some have said.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

When I listen to the song it sound more like this to me...

I wanna take home a diploma, and so Ma that you love me too

Anyway.. I love the video Bryan!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Yes it's:

"I wanna take home a
diploma
and show Ma
that you love me too..."

I love this screenplay, and I think Doris was top-notch in this, as was Gable. They made a great couple, I thought. No problem with the age thing for me. And of course, Gig was wonderful too.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

Yes, you're both right - but poor old ma - imagine being Doris' mother and she's having an affair with her teacher :oops: - she deseves to be mentioned twice. :wink:

Erica_R_Stone

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone »

Hilarious!

Thanks for the welcome. Something about Teacher's Pet keeps it at the top of my list. (as I have said before, no "favorite's", as I am a true Doris Day admirer and throughly enjoy anything I see her face or hear her voice in)

I love the comedic timing and talent of Doris Day and I think it has it's place. However, in Teacher's Pet, I see the what I love most, that intelligent woman. None of her other marvelous attributes take second place to how accurately she portrays an intelligent woman. So many other actresses could only attempt at conveying intelligence, ah but in TP, Ms. Day slam dunked it.

Currently we have actresses who disguise their beauty in order to be taken seriously as an actress. (Charlize Theron for one) But Doris Day didn't compromise or hide her beauty or sexiness. And I love her in the scene where she watches Clark Gable react to MVD. I laugh every time.

I don't think CG was too old either. Nothing about this movie doesn't work for me. Perfect flow. Just enough of all the needed elements and nothing overdone.

TP, great, great movie.
"At least mine can be solved in one bedroom!"

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I love this film, it is one of my favourites and certainly one of Doris' most 'grown up' films - very intelligent, thought provoking, yet fun. However, I watched it very recently with a friend and have only one criticism - not enough Doris - a little to much Clark! However, that is a very tiny criticism for what is truly a great film.

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

I like this movie a lot. If you notice the handwriting on the blackboard in the movie (at the very beginning) I would bet you anything that is Doris' handwriting. She has a beautiful handwriting. I have gotten several handwritten cards from her and it is exactly the same. I love it when she sings to Clark " I'm The Girl You Invented Rock & Roll".

Carol

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Re:

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

dayniac wrote: Image

Hahaaa - i love this pic!! Its great!!!!! First time I watched this movie I didn't care for it to much ... I thought Gable and DD don't have THAT great chemistry and I would agree that he was a bit to old for her kinda ... *but* after rewatching it .... I really became to like it very much - I love the scene where she sings that rockn roll thing .... and I love the scene in the elevator .... very cute!
And I agree about Gig Young - very good :D
Overall I rated it "good" :D

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell »

Just realized I haven't rated or commented on one of my favorites, even though I've only watched it twice... LOVE Teacher's Pet, a quality film all the way. I also love the fact that it's in black and white, it totally fits the tone of the film -- the time (50's) and the theme (newspaper world), it's clear and sharp, the acting and script are top notch and so sophisticated. I think it's held up so well that it seems like a new film that takes place in the 50's. But where are this kind of films today?!

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

I love this movie. It is so well written and the script is so tight. Its really a precursor to Pillow Talk in the sense of the mistaken identity aspect. The lines, the acting. I though this was wonderful. I think it should have been more popular at the time because it is so good. One of her best.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Yes jake I have to agree with you there, teachers pet always reminded me of the original pillow talk. Had teachers pet been a top drawer glossy ross hunter production, it would be very simular . loved both movies...
suzie

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

I really like this movie and Clark Gable and Doris Day have good onscreen chemistry. But I also had the feeling that whenever Gable was around Doris was slightly nervous and reserved. I can't blame the girl though, Gable was a very handsome man and sure knew his way with women. I love the part when Gable kisses her and she stumbles right down the step to her desk.
webmaster wrote:(also after Vivien Leigh saying he had really bad breath when she had to kiss him in "Gone With the Wind" - too much information!) ...
I know apparently this was caused by cheap dentures. Too bad they didn't have Tic Tacs back then or did they? :lol: Never heard Doris complain about bad breath though or anyone else for that matter just that actresses preferred not to kiss him.

There was also a rumor that Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable didn't get along but in fact they did. Gable once said in a vintage article that they each had their partners and Vivien wasn't interested in him one bit so there was no reason for him to really think about anything romantic but Gable had the utmost respect for Leigh. BTW, I love Gone with the Wind. Gable was perfect as Rhett Butler.

fontella

Unread post by fontella »

I haven't seen this one yet although the dvd waits on my bookshelf. Doris Day - Clark Gable pairing seems odd but I'll have to see if the pairing works better than I imagine.
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."- Albert Schweitzer

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

I haven't seen this movie yet, but is on the top of my netflix list. I put it on the top because I saw a clip of Doris saying that her favorite movie she made is, Teachers Pet!!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

littlepinetree wrote:I haven't seen this movie yet, but is on the top of my netflix list. I put it on the top because I saw a clip of Doris saying that her favorite movie she made is, Teachers Pet!!
This is a very good movie. But, I've always heard that DoDo's favorite movie of hers was Calamity Jane... Now, on Doris Day Today with John Denver.. I heard her and him sing a song where John said his favorite of her songs was Que Sera, and she said Teacher's Pet was her favorite..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

I heard her and him sing a song where John said his favorite of her songs was Que Sera, and she said Teacher's Pet was her favorite..
Which doesn't necessarily have to be true but might have only been said to fit the joke ("Can I stay after class?") . ;)
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Ive always thought that "Teachers Pet " was a shadowing of things to come, like the fabulous " Pillow Talk ".
suzie

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

My Mom (who is the same age as Doris) and I just watched "Teachers Pet." We both enjoyed it so much! I'm glad my Mom enjoyed it because she never liked Doris Day when I was growing up. My Mom is very much an egg head, being both a classical musician and an English teacher, but being a retired English teacher I think is why she enjoyed this movie.
By the time Doris made this movie, I can tell she was comfortable in her acting career. She was wonderful in this! I'm singing "The Teachers Pet" song now! Love it! :D

fontella

Unread post by fontella »

I watched this a couple of days ago. I can't help it but this Day - Gable thing feels awkward. Gable was just too, how should I put this... old. Sorry Clark to diss you like this on your birthday and all. :wink:
Doris was lovely, as always :D
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."- Albert Schweitzer

webmaster

Actress Doris Day with Tennis Champ Pancho Gonzalez
"With screen star Doris Day as a pupil, pro tennis champ Pancho Gonzalez really has a racket, pointing out a few tips in Hollywood. Miss Day, who recently took up the game, received the advice on the set of Paramount's "Teacher's Pet," visited by Gonzalez, who returned to his tennis tour."
Image © Bettmann/CORBIS

ON THIS DAY IN MOVIES: TEACHER’S PET:
http://www.hollywoodoutbreak.com/2009/0 ... chers-pet/

(You can alter your settings in Profile if you don't want to be notified of Replies,)

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

That was interesting thanks! I think Teacher's Pet is a great movie. It's funny and you can actually learn a lot while watching it too.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Always enjoyed Teacher's Pet and Doris was sexy in her take of the song, The Girl who invented rock an roll! Bryan said one of my Facebook pictures remind him of Teacher's Pet! Not sure which photo???

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

I seriously doubt that Doris meant that Teacher's Pet was really her favorite. I am much more inclined to think it would be something like I REMEMBER YOU, which she recorded twice in her vintage years.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I don't know if she feels this way today, but a number of years ago, during a radio interview, Doris mentioned "The More I See You" as one of her very favorite songs. She also mentioned that when she vocalizes with a pianist, she likes to sing "A Foggy Day in London Town." According to her, it covers all the bases.
Like Irene Dunne done.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

YES, YES, YES....either of those would be more believable. And NO ONE has ever sung THE MORE I SEE YOU better than Doris (either time...cuz she recorded that one twice, too).