Teacher's Pet

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Teacher's Pet"?

Poor
No votes
Average
No votes
Good
30%
Excellent
70%

Total votes: 74

Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Teacher's Pet

Unread post by Johnny »

Doris Day and Clark Gable made a great, sophisticated and funny couple in Teacher's Pet. The film moved at a fast pace, was well acted and written. It is as enjoyable today as it was in 1958.

Good work stands the test of time. This is why Doris Day (and Clark Gable) are so wonderful and enjoyable to watch fifty years later. Their work is far superior to most of the actors working today.

Johnny
Johnny

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Signature tune, reposted.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I have this movie and love it. I still say it has a whole lot of "Pillow Talk " in it. Give it the ole Ross Hunter gloss and put it in color and you have a early version of P T. Gonna watch it today ... :D
suzie

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlegoldfish666 »

I love this movie too. I remember I saw it years ago and instantly loved it, I thought about it often but I only got it on DVD recently :D

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

There IS one actress today (AND ONLY ONE) who comes CLOSE to the skill of Doris Day...and that would be Meryl Streep. Unfortunately, though she tries, Streep cannot sing. (I thought the singing in MAMA MIA was a disaster. )So, in that respect Doris bests her. Streep as Julia Child....MAGNIFICENT.
I have only seen one actress/singer since Doris retired that I think could possibly do a good job singing if she took it seriously...I refer to Katherine Zeta Jones. I just saw her in the revival of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC on Broadway with Angela Lansbury. She "glows" on the stage, just like Doris would if SHE did Broadway. And when she sang "Send in the Clowns", I was truly impressed. If you can see the show...DO. You will be pleasantly surprised.
TEACHER'S PET was a great movie and a great learning experience. At the time it came out, I was teaching three subjects..English, Drama and Journalism. All my students loved the movie.

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

I'm not really a fan of Meryl Streep. But it has nothing to do with her acting abilities, just my personal preference :oops:

Man I wish I was around at the time of Doris Day movies to truly experience the movies in their hayday :( It must have been something else :)

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

Sorry for the double post. But I watched this again tonight. I just love this movie. Especially the scene in the nightclub? That was hilarious. Gallagher/Gannon was trying not to cringe and Erica was trying not to laugh :lol: And Hugo and Gannon trying to get each other drunk :P

But I got a question. Why was it filmed in black and white? A few of Doris's other films which were done before this was in colour. Or were they changed to colour at some point?

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I think it was filmed in black and white to give it that "newspaper" flavor. I love the film, and I think, in this case, black and white works well.
Like Irene Dunne done.

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

Oh right, yes that does make sense :D This is one of my favourite Doris films so it must have worked :wink:

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

mikeydv wrote:There IS one actress today (AND ONLY ONE) who comes CLOSE to the skill of Doris Day...and that would be Meryl Streep. Unfortunately, though she tries, Streep cannot sing. (I thought the singing in MAMA MIA was a disaster. )So, in that respect Doris bests her. Streep as Julia Child....MAGNIFICENT.
I have only seen one actress/singer since Doris retired that I think could possibly do a good job singing if she took it seriously...I refer to Katherine Zeta Jones. I just saw her in the revival of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC on Broadway with Angela Lansbury. She "glows" on the stage, just like Doris would if SHE did Broadway. And when she sang "Send in the Clowns", I was truly impressed. If you can see the show...DO. You will be pleasantly surprised.
TEACHER'S PET was a great movie and a great learning experience. At the time it came out, I was teaching three subjects..English, Drama and Journalism. All my students loved the movie.
I do not agree with you, Meryl sings well :D In "Mama mia" has proved that she can sing :D Meryl is an excellent actress :D
Of course not sing so wonderfully as Doris, there is no such possibility of vocal and such a beautiful voice :D Doris sings like an angel :D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great pics. Especially the close up from what looks like the Oscar rehearsal show with Gable.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Thank you Jas1 :D

ImageImageImage

Wonderful movie, great acting :D

Have a nice day :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Hollywood

Unread post by Hollywood »

Screenwriter, Former Academy President Fay Kanin Dies
"She and her late husband, Michael, were a formidable Hollywood writing team, with credits including the delightful “Teacher’s Pet.”
"The Kanins shared an Oscar nom for their spunky romantic comedy Teacher’s Pet (1958), starring Clark Gable as a newspaper editor and Doris Day as a journalism teacher."
Read More Here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... nin-431454

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

So sorry to hear the news. I met Ms Kanin about 5 years ago, and she was a delight to be with. She asked me if DD was still with us. I told her that our girl was alive and well, and she began to clap. She was happy to hear it, and I was happy to meet her. May she rest in peace!
Like Irene Dunne done.

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

In a biography of Clark Gable some discussion takes place about the filming of Teacher's Pet. The most interesting topic is why the movie was filmed in black and white. The quotes states that filming in black and white permits filming at a quicker pace. Also the black and white film process is less costly. Also Clark Gable felt that the black and white process would diminish the appearance of his jawls.
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

webmaster wrote:Image

"Teacher's Pet... I wanna be Teacher's Pet... I wanna take home Ma, diploma
and show Ma that you love me too... I wanna be Teacher's Pet... long after school is through...

Time to review "Teacher's Pet":
Refresh your memory: http://dorisday.net/teacher_s_pet.html - how do you rate it?
I have just seen it,again, and I JUST LOVE IT..

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Doris carries out the role of the professor of jounalism with great skill and believability. The pairing of Clark Gable of Doris is inspired. The director, George Seaton moves the story along at a fast pace with a great supporting cast. The story is the traditional battle of the sexes. One could see Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy in thse roles.

Watching Doris watching Mamie Van Doren sing is priceless. The filming in black and white works really well for a jounalism and neswpapers. Gig Young and (Nick Adams, who was in Pillow Talk) are terrific.

Thsi is one of Doris' best roles and Clark's as well. They both should ahve been nominated for Academy Awards.

This 1958 film hold up really well to this day.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Agree Johnny, one of Doris' most subdued understated but wonderful performances.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Was watching the clip of Doris and Clark Gable at the 1958 Oscar presentation and they were regal together. To think Clark would be dead in two years after the telecast. Doris should have run with the Oscar she was presenting to someone else because she more than any one deserved one. A year after this show Doris would ne number one at the box office for years. I think the studio system molded her not Marty. They knew what they were doing back then with tremendous results.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

In David Kaufman's book, it is reported that Clark Gable was not the first one approached to play Doris' male lead in Teacher's Pet. Cary Grant was the first one contacted and he was not available. Jimmy Stewart was the next one approached and he was not available as well.

Fay Kanin reported that everyone was really excited when Clark Gable accepted the role. Teacher's Pet was originally written as a straight drama about a self-made man. It did not sell and that is why Kanin and her husband decided to rewrite it.

Production started on April 17th and finished on June 21st, ten days behind schedule.

To make Teacher's Pet realistic, one of the principle sets was a replica of The New York World Telegram and Sun newsroom. The paper's real-life city editor, Norman Mockridge served as technical adviser to Seaton and played an Assistant-Editor in the film. The decision to film in black and white contributed to the picture's documentary-like feeling.
In preparation for the role Day audited several journalism classes at U.C.L.A. over the course of a week. Copies of the script were sent to every paper in the country with a circulation over 100,000, and advise was sought.

Teacher's Pet received two Academy Award nominations. One was for Best Supporting Actor for Gig Young. The second nomination was for writing best original story and screenplay.
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Thanks Johnny. When Kaufman was writing his book, he and I had a memorable dinner with fabulous Fay Kanin. She asked if Doris was still alive, and when we told her that Doris is alive and well, she clapped and expressed to us how glad she was.
Like Irene Dunne done.