THE PAJAMA GAME

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "The Pajama Game"?

Poor
1%
Average
10%
Good
22%
Excellent
67%

Total votes: 82

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

THE PAJAMA GAME

Unread post by Ralph »

Bryan, I love what you've done with the site. It is truly the very best of the many Doris Day sites on the Net. Playing the opening music to each film was a great idea...you feel that you're getting ready to see the picture!

Why, in heaven's name, after that wonderful article by Richard Adler on his writing "The Man Who Invented Love," didn't you put that up for everyone to hear? Everybody has heard about the song, but some have not heard the actual recording of Doris doing it. It could start a whole new discussion about whether it should or shouldn't have been left in the final version of THE PAJAMA GAME.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

The Pajama Game

Unread post by webmaster »

Why, in heaven's name, after that wonderful article by Richard Adler on his writing "The Man Who Invented Love," didn't you put that up for everyone to hear?
I'd love to Ralph but I don't have a copy. If anyone can send me a copy I'll do it.

I love "The Pajama Game" - it's full of life and humour as well, of course, of some great songs. Doris looked very sexy in this film, I thought.
It's amazing the subtle changes to her looks with each film. The dancing was fantastic - especially "Once a Year Day" and "Steam Heat". And John Raitt was a great costar for her.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

The only "Game" in town!

Unread post by Jas1 »

Pajama Game works on every level with me. Although a musical it had a realism and I very much liked the fact Doris was fighting for the people!

She looked wonderful, sang magnificently, and the whole cast were superb. I also think this was very much an esemble piece - so much humour - overall a wonderful film experience - I could see shades of Grease when I watched this for the first time - or should i say Grease has shades of P/Game - the girls singing, the picnic dancing is very like the fairground dancing in Grease etc and Doris looked so good in her pedal pushers, tight fitting skirts and little bows around her neck!

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Doris and Bettye Shipped

Unread post by Ralph »

Bryan:

I shipped out two CDs to you today. I stood in the line at the Post Office for almost 45 minutes! Anyway, included on Doris Day's are "The Man Who Invented Love," and "We'll Love Again" from THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH.

The other CD is The Very Best of Bettye LaVette: The Motorcity Recordings. Wait 'till you hear what she does with these songs! She is the diva of soul!

bettty

Voted

Unread post by bettty »

See I voted Bryan, love this movie and Ralph that was so nice of you!

Earl

My favorite

Unread post by Earl »

I loved this movie with Doris playing a modest factory worker, enjoyig a beer with her co-workers.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Re: The Man Who Invented Love

Unread post by Ralph »

Bryan:

Perhaps if you saw the scene of "The Man Who Invented Love" (the one on the "Pajama Game" DVD). Both songs could have been sung by Doris Day. They could have added another scene to incorporate the song. She and Sid had "broken up," so the song would be approriate. Who is "the man who invented love?" He's someone that we don't know. Whoever he was, Day is saying that love has passed her by. Babe was desperately in love and to have her reprise "Hey There," they had to add new lyrics to the song: "get on the ball, girl..." They could have had Day reprise "HT" and then connect the song to "Invented Love" before fading to the next scene.

It would have been nice to have Day with her own song, instead of only reprising "Hey There." She was the star of this movie!

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

"Somebody Somewhere"

Unread post by Ralph »

Oh, I forgot to tell you, "Somebody Somewhere" is from the Frank Leoesser Broadway musical, "The Most Happy Fella."

That CD I sent you was during a period when Doris Day's voice was at its best, in the mid 50s. :lol:

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

DVD Extra

Unread post by Ralph »

It's a surprise DVD extra that they found in the vaults at Warner Brothers (it had been there since 1957!). Doris Day recorded the tune, even before she recorded "I'm Not At All In Love," according to Bear Family's discography. Then, she filmed the scene at Warners and they decided not to use it. They opted to go historical, with Day being on film singing the lengendary, "Hey There."

In the scene, Day is seated at the kitchen table doing some paperwork, her father kisses her goodnight. She seems pensive, the music creeps in and she sings "The Man Who Invented Love." The film is clear and the number is beautiful.

nelson

Unread post by nelson »

Bryan,

Doris did so many fantastic songs that never get played, it's better NOT to have Que Sera, Sera as the theme here. If you tire of Daydreaming, there are literally hundreds of other songs that showcase her talent and that have held up EXTREMELY well. Better than QSS.

QSS is an OK song but she did so many other beautiful songs that I so much prefer.

Being from England, hope you've got a copy of her "A Foggy Day in London Town." Usually that's such a sad feeling song-but not when D sings it.

I would disagree that D's voice was at it's best in the mid 50's. Her voice was ALWAYS fantastic but it is different as she aged from literally a teenager to a mature woman. Her voice developed a color and a timbre that creeped into her lower notes in her later albums that makes me truly wish she had kept singing professionally. I guess for me, D's best is whatever song played last.

I think D may have taken her voice from us just as it was about to become something even more incredible. Many of the songs Karen Carpenter did 10 years later would have been perfect for D. In fact, they both did "Our Day Will Come." which could be another theme for the website.

howard
Special Contributer

Day songs

Unread post by howard »

"Day By Day" would also be a good choice. I love what she does with it.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Barbra and Doris!

Unread post by Ralph »

One of Doris Day's finest recordings was "April in Paris." Shelley Winters wrote in her book, Doris Day's "April in Paris" was the most beautiful things I'd ever heard," something to that effect (I'm too lazy to find the exact quote in the book). It's really some glorious singing.

I've often wondered why Barbra Streisand has never acknowledged Doris as somebody she listened to, or, watched in films. She had to be aware of THE GREAT DORIS DAY! Like all of us, she must have sat in a theatre watching "Love Me Or Leave Me," or "Calamity Jane" for God's sake! Doris Day was the biggest musical star in films! Who's to say who was the biggest? Doris, Judy, Alice, F. Betty G., Jane P., Debbie, Shirley T., or Barbra S.? I think it's between Doris and Judy... and they both knew it!

nelson

Unread post by nelson »

Babs is one of the baby boomer generation who would probably have difficulty admitting that D not only had talent but had talent superior to her own.

We all have our likes and dislikes with respect to singers. Babs does have a talented, trained voice but it is not one that I can listen to with any degree of pleasure. Who knows why but that's the way it is.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Talent.

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree 100 percent with Nelson, whilst I could not detract from Barbara Streisand's talent (and appeal) she is not for me at all, the same with Celine Dion. I HATE that song from Titanic and it has almost become a running joke for everywhere I go, it seems to be playing!!!!!!!

joe t.

Shelley Winters quote

Unread post by joe t. »

Ralph,

My recollection is that Shelley Winters was living in Paris at the time and had just broken up with either a husband or boyfriend and was in an emotional depression. Doris' poignant reading of the "April In Paris" lyric had Shelley playing the record over and over and over.

A friend visited her and heard the record which by that time had gotten scratchy, the needle on the record player had probably gotten worn down. The friend said something like "Doris has a frog in her throat".

Like you, I think this is one of Doris' best recordings.

Joe

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Interesting feedback

Unread post by webmaster »

Interesting feedback - I suppose I was thinking that "Que Sera, Sera" is almost her 'logo'. Sometimes you can listen to it and it will be as if you are hearing it for the first time.. other times 'Oh, it's "Que Sera, Sera" again. But it is the song that the public mainly associate her with.

But I do like 'Day Dreaming', which was my first choice and I think I'll stick with that for now and just change the photo every now and then - perhaps a photo of her from the album or around that period? Any suggestions?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

ken c

Unread post by ken c »

Doris made so many great recordings but I think Day Dreaming is a perfect song for the forum.Que Sera Sera is a cute song but I very seldom play it.

Katie

Unread post by Katie »

I agree the Daydreaming is great for the homepage... the entire Previn album is marvelous.
- Katie

howard
Special Contributer

home page

Unread post by howard »

Bryan: the photo you've got is a great one, and if you do change it, the photo from the "Duet" album is also a good choice.

bluebird1115

Unread post by bluebird1115 »

They opted to go historical, with Day being on film singing the lengendary, "Hey There."
The use of the "Hey There" reprise at this moment is consistent with the original Broadway play.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Just Two Minutes!

Unread post by Ralph »

bluebird1115 wrote:
They opted to go historical, with Day being on film singing the lengendary, "Hey There."
The use of the "Hey There" reprise at this moment is consistent with the original Broadway play.
It might be, but the STAR of the movie, doesn't have her OWN ballad! I'm sure that's why it was determined that Doris Day should have her own ballad. Look. Here is a big Broadway musical being brought to the screen and one of the biggest musical film stars in the business doesn't have her OWN ballad. Does that make any sense?

There was room for "The Man Who Invented Love." Just two minutes, that 's all.

lalagr13

Unread post by lalagr13 »

The Pajama Game is my All- Time Most Favorite Doris Day film! i love every second of it, the songs, the dances, the cast! It's just too wonderful to put in words,lol! Doris had beautiful short blond hair, and John Raitt made an awsome co-star!
All the Love in My Heart (and then some!),
Kristian Burks
Imagination is the highest
kite that one can fly.
-Lauren Bacall-

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

WHen?

Unread post by Ralph »

Bryan:

I'm dying for you to put "The Man Who Invented Love" up on the "Pajama Game" page. Also, "We'll Love Again" on the "Man Who...Too Much" page. Most people have never heard these songs and it would open up some great discussion.

Jas1
Honorary Member

what da ya think they charge for fruit now?

Unread post by Jas1 »

I got a mention this morning on BBC Radio 2 "Sarah Kennedy" show requesting Doris (and John Raitt) singing "Small Talk" - from PJ on the "Showtune" slot. The presenter of the show "Sarah Kennedy" - admires Doris too and was not aware of Terry's demise as I know so many in the UK and Ireland are (not) It was lovely cleaning my teeth at 7.20am listening to DO-DO - afterwards Sarah Kennedy said "that was good, when the Americans get it right, they get it right" - here here - tomorrow is another of my big favourites - Gene Kelly.

brianfellows

Unread post by brianfellows »

I am a bit out of step with most other contributors on this film which I rated as only average. It was certainly a good musical and the choruses were superb. I loved "Once a Year Day". But there were too many other second rate singers for my taste and not enough Doris. I must admit to fast forwarding through some of the boring bits.