THE PAJAMA GAME

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "The Pajama Game"?

Poor
1%
Average
10%
Good
22%
Excellent
67%

Total votes: 82

howard
Special Contributer

pg

Unread post by howard »

The newly revised broadway version of "Pajama Game" was a big hit. (I believe it closed last week). I listened recently to the orig. cast album. Harry Connick is quite good (I always liked him) and the leading lady, Kelli O'Hara is also good, BUT she just doesn't give the songs that great gusto/spirit that Doris delivers so well. In all fairness, it probably was not O'Hara's fault ... chances are, she was just following directions.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Doris Day Owns "Babe Williams"

Unread post by Ralph »

Harry and his leading lady did a medley of the songs from the show on the recent Tony Awards. They were both awful. Doris Day OWNS "Babe Williams."

No actress/singer can step in and be better than Doris. None of them!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Here Here Ralph!

Unread post by Jas1 »

Have to Agree Ralph!

Compare Doris' 'Wonderful Guy' to Mitzi's or even worse, Dame Kiri's!

Her renditions of 'Annie get your gun' leave Betty Hutton and Ethel Merman in the cold!

Doris' 'I got it bad and that ain't good' - is the best "ever ever ever" and I have all the top notch jazz and standard singers singing this one

Her 'Sound of Music' certainly equals Julie's as does her her "As Long as he needs me' (Shirley's version); and her 'Over the Rainbow' - Judy.

In other words (fly me to the moon) - Doris either equals classics sung by others or surpasses them in most instances.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

7.5 Cent

Unread post by Ralph »

The subway and bus in New York used to cost $0.15. Today, it cost $2.00 and the Transit Authority wants to raise it next year.

helen1985

Unread post by helen1985 »

Ive just read about this extra song that was written for the film, The man who invented love.. and it said that its available as an "extra" on the DVD.. although I dont have it on mine?

I just noticed that someone has already brought this song up.. is there anyway to hear/see it? was it filmed for the movie and then cut or was it never filmed at all?

helen1985

Thanks!

What a gorgeous song! why on earth was this not included in the movie? I love it!!

Although my favourite song is there once was a man!! I cant stop listening to it! I think I may have to find the soundtrack to the PG!!

helen1985

Hi guys, just a quick question

I have the PG soundtrack from a long time ago, but do any of you know if there is a version available featuring Doris? I have a different version, and obviously I would love to hear Doris singing the songs instead. I only have her doing "Im not at all in love" and " there once was a man"

thanks, Helen

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Yes, it's available on cd. It even has the extra song, "The Man Who Invented Love." It's an AWFUL song and one can see immediately why it was cut and replaced with a reprise of "Hey There." But Doris sings it beautifully anyway.

Here you go Helen:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pajama-Game-Dor ... 105&sr=1-2

I

helen1985

Thank you soooooo much! I knew someone would come to my rescue!!

Do you really not like the extra song? I really think its beautiful! I hear Doris was dissapointed when it didnt make the movie?

Helen

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Hi Helen, I just read the earlier posts and I see that I am the odd man out. LOL! I didn't realize people had been talking about it just a few posts before! I really do not like that song at all, especially the lyrics. But what's great is that it's there for all the people that do. God bless cd's and dvd's! They make it easier to play songs over that you like, and easier to skip songs that you don't! Everybody wins! LOL!!

BTW, if you can track down the dvd with the footage of the song, it's worth hearing the difference in the arrangements between the way Doris recorded it for the movie (on the DVD) and the way she recorded it for Columbia Records (on the CD). Her vocal is great on both versions, of course!

helen1985

Hi John,
Your right about CD's and DVD's, a great invention indeed.
I have 2versions of the DVD but neither have this song on, one of them has a theatrical trailer and the other has nothing? Any idea which cover features the song?
The two I have are both Red covers but are slightly different from each other, one has a white border with all the songs included written around the edge.

Helen

and the CD do you mean the Soundtrack? it didnt feature on any of Doris' albums did it??

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

The DVD with the song on it may not be available in England. It's on the US version, but that is not compatible with the players in Great Britain.

Aside from the Soundtrack, the only cd I know you where you can hear Doris' Columbia recording of the song, is the 3rd Bear Family boxset, Que Sera. It was released as a single, and never appeared on one her albums.

Interestingly, the Soundtrack CD uses her single version, not the one recorded for the film. So if you can get the CD and the DVD, you'll have both versions.

Natalier

Great movie

Unread post by Natalier »

I love the Pajama Game its one of my favourite movies. I love the music in it and the fab dancing
Its a great feeling

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I just love this movie. I think its a great - top notch musical. The part of Babe was perfect for Doris. I wonder if it was a little difficult to step into the role with most of the cast coming from the Broadway play. Of course, Doris was such a professional she probably didn't have much trouble. She certainly was fantastic in this role. Have to rate it excellent.

Toni

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

The Man Who Invented Love

Unread post by webmaster »

You can listen to "The Man Who Invented Love" here:

http://www.dorisday.net/the_pajama_game2.htm

Turn your sound on - it plays automatically.

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

LOve the pictures Tony and Bryan.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I absolutely love that scene in the kitchen !! And with a completely different feeling the There Once Was a Man scene. They really were so good together - even if John was a little stiff.
Of course you can't beat DD's opening number - I'm Not At All In Love.
She was superb in this one.

Thanks for the link to the song. Love it !!

Toni

Jas1
Honorary Member

PJ

Unread post by Jas1 »

I love that Kitchen too and Babe's style, those little scarves around the neck, the wonderful figure hugging pencil skirts etc. I love the old coffee maker too, and I love the scene of the gang drinking beer later [in the kitchen]. Babe is a character I very much relate to - doing [or trying to] do the right thing. I have represented staff here [for alot of years] as their Branch rep [union] and sometimes in difficult times [negotiations etc] I [inwardly] chuckle thinking of Babe, why can't we have a Babe Williams on our Branch. Wonder what they would do if i burst into a rendition of 'I'm not at all in love' in the middle of a meeting? Sometimes life SHOULD be more like a musical!

John M
Honorary Member

Re: PJ

Unread post by John M »

Jas1 wrote:Sometimes life SHOULD be more like a musical!
Amen to that! My feelings exactly.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Oh - I agree !! Come to think of it, we could use someone like Babe at my job !!!
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Natalier

Unread post by Natalier »

i love this movie it has a great cast and the scene with Doris and John were really funny. My fav song is there once was a man thats a great scene
Its a great feeling

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

As with all of doris movies,I liked this one .Not my favorite ,but cute none the less.Doris is GREAT in all of her movies.Any faults in any of her movies,certainly have nothing to do with her performance .
I actually played in the p.j. game in my high school musical,we had a blaste doing the show.It was fun doing one of dodo,s shows.
suzie

Jas1
Honorary Member

P J

Unread post by Jas1 »

There just is NO ONE who is Babe Williams, but Doris Day - sorry Janis, I am sure you were great on Broadway, but to me, Doris is Babe, is Doris...

The scene where she first comes onto screen is amazing, that sexy short hair and those fabulous eyes. I think John Raitt was a good co-star for Doris, a nice big, sexy man and that is what she deserved.

dave
Honorary Member

Nothing's quite the same as....

Unread post by dave »

Seems to me there is a shot of DD in a dowdy wig, turning around from her sewing machine to see the new guy, that establishes Babe as a "worker".. BEFORE she comes onto the screen in her opening scene..

Asking again: anyone else notice this shot or wonder?

But anyway... The Pajama Game seems to have WON some kind of unofficial Forum popularity contest...twice as many "Replies", twice as many "Views", twice as many "Pages" of Replies as ANY OTHER of the 39!!
Voted "excellent" by more than 90% of Forum voters.

Was it all about the extra song in the DVD? Or is it true that..."Nothing's quite the same as THE PAJAMA GAME"?

(DD's only film of a Broadway show, Raitt's only screen performance, numbers like "Steam Heat" and "Hernando's Hideaway"--Top 10 songs, back in the "day", etc)

John M
Honorary Member

Re: Nothing's quite the same as....

Unread post by John M »

dave wrote:Seems to me there is a shot of DD in a dowdy wig, turning around from her sewing machine to see the new guy, that establishes Babe as a "worker".. BEFORE she comes onto the screen in her opening scene..

Asking again: anyone else notice this shot or wonder?
No, Dave, there is no shot of Doris like that before she enters in her opening scene.