THE PAJAMA GAME

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "The Pajama Game"?

Poor
1%
Average
10%
Good
22%
Excellent
67%

Total votes: 82

mikeydv
Music Master

Re: THE PAJAMA GAME

Unread post by mikeydv »

Believe it or not, the recent Broadway revival was very good. kelly OHara and Harry connick, Jr did an incredible job, even if they really did steal the choregraphy for THERE ONCE WAS A MAN from Doris and Joh n.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Really Suzie?!? Who did you play?
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

Ever since The Pajama Game was released, there's a scene in the opening song Racing With The Clock which has intrigued me. After Eddie Foy Jr. starts the song, three of the females wonder about Sid, the new superintendent. Barbara Nichols sings "What do you think of the new superintendent? then the heavy set lady replies "he's cute", and finally a blonde in the background sings "he'll never last". The more I hear the "he'll never last'" lyric, the more I am convinced it sounds like Doris Day's voice. What do you all think?

The same blonde in question appears right before the I'm Not At All In Love number when all the girls are sitting on the stairs. Doris remarks something to the effect that if Sid had hit the worker, he would have broken him in two. To which all the girls start on Doris. Notice the blonde in question who sang "he'll never last". When she states "Babe noticed" it's a completely different voice than in the singing segment of "Racing". Again, compare and see what you think?

Happy Days,
Texas Gonzalo

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlegoldfish666 »

I saw this the other day for the first time and quite enjoyed it. I watched it again and enjoyed it better the second time. Now I can't stop listening to the song "I'm not at all in love" Is that the right name?

She never ceases to amaze me with her wide range in different types of songs she can sing.

I gotta say this too though. I liked, um, Grace? The woman running around with the boss mans books, and running away from the crazy dude with the knives :P She was a hoot.

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

So yeah, I watched that scene when Babe was singing in her room, "Hey there" I think the songs called. That was so sad, she sang that with so much emotion, I was bubbling up :shock: And I'm not mormally one for weeping at movies, any movies :o But you just felt the pain.

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

I capped The Pajama Game, now all I gotta do is upload the caps :D

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I gotta say this too though. I liked, um, Grace? The woman running around with the boss mans books, and running away from the crazy dude with the knives She was a hoot.
That was Carol Haney, one of the original Broadway cast - she was great, especially doing "Steam Heat"

I really enjoyed "The Pajama Game" - the whole team were excellent and if I could type more quickly I'd mention "Once a Year Day" and many other scenes (and character parts) where the film excelled - and it was staged by the great Bob Fosse. It's one of my top 5 Doris films.

Thanks for the clips - if you want to see a few more and listen to "The Man Who Invented Love" -
http://www.dorisday.net/the_pajama_game2.htm
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

While I like the way Doris plays that scene, I never liked "The Man Who Invented Love." I think it's a pretty mediocre song. I think they made the right choice. John M

Even a mediocre song sounds great when Doris sings it...I happen to like it...a lot. When I look at the Doris Day catalog of music...ALL OF IT....I can count on one hand the songs I could have done without...but i am glad I don't have to.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

mikeydv wrote:While I like the way Doris plays that scene, I never liked "The Man Who Invented Love." I think it's a pretty mediocre song. I think they made the right choice. John M

Even a mediocre song sounds great when Doris sings it...I happen to like it...a lot. When I look at the Doris Day catalog of music...ALL OF IT....I can count on one hand the songs I could have done without...but i am glad I don't have to.
good morning ...I completely agree with you dear Mike....DM

webmaster

Actually, I like the song, it has a sadness about it that makes you think about lost love, and Doris sings it beautifully - also it was part of the film.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Enjoy the Pyama Game, love the close-ups, I do love this movie, thank you for sharing these image-clips.
Have download some of them.
Puck

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Find this rare photo on ebay.

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

That's a great picture, Puck! 8)
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

webmaster

A couple of PJ pics:

webmaster

Nice page on The Pajama Game with songs from the film and info on other productions:

http://soundtracktomyday.blogspot.com/2 ... -game.html

webmaster

Doris Day singing "Hey There" from The Pajama Game.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I really adore this film. No one looks better in the pencil skirt (or even the overall) than DD!

webmaster

True, Jas - it never seems to age, does it. Doris' DA looks just as cool today too! :)

And "Once A Year Day" is a riot!

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

I like this film---tons of fun !
However, when it comes to singing I cannot say it was a role that provided Doris with enough opportunities to do her customary beautiful ballad singing. The tunes in that show were practically all upbeat BROADWAY tunes where the words are really more important than the singing and of course Doris delivered well on that aspect.
Her HEY THERE reprise on her bed was dramatically effective but I would not say it was her finest vocal work---here I am strictly referring to the purely vocal aspect. Doris was always justifiably famous and world-reknown for her ballad singing---for me both she and Perry Como were experts in the genre.
The special song written for DD for PG---THE MAN WHO INVENTED LOVE----was not a very well-written song. I heard it once and it was not up to the same standard as the other songs of the film. It was a wise decision not to include it the final edition of the film as it would have held up the action and Doris vocally was not given the best material that would show her to better advantage---again on a vocal basis.
That being said- her performance has plenty of zip and zing ! Great energy level as well !

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Well I finally got to watch the movie and overall it portraits so much.The theme is magnificent,the result fabulous when the whole cast is in the pajamaparade,as a musical it is fenomenal,what costumes,what singing,what dancing.And Doris is glowing and has starry eyes.I particularly love the scene in the car by her house and it makes me think of the attitude of Calamity and the style.
Pity this movie has never been in the spotlights.Stanley Donen,right?Big name though.
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Romance on the Doris DAY Forum..lovely picture,Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Isn't it great Dorine?

A true ensemble piece,but Doris [unintentionally] steals every scene she is in!

I remember the first time I saw this on video - it just took my breath away when Babe made her first scene- those eyes!

Doris had a wonderful naturalness; earthyness & sexyness in this film!

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Unread post by lovemeorleaveme »

I love this photo of Doris and John (the one just above this comment)! Those two definitely had great chemistry--and this photo sort of makes you hold your breath in anticipation....! :)

Doris is so beautiful--it's no wonder that most of her leading men fell in love with her! :)

Hope you're all having a lovely "Day"! :)

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

And premiere picture of the Radio Music Hall in New York.

webmaster

Great pics, Puck. I really like this kind of shot: