THE PAJAMA GAME

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "The Pajama Game"?

Poor
1%
Average
10%
Good
22%
Excellent
67%

Total votes: 82

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

John, you're right, sorry. Finally--I got smart, paused the action, and saw that it isn't DD at the sewing machine in the first minute of the film.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Re: P J

Unread post by Ralph »

Jas1 wrote:There just is NO ONE who is Babe Williams, but Doris Day - sorry Janis, I am sure you were great on Broadway, but to me, Doris is Babe, is Doris...

The scene where she first comes onto screen is amazing, that sexy short hair and those fabulous eyes. I think John Raitt was a good co-star for Doris, a nice big, sexy man and that is what she deserved.

There are some interesting customer reviews for this soundtrack and movie at amazon.com Many comparisons to Janis Paige vs Doris Day. Of course, Paige's voice could never compare to Day's, plus, she sang her "er's" at the end of words where Doris would sing "nevah" instead of "never." That made a difference. I learned that in choir in high school, you never sing the "er's." :lol:

JohnG

Pajama Game

Unread post by JohnG »

I think it was a fabulous film. One of her best. I remember I saw it 9 times and now have it on DVD. Have watched it many times since.
jrg

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja »

Hi @ all,

Tanja :D

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

The Pajama Game

Unread post by webmaster »

"Small Talk":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pTgA0nLT9Y

The Pajama Game, (DVD) Review by Tim Wong
"DORIS DAY, America’s virtuous sweetheart, made an entire screen career out of her prim, button-nosed upkeep; blonde becoming not only the hair colour of fun, but insurmountable purity.
Come the sixties, Day remained firmly upright in her spotless self-image, a virtue sorely lacking in today’s corruptible celebrity.

When no longer in vogue, she begrudgingly signed off with the out-of-date Doris Day Show, a small-screen foray that coincided awkwardly with The Graduate, Counter Culture and the Vietnam War. Now appearing as somewhat of an artifact in these Warner Bros. reissues, Day seemingly expired with the sexual revolution, one of the last deities of Hollywood’s dream factory and the collective hypnosis it helped maintain. If the movies were an illusion, Doris Day was the prism that skewered a harsh reality.

And yet, to consider The Pajama Game a frivolous precursor to a decade of unease is to deny the very levity and escapism of musicals; even today, the gleam of Day’s persona brightens any room, at least until the malaise of the 6 o’clock news rolls around.
On opposite sides of an employment dispute, Doris falls for factory superintendent John Raitt; the couple striving to requite their love while negotiating picket lines, pay parity, and labour strikes.

Day and her sweatshop colleagues get their 7 ½ cents raise in the end, but not before riding a conveyor belt of song and dance: “I’m Not at All in Love” the best of the Doris Day numbers, punctuated by Bob Fosse’s unpredictable choreography, and Stanley Donen’s sprightly economy of movement. Then things really take off when the employees are treated to a company picnic, costumed in a confectionary of blinding seasonal attire from a wardrobe that Jacques Demy surely raided when he made The Young Girls of Rochefort.
Through all of this, Day never wavers from her wholesome core; her sunny disposition never threatened, her decency never questioned. After all, what could be more virginal than a film about pajamas?"
http://www.lumiere.net.nz/reader/item/1012

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Actually more of a rant than a review.

To read it is to feel yourself tied in knots--so many points, so much never-ending guilt to be spread around. Where to start?

Get him to Speakers Corner.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Review

Unread post by Ralph »

DVD club

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pajama Game

Philip French
Sunday September 2, 2007
The Observer

1957, U, Warner Brothers
Directed by Stanley Donen and George Abbott

The Pajama Game was showing at Manhattan's Radio City Music Hall the week I arrived in the States as a graduate student 50 years ago this week. It was the first movie I saw on American soil so has a special place in my heart. Astonishingly, here in the McCarthy Era was a pro-union musical with a doughty heroine from a blue-collar family leading the grievance committee at a Midwestern factory and helping organise a strike demanding a pay rise. Her lover was not the spoilt son of a rich merchant, but an ambitious young man moving from foreman to manager.

I was entranced. Its dozen songs by Richard Adler and Jerry Ross have witty lyrics and memorable melodies. The brilliantly varied choreography by Bob Fosse ranges from the exuberant workers' picnic number 'My Once a Year Day' with 100 performers, to the comically sinister tango 'Hernando's Hideaway'. The great cinematographer Harry Stradling moves his camera lyrically to accompany the dancing. And then there is Doris Day as Babe Williams, the only Hollywood addition to the Broadway cast led by Carol Haney, Eddie Foy Jr and John Raitt in his one leading role.

The film stands up today as one of the great musicals, as perfect a thing as Stanley Donen ever wrought.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I agree, it is one of the great musicals .... certainly one of DD's best! Does anyone know why it's never aired on television? Music rights? Copyrights? Some kind of legality? As Yul Brynner once said: "tis a puzzlement!"

webmaster

The Pajama Game

I was just thinking the same, Howard.

I was writing this and you pipped me at the post:

Thanks for that Ralph, very interesting. I remember seeing The Pajama Game for the first time at an 'art house' cinema in Hampstead at the end of the eighties. It was glorious - I loved Steam Heat and Once a Year Day - and of course all of Doris' numbers. It's one of my favourite Doris films.

For some reason it's kind of a rare film - I've only ever seen it once on TV and that was so long ago I've forgotten when. Do you know why that is? Compared to all of Doris' other Warner films it hardly ever gets an outing.

(So yes, it has been on TV - in the UK- at least once.)

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

even today, the gleam of Day’s persona brightens any room, at least until the malaise of the 6 o’clock news rolls around.

That line is certainly true !

I don't understand the absence of this movie on TV. You guys are right - on TCM, for instance, they never include this one on the DD days. Strange. One of her best musicals.

I love Steam Heat too - great ! So 50's !!

Its time to dust this one off and watch it again !

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I once e-mailed Robert Osborne, host of TCM films, and asked him the very same question ... why is it never shown? I didn't receive an answer. My guess is that it's tied up in legalities. I love the film, and I think it's one of DD's very best! I'd love to see it on tv!

webmaster

The Pajama Game

Great pics, Toni - I really love the Pajama Game - I think it's even underated among DD fans - or not mentioned too often - but it's an unusual film in many ways. Called "The first left-wing operatta" by Jean Luc Godard, you probably need or like to get carried away to enjoy it! :lol: Carry me away!!

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Me too !! :lol:

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

The NEXT person who posts a reply will bring the total "replies" to 100 for "The Pajama Game", far more than for any of the other films.

Number of "pages"? More. Number of "Views"? Far more.

The pajama game is the game we love.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Couldn't resist.....!!!! I adore Pajama Game. Do I get a prize?????

c.j

Unread post by c.j »

This is definetly in the top 10 the music her singing the music to bad they cut the song (The Man who Invented love anyway). the cast and wow John Raitt my favorite song and scene There once was a man...

debey

where is "the pajama game"

Unread post by debey »

:roll: does anyone know why "the pajama game" is never televised, at least here in the u.s.? that is the only doris day movie i have not seen and there must be a reason it does not come on t.v.

debey

Unread post by debey »

:?: oops, i am not the only one interested in seeing "the pajama game". for what it's worth i just e-mailed tcm and asked "why"? if i get an answer i will let you all know. i am on a mission, to see this movie on tv and find "the films of doris day" without paying a million dollars for it! make it a great DAY.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

1 thing to say...

LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!

hence my display name being Babe Williams,
this movie is one of my favorites...
It is kind of weird this movie has never been on, between TCM and AMC they always have Doris Day movies on, just not this one
Any who, in my high school we have this singing group called Encore
the 6 best supranos, 6 best altos, 6 best teners, and 6 best base get in...
you can only get in if there are seniors graduating...

I sang Hey There
and made it into the Alto section...

LOVE the songs and the movie... and... LOVED Doris!!!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

The Pajama Game

I've still never manage to get a copy of the DVD with "The Man Who Invented Love" on it? Has anyone got it?
Could ya maybe post that clip on YouTube? Or send to me and I will? I'd love to see/hear it.

You can listen to it here:
http://www.dorisday.net/the_pajama_game2.htm

Doris sure looks perky in it! :)

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

The man who inventend love

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi Bryan,

That's my problem too, I've got three diverent dvd's of this film, but this song is on neither of them.

Peter

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

I'd really like to see this clip too!!! We have a problem don't we... but yes... PLEASE can someone post this... I'd LOVE to see it
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

OMG on this link you can watch the Pajama Game...like said before... but if you click the button next to the volume button... on the left... you can see it full screen!!!

http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketel ... heme=guide
Megan
-----------------

webmaster

The Pagama Game Soundtrack