Calamity Jane

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Calamity Jane"?

Poor
1%
Average
No votes
Good
10%
Excellent
89%

Total votes: 88

melancholy
Honorary Member

Re: Calamity Jane

Unread post by melancholy »

As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

melancholy
Honorary Member

Sorry Lauren,there is a way of moving the second page so you can see and read it,but There is no other size,Puck can you help please?thanks.
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

The size isn't the problem. I have it saved to my hard drive and the size is okay. It's the arrow to go to the next page that does not work probably because the 2nd page isn't part of it.

Lauren

melancholy
Honorary Member

Have to dissapoint you Lauren,but that is all I have....
Dorine

melancholy
Honorary Member

this really is swell.....
Dorine

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

Cute picture!! :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

melancholy
Honorary Member

Thanks Nicki.I sometimes wonder how they all did the muddy looks.And for sure we can now see how real it was!Not only one (or THE best) of her most popular pictures,but so natural.And personally added charm that only Doris could depict in there.
Dorine

melancholy
Honorary Member

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I think those may have come from this website: http://www.dorisday.net/people.html

Anyway you can see them all on one page there.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

This no doubt is her finest role and the movie itself is excellent in that it moves quickly - there are no dull stretches and the songs and the scoring are first rate. The production itself has much period flavor and the supporting cast is fine as well.
The plot is highly amusing. I very much like Gale Robbins and isn't that ANN MILLER in a walk-on cameo ? She brushes up against Doris on the street in Chicago and then moves on !
Doris should have at least been Oscar nominated..........not too many musical performers actually won Oscars----to mind comes only Bing Crosby (Going My Way), James Cagney (Yankee Doodle Dandy), Yul Brynner (KING AND I), Moreno & Chakiris (West Side Story), Rex Harrison (My Fair Lady), Julie Andrews (Mary Poppins), Barbra Streisand (Funny Girl), Liza Minnelli (Cabaret), and the one in CHICAGO - sorry but I forgot the name. As one can see not all of these people were professional singers either.
Oscar has such strange rules - really I cannot figure them out - though I am not at all alone on this matter.

royevans

Unread post by royevans »

Just watched this wonderful movie for the umpteenth time on my new wide screen TV still absolutely fabulous
followed by "Love Me Or Leave Me" what a contrast but terrific too, can't wait to watch them all now.

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

Its a wonderfully entertaining picture at a time when movies truly delivered the goods and were definetely worth the admission though of course at that time going to the movies was far more reasonably priced. Since then the prices have steadily climbed higher and higher and we are now at a point where the films are not very good nor are they especially memorable. Musicals are long gone----the genre has long gone dry. Comedies ? Are there really any truly funny and clean 'flicks' to be seen ?
Getting back to CALAMITY JANE - the film - that critic who did not like the fact that the movie was not historically accurate ? Come on ! Was it to be a history lesson or rather a fun musical film ? Many critics do tend to overanalyze.

Double D's

Unread post by Double D's »

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of Calamity Jane. I saw it some years ago and it didn't do much for me. But that is mainly due to my taste, I like more glamourous roles rather tomboy ones. The singing is top notch though. I like Doris in a more sophisticated roles with dry wit, absolutely loved her in Teachers Pet with Gable.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Nice to see on Doris' website, the clip of her and Howard Keel reunited on her Best Friends show from 1985- I've always wanted to see this.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Wonderful Doris Day has created a colorful character, funny and charming, extremely dynamic movie :D "Calamity Jane" sweet, naive, probably with little in common with reality, but it is as nicely sung! :D

I do not know whether you understand what I write :?: I do not know English :?:

ImageImage
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

RoseOfWindyCity

Unread post by RoseOfWindyCity »

This is my favorite Doris Day film - gorgeously colored, entertaining escapism. Allyn McLerie is lovely and sweet Katie. If I wanted realism, I would watch documentary.
I have never cared about Oscars. They have never went to the movies I want, and nowadays there´s not much movies which would get Oscars from me, anyway! :wink:
Rose of Windy City

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

RoseOfWindyCity-I also love this movie :D
ImageImage
The rest of the pictures here

Have a nice Wednesday and a beautiful day:D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

kimster

Unread post by kimster »

I really love "Calamity Jane!" I have watched it numerous times and have just recently purchased it so I can share with others. "I just flew in from the Windy City" is wonderful not only for the catchy music but for Doris's dancing. We play it in our office at work when we need some energy and pep. We have actually printed out the words and sang along with Doris.
Also, in reference to comments about this character being more like Doris than any other, I think that Doris does have a wonderful tomboy side to her. She is obviously a very physically fit woman. It just makes her all the more interesting!

Of course I adore Doris. She has been my idol ever since I was a little girl. Whenever I get down I always need to go to a "happy place" and that would be listening to Doris's music or watch a movie. I devour any information I can find on her!!! I am a walking encylopedia on details about Doris! I am glad to find others on this sight who feel the same.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I feel the same way about "Calamity Jane", kimster, as I'm sure many others do. (Welcome to the forum, by the way!) It's essential Doris. Even with all the other great parts she played in films like "Love Me or Leave Me", "Calam" is somehow special. It's a fantasy really, compared to a lot of her films - although she made her fair share - :wink: it's probably the best film to become a fan, especially if you like musicals, which I do!

http://www.dorisday.net/calamity_jane.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

webmaster wrote:I feel the same way about "Calamity Jane", kimster, as I'm sure many others do. (Welcome to the forum, by the way!) It's essential Doris. Even with all the other great parts she played in films like "Love Me or Leave Me", "Calam" is somehow special. It's a fantasy really, compared to a lot of her films - although she made her fair share - :wink: it's probably the best film to become a fan, especially if you like musicals, which I do! Thank you my dear dear Bryan..I am so please I discovered you after I did with Doris

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

webmaster wrote:I feel the same way about "Calamity Jane", kimster, as I'm sure many others do. (Welcome to the forum, by the way!) It's essential Doris. Even with all the other great parts she played in films like "Love Me or Leave Me", "Calam" is somehow special. It's a fantasy really, compared to a lot of her films - although she made her fair share - :wink: it's probably the best film to become a fan, especially if you like musicals, which I do! Thank you my dear dear Bryan..I am so please I discovered you after I did with Doris

Doris looks amazing in this picture, beautifully Since that movie started my love for Doris. From "Calamity Jane", she's my great love for Doris I know that this love is for life I love Doris Day

Greetings from Polish :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

DorisIsTerrific

Unread post by DorisIsTerrific »

I just finished watchin Calamity Jane and I absolutely loved it I could not stop laughiing the part where she is in Chicago and she sees those toupees in the window and she saya look scalps it`s a masacreed I started bustin out laughin and I loved the songs my favs were a womans touch the song they were singing when they all were heaed to the dance and the song secret love that she sang at the end was a beautiful song I love Doris Days voice she has a beautiful voice she truly is a wonderful actress.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Terrific~

I'm so glad that you loved CJ. Perhaps you would like to see a video that I created called, "The Making of Calamity Jane 2."

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjAQmR0Ty80

I hope that link works for you. Enjoy!
Lauren