That Touch of Mink

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "That Touch of Mink"?

Poor
3%
Average
17%
Good
45%
Excellent
35%

Total votes: 75

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 19 May 2007, 14:04

toni, As always GREAT pictures of our doris. You have such a great collection !!! wow what a blessing to get to see these wonderful photos.I too love the candid photos, my favorites are of doris and her family.Thanks again and keep em coming lol :D
suzie

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 19 May 2007, 16:28

Trivia question: What other Doris Day movie did famous baseball players appear in?

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

That Touch Of Mink

Unread post by ray » 19 May 2007, 17:23

That was easy, of course it was That Touch Of Mink!

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 19 May 2007, 17:58

Debbi Austen wrote:Trivia question: What other Doris Day movie did famous baseball players appear in?
The Winning Team.

ray
I danced with Doris!

The Winning Team

Unread post by ray » 19 May 2007, 18:11

I didn't think of the Winning Team. Which baseball players were in that flim? That Touch Of Mink had Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle.

ray
I danced with Doris!

The Winning Team

Unread post by ray » 19 May 2007, 18:19

I know the Winning Team was based on the baseball player Grover Cleveland Alexander, but what baseball players of the day were in that film?

Heatherlicious

Unread post by Heatherlicious » 19 May 2007, 19:02

It was cute and of course I love CG too so that def helped. Though I found some of the movie was, I guess you could say kinda choppy when he was taking her to all these places in the beginning... but there were some comedic moments and she looked fabulous in that dress!

Love the pictures btw! :D
H E A T H E R | Graphics

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 19 May 2007, 20:56

Dayniac said: “I used to have some pictures of Doris and Cary at Bergdorf's picking out the clothes for the movie, but I can't find them.”

Don’t know if the following two pix are those you’re referring to but they’re of Doris (and Cary) selecting clothes with fashion designer Norman Norell.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 19 May 2007, 20:59

Ray, I'm not sure what Debbi meant, but since she asked what OTHER movie featured famous baseball players, I assumed she meant other than That Touch of Mink.

The Winning Team had Peanuts Lowry, Hank Sauer, Bob Lemon and Gene Mauch in it.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Winning Team

Unread post by ray » 19 May 2007, 21:10

I misundersood, sorry. You certainly know your stuff, John!

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 19 May 2007, 22:26

Howard --
Yes - those are two of the pictures I used to have ! I had 5 or 6 pictures taken at that same time. Wow -- thank you for sharing those !!

Toni
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 19 May 2007, 23:13

Sorry Ray, I didn't mean to confuse you. John's Right I meant Winning Team. Besides the players he mentioned, there was actual footage of baseball games that showed Babe Ruth and Lou Gering. But you identified Toni's pictures correctly! Kudos :D

Sheila

That Touch Of Mink

Unread post by Sheila » 11 Jul 2007, 15:54

I agree with what has previously been stated, that there was no chemistry between Cary Grant and Doris. For me, the age difference between them didn’t help. I still enjoyed this film,I loved the clothes Doris wore and her hairstyle was lovely. I liked the conversation between Doris and the man behind the counter when she had to sign for her cheque, that was very funny- she certainly put him in his place!. I also liked the bottle scene, Doris played a very convincing drunk! The baseball scene was quite amusing

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 11 Jul 2007, 17:56

I agree - those scenes with John Astin are some of the funniest in the movie. He was so good at being sleezy ! And she was so good at handling him.

You're right - she was a cute drunk !

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Grant and Day on the Set

Unread post by Ralph » 16 Aug 2007, 14:16

Cary Grant and Doris Day talk shop on the set of "That Touch of Mink."

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

CARY GRANT COLLECTION

Unread post by Ralph » 27 Dec 2007, 14:12

Cary Grant: 4-Disc Collector's Set (Indiscreet, Operation Petticoat, The Grass is Greener, That Touch of Mink)
Lions Gate Entertainment // Unrated // $34.98 // January 8, 2008

Review by Paul Mavis | posted December 26, 2007

Who wants to knock Cary Grant, after all? I certainly don't, but Lionsgate's Cary Grant: 4-Disc Collector's Set doesn't inspire a lot good will, featuring four of Grant's later, lesser efforts, presented in less-than-satisfactory DVD transfers with no extras. 1958's Indiscreet, 1959's Operation Petticoat, 1960's The Grass is Greener, and 1962's That Touch of Mink are included here - four mildly amusing (at best) attempts by an obviously coasting Grant - sporting flat, non-anamorphic letterboxed transfers from beat-up, faded prints that look no better than when Republic released them on VHS over 15 years ago.
It's well known that during Doris Day's heyday in the late 50s and early 60s, Cary Grant's fingerprints were on most scripts that offered a leading man role in a romantic comedy. Certainly critics said as much when Rock Hudson scored with Day in the iconic wonder, Pillow Talk, in 1959. Hudson, a revelation as a light comedian, was favorably compared to Grant - but definitively in the junior position. So when Day and her husband/film producer Marty Melcher were casting around for another "Cary Grant type" for her next movie, they went one step further and co-produced with the star himself.
I've written before about Day's impact on film history during this period, so one might assume that That Touch of Mink might prove to be a highlight in both iconic stars' careers, but unfortunately, such is not the case. Slight when it should have been frothy, repetitive when it should have built with comic tension, That Touch of Mink is one of Day's least memorable "sex comedies" from her box office peak period, with both stars failing to generate believable chemistry between them.

The premise is simplistic (and wholly unbelievable). Grant plays Philip Shayne, a millionaire businessman who accidentally splashes Cathy Timberlake (Doris Day) with his Rolls, when she's standing by a mudpuddle in New York City. Trying to find her, Shayne finally spots her entering the AutoMat, and sends his Princeton economics professor/financial advisor/ flunky Roger (Gig Young) to reimburse her for any damages. Roger, who harbors deep resentment for Philip's money which tempted Roger to "sell out," encourages Cathy to personally confront Philip, but this backfires when Cathy falls instantly in love with the millionaire. Philip literally sweeps Cathy off her feet with a multi-city tour, before going in for the kill: the marriage-averse Philip offers her the chance to be his "companion" for an extended world-wide trip, with no strings attached.

Racked by indecision, the virginal Cathy steels herself to say no, but obstinately says yes when Philip - whose conscious is acting up - fails to call her for her final answer. Now, both Philip and Cathy are committed to their "arrangement," even though neither one of them really wants to go ahead with it. A trip to Bermuda proves disastrous when Cathy refuses to sleep with Philip, which perversely, makes Philip pursue Cathy even more strenuously. Will they eventually get together? What do you think.

That Touch of Mink was a huge hit when it came out; the loyal fans of each star came out in droves to see these two A-list stars spar and love on the big screen. Seen today, however, That Touch of Mink falls embarrassingly flat, with the central theme more crass and tasteless than comically naughty. There's a decidedly sniggering, almost mean-spirited tone to That Touch of Mink, emphasized by Grant's rather cold performance, that puts a pall over the film. Typically safe, lame sex jokes from the period abound (when Philip donates $200,000 to an unwed mothers' home, one of the matrons, who believes he's impregnated Day, says, "When a man donates $200,000, he's entitled to use the facilities."), but there's no getting around the fact that the stars are too mismatched, in both temperament and age. Grant, menopausally staid and stolid and grandfatherly looks tired and disinterested next to fresh-faced, bouncy Day, and their zero on-screen chemistry isn't helped by the frequently ridiculous script. Scenes grind on interminably (not an unusual occurrence with director Delbert Mann's films), and even the high-caliber supporting cast comes out blunted. Gig Young overdoes the giddy, almost beatific executive to the point of irritation, while Audrey Meadows grates unrelievedly as Day's cranky, abrasive friend. Flat, uninspired, and ugly to look at, That Touch of Mink is certainly one of Day's and Grant's more unmemorable films.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/review.php?ID=31839

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

That touch of mink

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 24 Feb 2008, 08:21

Hi there,

An rare photo of Doris in That touch of mink:

Peter

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 24 Feb 2008, 11:06

Thanks Peter for such gems.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 24 Feb 2008, 14:55

LOVE this movie... I especially LOVE the part when Doris says...

Do you like the way I walk??? I learned when I was a baby, I've been walkin' for years!!!

I just fell out of Mr. Shane's suite, see that I'm returned!!!

Doris Day can always make me smile or laugh... she always makes my day!!!

Just going to get out of subject real quick but, Has anyone noticed that when Doris sings her jaw does this weird thing...
Like in the Pajama Game when she's singing I'm Not At All In Love, when she sings the line... But, this girl ain't buyin'
When she sings buyin' her jaw does this weird thing... has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me???

Anyway love this movie and Love Doris Day
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Pam
Honorary Member

Re: That Touch of Mink

Unread post by Pam » 28 Jun 2008, 08:18

When I look at the first photo, I have the feeling Doris is laughing and saying " Can you believe that they have me playing a...... what a hoot!" You know though, when I saw a tape of this movie, she had me convinced :lol: ! In some scenes, Cary Grant didn't look like her father....like in the second photo and scene, their ages look more compactible. The movie theme was somewhat far fetched, but I loved it anyway....and found it so romantic! It was at this time of her life, that I think she looked absolutely fantastic......come to think of it, there was No time in her life, when Doris didn't look fantastic! :wink: Pam~

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 03 Jul 2008, 15:38

Hi there,

Found a short clip about Doris and Cary behind the scenes at the basseball game:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=ikTJseAqvek

P

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson » 05 Jul 2008, 08:52

Peter Flapper wrote:Hi there,

Found a short clip about Doris and Cary behind the scenes at the basseball game:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=ikTJseAqvek

P

That's wonderful. I love those little newsies from the 60's. Would love to see the one for the premier of midnight lace and the thrill of it all. As we all know, Doris was and probably still is an avid baseball fan.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 05 Jul 2008, 11:59

Great Peter, thanks for posting.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 16 Jul 2008, 05:50

find some pictures.
ImageImage

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 24 Jul 2008, 17:58

I don't know why but this is the only Doris movie I really have trouble getting through .... I don't know why - really I don't - I love Cary Grant - everybody knows I love Doris Day .... it starts of fun .... but ... I can't figure out why its so boring to me. What is that about?? Why doesn't it work?? Is it only the script ??? I've never liked this movie but I thought if I'd tried again I might like it - still have about 1 hour to go .... :roll: really strange.
Cary Grant really isn't himself kinda - he doesn't seem as easy as he usually is - maybe he didn't like the sript either .... anyone know what Doris thought about this movie??? I wonder ...