That Touch of Mink

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "That Touch of Mink"?

Poor
3%
Average
17%
Good
45%
Excellent
35%

Total votes: 75

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Re: That Touch of Mink

Unread post by Jake Iverson » 25 Jul 2008, 19:12

I like this movie. I didn't think the script was bad. Could it have been better? Yes. But, there were some great lines and scenes in this. I love the opening where she tells off John Astin. I could really see someone doing that. Well, today they might throw in some oscenities. The scene in the automat was great. I think the story lost steam a little after the first trip to Bermuda. The only thing people have commented on was the lack of chemistry between Doris and Cary. I agree that they are both very different personalities and that probably had more to do with it than age. Look at Charade with Cary and Audrey. Perfect. Doris is too "American" blueberry pie for a Cary Grant character. That's what I think. And the type of character she was playing in this was so opposite Cary's character.

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June » 25 Jul 2008, 19:20

I loved her in this movie. Gig Young is hilarious. He was perfect for his character. Where he is in the restaurant and gets slapped in the face when he reaches in to get his food and Audrey slaps him. The look on his face is so funny. I also like the part at the very end where Cary Grant goes in the wrong motel room with the newlywed couple. Doris plays the part wonderful being drunk with the bottle stuck in her toe. She just cracks me up. Oh if we had movies today like we did back then. All of the good ones have either left this world or they are not acting anymore. I'm glad I grew up in the 50's and 60's, those were great years.
Carol :)

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 26 Jul 2008, 05:03

I agree about the opening bit - and I like Gig Young - I always do. I had to laugh when he got slapped through the machine -- also liked her girlfriend. Those scenes were fun - but from Bermuda on I kinda lost interested - maybe its really the lack of chemistry between the two although its hard to understand cause they were both SO great!!!
Carol - I can see what you mean about growing up in the 50's and 60's - imagine watching those movies in the THEATER - that must have been GREAT! Wish they would still do - I'd certainly go :D
Although there are wonderful movies around nowadays too - you just have to look closer and go of the mainstream :wink:

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June » 26 Jul 2008, 09:30

Back then I would just stay and watch it over again...that was really fun. I certainly got my 25 cents worth when I did that. Those were the good ole days believe me.
Glad you are enjoying the forum...I love it.
Carol :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 27 Jul 2008, 13:43

The opening with Doris coming up from the subway - boy she looked amazing!

daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by daybyday08 » 04 Aug 2008, 03:41

I finally saw this movie last week and was alittle dissapointed.
I really liked the begining when she says to John Astin that she would like to go out with him if only she didn't find him so utterly distasteful. I hope those are the words she used. I also enjoyed the lunch scene when she goes to Connies work to have lunch and they start talking . As I watched that part my father kept going on an on about how when he was little in N.Y.C. alot of places where you would go to lunch would be like the place she goes to & that Connie works at. I liked half of the movie up until she gets to Bermuda then it's really boring the rest of the way. I do love the clothes though, I thought they where sooo beautiful!!!
Sadly, I felt no chemistry between Doris and Cary he seemed like he was just walking through it but they tried with the script they had an overall I thought it was ok. :|

Time to Say Goodnight! Hope everyone sleeps well. :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 04 Aug 2008, 19:46

Didn't you find the drunk scene funny though, Dominique?
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie » 05 Aug 2008, 00:10

I loved the drunk scene and it was pure delight to watch Cary Grant look for her when he came back with the coffee and she had fallen on to the canopy. Now, I watched the movie with pure innocent bliss as a child and didn't realize that Doris was of a certain age and should not have been holding out according to the critics. I honestly thought she was doing the right thing, my mother wouldn't have wanted me to be a kept woman. However, as much as I love Cary Grant he was a bit stiff. I did read his biography and he was having some issues at the time and did not want to do the movie.

Grant's screen career extended into the 1960s, when he appeared in such films as the romantic farce That Touch of Mink (1962) with Doris Day and the stylish caper Charade (1963) with Audrey Hepburn. Walk Don't Run (1966) inadvertently became his final film, as he was enmeshed in divorce (from fourth wife Dyan Cannon) and child-custody proceedings that dragged on until 1969 and consumed his attention; it is said that he lost much of his interest in filmmaking during that period.
So, I don't think it was Doris's fault the movie wasn't a big of hit as it was suppose to be. She herself said,
"Of all the people I performed with, I got to know Cary Grant least of all. He is a completely private person, totally reserved, and there is no way into him. Our relationship on "A Touch of Mink" was amicable but devoid of give-and-take…Not that he wasn't friendly and polite - he certainly was. But distant. Very distant."
"Wrinkles are hereditary. Parents get them from their children.”- Doris Day

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 05 Aug 2008, 05:19

Laurie,

Regardless of how this film holds up, it was very much a big hit when it came out, that is for sure!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 05 Aug 2008, 10:27

It was the second biggest hit in Cary Grant's lengthy career.
Like Irene Dunne done.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 05 Aug 2008, 11:20

That's just because our Doris was in it Howard!!!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie » 05 Aug 2008, 11:34

I agree with Megan. Without Doris, Cary would have been pretty boring even if he had played opposite of Audrey or Grace.
"Wrinkles are hereditary. Parents get them from their children.”- Doris Day

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue » 29 Sep 2008, 14:34

I haven't seen this movie in a while so this is from memory. I love this movie and I rate it an excellent.

It has so many moments that make me laugh out loud, as others have already said, the scene when Cathy has the bottle stuck on her toe and says "hi" to Philip or the scene when Beasley picks up her and he has to stop at every gas station she she can go to the bathroom. Love how he finds that odd and tells her she should see a doctor about this :lol: Love the scene in the automat when Connie slaps Roger. Funny if you look up automat on Wikipedia it's amazing to see how long this food system has been around and it's still fairly popular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat

dorismartin

Unread post by dorismartin » 06 Oct 2008, 16:53

I think they both look fantastic, wonderful couple....dorismartin

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 07 Oct 2008, 14:05

Laurie wrote:I agree with Megan. Without Doris, Cary would have been pretty boring even if he had played opposite of Audrey or Grace.
I agree - I don't think he had all that much fun with the picture - don't know .. he kinda looks bored to me - not very much ala Cary Grant .. part of the reason I don't like the movie. Really wonder why it was such a big hit.

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue » 07 Oct 2008, 14:24

Haymarketaddict wrote:Really wonder why it was such a big hit.
Because it has some very funny scenes and they make up for the rest of the movie. I mentioned this movie this afternoon when I was on the phone with my mother...I was like you know the movie with....and she said, yes, I know the movie with Doris Day and the bottle stuck on her toe. She knew it just by name and loves it just as much as I do. :D

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 07 Oct 2008, 16:14

Well, I *usually* do like that kind of movie - but this is somehow an exception ... I can't really put a finger on why but I know this movie FOREVER and I never have liked it and I guess I never will. Which is to bad cause I love both - Doris and Cary Grant. I wish they had done another 1 to 10 movies together :D

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree » 18 Jan 2009, 00:52

I have a friend that is a retired lawyer, and he loved this movie, so I just watched it tonight. I think it's a good movie, and there are some good lines in it. I love what they did to the bed in the hotel. And to see Doris drunk was very funny! When she was passed out on the bed and the bottle on her toe like a cork screw really cracked me up! :lol: Has Doris played drunk in some other movies? I hope so, because she's good at it!
A line I liked was again, when she was drunk, asked, "Do you like the way I walk?" and the answer was, "like poetry in motion," then she said, "I learned when I was a baby!" Such cute lines!
This is not my favorite movie, but I did enjoy it.
I'll be writing a lot here because in my spare time at night, this is my Doris Day marathon time! So fun! :D

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree » 18 Jan 2009, 12:33

Thank you Samantha! For some reason, it's fun to see Doris play someone drunk! I'll be sure to see these movies. Now I really know what Doris is talking about when she said she doesn't play a goody two shoes!

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 22 Jan 2009, 19:32

so, littlepinetree,can you tell us what is your favourite movie?
I am new at this forum,and I noticed you joined recently too.
The classiness of "that touch of mink" is timeless and yes, I agree it is Doris who steals the show!!
melancholy
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree » 23 Jan 2009, 01:13

Hello! So nice to have you here! Yes, I'm pretty new here and am enjoying this forum very much!
My very favorite Doris Day movie is Calamity Jane. Not only my favorite DD movie, but right now my favorite movie! I wrote about it under "Calamity Jane."
That Touch Of Mink was still fun to watch even though it's not my favorite. Still worth seeing!

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 01 Feb 2009, 11:22

she said she doesn't play a goody two shoes!
If you want more of that watch movies like Storm Warning, Midnight Lace oder Julie, ;)
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 12 Feb 2010, 12:31

On this forum are some image to find.

http://dustedoff.wordpress.com/2009/04/ ... mink-1962/

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 12 Feb 2010, 17:56

a lovely behind the scenes picture..
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree » 14 Feb 2010, 03:45

What a fun picture Dorine! :lol: Thanks for sharing!

oxox, Lisa