That Touch of Mink

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "That Touch of Mink"?

Poor
3%
Average
17%
Good
45%
Excellent
35%

Total votes: 75

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: That Touch of Mink

Unread post by webmaster » 18 May 2010, 12:05

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 10 Jan 2011, 05:58

I don't remember any of this,it will be a thrill to see the movie again,
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 12 Jan 2011, 14:11

Well,another movie added to my collection,I hardly remembered anything of the movie.It is pleasant to look at but to me average.And then to think of the lovely wardrobe!!At least the baby made up for all the dull moments in the picture...
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 12 Jan 2011, 16:35

I think the script hasn't aged well in this film and it is annoying it is the only film Doris did seem to play a 'virgin' - and it stuck! However, the film is lush looking, chic, classy, and Miss Day never looked lovlier than in this film!

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 12 Jan 2011, 20:37

Yes Jas Doris does look glorious,and looking at her in between takes she even looks lovelier.On the whole,for me,Gary Grant & Doris are great together,but the script stands in their way as a matter of speaking.
Dorine

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 13 Jan 2011, 16:54

I agree Dorine, the script has not aged well. Even at the time, although written by a hit team, it is incredulous that the audience is asked to believe Cathy Timberlake is a virgin - or so frightened of sex! Cathy was HOT, the characthers were HOT - a bit more realism would have gone a long way - even if she [Cathy] just didn't want to have sex and wanted to hold out for Mr right! The breaking out in fear etc is just going too far. However, as stated, the film looks superb and the cast etc are top notch!

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 13 Jan 2011, 21:52

Thanks Jas for your opinion,I must say the movie on the whole is funny and classy.The scene whereas the bed comes into view so many times is fun but not in a way to scare off women...the scary expression on Doris' face does not match her stunning look.And by the way,what comes to mind,what if Rock & Randal would have had these parts?Somehow it would have turned out differently,think of the snug moments in a simple bed in "Send me no flowers"....
Dorine

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 14 Jan 2011, 13:35

There are a few truly funny moments: The Automat scene and DD's initial meeting with Grant. There are others, but sadly, not enough to make this film a very good one! (P.S. It was a huge box-office success).
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 03 Nov 2011, 09:19

My most popular Doris YouTube, featuring Doris, Cary... and the BED!

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 03 Nov 2011, 10:35

Beautiful pictures and clips Very nice and funny movie :D
ImageImageImage
the rest of the pictures here CLICK

Greetings from Polish :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

DorisIsTerrific

Unread post by DorisIsTerrific » 04 Apr 2012, 01:15

Loved That Touch Of Mink I thought she and Cary Grant were great together it's too bad they didn't get the chance to make more movies together.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 06 Apr 2012, 09:04

Just watched this one again on TCM around 2AM -- this week is crazy.

I understand the discomfort around Doris playing a virgin in her late 30's, but the movie does have some amusing moments. Doris with that liquor bottle stuck on her toe -- hilarious: her sarcastic disdain for the lecherous John Astin character; Gig Young's hilarious altercations with food at the Automat; and Audrey Meadows' terrific timing and sassy style as Doris' roommate. I also thought Doris and Cary looked great together although their chemistry paled in comparison to what she had with Rock, James Garner, Jack Lemmon and most others. One thing that Doris does so well is on full display here -- the comic fuming and ranting which she demonstrates by getting the major NY Yankee players thrown out of the game. She played it to the hilt without becoming overly mannered or cute.

This movie is like a light souffle that leaves no traces of indigestion or regret behind.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin » 17 Jul 2012, 12:40

DorisIsTerrific wrote:Loved That Touch Of Mink I thought she and Cary Grant were great together it's too bad they didn't get the chance to make more movies together.
I think also that they were great...specially our Doris..she looks beautiful

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin » 26 Nov 2012, 11:50

I was watching the new video by Mike Devita highlighting hit songs along with posters from Doris Day's films from 1948 to 1968. While watching the one about That Touch of Mink, the caption stated that Rock Hudson wasn't available for that film, and Cary Grant starred instead. Wouldn't it have been interesting to see Rock in that role? I loved Cary Grant of course, but it would have given Doris and Rock another film as a team. What are all of your opinions?

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 26 Nov 2012, 16:04

Toby - personally, I am glad Cary Grant did this one- it is more fitting!

Watched this on Turner movies recently and on closer inspection - even here Doris is not playing a virigin [in my opinion] - this suggestion comes more from the Audrey Meadows character.

What I gleaned from this recent review was that it could be seen that Doris' character was not against going to bed with Cary - but rather was nervous that she would disappoint him - hence the break out!

Having said that, there was still an awful lot of fear/angst from a woman of that age - and the scenes with the bed turning up everywhere [imagined by Doris] add to the virgin tag - though maybe this film needs to be re-appraised in that regard?

What do others think?

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 01 Dec 2012, 21:21

When you compare this film to what they're producing today, it seems clear that Hollywood doesn't know how to make sophisticated comedies anymore. Instead of clever dialog, character development and innuendo, you get potty humor, gross bodily functions or worse thrown in your face. The romantic comedies today that really try to get by on charm and restraint typically do poorly at the box-office. One example from 2010, Morning Glory, with Rachel McAdams and Harrison Ford was a huge box-office disappointment. But it had a smart script and a terrific leading performance by Ms. McAdams who was matched by Ford's dour antagonist. It mystifies me why that film wasn't more popular. Although Woody Allen had a huge international hit in 2011 with Midnight in Paris (also with McAdams), it was considered a refreshing novelty after years of soft box-office performers from Allen. Sadly, audiences have become so jaded and cynical that it's become almost impossible to suspend disbelief and be entertained by a film that is merely light and whimsical.

I think Jas makes a good point about Mink. We tend to come down hard on it because of the perceived virgin angle. Now, I don't know whether Cathy TImberlake was technically a virgin or not but my issue with the screenplay has to more to do with how naive she seems when Grant pursues her. I have difficulty believing that even an innocent woman from "upper Sandusky" would mistake an invitation to go to Bermuda as a marriage proposal. That aspect strikes me as contrived to make the situation more palatable to early 60's audience. Personally, I don't buy it. It also rankles when she allows Audrey Meadows and Gig Young to concoct a whacky scheme to trick Grant into marrying her. That really goes against the integrity you found in all of her other romantic comedy heroines. Jan Morrow and Carol Templeton would have given Cathy Timberlake a good talking to if they knew what she was up to!

Otherwise, there's a lot to admire including the ace supporting cast, the clothes, the opulent set design and the starry presence of Cary Grant and Doris Day. Is it one of her best romantic comedies? Not by a long shot but it gets by on the effortless charisma that Grant and Day exude. And even if they don't have a fraction of the chemistry that Doris had with Rock, James or Jack, they make the film enjoyable simply because we want to watch Cary Grant romance our dream girl.

Speaking of stars today, try to name one (male or female) who could have made this film the huge commercial success it was in 1962.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 02 Dec 2012, 08:41

I agree Michael, some very well made points. Particularly agree that Jan and Carol would have spoken to Cathy re- the trickery!

Also, Georgia Garrett would have been in Bermuda in a flash! Singing with a trio at the hotel bar and sounding wonderful and having a smashing time with Cary!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 03 Jul 2013, 11:39

This is being released on Blu-Ray on 7/30/13.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CZ7 ... il_1p_2_ti
Like Irene Dunne done.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 26 Jul 2013, 16:21

I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 04 Aug 2013, 17:12

Seen this? (Ania has!)

Doris & Cary shopping for clothes in New York for Doris to wear in "That Touch of Mink"

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin » 05 Aug 2013, 20:44

Yep. I just made that video a couple of weeks ago. My screen name on YouTube is Pokeahugkiss. I am currently working on another DD video, which features an interview in 1954 in Great Britain where Doris' fans present her with a lovely teapot.

Lauren

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 19 Feb 2014, 13:48

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 19 Feb 2014, 13:50

ImageImageImageAnia
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Sinem
Forum Friend

Unread post by Sinem » 19 Feb 2014, 16:05

Thanks Ania, I haven't seen before this photos, wonderful! : )

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 19 Feb 2014, 16:17

Yes thanks, fabulous photos from Touch of Mink- particularly love the one with Doris in profile with hand on hip talking to Cary.