Love Me or Leave Me

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Love Me or Leave Me"?

Excellent
89%
Good
5%
Average
No votes
Poor
5%

Total votes: 75

miss maxwell
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by miss maxwell »

Beautiful pictures.

I find "Love me or leave me" to be incredibly good in every single way:
acting, directing, costume designing, music score, cinematography, e v e r y t h i n g .
DD - who probably looked more gorgeous [and jaw droppingly fit] than ever before
or after - gave one of her finest performances and was absolutely worthy of an Oscar
nomination, thank you very much! Really, I can't believe she was not at least nominated.
As much as I loved her in "Pillow Talk", I don't see how she could have been nominated
as Jan Morrow but not as Ruth Etting in "LMOLM" - or as Kit in "Midnight Lace". [Be careful
now, I'm not saying she didn't deserve a nod for Pillow Talk. :wink: ] Of course the Oscars
don't deal with an actor's/actress's individual performances but with a variety of
performances of each year - and I haven't watched the majority of the rest of the
nominated films of 1955. But by simply having watched Doris in LMOLM I just can't help
but think she deserved one.

By the way, one totally random thing I like in this film is the beauty mark showcase.
The spot below Doris's lower left lip. And I don't know why in the majority of her other
[specially the latter] films, it was all covered up.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Oscar

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree about the Oscar nomination for Love me or Leave Me - however I think at this time Doris was still considered a light weight musical star and had yet to really find true critical acclaim that she certianly achieved following this film & afterwards with the likes of Man Who Knew Too Much, Pajama Game and Teacher's Pet. I think had Doris done the Hitchcock film first, she would have been nominated for Love me... - that does not explain however the lack of nomination for Man who Knew too Much!

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

It seems that Hollywood works in these strange ways quite often.
I'm not saying that Doris shouldn't have been nominated for
Pillow Talk - but - she deserved a nomination for the other movies that you've mentioned.
Definitely for Love Me or Leave Me.

Hollywood does seem to pass actors up for several worthy
performances and then say - Gosh - she should have been
nominated for that -maybe even won - maybe we should give
her a nomination this year. Sometimes it seems to be politics...
how popular was that particular person at that time - with their fellow
actors or the public. Not very fair - but I think it happened quite often.

1955 was shortly after she had gone through a rough
period personally. She wasn't giving interviews, was given the Sour Apple Award by the movie mag writers.
She hadn't wanted to discuss her health and personal issues with
them (which I can understand).
Eventually, she and Marty decided that they needed to give
some interviews and explain the situation. I think this probably
had some effect on her not getting the nomination at that time.

With Pillow Talk - she had a HUGE hit on her hands. They
had a hard time getting it booked into some theaters.
And after it was such a hit - theyhad the last laugh on that one.
This probably played into the nomination also.

Not fair - but its Hollywood !!

She deserved a win for Love Me or Leave Me or The Man Who
Knew Too Much.

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Just looking through some pictures --- thought I'd share some. Hope you enjoy ! :lol:

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Beautiful!

Jas, I agree about DD probably being considered (at the time) a light weight musical star. What a pitty.

Toni (is it?), your post (She hadn't wanted to discuss her health and personal issues with them etc) has got me curious to watch "It's magic" again, after a long time - I think I merely remember what you're talking about. This was a sad period indeed.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

She talked about it in her book too. She was having breathing problems -actually hyperventilating - thought she was really sick and I guess almost had a nervous breakdown. Anyway - she got medical help and was fine. But - at the time she wasn't accessible to the press, as she had always been in the past. And the press is always so understanding - HA - and gave her the sour apple award and wrote some less than complementary things about her. This actually happened a bit before LMOLM but I've always wondered if that did effect her not getting a nomination at this time. Don't really know - I do know that she deserved one !

Toni
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I had heard that MGM was going all out with a campaign for Eleanor Parker, one of their contract players .... so our DD got left out in the cold, so to speak. Don't know how true it is, but that's how I heard it.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Thanks for that information, Howard.
Eleanor Parker was nominated for "Interrupted Melody" a bio of Australian opera singer Marjorie Lawrence. She was stricken with polio but continued her career in spite of her handicap. The singing was dubbed by opera singer Eileen Farrell.
Interesting that MGM went all out for another musical with dubbed singing !! I'm not familiar with this movie - I'd like to see it just to compare the two musicals. Doris should get points for doing her own singing - don't you think ??
The other nominee's that year were - Susan Hayward for I'll Cry Tomorrow; Katharine Hepburn for Summertime; Jennifer Jones for Love Is A Many Splendored Thing and Anna Magnani winning in The Rose Tatoo.

Still think Doris deserved an oscar nod for this one.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Oscar Fighting

Unread post by Ralph »

howard wrote:I had heard that MGM was going all out with a campaign for Eleanor Parker, one of their contract players .... so our DD got left out in the cold, so to speak. Don't know how true it is, but that's how I heard it.
True. Eleanor Parker was an MGM star. She used her clout and insisted that they put the push behind her, not Doris Day, for the Oscar nomination. Out of loyalty to her, they put their campaign behind Parker, not Day, who was heavily associated with Warner Brothers.

Similarly, this happened with "All About Eve" when Anne Baxter (a 20th Century Fox star) insisted on being nominated for "best actress" along side visiting Warner Brothers star, Bette Davis. The votes split and Judy Holliday waltzed up to accept the Oscar instead of Davis, who deserved it. Davis never forgave Baxter "for being such a b**ch."

puck
Honorary Member

Love Me or Leave Me

Unread post by puck »

I'm agree with you Daynaic.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great pics, thanks for posting.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Unread post by Ralph »

Jas1 wrote:Great pics, thanks for posting.
Who's the dark-haired woman with Doris? She looks familiar. Kitty Kallen?

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

HUGE-MUNGUS question... did Doris Day really have a beauty mark??? I thought that they just colored one on there for the movie. And did anyone notice that there really weren't any other girls in this picture besides Doris Day??? But anyway I LOVED the movie... but seriously, who voted and said the picture was poor???
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Babe Williams wrote:HUGE-MUNGUS question... did Doris Day really have a beauty mark???
I thought that they just colored one on there for the movie.
Positive - it can be spotted in many early pics of Doris' (and perhaps in
latter pics too, haven't noticed) - it sure was toned in the movie though.

I love this film, I've only watched it once in its whole but often play bits
and pieces, anything I have time for - my GOD, that was a strong
slap that James Cagney gave her. Ouch.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

This is probably my favourite DD film.

Re: the slap, you probably know, but Doris said in her book she had no idea he was going to actually slap her hard and her shock reaction was genuine.
There was a lot of trust between them and she said she understood why he did it.
The other thing was they filmed a very difficult rape scene and she was disapointed that it was cut from the film.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

It's not like I enjoy seeing women get raped or anything... but I wish they wouldn't have cut it from the movie...

I wouldn't have ever known that James had raped her unless I read it somewhere
.... does anyone know if they have that footage anywhere or something... they can't just cut something that BIG out of the movie
...and expect the fans to know that he raped her and that's why they're married
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

René

Unread post by René »

I wrote to MGM years ago before the release of "Love Me or Leave Me" on laserdisc and was told that the studio did not keep the footage as described in Doris Day's autobiography.
Nice to see that pic of her in that dress a few posts back. In the film we only see it on Doris briefly while Marty beats up Fred backstage. Remember? She's absolutely stunning in this film.

webmaster

Love Me or Leave Me

Unread post by webmaster »

I got the impression from Doris' book that it had been a very difficult scene
(you know how she used to 'live' her dramatic scenes as with the breakdown on Midnight Lace over the lift scene)
and that she and James Cagney hade done a good piece of work on it
so they were disapointed when it had been cut from the final film.
As to why, you can only speculate, perhaps they thought it was too strong
and wouldn't have been passed for family viewing?
It's probably lost in a vault somewhere.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

well, we should all go to one of these vaults and pick it out ourselves... Maybe one day one of us can be famous... and demand all Doris Days films be out on dvd.... with like totally awesome extras...

Does anyone know if Starlift and The Winning Team are out to buy anywhere
Megan
-----------------

rt

starlift, winning team

Unread post by rt »

The Winning Team is available in a Ronald Reagan boxset that also includs Storm Warning (I bought it from amazon.com). I got Starlift off ebay. It's in the public domain now.

RT
RT

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Starlift isn't in the public domain (none of Doris' films are). It's simply available in bootleg form. There were many bootlegs of Storm Warning on eBay until the official release came out. Rumor from very reliable sources is that Starlift is coming from Warner Bros. within the next 12-15 months, along with Doris' remaining Warners and MGM films (although not necessarily all together.)
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

rt

starlift

Unread post by rt »

Sorry, I was misinformed. My copy of STARLIFT is on a poor quality DVD. I'm waiting for the remaining films to be out on DVD. The VHS versions do not compare at all.
RT
RT

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

ok, thanks for the information!!!
Megan
-----------------

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Puck -- I've never seen that last picture ---- thanks !! :D