Love Me or Leave Me

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Love Me or Leave Me"?

Excellent
89%
Good
5%
Average
No votes
Poor
5%

Total votes: 75

miss maxwell
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by miss maxwell »

"Take it easy now James, these are just promotional stills we're doing"

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Great picture Miss Maxwell, thank you for sharing. did you saw the other one, the close-up.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

I didn't, Puck, great close up -- one of my favorite scenes! Thumbnails, beautiful thing, aren't they. :lol:

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Miss Maxwell how about this one, I self do love this photo.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

I found a - as I think - very interesting version of Ruth Etting singing "Ten Cents A Dance". It is very different from DDs version, but I like it.

You can listen to it here:

http://www.we7.com/public/trackDetails/ ... ckId=48812

(You gotta sign up for free and then you can listen to it online or download it. I described the concept here: Klick
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Love Me or Leave Me

Unread post by Johnny »

Love Me Or Leave Me really illustrates the magic of Doris Day. her voice, her charisma, her rapport with her other actors and the audience that lifts this film from ordinary to extraordinary. When she is surrounded by the talent of James Cagney, she is even better. I think the movie going public cast their votes with their dollars to put her in the number one spot and keep her there. Ms Day deserves to be acknowledged by the film industry for her outstanding work that still is respected to this day.It is also a tribute to her that any person of any age can see one of her films and feel good about viewing it.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Very well said, Johnny. Thank you for that.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

lab

Unread post by lab »

I think this is DD's best film, but it was not a huge hit since the public at the time could not take Doris in a "gritty" reality film. Since Marty wanted her to have all hits, I am sure he went with her tried and true formula from then on, which was her and our loss.

Heathcliff

Unread post by Heathcliff »

According to the coffee table book on MGM that I have, "Love Me or Leave Me" was a very big hit.

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

That should have definitely been a Oscar winner for Doris.
She was fabulous.

Carol

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Check the movies statistics...LMOLM was a BIG BOX OFFICE HIT, and the recording was the #1 album for the year (and stayed on the Best Seller Lists for like 5 months straight, most of the time in #1 position!!!)

I used to subscribe to VARIETY and BILLBOARD magazines(just to keep track of my girl), and I have pages and pages and pages of statistics on how well both movie and soundtrack did. Trust me, the figures are tremendous! Doris and MGM were both very happy to have each other!!!

By far, my fave Doris movie. I loved EVERYTHING about it, and especially the songs.
"It All Depends On You" was never sung better by anyone anywhere, and "I'll Never Stop Loving You" should be on every bride's Wedding Day Hit Parade of songs!!!

Daisy June

I agree with everything you said, it is my favorite movie in showing how well she did as a dramatic actor.

Just superior and I loved the songs (all of them)

Carol

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

I've watched it again the other day - really very good movie even though I must admit I'm not really a big fan of all the songs. I LOVE how she sings "it all depends on you" but the rest of the music just isn't my cup of tea. I'm trying really hard to get into that kind of music *right Marion?? :mrgreen: * but as of yet I'm not there. So the music isn't for me *but* I think her performance is truly great and I wonder why Cagney got a AA-nomination for it and Doris didn't - she was very good - and so was he.
I enjoy that movie but I don't think it'll be one of my top-favorites - I voted it good :mrgreen:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

The sound track was by far Doris' best in films and her rendition of these jazzy songs is top notch - NO ONE sings Love Me..; Mean to Me; Ten Cents a dance; You made me Love you' etc like Miss Day!

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Jas1 wrote:The sound track was by far Doris' best in films and her rendition of these jazzy songs is top notch - NO ONE sings Love Me..; Mean to Me; Ten Cents a dance; You made me Love you' etc like Miss Day!
Yeah - you might certainly be right on this one - but those "jazzy songs" are simply not my usual "taste" in music. I'm not saying she isn't great in performing them ... far from it - its just not for me ... kinda .. hmm.. hard to describe. Anyway - but as I said I'm definitely trying to GET there :mrgreen:

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

to Haymarket addict: I suggest that your feeling about what you call "jazzy" songs may have something to do with your age. I am going to guess you are under 30, in which case you are too used to what is described as music today. I call what I am able to hear on the radio "mostly garbage". Therefore, I seldom, if ever, turn on the radio, unless it is to a country music station because there are literally (at least in Baltimore) NO stations that feature any music further back than 1965. It Seems the entrance of the Beatles is what makes modern music...the Trash Years. Granted, The Beatles had a few (very few) good songs; what they needed was for Doris to sing them! (i.e., Oooblidah oooblidee from the tv special).
Actually, and for your edification, the songs in LMOLM are NOT classified as jazz; they are classified as American Pop Standards...songs that are classic and have lasted for many decades and sung by anyone who has class and taste. I know you are trying to "get with it"; I am afraid you are a product of the current music generation who is sadly in need of a few courses of TRUE MUSIC APPRECIATION.

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

OH, I didn't wanna start any discussion about music taste in here - and I certainly don't wanna argue about it. I don't think you *can* really argue about good or "trash" music. .. I just think to each his own :wink:
But I do think the more I listen to the songs the more I like some of those I didn't like at the beginning and that's what I mean when I say I'm getting into those songs - Marion is doing a good job :lol:
Oh and by the way - I'm over 30 :wink:
Anke

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I'm under 30, and I LOVE it!!! I love anything Doris Day sings, period...lol
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

To Haymarket and Babe Williams:
I apologize to both of you if my comments, in any way, insulted either of you. They were not meant to do that. I think I was just reacting in general to what music we are able to hear on the radio today; for me, there is no choice. I don't care if they call it "range" or "rap" or "hiphop" or whatever...for me, it sounds like TRASH. And the other thing that gets me, is that the "female singers" all sound exactly the same; there is no distinction; just degrees of yelling and lack of enunciation with an abundant amount of moaning and groaning. For those who like it, I say more power to you.
But consider this. I go to the gym 3 to 5 x a week. There, we are FORCED to listen to the music they are playing at way too loud a volume. So, not only are they damaging my ear drums, but they are making me sick to my stomach with what they consider music. There is just NO comparison to what is around today, and what we took for granted when Doris was at her peak.
So once again, my apologies to you, ladies. I did not mean to direct the comments to you. Actually, Babe...I think you should bring Doris back. I know you are a singer and would like to be in show business...why don't you become The Doris Day of the 21st Century???

Daisy June

mikeydv wrote:To Haymarket and Babe Williams:
I apologize to both of you if my comments, in any way, insulted either of you. They were not meant to do that. I think I was just reacting in general to what music we are able to hear on the radio today; for me, there is no choice. I don't care if they call it "range" or "rap" or "hiphop" or whatever...for me, it sounds like TRASH. And the other thing that gets me, is that the "female singers" all sound exactly the same; there is no distinction; just degrees of yelling and lack of enunciation with an abundant amount of moaning and groaning. For those who like it, I say more power to you.
But consider this. I go to the gym 3 to 5 x a week. There, we are FORCED to listen to the music they are playing at way too loud a volume. So, not only are they damaging my ear drums, but they are making me sick to my stomach with what they consider music. There is just NO comparison to what is around today, and what we took for granted when Doris was at her peak.
So once again, my apologies to you, ladies. I did not mean to direct the comments to you. Actually, Babe...I think you should bring Doris back. I know you are a singer and would like to be in show business...why don't you become The Doris Day of the 21st Century???

I do have to agree with Mike on some of this. I am just agreeing with what he refers to the , rap, hip hop and that kind of music I don't care for. I guess it's the generation I grew up in. You cannot understand what they are singing these days. It is screaming and very loud. Last year when I was still working I decided to call a radio station that is well known in Atlanta and I left a message for the D.J. He did return my call (which I was shocked). He said how can I help you Carol. I said can you answer me a question and he said he would try. I wanted to know why there is not radio stations now playing music from the late 40's and the wonderful 50's pop music? I gave him examples" Doris Day, Frank Sinatra, Andy Wiliams, Rosemary Clooney, Perry Como, The McQuire Sisters, Jo Stafford, Steve and Edyie, etc. He said well Carol, it's this way, that music is not what people want to here. I told him I want to. I said I guarantee you if they had a station like that you would be surprised at the people from my generation and maybe a little older would listen to it everyday. He said, well if you can find someone that wants to spend money on something like that let me know. He said I tell you what you need to do. Go on the internet and I will give you some websites to listen to that kind of music. I said I know what they are. I said I want to turn on the radio and be able to turn to that kind of music and not put in a cd. He said, well those songs in that era are not what people want to hear now days. I said, I want to listen to them. Well, still no radio station in my area. It's really a shame, that most stations you get are not worth listening to. That just my opinion. I know the generation today like the music of today, but that still doesn't mean we can't have a choice on the radio.. What do you all think?

Carol

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

You're so right, Carol. Here in Los Angeles, a few stations have tried the Great American Songbook format, which I really enjoyed, but unfortunately, they just didn't get good ratings so they didn't last. There isn't much good out there today. Some of the singers are okay, but what they do with their voices! Oy! They scream, and go through all kinds of vocal histrionics - AND you can rarely understand what they're singing about. But, the kids like it, so what can you do?
Like Irene Dunne done.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

This is developing into an interesting discussion. Carol, how I identify with what you say -- turning on the radio and being able to listen to the oldies is a dream of mine as well. I speak as a youngster who is certainly into and (partly but largely) enjoys today's music but whose heart beats for the oldies (40's, 50's -- right up to the disco era actually but that's another story). However, living in Greece, such a chance not only is slight: it simply doesn't exist. The internet and a personal collection that keeps blossoming (which I wouldn't even dare to dream of when this journey started) has always been the only way and I'm more than greatful that there are such resources.

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

No need to apologize Mike - everyone is entitled to their own opinion especially what is classified as music taste (actually the same goes for movies I guess). Who is to judge that this or that music is trash and the other isn't? I think its all a matter of TASTE - that's all. I absolute LOVE many of Doris' songs - I just really can't find anything for me in the "big band music" or some other songs - equally do I like a lot of todays music, there are definitely a LOT of good singers around today as well - on the other hand I hate techno or rap or hip hop music - totally not for me. I just take bits of everything for me ... I'm sure you are right that this has to do with growing up during a certain time .... but I still wouldn't say that todays music is just trash :mrgreen:

hmm.... I'd say this goes slightly of topic .... I'm kinda sorry I started it :|

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

This film is a classic. It stands among the best film musical biographies ever. The chemistry between Doris and Cagney is red hot. Doris has never acted or sang better in a film. This part was a real departure for her and she rose to the occasion beautifully. As for the songs, they are all classics, or near classics, and the musical arrangements suited Doris to a tee. I don't understand how anyone cannot enjoy the songs in this film.

Sidenote: the clip of her sexy rendition of "Ten Cents A Dance" provoked wolf whistles in the theaters when I saw "That's Entertainment-Part 2." Yeah, baby.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Mike, no offense was taking at this end. But even if there were your last comment would've saved you..
mikeydv wrote:Actually, Babe...I think you should bring Doris back. I know you are a singer and would like to be in show business...why don't you become The Doris Day of the 21st Century???
lol.. I loved this! When I dream of becoming an actress and singer, I always think how awesome it would be if they would call me the Doris Day of the 21st century. Whoever they are.. I think it would even be great just to be compared to her!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss