Young at Heart

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Young at Heart"?

Poor
1%
Average
6%
Good
41%
Excellent
51%

Total votes: 78

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Young at Heart

Unread post by webmaster »

What do you think of "Young at Heart"?

http://www.dorisday.net/young_at_heart.html

Another review:

"I have to confess - no doubt thousands will snarl with fury - that I LOATHE Frank Sinatra and always have. I don't like his phrasing when he sings. I don't like his voice particularly. And I didn't really like him as a person, or as an actor. But I admit, with some humility, that he is very good in this movie".....
http://www.iofilm.co.uk/fm/y/young_at_heart_1954.shtml
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Mr & Miss Blue eyes!

Unread post by Jas1 »

I love Young at Heart - after Calamity Jane - it is the film I most associate with Doris when I was growing up. The film was on tv alot and I always loved it. Doris looked so 1950's with her drindle skirts, short hair, and pedal pushers. I just loved everything about it - even number nine!

Funny though for years I didn't like the Sinatra role and could not understand why she would ditch Gig Young for him. However as I have matured I can see Sinatra's appeal. I still think though the character should have died as originally scripted.

SINATRA - I really like him - funny I have two friends (both 60 plus) - one female in Surrey (England) who adores him - she actually pushed backstage to see him in London in the late forties and was in a room talking to him - with Ava Gardner (maybe 1949-50). My other friend (who adores Betty Bacall) - HATES Sinatra - maybe in this respect he is a bit like Doris - people seem to either really love him or are really critical of him - sometimes for the same reasons!

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

I liked many songs by Frank as he had great orchestras backing him with great arrangements.I never liked him in movies and would have enjoyed Young at Heart much more if somebody else played his part. As I learned more about his personal life the more I disliked him.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Period

Unread post by Ralph »

Frank Sinatra was one of the great singers. Period. Doris Day, in my opinion, was his equal. But, there were other singers who were Frank's "equal." Nat "King" Cole, Jack Jones, Johnny Mathis, Tony Bennett, others. On Doris Day, we had Rosemary Clooney, Patti Page and Jo Stafford! And, Peggy Lee, in her own way.

I wasn't crazy about anything that Frank did in "Young At Heart" except when he sang with Doris. Those old standards he performed were boring as hell, in my opinion. Doris lit up the screen with each musical performance - she was wonderful.

No female in film history, has had the VOICE of Doris Day. Period. Not Judy Garland or Barbra Streisand. :lol:

Karen T

Unread post by Karen T »

I love YOUNG AT HEART Its my favourite movie. Its the movie that introduced me to Doris Day, so it will always have a special place in my heart. I also love the songs in that movie.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Young at heart - whats my line.

Unread post by Jas1 »

I just watched the extra features on the dvd (season1) and particularly loved the appearances on "What's my line" - Doris looked fabulous and so "Doris" - on the first (1954) she said she was about to make "Young at Heart" - but she had the haircut etc she wore in the film and looked fab in black (or dark) drindle dress. Did anyone notice the later appearance (1957) made just after Pajama Game was released, how much more stylised she looked? What a sexy woman! Again, looking fab in a black or dark drindle kind of dress. I love her so much.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

The Dramatic Singers

Unread post by Ralph »

When Barbra Streisand came along, there were other nightclub singers in the same vain, most notibly, Diahann Carroll, Lena Horne, Judy Garland, Edie Gorme, Shirley Bassey and on their way out, Dorothy Dandridge, Joyce Bryant and Eartha Kitt.

These ladies were appearing in the top venues of New York, Florida, California and Las Vegas. I loved all of them, but compared to Streisand, I liked Diahann better. Carroll was a very dramatic singer. I saw her at the Persian Room at the Plaza Hotel and I cannot describe her performance. Unlike Barbra, who was rather stiff on stage, Diahann used her entire body, dramatic gestures and wonderful work with the mike. Plus, Diahann looked absolutely spectacular on stage...what a beauty.

Joyce Bryant, Imagemany years later, became a personal friend of mine. The lady was known as "the black Marilyn Monroe," Imagebecause she was so sexy and had dyed her hair silver. Joyce wore skin-tight gowns with fish tails and worked so hard during her act that she literally lost three to four pounds some performances. Bryant gave up her successsful career for the church and was the star that TV host, David Susskind lusted after for years. She appeared on the Ed Sullivan show several times and was the first black performer to perform and reside at the Fountainebleau Hotel in Florida. She, along with Sammy Davis, Jr. and Dorothy Dandrige, broke down racial barriers in show biz. Joyce popularized "Runnin' Wild," "Drunk with Love" and "Love for Sale." The latter two were banned from the radio because of Joyce's seductive treatment of the songs.

The good news is that she is alive and well and living in Los Angeles. I spoke with her the other night. A book and a movie should be forthcoming about her life.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Thanks Lauren

Unread post by Jas1 »

Lauren, thank you so much for these wonderful pictures.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I bought myself a little present this year ~ Young at Heart and Lullaby of Broadway. This is the first time that I have had a chance to see them.

As I watched Young at Heart, I felt like I had watched the movie before. Then I realized it was a remake of Four Daughters. However, with the added scenes, development of characters, witty script and of course Doris, this is a different film with a different tone to it.

A question that often comes up is why didn't Laurie (Doris) pick the successful, attractive, confident Alex Burke(Gig) over the loser Barney (Frank)? Barney is the more talented of the two, and if you look at the Burke character, he actually uses Barney and does nothing to help his self esteem. Laurie's father often jokes that Alex steals his material, and there is some truth in that. Laurie (Doris) believes in Barney, and I think that if Frank died, it would undermind her belief.

As far as singing, I felt that Doris and Frank were on equal ground in this film. Frank's character doesn't appear until the middle of the film, and Doris has already sung several songs.

I like young Frank's singing and some of his films. I liked this film, but in general, I think his better films were the ones where he had less control.
The Doris Day Show

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I'm not crazy about this movie. I'm one of those people that doesn't understand WHY SHE WOULD CHOOSE FRANK SINATRA ????
Of course -- I'm not a fan of Frank Sinatra in movies or in his personal life. I do like his singing. I agree with the comments that he and Doris are on the same level musically. And, in some interview I saw with Hotchner - he said that Frank basically said that about Doris --and Frank was pretty conceited - don't think he thought anyone was as good as he was.
But - back to the movie -- Don't get the choice of Frank over Gig. In the old version with Priscilla Lane - was if Four Daughters ? - she goes for the bad boy but he dies and she gets back with the good guy. If Sinatra wasn't such a conceited bully he would have died and Doris would have gotten back with Gig !!
One thing I like about Sinatra - didn't he have Marty thrown off the set ??
Good for him on that one !!
This movie just hits me as one of those 50's melodrama's that wasn't that great. But - of course - I will watch Doris in anything !!

Love those photos Lauren posted !!
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Natalier

the songs

Unread post by Natalier »

I rated this movie good as I loved the songs in it. I loved ready, able and willing that was the best song in it. Dont know if any of you guys have seen the short movie with Jennfier Saunders playing Laurel in Young at heart that was very funny to watch
Its a great feeling

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Hi All -- Just want to say Sorry for those rude Sinatra comments - I was just re-reading them and they were a little harsh !! I guess you can tell I really don't like Sinatra !!

Toni :cry:
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Rock II

Re: Young at Heart

Unread post by Rock II »

webmaster wrote:What do you think of "Young at Heart"?

http://www.dorisday.net/young_at_heart.html

Another review:

"I have to confess - no doubt thousands will snarl with fury - that I LOATHE Frank Sinatra and always have. I don't like his phrasing when he sings. I don't like his voice particularly. And I didn't really like him as a person, or as an actor. But I admit, with some humility, that he is very good in this movie".....
http://www.iofilm.co.uk/fm/y/young_at_heart_1954.shtml

I agree, not crazy about Sinatra, but he was effective in this role....and Dynamite Doris.....was just that....Dynamite! She's just soooooooo Wholesome and and so pretty!

And so warm....with the song...'Rising Moon'...WOW! No more movies close to the quality of Doris Day Movies!! :) :D

And Francis A. was excellent singing the great title song, ''Young at Heart''

webmaster

Thanks for that, Rock II, and welcome to the forum and for taking us back to the film briefly. It was great to see those photos as I scrolled down.

I just want to make it clear that that I didn't say "that I LOATHE Frank Sinatra and always have." I was quoting from a review. I like Frank Sinatra!

Kian

Young At Heart

Unread post by Kian »

I've been watching Young At Heart in segments over the last few nights, as it was in a boxset of three Doris films that someone recently gave me and I already have the other two (Lover Come Back and The Thrill Of It All). I hadn't seen it in the best part of ten years but I am enjoying it greatly. I particularly liked the first 40 minutes of the story before Sinatra's character appears on the scene, as it has romance for all three sisters, comedy with Ernie the plumber, the fabulous songs that Doris sings and the great scene on the beach, which reminded me a little bit of beach scenes in some of her other movies like Lover Come Back. Once Sinatra arrives the plot developments come on very quickly, especially as I am in the camp that doesn't understand why Doris's character would choose Frank Sinatra's over Gig Young's, but it is clear from the high quality of the acting that Doris's and Frank's characters each feel something for each other - I just think it is a bit sudden from her putting her hand on his arm at the nightclub, which is presumably when they realise their love for each other, to suddenly seeing her jilting her fiance at the wedding a scene or two later. I do like Sinatra's singing and he has some great songs in this part of the movie. I've yet to watch the final half hour but overall I think the movie just makes it into the excellent category, rather than only good.

Kian

Karl King

Charming Movie!

Unread post by Karl King »

Young At Heart is a charming movie. The title song is my most favorite Sinatra song! Let's scoot ahead to another charming movie about New York not so many years ago that used Frank's ORIGINAL VERSION of YAH over a scene at the ballpark in New York. And I saw the movie in New York. When that great Nelson Riddle instrumental bridge came on people CHEERED. A lot of us got up an clapped! That is such a powerful song! Nelson Riddle and Frank did a re-arrangement of it with way too many woodwinds intruding on the song. So the second version was ruined.

And I can't think of that movie! I can describe it. It was about a cop who had a lottery ticket. He split it with the waitress in cafe, for good luck. And they won! Plot compications. Lovely movie!

But now, Frank did NOT sing on-camera the full orchestral hit in YAH. That was over titles, etal.

Doris and her "sisters" were superb. You really had to suspend belief that Frank wrote the hit songs of a dozlen other songsmiths. And still was a downer. But, hey, it's a movie!

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Great photo !!

webmaster

That's a rare one - thanks for posting in the ideal place! 8)

AnthonyS

Wow!

Unread post by AnthonyS »

Wow! The pro and anti Frankies are at it again! As you might imagine, I have some thoughts on this, perhaps not best suited to the Films of ... section but still I'll post them later after I've thought them through.

As a teaser, I'll say that this picture doesn't do a lot for me, although in fairness I've not seen it in some time. As I remember it appeared just a little too, too much ... :?

Anyway, more to come ... cheers.

Anthony
Never forget who had, and has, class. Tell your children about them every chance you get.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Re: Period

Unread post by Doris Martin »

Ralph wrote:Frank Sinatra was one of the great singers. Period. Doris Day, in my opinion, was his equal. But, there were other singers who were Frank's "equal." Nat "King" Cole, Jack Jones, Johnny Mathis, Tony Bennett, others. On Doris Day, we had Rosemary Clooney, Patti Page and Jo Stafford! And, Peggy Lee, in her own way.

I wasn't crazy about anything that Frank did in "Young At Heart" except when he sang with Doris. Those old standards he performed were boring as hell, in my opinion. Doris lit up the screen with each musical performance - she was wonderful.

No female in film history, has had the VOICE of Doris Day. Period. Not Judy Garland or Barbra Streisand. :lol:
very true very true.Marti

ddfan55

Young at Heart

Unread post by ddfan55 »

We just had a Doris and her men week on our cable tv and the first movie was Young at Heart. I had not seen it before (maybe a very long time ago but don't remember it). I enjoyed it but am not a big fan of Frank in his early days. Doris was great as was Elisabeth Fraser. I rated it good. And thanks for the great photos from the movie.

Lyn :)

wildfleurcotage

Unread post by wildfleurcotage »

it's one of my favorite movies of hers!

webmaster

Young @ Heart

The Girl Next Door strikes again:

And she's Ready, Willing and Able:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax2ylopgHqk

Is that the beach at Carmel?

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I LOVE this movie. Doris Day and Frank Sinatra act very well together. This is one of my favorites of hers. Well I like all of her movies... If Doris Day is in it, I like it. I thought the scene in the hospital suite was very sweet and touching. It almost made me cry when she said, "You can't die Barney, I need you, WE need you" This movie gets a trillian thumbs up
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Found this wallpaper, hope you like it!

Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss