Young at Heart

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Young at Heart"?

Poor
1%
Average
6%
Good
41%
Excellent
51%

Total votes: 78

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Just saw the movie for the first time and liked it a lot, especially because of the music. Got a new favourite: Hold me in your arms... *dream*
Don't get the choice of Frank over Gig. In the old version with Priscilla Lane - was if Four Daughters ? - she goes for the bad boy but he dies and she gets back with the good guy. If Sinatra wasn't such a conceited bully he would have died and Doris would have gotten back with Gig !!
Call me a silly romantic, but isn't it lovely to have a character drawn from depression and turn into a happy man enjoying his life?

I prefer that much more than him dying and her turning back to Gig as second best...
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Somewhat unrealistic, but Doris' character worked so hard to make him change. She even pleaded with him in the hospital. I'm going to watch this movie over the weekend.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

so am I.. I think this is the one we're watching on the other forumm

Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Young at Heart

Unread post by Jas1 »

Donna,

The actress you refer to [Elisabeth Frazer/ Fraser] was the same actress as in GBB and indeed she was in Tunnell of Love too.

Erica_R_Stone

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone »

I like Frank Sinatra just fine. However, NOT in this picture. Nothing about this picture makes much sense to me. Beautiful girl, sweet family. Along comes Mr. nice guy, who falls for the beautiful girl. Ah great story, UNTIL, Mr. I-have-no-obvious-redeeming-qualities, comes along. Does nothing to romance or win the beautiful girl over, but somehow by the sheer magnatism of his narcsasistic ways, gets beautiful girl (kind and considerate as well) to leave Mr. nice guy at the altar. (and we haven't even seen them kiss)

Uuuughhh....blech, phooey, bppflt...

Doris Day shines as usual, Gig Young steals the show from Frank Sinatra, and leaves you wondering why wouldn't Mr. nice guy consider the beautiful girl's sweet sister?? (Who, consequently, marries the plumber???)
"At least mine can be solved in one bedroom!"

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

There is one of my favorite scenes from the movie. (It comes right after Bryan's clip).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRwH0TN8tVE
The Doris Day Show

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

I saw this one over the weekend .... I liked it. Well.... better said I liked MOST of it. I didn't really care for the end. It was way to soppy and kitsch for my taste. Dunno ... from the part of Frank having that accident I just thought :roll: I read in Doris' book that the script in the original had Franks character dying in the end but he wouldn't do it - would have made a better movie to me overall kinda.
BUT the rest really was a cute movie - I'm kinda in the group that doesn't understand Doris' character chosing Frank over Gig Young - but then Frank Sinatra was never THAT appealing to me - and his character in that movie didn't apply to me AT ALL - especially since Doris' chara seemed to happy and fun. But then that I don't have to understand. I liked it and voted it good :D
Two things I also didn't understand about the movie
a) how can you put Frank Sinatra and Doris Day in a movie and only give them one song and 3 sentences to sing together
b) WHY does Gig Young never get the girl in ANY movie ? To bad - he is really fun! :mrgreen:

globack

Unread post by globack »

What I like most about "Young At Heart" is the family feeling in the movie. There's is such a loving atmosphere within the family that I really enjoy.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

http://www.bryanj.co.uk/Young-at-Heart.htm

(This is a clip from the BBC's "Doris Day: Virgin Territory", about "Young at Heart")
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Re:

Unread post by pillowtalk »

:?: Deleting my post here...
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

agree with you. While I loved this movie, I can't understand, why did she choose Frank Sinatra? They just didn't fit....I mean Gig Young was funny, smart, handsome, talented, sweet....WHY DOESN'T SHE CHOOSE HIM?? It makes no sense! Frank Sinatra wasn't a real catch. He was depressed, mean, and unattractive. Not seeing why she would choose him.
Kinda begs the same question of Doris Day's choice in men. Why did she choose the likes of Al Jordan and Marty Melcher when undoubtedly there were other, far more appealing men to be with? Why does anyone fall in love with someone who isn't worthy of them?

This film is not perfect, but as someone else said, it has a sweetness about it that is disarming. It's the perfect movie for a rainy or snowy afternoon in front of the TV with a blanket over you and a cup of hot tea or cocoa. It's also a very nostalgic slice of Americana that clearly does not exist anymore.

I think it was unfortunate that Sinatra was able to alter the ending to feed his ego. He compromised an otherwise good film that could have been much better.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

jmichael wrote:
agree with you. While I loved this movie, I can't understand, why did she choose Frank Sinatra? They just didn't fit....I mean Gig Young was funny, smart, handsome, talented, sweet....WHY DOESN'T SHE CHOOSE HIM?? It makes no sense! Frank Sinatra wasn't a real catch. He was depressed, mean, and unattractive. Not seeing why she would choose him.
Kinda begs the same question of Doris Day's choice in men. Why did she choose the likes of Al Jordan and Marty Melcher when undoubtedly there were other, far more appealing men to be with? Why does anyone fall in love with someone who isn't worthy of them?

This film is not perfect, but as someone else said, it has a sweetness about it that is disarming. It's the perfect movie for a rainy or snowy afternoon in front of the TV with a blanket over you and a cup of hot tea or cocoa. It's also a very nostalgic slice of Americana that clearly does not exist anymore.

I think it was unfortunate that Sinatra was able to alter the ending to feed his ego. He compromised an otherwise good film that could have been much better.

Michael
Very well said.
suzie

webmaster

Doris Day's choice in men. Why did she choose....
I don't know about the rest of you but when I think about people I was romantically involved with in the past, a couple I'm still friends with, I just don't understand it now. We change so much as we mature that it's sometimes hard to understand what previous passions were all about.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Well, in my case, passion is what got me into trouble in the first place!

Now that I am older, I've learned that other, more substantial qualities go a lot further in the long run. But it took a few bad experiences to learn that lesson. One of the benefits of getting older is you learn from your mistakes and your choices become more informed. At least, that's what we aim for. Easier said than done.

I agree with you, Bryan, that our tastes change. It's like: what in the heck did I see in that person?

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

It's like: what in the heck did I see in that person?
I was trying not to put it as brutal as that, Michael! But that's a way of looking it it! The 'passion' blinds you to things like 'compatibility' and shared interests. But I suppose, like Doris, it's something we all go through - unless you marry your childhood sweetheart and live happily every after. :wink:

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I agree with both of you. We have all been "Young at heart " at one time or another. Made some really bad choices here and there. Some of us even married our bad choices (not me ive never married ) I tend to be a bit too picky lol. Just dont want to be stuck with someone ,just for the sake of having someone. :wink:
Life is to short to be unhappy.Bet if doris were right here in this room with me and I told her that I have had four men ask me to marry them and I told them NO , she would most likely say good for you sue, dont mary them unless you are absolutly sure thats what you want to do. I have friends who married right out of school, and to this day they are still very happy.I think that is great to. I remember doris saying in a television interview that anytime someone asked her to marry them she always said yes.Doris laughed about that. My point is that we all make good choices and bad, thats what makes us all human lol. :wink:
suzie

webmaster

Very wise comments, Sue. I seem to have found 'the right person' by accident but before that I was happy being single. I tried a couple of times to 'make it happen' because friends have a habit of saying 'when are you going to settle down?' etc and it never worked out. I ended up hurting the other person because my heart wasn't in it. It's much better to be happy with yourself than to be unhappy with somebody else (sounds like "Love Me or Leave Me"!) I realised I wanted a relationship that allowed me the freedom to be myself. It doesn't mean you are not committed or you sleep around, you just want a little room to be yourself. It's hard to define but you probably know what I mean.

But to get back to the topic, I've got a lot of admiration for Frank Sinatra. I think he was a very complex character. He had a 'reputation' and had friends in the Mafia (allegedly!) but he was also a kind person and helped a lot of people out. He financially supported Ava Gardner in the last years of her life when she was living in London and was always there for her and people he considered friends. Like most of us, he was good and bad, but he had a great talent. Criticising him goes back to my philosophy of not making judgements about people - if you can avoid it!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

webmaster wrote:I've got a lot of admiration for Frank Sinatra. I think he was a very complex character. He had a 'reputation' and had friends in the Mafia (allegedly!) but he was also a kind person and helped a lot of people out. He financially supported Ava Gardner in the last years of her life when she was living in London and was always there for her and people he considered friends. Like most of us, he was good and bad, but he had a great talent. Criticising him goes back to my philosophy of not making judgements about people - if you can avoid it!
I don't have much room to talk about the previous discussion, as I've never dated. So, I'm going to jump in on the Frank Sinatra talk. I agree with you Bryan! I think played Barney very well, which was a very complex character. It shows how good of an actor he was, being able to put himself in such difficult roles and getting to play next to Doris Day. He also was a very nice person in real life. Very caring. Besides supporting Ava Gardner, he was there to uplift many others. Including Marilyn Monroe, I only know this because I read a book about her for my book report. When Jo Dimaggio went to break down Marilyn's door, Frank was right there making sure nothing out of hand happened. And he remained her friend till the day she died, though they were never romantically involved... I LOVE Frankie!

And speaking of Love Me Or Leave Me, it just so happens that's what I'm watching right now!!!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

jmichael
Honorary Member

Gosh, I feel guilty for criticizing Mr. Sinatra. I like him too though. A lot. He is by far the best male interpreter of popular song. He can break your heart with his line readings and then swing with the best of them. His TV specials, A Man and His Music, were outstanding. You really felt you were getting a full portrait of the man and the artist. His talent, musicality and legacy are beyond criticism.

I also believe he was a generous humanitarian and capable of great kindness. But I also believe he was a troubled, moody and rather dark human being at times. His demons often got the best of him. All the more reason to admire and respect him for what he gave the world. I know he loved dogs. I've seen several pictures of him with his King Charles Cavaliers. I have two of those myself at home. I know you cannot be a cold or insensitive human being and have those loving animals around you. It isn't possible.

Michael
Michael H

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I don't have much to say about this topic since most has been said . All I will say is that A man and his Music is such an amazing special !The two that I saw were really something ! Also, if you really want to learn about Frank Sinatra check out the book that his butler wrote just acouple years ago . It's about most of his life being Sinatras' private butler. I thought it was pretty intresting.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

webmaster

Thanks for that, Michael. And Dominique, I just did a search for the book you mentioned:

Mr. S: My Life with Frank Sinatra by George Jacobs

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002T ... e&n=283155

Quote: "Althought this book is a "kiss and tell" (something Mr.S would not like) I do believe it shows a very human side of Frank Sinatra."
I wonder if the Sinatra fans get as worked up about 'revelations' as Doris' fans? :roll:

This one has had very good reviews too:

Sinatra, Behind the Legend by J. Randy Taraborrelli
http://www.amazon.com/Sinatra-Behind-Le ... 15H14DMQZ3

Vicki M

Unread post by Vicki M »

I always thought Laurie didn't marry Alex because she found out her sister was in love with him. She married Frank because he was in love with her. I felt she cared more for her sisters happiness than her own.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Yep, Vicki , Thats how I saw the film as well. Took frank as a second choice so as not to hurt her sister.
suzie

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Yep, Vicki , Thats how I saw the film as well. Took frank as a second choice so as not to hurt her sister.
To make it more complex I think she only realized she loves Barney when he told her that he is in love with her. But she doesn't want to hurt Alex and goes to marry him, so when she realizes her sister is in love with him, she happily goes off to marry Barney.

Why would she otherwise say "You know how much" to his question if she loves him?

Does that make sense?
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

webmaster

No, not at all.

Only kidding. My pot psychology goes like this: she couldn't be in love with Gig Young because he's a total phoney and well below her on the credits. She wants an equal, Frank - he's not the male lead for nothing - he's got sex appeal, charisma, power, etc. Compared to him, Gig Young is an Andrex puppy (which is why women love him) but basically he's an overgrown boy-next-door that would bore you to death after a year's marriage.
Also men distrust him because we can see through his manipulative games - plus he can't sing. :shock:

I'm going out on a limb here.... :D Only (half) kidding.

Anyway, what prompted this was a Sinatra CD I downloaded with a different version of "Young @ Heart" that I wanted to share with you:

http://www.box.net/shared/l7dpss4dqz