Young at Heart

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Young at Heart"?

Poor
1%
Average
6%
Good
41%
Excellent
51%

Total votes: 78

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Young at Heart

Unread post by webmaster »

I don't know why I'm being hard on Gig Young - I always really enjoy him in Doris' films.

Must be a Darwinian thing. Maybe I think I'm a bit of a Gig Young at heart - that was an unconscious Freudian 'slip'. I always feel guilty if I say something unkind but sometimes it's what you really feel, isn't it?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

Yes but Samantha, did you listen to the track? :)

http://www.box.net/shared/l7dpss4dqz

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I listened to it. And I really liked it. Especially the little introduction at the beginning. Frank Sinatra is kind of like Doris Day I think. No female's voice can compare with hers, and no male voice can compare with his..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

Ok....so I went back and watched this one again. I've changed my mind...I actually liked it better this time around. I can see why she chose Sinatra. He was sweet, he just needed a little guidance, and he needed Doris to turn his life around. I think Gig Young would have been a better choice, but hey, love is love and nobody's ever going to fully understand it. :D

What was my problem in my other post? I must have been having a really bad day or something, because boy was I being harsh!! :shock: :lol: :shock:
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

webmaster

Hi Nicki

I had the same experience - when I first watched it I thought it was a bit old fashioned or not very 'real' and then I watched it a year ago and thought it was great!

I'll have to speak to my analysist about that - maybe I was thinking "Jung at Heart"?

Don't know what you mean about posting problems - and I much prefer Frank to Gig Young.

I Love this pic:
http://www.dorisday.net/gallery/details.php?image_id=1

(Even though Frank doesn't seem to be returning Doris' gaze!)

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

I also enjoyed this movie.
At the beginning of the movie, I got a kick out of it that Doris' Dad was a flute professor! Because I'm a professional flutist, I had professors so much like that man! After the movie, I started playing "Young At Heart" on my flute! :D
Doris had a great part in this movie, showing her early acting ability. And she looked very beautiful as always.
I bought this on DVD recently.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I love this movie!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

As we all know, "Young At Heart" was released by Warner Bros. In all the VHS and DVD releases of "Young At Heart" which I have seen, the opening credits and the ending credits are replaced by a blue screen. The sound track is still present, but the integrity of the original film is adversely affected. Are there any released versions of "Young At Heart" that are exactly as the originally released version?

webmaster

Hi Tex - I don't think I've come across that (has anyone else?) The current version I have is from a 4-film box set of Sinatra movies - but I've never seen a blue screen - just the red credits over a shot outside the house.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I think it is important to examine movies in the context of the time and culture that they were made.

Young At Heart is a moving and thoughtful 1954 picture with a really interesting relationship between Doris and Frank. It is also a family drama about a father with three daughters. The wonderful Ethel Barrymore was terrific to watch. The music is great. It is a really enjoyable film for its' time.

Johnny
Johnny

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

I sure agree with you Johnny! Well said! :D

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Rewatched Young At Heart and was great to see two 40's singing giants on the silver screen for us to enjoy forever. Heard the dvd people want to give Sinartra top billing over Doris! Doris was a bigger movie star before and after this picture so how can that be???
Gig Youngs character went gay after Laurie jilted him and became lovers with Pop!!! Only kidding folks!
Wish the number with Doris and Frank were longer. Frank said to Doris when he invited her to sing with him," join the family." Shades of the Godfather???
Did they really name the baby lighting? I loved the movie all over again!!!

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Johnny wrote:I think it is important to examine movies in the context of the time and culture that they were made.

Young At Heart is a moving and thoughtful 1954 picture with a really interesting relationship between Doris and Frank. It is also a family drama about a father with three daughters. The wonderful Ethel Barrymore was terrific to watch. The music is great. It is a really enjoyable film for its' time.

Johnny
Great point about appreciating films that reflect a certain time, place and culture. This film evokes the smell of homemade pies baking in the oven and the sounds of a warm, crackling fireplace to keep everybody safe and warm. You have to approach it with respect for a more innocent time. I cannot help but yearn for that era when I watch this movie. I've said this before, but the only thing that mars it for me is the upbeat ending. It did not jell with the rest of the movie.

What a terrific cast. They made you believe they were a real family and you cared about all of them.

Michael H
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlegoldfish666 »

Just finished watching this :D I must say to start off with. I was never a big fan of Frank Sinatra, his movies or his singing. But I did like this movie, probably mainly because Doris was in it :P

I mean WOW, just goes to show how diverse she is. Not only can she do comedy but she can also do the emotional scenes just as brilliantly. I felt her pain when she was at the bedside :? I liked her sister Amy, I felt sorry for her :( But she got her happy ending in the end :D

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

I thought that Doris & Frank made for a very odd pair. There was not much screen chemistry between them.
Personally I have always preferred Perry Como over Frank Sinatra and thought that Doris and Perry were much more suited musically - indeed DD's 1971 TV special is a prime example of this - turned out to be their only colloboration together.
Doris and Perry both had extremely lyrical voices. Frank was a bit too 'nitty gritty'. However that is only my taste.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Just checked out the "Young at Heart" page, and discovered this wonderful video of director Terence Davies
introducing the film. Check it out ... here's the link:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/live/video/317
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks for posting Howard, that was really nice to see.

webmaster

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

webmaster wrote:It's from here: :wink:

http://www.dorisday.net/young_at_heart.html
Thank you so very much dear Bryan...this is one that I like very much

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

ImageImageImage
It's like they sing together
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I saw Young At Heart the other day and Doris' songs are American classics that are timeless and beautiful. It is so heartwarming to hear her sing. The younger members of the family loved her singiing as much as I did and do.

Johnny
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I saw Young At Heart on TCM last April and wondered what the film would have been like if Dean Martin had played the Frank Sinatra role. I think Dean and Doris would have had some great chemistry.

With Dean's voice and looks, I believe they would have done a great job, and looked great together.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Recently I was browsing at a library and found a bit of trivia pertaining to "Young at Heart." Some, if not all, of the piano solos were played by Andre Previn. The liner notes for his and Doris's 1962 "Duet" album indicate that they had never met before they made that album. If they had gotten together for recording sessions in 1954, I bet the results would've been just as terrific as they were 8 years later. (Just wishful thinking; Mitch Miller probably wouldn't have gone for that idea.)

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Saw a Young At Heart collectors plate on facebook. With Doris and Frank. Anyone know how to get one?Rare item.