Send Me No Flowers

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Send Me No Flowers"?

Poor
1%
Average
6%
Good
47%
Excellent
46%

Total votes: 70

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Send Me No Flowers

Unread post by webmaster »

Doris on the set of "Send Me No Flowers".

http://www.dorisday.net/send_me_no_flowers.html

"Send Me No Flowers" confuses me. I think it's a great plot for a black comedy and I remember thinking once it was the best of the three Hudson-Day films (which should have been Day-Hudson except in this film). But I watched it the other night on DVD and mostly remember Doris being very giggly. I like the idea of someone being that unselfish - that they would try and find a partner for their other half if they knew they were dying.

Doris did say "This was Rock's film". What do you think of it?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Karen T

Unread post by Karen T »

This film did not go down so well at the time of its release, audiences of that time did not take with its black humour. As crtics have said it goes down better with todays audiences, very funny with lots of black humour.
It is definately a Rock Hudson and Tony Randall film, they were both brilliant in this film. I like the photo, I've never seen that one before.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Send me;;;;;;;;

Unread post by Jas1 »

Anything with Rock and Doris I would love but this is by far my least favourite of the three they did together.

As has been said, it was really not Doris' film. She didn't get to wear wonderful clothes and some of her hair doos were don'ts! I liked the white dress / jacket and I loved the scene of the two of them lying in bed talking about how they met over a chinese meal "it was a pick up"! The following scene where Doris confronts the Doctor for going fishing is also extremely funny.

However, in the end, I like to see Doris & Rock in the city (not suburbia) in high power jobs. Would have loved to have seen them as opposing Counsel in a legal sex comedy - something akin to "Adam's Rib" would have been superb.

Ken
Honorary Member

Send Me No Flowers

Unread post by Ken »

I rated this as good. I liked Pillow Talk and Lover Come Back more.

bluebird1115

Unread post by bluebird1115 »

SMNF was a big step down, imo. The script is lame, and the situations and acting forced and unconvincing. The last half becomes nearly unbearable and monotonous.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I loved this film, altough I think it showcases the talent of Hudson and Randall more than Day. I would have given it an excellent, but I hit the wrong button. :roll:

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

I just want to add I heard this Day/ Hudson film wasn't as popular as the other two because the characters were already married. Of their three films, the one I liked the least was Lover Come Back. I thought it was a rehashed plot of Pillow talk, although Hudson and Day were great in it. Day despises the Hudson character before she meets him, He pretends to be someone else, who is very naive about love. Just before he wins her over, someone warns her. Sounds familar? And I didn't like how they did her hair (just had to add that.).

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Lover Come Back

Unread post by webmaster »

Just for you Debbi: :lol:

phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3192#3192

"Fun may be fun, but it's not when the one that you love has gone."
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Pics

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks for that Bryan,

I have never seen some of these photos before. The one on the first page sitting, (around 1963) is very Marilyn Monroe!

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

What wonderful pictures!
The Doris Day Show

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja »

Hi @ all,

I found the two pictures of the movie send me no flowers...but I haven't seen the scenes in the movie (I only know the dream scene...with the flower and the life assurance). Maybe we have a other version of the movie in Germany :?: .
Can you help me, please?

Image Image

Thank's
Tanja

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Lauren, great shot of her dancing, which film is this from?

As for SMNF the script is nothing special. It has several amusing moments that work on their own but the movie is less than the sum of its parts. I love the sequence with Doris getting caught outside in her robe and slippers. Ditto the slapping sequence with Rock in bed and the "Delores Yellowstone" bit at the train station. Beyond that however the film is too much Rock and Tony for me and Doris's character Judy just isn't all that interesting. Whatever zip she has is all in the performance, not on the page. Wasn't this based on a stage play?

Finally, the title song is catchy but of all the great Bacharach / David numbers why was this the only one Doris recorded? Sigh.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

music

Unread post by Jas1 »

Burt Bacharach was interviewed on BBC Radio a few years ago and said he wrote at least 3 versions of this song as he so wanted it accepted, it was a big thing to do a D Day movie. I often wonder what the others sounded like? I love the song in this film, although it doesn't compare to Move over Darling, which was really modern and of the time, and even "Do not Disturb" was swinging.

It's Magic

Unread post by It's Magic »

I LOVE THIS FILM. Probably because I can kinda relate to it growing up. :) I think Doris is great in it and Rock is handsome as usual. I give this film over 5 stars. I love it so much,it's so much fun and light-hearted,since you know that Rock's fine during the entire thing. lol This is perhaps my favorite Doris film ever,along with Glass Bottom Boat,and my favorite Rock film next to Man's Favorite Sport?. I alo love the theme song.

Jas1
Honorary Member

The photo

Unread post by Jas1 »

Anyone else think in the photo [above] Doris Looks somewhat like Stockard Channing [whom I adore] in the film 'Grease' when she wears the blond wig and sings 'look at me I'm Sandra Dee.."?

suzie
Forum Big Sister

exellent

Unread post by suzie »

smnf not my favorite day hudson randall film ,but most enjoyable never the less.It is a bit hard to swallow rock as a hypocondreack,he being so well built and healthy looking and all.Tony as always playing the straight guy(and lets face it nobody does it better ) who is looking out for his friends best interest.

I didnt like the scene where rock chases after doris to tell her the truth about his non-existant affair,and tries to convince her to come back to him.its just a little to cutsie and silly.

Paul,s cemetary sales guy routine is so funny and had me in stitches.I loved most of this film,its leading man and lady are the best there ever was at this man woman game.If you want to laugh this is the film for you.
suzie

Natalier

Send me no flowers

Unread post by Natalier »

I thought he film was very funny Rock and Doris are so good together when they act its ashame that they didnt do more movies together.
Its a great feeling

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

In the past I didn't like this film too much. But I like it a lot more now. There are some very funny scenes in it. Like the ones that were mentioned - I really like the Dolores Yellowstone scene and another one was the one in the parking lot after she sees Rock kissing in the coat room. But my favorite of the three is Lover Come Back. It has a great script. Image
But of course I really like all of the DD and Rock movies.

Toni

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja »

CUTE!!!

Tanja :D

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Very cute -- thanks for picture - I didn't have that one !!
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja »

Hi @ all,

Tanja :D

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Tanja - thanks for posting -- that is one of my favorites of DD and Rock.
Those off camera candids are my favorites !! :D

Here are a few more for your enjoyment !! :)

Hope you all enjoyed these !!
Toni
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Sheila

Send Me no Flowers

Unread post by Sheila »

I enjoyed this film, it has some funny moments. This “raunchy” dance with the young dry cleaning man, I found especially funny.

And of course Rock and Doris …….the A team! :wink:Image

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Sheila - I love that scene too ! I wish we could have seen more of it !

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Clive Clerk Play Vito in "Flowers"

Unread post by Ralph »

Original A Chorus Line Cast Member Clive Clerk Dead at 59
by Broadway.com Staff

Clive Clerk

Broadway.com has learned that original A Chorus Line cast member Clive Clerk died this week in Los Angeles, California. He was 59.
Clerk played Larry, assistant of Zach, in the original company of A Chorus Line. His other acting credits include the films Send Me No Flowers (he played Vito), Dear Brigitte and Billie and the soap opera Days of Our Lives.
After A Chorus Line, Clerk changed his name to Clive Wilson and began working professionally as an artist. His work was displayed at many California and New York galleries.

CLIVE (CLERK) WILSON (Larry-original) joined the Gay Men's Chorus of New York. He made his Carnegie Hall debut with DONNA MCKECHNIE (Cassie-original) supporting him all the way in the front row. Clive said it was a wonderful experience. Good to know he's keeping his singing chops oiled.