Send Me No Flowers

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Send Me No Flowers"?

Poor
1%
Average
6%
Good
47%
Excellent
46%

Total votes: 70

Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Send Me No Flowers

Unread post by Jas1 »

While this is my least favourite of the 3 Rock films- i still say the bed scene when Rock and Doris reminice about how they met at a chinese restaurant "won ton soup" is probably the most romantic and beautiful scene they ever did together, the love between them leaps from the screen.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Jas1 --, you have raised a very interesting question about Doris' most romantic scenes in her films , which could inspire a new topic. I love the scene in the back of the cab in Pillow Talk. Doris and Rock appear moonstruck.
Johnny

Tybear2015
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Tybear2015 »

I love this movie. It is very sixties suburbia. To me it is a typical Doris Day, Rock Hudson film. The script may have some flaws but in Doris Day fashion, she did her best. I think the scene where she gets locked out of the house in her robe is very funny. No matter the script Rock and Doris loved working together and that love came through in their on screen performance. Everything I've read says this film did very well at the box office. I wish they could have had the opportunity to make more movies together. I am grateful there are 3 to enjoy.

Tybear

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Oh, yes I love the theme song from Send Me No Flowers. As usual Doris sings it like no one else could.

Tybear

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Tybear, I like the title song, too. I read an interview with composer Burt Bacharach, who said that he and Hal David wrote several songs so that Doris could select the one she preferred. Her musical instincts are so perceptive; she chose a really good one here.

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Musiclover,

She is so talented. Not everybody can sing, act and dance and have such an ear for music to know what a hit a song can and will be. Sounds near perfect to me.

Tybear

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Send Me No Flowers is a fun movie. Just watching Paul Lynd is worth the price of admission. He stole each scene he was in.
Johnny

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

I love this scene in "Send Me No Flowers" and you are correct about "Miss Lynde"!!!
dd_paullynde.jpg

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

The film is funny, wonderful, there are such funny scene that stomach hurts from laughing :lol: :D The title track is one of my favorite songs Doris and composer Burt Bacharach is one of my favorite composers.

"I remember writing with Hal David five different versions of ‘Send Me No Flowers.' Finally they picked the last one -- we kept going because we really wanted her [Doris] on the song. She did it great!" - Burt Bacharach

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Scene shown above is from "Glass Bottom Boat," not "Send Me No Flowers," but it is really a hoot.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

OH!!!! Thanks for mentioning that!! I'll fix it and we'll have two photos to laugh at.
paul_frame.JPG
paul_frame.JPG (34.2 KiB) Viewed 5433 times

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Doris Day -Send Me No Flowers.jpg
Information on DVD Send Me No Flowers

Screen legends Rock Hudson, Doris Day and Tony Randall team up for this irresistible comedy gem from director Norman Jewison (Moonstruck).

When he overhears a doctor discussing the imminent death of a patient, hypochondriac (Hudson) believes the doc is referring to him. Convinced he is living on borrowed time, George enlists the aid of his best friend Arnold (Randall), to find a new husband for his soon- to- be widowed wife Judy (Day).Already alarmed by her husband's increasingly strange behaviour, Judy is even more bewildered when an old flame shows up -and George bends over backwards to encourage his advances!

The third and final on-screen teaming of Rock Hudson and Doris Day, Send Me No Flowers positively sparkles with" top performers in top form"( The Hollywood Reporter).

Includes the original trailer
......................................................................................................................................
The strong supporting cast includes Hal March, the hysterically funny, scene-stealing Paul Lynde, Edward Andrews, Patricia Barry and Clint Walker.

Rock Hudson gives a powerhouse comedic performance. His character is full of good intentions that go off-track. He loves his wife, and tries to protect her. Tony Randall, as usual gives a stellar supporting performance. But the scene that I will never forget is Paul Lynde as funeral director selling plots to Rock Hudson while describing the view. Paul's scene with Doris is equally funny.

It is a pleasure to see Rock and Doris as a married couple in the film. The opening scene at the breakfast table convinces the audience they are really married. The film is a delight to watch.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Send Me No Flowers -1964
Send Me No Flowers -1964
According to David Kaufman's book Universal Studios acquired the rights to Send Me No Flowers in April 1963. Doris Day and Rock Hudson did not become attached to the project until December 1963 and started filming in January 1964. The film was released on October 14th 1964.

In his review in The New York Times Bosley Crowther called it "a beautiful farce situation" and added "Julius Epstein has written it... with noble inventiveness and style. And Norman Jewison has directed it so that it stays within the bounds of good taste, is never cruel or insensitive, and makes something good of every gag."

Variety felt it didn't carry the same voltage, either in laughs or originality as Doris Day and Rock Hudson's previous two films.

Kaufman reported that Rock Hudson right from the start hated the script and resisted playing the character.

Send Me No Flowers grossed $9,129,247 in the U.S.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

In Tom Santopietro's book, Considering Doris Day, there are several interesting criticisms of the film Send Me No Flowers.

By any objective standards, even a simple recitation of the plot reveals that this movie is a mess, the blame for must be laid squarely at the feet of the screenplay by Julius Epstein (Romance On The High Seas). It is a one joke movie based on a second rate Broadway play. Right from the opening salvos, the movie does not play like a fanciful farce but rather reeks of contrivance.

It is not that the Day-Hudson chemistry has disappeared but that there is nothing for them to play.

A second note of blame for the film's many shortcomings must go to the musical score composed by Frank DeVol, DeVol had arranged and conducted Day's brilliant up-tempo Cuttin' Capers L.P. but here his work is third rate and actually harms the movie. This is a sledgehammer heavy "Do you get it"? type of scoring .
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

It is the weakest of the three Day / Hudson / Randall comedies.

I think it’s difficult to accept Rock as a neurotic, high strung hypochondriac. His role would have been a great fit for jittery Tony Randall but not a stalwart matinee idol like Rock Hudson. The film is very stage bound too and the dazzling trio of leading actors was better suited to an urban setting, not the bland cookie cutter suburbs. What the film does have going for it is an ace supporting cast of funny men, the undeniable chemistry between Rock and Doris, and a scene stealing turn by Randall as their cranky next door neighbor.

It’s a pleasant film though and far better than many rom coms from the sixties like For Love Or Money, Goodbye Charlie or A Ticklish Affair.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Musiclover
Special Contributer

I think Doris is particularly brilliant in her first scene and in the one inside the train depot with Rock as well. Always liked seeing her in a Jean Louis wardrobe, too.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Musiclover wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 16:41
I think Doris is particularly brilliant in her first scene and in the one inside the train depot with Rock as well. Always liked seeing her in a Jean Louis wardrobe, too.
I agree, Judy. I also love her battle with the dairy cartons on the front porch. Classic slapstick that proves her natural gift for physical comedy.

Michael
Michael H

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

After Doris performed that great scene outside her front door, director Norman Jewison realized how good DD was at physical comedy, and so he created more opportunities for it in the film.
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I don't agree with Tom Santopietro's view of Send Me No Flowers. I think he's missing the point - as critics often do. What is the point? Well, I don't know but whatever it is, he's missing it.

It's a comedy, not to be taken too seriously. It either appeals to your sense of humour or not, and if you haven't got one, stick to reviewing serious films. As Doris said 'comedy is harder to do than drama'', which is true, even in real life.

Santopietro says "It is a one-joke movie based on a second-rate Broadway play". Now that is just plain bitchy. A contrived sentence designed to make him look like a clever critic as the expense of the film. Rather like David Niven in Please Don't Eat the Daisies when he ditched his principles for a quick laugh having become a big-shot New York theatre critic.

I think Send Me No Flowers is very underrated and might possibly be the best of their three films.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

jmichael
Honorary Member

Oh, kind Webmaster, please sir.... forgive me... a thousand pardons, I beg of you.. ..but if I may .... (treading very gently here for fear of permanent banishment) .... :wink:

I don't think Tom was trying to be bitchy for the sake of being bitchy. I know him (not well but we've met on a few occasions), and he is a soft spoken, kind man. He adores Doris. He told me how cooperative and nice she was when he was researching and writing his book about her.

Kinda fun to see you get your dander-up, Bryan. I am gonna be on GOOD behavior going forward.

But I must say - I emphatically disagree with you about SMNF being the best of the three. :roll:

Running for cover now. Speak of me kindly, please. :wink:

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

From the time we see Doris Day in her first scene in her first film, Romance On The High Seas in 1948, dressed in a gray suit looking in the travel shop window, to the time we see Doris in her last scene in her last film, With Six You Get Eggroll in a white nightgown in the police station, we were never disappointed with her performance.

The films that Doris appeared in that received harsh criticism, Lucky Me, Tunnel of Love, Do Not Disturb, Where Were You When The Lights Went Out had poor scripts, weak direction or ineffective leading men. Doris always brought her best to every one of her films. The satisfying part of going to a Doris Day film was watching Doris Day and marveling at talent.

Lately I have posted some critics' criticisms of Doris Day films to explore their validity with forum members. This forum loves and appreciates Doris as a professional actor and her graceful humanity as a person. No criticism will ever change this feeling. Rarely do critics find fault with Doris' performance it is usually focused on the weak scripts.

I like Send Me No Flowers. I find it charming and pleasant.

I know every viewpoint on this forum has value and differences in opinion challenge our own thinking. The Doris Day Forum is a treasure chest of information, appreciation , and pure joy. Thank you to everyone for making this forum so special. A special thank you must go to Bryan for his creative hard work and dedication in maintaining this wonderful forum.

Thank Bryan for another radiant Doris Day banner. Is this photo one of the ones Peter posted? It is joyous and celebratory.
Johnny

webmaster

Well, Michael, I'll take your word for it that he's a nice kind man - but people used to think that about Ted Bundy, didn't they? Only kidding. :) I haven't read his book so I probably took the comment out of context. But I don't remember David Kaufman making any cheap jibes, I mean negative criticism, in his book.

I know it's not your favourite Doris film but you're allowed to say that as a fan and I have no problem with it but if you made a disparaging comment as a professional writer whatever you say is open to challenge, isn't it? Anyway, I can get a bit cranky at times if something sets me off but normally I'm very even-tempered and philosophical - unless it comes to politics, Brexit in the UK and a certain President whose name I won't mention. Luckily we don't have to think about all the bad stuff in the world on here,

And thank for your comments as always, Johnny, I like the way you accentuate the positive, Eliminate the negative, Latch on to the affirmative, and Don't mess with Mister In-Between, :) I found the banner pic online.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Any "critics" view is so subjective. This critic likes SMNF - but it is my least fav of the 3 with Rock - Pillow Talk [for me] is always number one - for many reasons. :roll:

jmichael
Honorary Member

Bravo to Johnny for making the following statement:

"I know every viewpoint on this forum has value and differences in opinion challenge our own thinking. The Doris Day Forum is a treasure chest of information, appreciation , and pure joy. Thank you to everyone for making this forum so special. A special thank you must go to Bryan for his creative hard work and dedication in maintaining this wonderful forum."

This is so well stated and I agree 100%. I learn more from dissenting opinions than I do from those that align with mine. I admit I rarely change my mind or back down, but I always question myself and take a second look at something I may have overlooked or misinterpreted. Try as we may, we cannot always look at art, politics or people without filtering them with the slings and arrows of our life experiences. Looking at any issue is always richer when we dare to look at it through a different pair of eyes.

If you read Santopietro's entire book, you will find him to be an ardent admirer of Doris' work as an actress and even more so as a singer. He doesn't love every movie she made or extend accolades to every performance, but he lauds her acting (particularly in Pajama Game, TMWTM and LMOLM) and he comments favorably on most of her films. He also considers her to be among the best interpretive singers, someone who knows how to sell a lyric and infuse a melody with an uncanny sense of rhythm and phrasing.

Back to Send Me No Flowers: Santopietro's choice of words could have been nicer and they do come across as harsh, but I believe he was making a valid point about the script not being at the same level as Pillow Talk or Lover Come Back. I agree wholeheartedly with that opinion. Make no mistake - I enjoy the film. It's very pleasant and funny in spots and Doris is a delight. I love the front porch scene when she gives a master class in physical comedy; I crack-up every time I see her walk into the bedroom and smack a sleeping Rock Hudson awake; and I will forever hold the name Delores Yellowstone in my heart thanks to the deft verbal sparring that Doris and Rock deliver at the train station. So for me, the film is a mixed bag but I do like it - just not nearly as much as PT or LCB.

Bryan, you do amazing work here and I appreciate the level of professionalism and restraint you provide. Your steady leadership has kept this beloved forum afloat for many years and I salute you.

Cheers y'all!
Michael
Michael H

webmaster

If you read Santopietro's entire book, you will find him to be an ardent admirer of Doris' work as an actress and even more so as a singer. He doesn't love every movie she made or extend accolades to every performance, but he lauds her acting (particularly in Pajama Game, TMWTM and LMOLM) and he comments favorably on most of her films. He also considers her to be among the best interpretive singers, someone who knows how to sell a lyric and infuse a melody with an uncanny sense of rhythm and phrasing.
Yes, I'm sure that's true, Michael and upon reflection, I think I've been a bit unfair to him and focused too much on that one sentence, now that I've had time to think about it. It's hard to admit you are in the wrong sometimes but I'm holding my hand up, and thank you for challenging me on it and providing me with a nice slice of humble pie. :)

I appreciate your final paragraph - thank you very much.