Send Me No Flowers

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Send Me No Flowers"?

Poor
1%
Average
6%
Good
47%
Excellent
46%

Total votes: 70

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Re: Send Me No Flowers

Unread post by littlepinetree »

I rated this an excellent! I guess I like dark comedy! This movie was a blast!
Loved all of the cast.
People here are right when said Doris looked great in this movie, and her hair looked beautiful. I loved her hair in this movie too. In old movies, ofter hair styles are overly done, and not very natural. She looked natural, and her hair had a beautiful wave. Beautiful lady, that Doris Day!

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Unread post by ellenarden »

kapplehoff wrote:ALTHOUGH I LOVED PILLOW TALK AND LOVER COME BACK I THINK SEND ME NO FLOWERS IS THE MOST FUNNIEST OF THE THREE.
I totally agree.

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

I just watched this one today, and I loved it!! It was really funny. I agree that it was mostly Rock and Tony's movie though, and I didn't like the fact that Doris seemed like 3rd best. However, the parts that Doris was in were great!! I loved the scene with the Chinese "pickup," it seemed really natural. And I loved the part when Rock confessed to his supposed affair and giving Dolores Yellowstone 1000 dollars, and Doris said something about him nagging her about the price of Virginia Ham....that was really funny. And the ending was cute. Oh, and who could forget Paul Lynde! He was hilarious as the cemetery plot salesman. Anyways, I loved it. :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by ray »

I too enjoyed that dance dream scene with Vito! I also miss Ralph very much!

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Paul Lynde has always been one of my favorite comics! I had a blast watching this movie!! :D

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Just watched this movie for the first time in ages and it is so cute. Tony plays his part to perfection. Tony should have gotten an award for his performance. Doris and Rock seem so married. Great movie.
littlepinetree wrote:Paul Lynde has always been one of my favorite comics! I had a blast watching this movie!! :D
Paul was indeed great in his role as well. What a funny guy, I just loved him.
suzie

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle »

A couple of screengrabs...

Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

There great! Is it just me or does Doris wear a lot of blue in her movies? Probably to match her eyes. :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

I love the pictures! And you're right, she does wear a lot of blue. :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Send Me No Flowers is a bright, very funny and polished film.

Audiences today are more sophisticated and get the dark humour. I believe it was ahead of its' time. Think about the brilliant and hilarious Harold and Maude in 1972.

I do remember leaving the theater with my family after watching this film ane my father remarking, " Everyone feels better after seeing a Doris Day movie espeically this one." Doris' work in films regardless of the film as a whole is aways genuine and heartfelt. She has always known how to connect with the audience and create good memories. This is the magic of Doris Day.

Johnny
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

"Send Me No Flowers" is very underrated - except here! - so I was pleased to find the following comments about it:

SEND ME NO FLOWERS, Nocita August 14, 2010 at 6:22 pm

"After directing Doris Day in 1963′s still-hilarious "The Thrill of It All", Norman Jewison showed similar comic sensibilities with this screwball 1964 marital farce complemented by a sharp screenplay by longtime veteran Julius Epstein. This one represents something of a departure in that Day and Rock Hudson, in their third and last pairing, play a married couple from the outset. As George and Judy Kimball, they are a happily married suburban couple hamstrung by his persistent hypochondria. Convinced that he is dying after a regular check-up, George spends the rest of the story preparing for what he thinks will be his imminent death, including setting up Judy with her next husband, a former suitor whom they literally run into at their country club.

Unlike the previous two films, Hudson actually dominates this movie, and he is in peak comic form with a dryly funny turn as George. With her glamour minimized in favor of her homespun likeability, Day is relegated to the role of the confused wife here, though she has funny moments along the way. Randall steals practically all his scenes as devoted neighbor Arnold constantly in a drunken stupor in his premature bereavement over George’s departure, and Paul Lynde has a riotous scene as an overzealous memorial park director. This one may lack the will-she-won’t-she dilemma of the first two films, 1959′s Pillow Talk and 1961′s Lover Come Back and is usually dismissed as a domestic comedy, but I think the set-up is genuinely clever and the laughs well-earned. The only extra on the 2003 DVD is the original theatrical trailer. For those interested in all three films, your best bet is to purchase the bargain-priced Doris Day and Rock Hudson Comedy Collection.

DelTiempo August 14, 2010 at 7:07 pm
I love Doris Day movies and this is one of the best. You can’t beat the Doris Day, Rock Hudson, and Tony Randall trio.

Joplin August 14, 2010 at 8:16 pm
This is one of their best films together. I love it when she slaps him in the face and tells him he must be dreaming. Great fun for the whole family.

Hayashi August 14, 2010 at 8:57 pm
I’ve enjoyed Doris Day comedies since I was a kid. With DVDs one can watch a favorite whenever the mood strikes. I have to say that I much prefer “Pillow Talk” and “Lover Come Back” to this one. Not as funny to me. That said, it was an enjoyable romp, fluffy like a “Three Museketeers” bar!
http://fast-flowers-delivery.net/Austin ... guideline/
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

This is a good review!!can anyone tell me if this from Send me no flowers?
dORINE
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

Yes, it is - note the hair style and the clothes from the scene in the film.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Wasn't it in one of the books - or some article- that they filmed several scenes for this film where Rock dreams about what Doris gets up to when his character is deceased? One scene involved Doris' character in a very glamorous evening gown etc- wouldn't it be great if such gems were found?

webmaster

Yes,that would be great!!!! 8)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I suppose there are several reasons why this my least favourite of the Rock/Doris trio (although I still like it very much):- I think they are better suited in the city (not the suburbs) and the film is really Rock's film - I'd like to see a bit more of D Day!

Would have loved to have seen Hudson & Day in a remake of Adams Rib as sparring lawyers/ husband and wife - one defending the one prosecuting - in the same case - Adams Rib is my favourite Hepburn and Tracy film.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Se, and so I think the best in koemdiach from those years is unpretentiousness. And that in these films there is no sex at all, no events, drugs, violence, profanity., or the tangled story striving for originality. This comedy is piąkna because is simple, nice, fun, and it has no ounce of drama ... lovely:) Is sometimes nice to see something so light, and of the wonderful atmosphere of those years ... I love these movies, simply! and the technicolor, '60s in American cinema, this is it! :D Duet Doris Day Rock Hudson simply rocks! :!: Tony Randall.jak always great, I was laughing to tears :!: :D And of course, this fantastic song sung by Doris angelically, one of my favorite songs in her performance :D Burt Bacharach is a phenomenal composer, his songs are timeless, I love this atmosphere :D
"I remember writing with Hal David five different versions of ‘Send Me No Flowers.' Finally they picked the last one -- we kept going because we really wanted her [Doris] on the song. She did it great!" - Burt Bacharach
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Send Me No Flowers is a very funny film ahead of it's time. The entire cast is great and it is Doris' wonderful comedic talent that makes Rock, Tony and Paul look so great in this film. I remember with great fondness the laughter we shared as a family while watching this film at a drive-in. It prompted hilarious conversation about what we would do in a similar situation. I will always treasure the memory of seeing this film and the happy feelings watching the beautiful Doris, and charming Rock.

Johnny
Johnny

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

ImageImageImageImage
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

kimster

Unread post by kimster »

I enjoyed this film so very much. Not only because of Doris as always. LOL

I loved the relationship between Rock Hudson and Tony Randall. "Keep it up buddy, you will have the shortest euolgy in history." LOL

I thought Rock was very funny. It is obvious that Doris and him really liked each other. That's what made these films so great.

I liked it when Doris dressed in a very sexy nightgown and slapped Rock.

DorisIsTerrific

Unread post by DorisIsTerrific »

I rated excellent another great picture with Doris and Rock.

webmaster

"Send Me No Flowers" is available to watch or download from YouTube - click on YouTube button to go to the site.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Here's another one that I caught again on TCM yesterday. Hadn't seen it in a long while and it held up much better than I had anticipated. True, Doris is somewhat relegated to the confused wife role and Judy Kimball is a far cry from the glamorous career women of PT and LCB, but her chemistry with Rock was unmistakable and they were endearing in their scenes together. Tony Randall was, as usual, hilarious as Arnold and veteran scene stealers like Paul Lynde and Edward Andrews were terrific in their supporting roles. SMNF may not be on the same level as PT or LCB, but it was a worthy bookend to the Day / Hudson / Randall film trilogy.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Says it does not exist!!

Lauren

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Watched "Send Me No Flowers" again recently and was reminded that Hal March, whose character was the attorney Winston Burr in that film, had a radio program with Bob Sweeney in L.A. on which Doris was the vocalist for several episodes in the fall of 1946.