Jumbo

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Jumbo"?

Poor
3%
Average
8%
Good
39%
Excellent
49%

Total votes: 61

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 17 Aug 2007, 20:31

How very interesting ! Thanks for sharing that. I love any historical information. With all of those employees - no wonder they couldn't make a profit. And how do you use a space like that ?

That was a terribly sad picture of Jumbo dying ! Kind of made me tear up !
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Jumbo

Unread post by webmaster » 18 Aug 2007, 06:28

Poor Jumbo. :( Alter all of Doris' efforts too!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 10 Sep 2007, 09:49

I hope you like this one.
The last ones came from a Japenese movie magazine.

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila » 29 Sep 2007, 14:44

I finally got around to watching Jumbo. Ahh…wasn’t Jumbo cute and so clever. Never really thought of an elephant in that way before, oh except for Dumbo that is. Doris wasn’t bad either! Loved the songs. I rated the film as good, it was a colourful entertaining film and Doris was wonderful as she always is! :lol:

webmaster

Jumbo

Unread post by webmaster » 30 Sep 2007, 10:09

Glad you finally got to see it, Sheila. I think it's the sort of film that grows on you and you can watch it many times over and just enjoy the music.

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila » 30 Sep 2007, 15:08

Yes Bryan, I definitely think it will be one of those films that comes out of the box more than once or twice.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell » 07 Jan 2008, 20:36

Jumbo was one of the few films - and the one DD film - I watched over
the holidays - and I'm sure glad I picked it! Took me back to the days
when I was very little and went to the circus at my village with my
grandma and cousins; I dislike circuses now but, boy, did I love every
minute of it back then. It seemed so incredible, almost unreal.

Apart from bringing back memories, I loved the movie for the songs, the
costumes, the numbers. I very much enjoyed Jimmy Durante and
Martha Raye too... very funny. I found Doris (loved the long
hair) and Ste-phen Boyd incredible together. The ending slightly
bored me but I loved just about everything else.

"My romance" should be one of the most romantic scenes ever to
be filmed, I just loved it and have played it more than a dozen times. It
was set, performed and directed heavenly. Doris was lovely, Ste-
phen Boyd - (call me terribly watchful but...) it's something about his
hands, look at the way he's hugging her, melts me every time - was
irresistible, the chemistry was there and the singing was fantastic. What
more can you ask for!

Another noticable thing is the very successful use of the stuntmen-
women. Great editing and those long distance shots of the stuntmen were
spot on - you can hardly tell when it goes from Doris to the stunt woman
and vice versa.

Great pics posted on here, as always. Oh, and, it just won'taccept "Ste-
phen", it turns out as "phen" - is that among the filtered words, Bryan?
Anyway, that's why I used the dash.

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila » 08 Jan 2008, 04:50

A great review of the film Miss Maxwell. :)

Bryan, the new look...hmmm let's just say, that I have seen you look far more attractive!! :wink:

daybyday08
Honorary Member

jumbo!

Unread post by daybyday08 » 11 May 2008, 00:12

BILLY ROSE'S JUMBOOOO!
I loved this film so much!
I wasn't rushing on seeing it because
im not a huge circus fan but it was great!
I love animals so it was perfect for me.
It was really neat to see Doris on that horse
with all those tricks should try it on my horse
someday :lol: i probably won't make it half way
standing up let alone ride standing up.
My favorite film is Pillow Talk but i think this
may be my second. I liked Doris's long hair too
very pretty and long. I can't seem to get that song
the MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IN THE WORLD out of my
head. It is a great song though. The movie was the best!
Dominique.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 12 May 2008, 11:52

I didn't really want to watch this one.. but made myself so I could discuss it in the movie discussion.. and I liked it.. I don't know why I thought I wouldn't.. but I did like it.. I loved everytime Doris started to sing.. and at the end, when Stephen is trying to apologize to Doris.. I almost started crying with her...

off subject for a second.. I'm listening to Love Somebody.. and there's a spot... the 4th time the chorus is sung, Doris sings it, then Buddy, then Both, the Both again.. near the end of the chorus.. one of them sings But I won't tell who, and the other says But I won't say who... somebody listen to this.. and tell me if they hear it too...

anyway.. did Doris have a stunt double??? GREAT MOVIE!!!!!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Re: Jumbo

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 17 Jun 2008, 05:43

Hi there,

Through google alert I recived this site:
http://www.bnd.com/homepage/story/372084.html

Shortly into her second tour with circuses, she was recruited for another movie appearance. In "Jumbo," a 1962 film about a circus elephant that features Doris Day and Jimmy Durante, Day tosses a large ball to the feet of Miss Loni, who begins spinning it. Miss Loni replies: "Thank you, Kitty!"

"I saw her on a daily basis on the lot," Miss Loni said. "She would come to the lot with no make-up. She was very down-to-earth."

Peter

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 06 Apr 2009, 14:42

I do love this movie, she has really a touch with animals, do love the pink dress.

http://i39.tinypic.com/33lzhfr.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i43.tinypic.com/fu2gcp.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 29 Oct 2009, 23:18

An experiment.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlegoldfish666 » 07 Feb 2010, 14:07

Saw this movie last night and I quite enjoyed it. I never in a million years thought I'd say this about an Elephant but wasn't Jumbo so cute :oops: Oh and Doris was okay too :P hehe jk. She was as awesome as always :D She does hurt so well.

I don't really like circuses, I never have but I did like this movie. I love animals so that helped :D

Jan Morrow

Unread post by Jan Morrow » 11 Feb 2010, 18:49

I LOVE this movie! Doris is gorgeous in it, so funny and I love seeing her interact with animals. I say: she is the mother of all animals - especially doggies of course!
I love the songs especially OVER AND OVER AGAIN and THIS CAN"T BE LOVE - they make me HAPPY :D .
It's definitely one of my favorite musicals.
Jan

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan » 17 Aug 2010, 20:56

This was Doris' final musical and a rather good one - considering that it was released in 1962 and was among the final efforts of MGM in the musical genre - one that they ruled for a long time.
It is not a perfect movie. It does drag in spots----the dialogue could have used a bit more tightening. They should have picked up the tempo and give it a bit more energy. For instance - after that wonderfully exhuberant performance by Doris and the circus troop on the OVER AND OVER sequence-----there is a strange pause before the dialogue resumes----the screenplay writer - I believe it was Sidney Sheldon - could have done a better job in achieving a better flow----none of this of course pertains to Doris or her co-stars.
Apparently MGM was cutting back drastically on the budget--------the production did not look especially elaborate......I agree with the person in this forum regarding the Parade sequence-------the back lot set did not look entirely convincing. Seems as it was done 'on the cheap' !
The costumes however were excellent-------Doris looked marvelous in them and so did Martha Raye. In fact, Doris looked extremely youthful throughout---she handled her role with just the right touch of warmth, sentimentality, sincerity, and there was a radiant glow throughout her entire performance. It was quite a departure from the other roles she was doing at that time--------so this film is a testiment to her versatility. Then there was the singing-------peerless ! She was in excellent voice and sang all her songs with panache and beautiful tone. She contrasted vocally very well---i.e. each particular song in the film was given its own character and there was a variety of inflections.
I thought Stephen Boyd was good but a bit stiff at times. Should have smiled a bit more. His singing voice BTW was dubbed. I had thought at first that he did his own singing but then noticed that the timbers between the speaking voice and the singing did not match.
Raye & Durante ! Always fun to see and hear.
The orchestral arrangements were magnificent. They spent more $$$$$ on the music than on the sets. The musical scoring should have at least been given an OSCAR.
For me - there is an autumnal glow about this film-----sort of a 'sunset' quality. I can tell by watching it that it is indeed the 'end of an era'---------its a fun film in parts but I also sense somewhat of a melancholia. Whether its by design or by accident - it is hard to say. The movie musical is fading by this time and the book is being closed---usually (though not always !) movie musicals were often life-affirming entertainments with a sort of 'onward and forward' philosophy always at their core. JUMBO - to me at least - is telling me that the musical writing is on the wall.
I can see in retrospect why this film did not do well. It probably got lost in the shuffle of other more popular Doris movies by this time and audiences turned their backs on musicals in the cinema. Just two years prior to JUMBO - MGM produced BELLS ARE RINGING with Judy Holliday & Dean Martin - and that film did not do well at all !

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 18 Aug 2010, 04:35

Loved Jumbo.I used to have a giant poster of Doris in her pink outfit.
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 18 Aug 2010, 10:35

TCM Fan - Actually "Jumbo" was one of the most expensive MGM films produced during that time period and like a number of other Doris Day films, came in under budget and under schedule. Joe Pasternak the producer (he also produced "Love Me or Leave Me" and "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" as well as dozens of other hit musicals going back to his days at Universal and the classic Deanna Durbin films he made), swore that Doris Day was the most professional actress he ever worked with. "She knew her lines perfectly as well as everyone elses. She was always prepared, never caused any problems although she was overly concerned about the way she looked, never thinking she looked good enough. She did and that is part of the reason she was such a success. There was no ego or sense of how great she was. She was disarmingly modest and one of the most natural beauties I have ever encountered...." Mr. Pasternak stated this to me in a recorded interview I did with him at the Masquers Club in Los Angeles in the summer of 1979. Even as he pushed 80 and dealt with serious health problems, his eyes lit up when he talked about Doris.
In the 90's I worked with Sydney Guilaroff on his autobiography. He had worked with Miss Day on "Jumbo" and other films at MGM where he was a mainstay for almost 50 years. He shared the same sentiments and also talked about "Jumbo" and what a joyous experience it had been. While shooting the picture everyone was convinced it was going to be a blockbuster. Sydney talked about what a happy set it was and how much Doris loved working again with Charles Walters the director.
Through the years there have been many reasons given for the film's lack of success. Some have said it was because musicals were not big at the time and yet in a one year period (late 1961 to late 1962) there were three enormously popular musicals released ("West Side Story", "The Music Man" and "Gypsy"). Most experts feel the reason for "Jumbo's" failure was because it was dated. It was nearly 30 years old whereas "West Side", "Gypsy" and "Music Man" had all been Broadway successes within five years of their being turned into films. There were still relevant names and their songs were still being played and performed. Unfortunately at that time, the Rodgers and Hart classics which Doris and company (including Boyd's voice double) sang so perfectly, were not new or being heard often.
I saw it in the theatre as a ten year old child and loved every moment of it as did the sold-out theatre I sat in. Unfortunately in too many towns and cities, it opened big and fell off quickly.
Some assumed incorrectly that it was because filmgoers didn't want to see Doris Day in anything but comedies but I think had she done a more recent musical ("Sound of Music", "Molly Brown") it would have been a huge hit that would have rivaled her comedy hits.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 18 Aug 2010, 11:21

Thanks Paul (as always) for this wealth of information.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin » 18 Aug 2010, 11:39

Yes, I agree. Thanks, Paul, for your accurate and factual contributions. We are fortunate to have always had you on the forum to set things straight....or merrily forward.

Lauren

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 18 Aug 2010, 11:55

Thanks James and Lauren!!!

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 18 Aug 2010, 12:36

With comment,sorry,Doris taking a break during filming on the set of Jumbo.
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 18 Aug 2010, 12:38

pretty in pink and oh so elegant.
Dorine

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 18 Aug 2010, 12:50

and oh so fit!!
Dorine

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan » 18 Aug 2010, 12:51

Thanks Paul for the info !
I did not know much about this film even though I like it a great deal.