By the Light of the Silvery Moon

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "By the Light of the Silvery Moon"?

Poor
No votes
Average
10%
Good
27%
Excellent
63%

Total votes: 60

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Unread post by suzie »

Okay, thank you marion. :wink:
suzie

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Hmmm...... I just saw that so many of you voted this one excellent - so maybe I need to write my comments a little smaller .... I watched this with Marion yesterday and thought it wasn't so good ...have to say I was a bit bored ... I definitely liked the first one ON MOONLIGHT BAY better - okay it had some cute scenes ... Doris was cute ... Mary Wickes was great - although I also liked her better in the first one. I voted it avarage 'cause no movie with Doris in it could be really poor right? But then ... all I can say is TO EACH HIS OWN!!! :mrgreen:

daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I have to agree , I thought this movie was just okay. I was really looking forward to seeing it because I loved On Moonlight Bay but it just wasn't as exciting. I did love the Little Bubble Bee song that was a funny part!! The end was nice though when everyone is skating.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

I very much enjoyed this movie! I like it as much as "On Moonlight Bay!"
I wish I would have seen the two movies back to back.
I rated this an excellent! :D

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

kapplehoff wrote: I THINK THE STORYLINE ON OMB WAS A TOUCH BETTER THAN BTLOTSM BUT I THINK THE SONGS IN BTLOTSM WERE A LITTLE BETTER. WHAT MAKES IT EVEN MORE SPECIAL WAS THAT DORIS ENJOYED MAKING THEM. LOVE THEM.
I completely agree. I love these movies...they are magical. :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Re:

Unread post by chele_belle »

BabeWilliams wrote:WOW I loved this movie!!! I really with they would have made a 3rd though... I mean they kind of left it hanging for me. Do they get married? What happens after that? I like movies that go beyond the happy ending, so most movies never really satisfy me. Oh well, I rated this one excellent!
I often wonder what happened to Marjorie and Bill too. lol
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Just watching this on afternoon TV - pure joy! :)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Re: love it!

Unread post by Doris Martin »

howard wrote:I love this one! This was the period when I fell in love with DD! The voice, the smile, the energy .... wow-woweee! And she and Gordon Macrae had lovely chemistry between them. What an ideal pair they made! The songs were lovely, and the film was absolutely charming! That's the word for it ... charming!
My very thoughts... thank you

RoseOfWindyCity

Unread post by RoseOfWindyCity »

No, cleanliness of these films never existed - unfortunately! I remember my mother telling about people in her village from 1930´s to 1950´s , and the life was not at all like in these movies. Too bad! :wink:
Rose of Windy City

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

luckyme123
Forum Friend

Unread post by luckyme123 »

THIS MOVIE WAS GREAT, LOVE DORIS WITH GORDON HIS TENOR VOICE,WITH HER MAGIC VOICE WAS BEAUTIFUL . LOVED BOTH MOVIES THEY MADE. I LIKED WHEN THEY WERE ON THE PORCH SINGING SILENT NIGHT NEVER HEARD IT SOUND SO WONDERFUL. LOVE BOTH OF THEM,ALL HER LEADING MEN WERE OUT STANDING.DORIS NEVER STOP LOVING YOU.GOD KEEP YOU IN PERFECT PEACE,AND HEALTH. HAPPY HOLIDAYS. TO WEBMASTER AND FORUM MEMBERS.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

By The Light of The Silvery Moon was on TCM yesterday. It still evokes such warm feelings. My cousin said she remembered how she felt leaving this movie when it was shown at the Biltmore theater. She remembered feeling so happy and being excited about telling her family about the great movie.

These nostaligic warm feeling have lasted with the audience all these years later. I particularly enjoyed Billy's Grey's performance as Wesley pretending to be Fearless Flanningan, badge 79 and his vivid imagination. His efforts in saving Gregory, the Thanksgiving turkey, were wonderful and really memorable.

This film is a treasure.
Johnny

webmaster

Too true, Johnny. I couldn't have put it better myself, The whole cast 'made the film' - they don't make 'em like that any more - but thank goodness they did! :D

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

It occured to me that By The Light of The Silvery Moon would be a perfect Thanksgiving holiday film since Wesley championed the life of the turkey, Gregory. Mary Wickes wry reactions to the lively dinner is priceless and really funny.

The music is joyous. Ain't We Got Fun and Be My Baby Bumble Bee keep the mood high . Your Eyes Have Told Me So is heartfelt.

A special note, Russel Arms who played Chester Findley - he really added so much humour in bringing out Doris, Marjorie.

Even in this early film in her career, we Doris' character working on repairing a car. This is quite the statement for a woman in the 1917 era.

By The Light of The Silvery Moon is a really good time for everyone.
Johnny

webmaster

Couldn't agree more Johnny! :) Ditto your comments about On Moonlight Bay.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Merv Griffin had a very small role in this or Moonlight Bay? When Doris did her first TV talk show appearance 1970 they showed a clip on Merv at the skating ring with a blow horm with only a few lines. Doris and Merv had laughs on his talk show that night, Doris wore little makeup and her hair pulled back and looked wonderful as always,

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

There are so many joyful moments in By The Light Of The Silvery Moon from the moment we see Mary Wick's charater, Stella introduce the Winfield family members. When she says, ""This is Wesley, the Winfield's second child, if he had been the first, there would not have been a second. The audience knows they are going to have a good time.

Doris sings one of her most beautiful and heartfelt songs, I'll Forget You. This film is filled with charm, heart, and good feelings.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I love the descriptions of Doris' films on the DVD covers and I believe many of them were used in the original movie posters.

DVD Front Cover:

-Warners Bros
Wonderfully warm-hearted crooin' and spooin'
Musical Delight
They're wooin' and dooin' the things boys and girls like to do

DVD Back Cover:

Relive the good old days -with Day and MacRay!

The stars came out when the night shimmers like this! Young lovers, Doris Day and Gordon MacRay return in a moonlit sequel to On Moonlight Bay Rosemary DeCamp, Mary Wickes and Billy Gray rejoin them in this remembrance of World War 1 era of Americana. There's a new array of nine nostalgic standards -and a new emphasis on production numbers. Doris and Gordon spin through the Winfield kitchen to Ain't We Got Fun. Doris crows Chanticleer at a stage pageant and the whole town heads to Miller's Pond and laces up their ice skates for the title-tune finale. Like it's predecessor this draws from Booth Tarkington's Penrod stories for it's portraits of heartland mirth, values and warm- hearts, cold- feet romance. Ain't We Got Fun,
you bet we have!

Special Features:

Vintage Joe Mc Doakes comedy shorts So You Want To Learn To Dance and So You Want A Television Set.

Oscar nominated cartoon -From A To Z-Z-Z-Z

Theatrical Trailer

This is a wonderful film to brighten a dull day. It is so full of charm and good humour. Children love watching it and laugh right along with Doris Day fans.
Johnny

webmaster

"The movie is a spun-sugar musical, prettily pink to go with the season of bunnies, lilies and new bonnets, generous-looking in Technicolor. The blonde and energetic Miss Day is at her best when she winds up for a song, and she certainly does justice to the musical material in between the romantic tiffs which are her role in this movie." - New York Herald Tribune

"As harmless as tiddly winks and as gay as its Technicolor lensing, this Doris Day-Gordon MacRae starrer continues the small town Americana pattern established in On Moonlight Bay. Lots of fun, with a spoof and a song evident in David Butler’s directing." - Screenland

http://www.dorisday.net/by-the-light-of ... very-moon/

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Doris made the following quote in 2006 about By The Light of The Silvery Moon and On Moonlight Bay.

"I loved making those films. You know, if life could be like it was in those movies, it would be beautiful wouldn't it?".

The humour, charm, sentiment and love in those films are timeless which makes them so enjoyable to watch again and again.
By The Light of The Silvery Moon
By The Light of The Silvery Moon
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

In a Turner Classic Movie article on Doris' film By The Light of the Silvery Moon, Doris is quoted as saying about this film, "I really like the old songs and the good old times these films captured. Everything was sweet. I really wish I lived them". Day professed a warm affection for the making of both moon films themselves. Doris said, " We made them back to back and became a real family".

Historian Tom Santopietro has noted, "even in these Warner Bros. light hearted musicals, Doris Day resisted any tendency toward feminine passivity" -- even if this just came out in comic scenes. Her character's self - sufficiency, for instance is shown in Silvery Moon, in a humorous moment where she fixes a car while wearing her ball gown.

By The Light of The Silvery Moon was filmed from August to early October 1952 and released on May 2-1953.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

In Alan Gelb's book, The Doris Day Scrapbook, he writes about By The Light of The Silvery Moon:

"A follow-up to the hugely popular On Moonlight Bay, it was go-round number two of Booth Tarkington's Penrod stories and it was called By The Light of The Silvery Moon. Actually, it was probably better than its predecessor, for its director, David Butler, was somewhat more competent than Roy Del Ruth, and its choreographer, Donald Saddler (who would later do the Broadway smash revival of No, No, Nanette) was several flights above the hopelessly mediocre Le Roy Prinz. The cast remained the same as in the earlier movie: Doris as Marjorie Winfield, Gordon MacRae as her man, Leon Ames as the father, Rosemary De Camp as the mother, Billy Gray as Penrod, and Mary Wickes as the antic maid.....

There are some nice numbers in the film, inventively staged by Saddler. A scene in which Doris, Gordon, and Mary Wickes are involved with housekeeping becomes a lively jig to "Ain't We Got Fun?" There are some duets between Doris and Gordon ("Your Eyes Have Told Me So"), and ("If You Were The Only Girl In The World") and Doris has a big dance number with "Chanticleer". Like On Moonlight Bay, By The Light of The Silvery Moon did very well at the box office. Indeed, if it was not a terrific piece of cinema, it was if nothing else, money in the bank. With her next movie, however, Doris would take a giant step forward and would establish herself as a musical star who was not simply a commodity but a great and special presence as well. The movie was Calamity Jane, and it ushered in a new and exciting period for Doris Day."

By The Light of The Silvery Moon is a timeless joyous musical comedy that both adult and children can enjoy. Everyone in the cast sparkles and creates a happy film experience.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Article from TCM on By The Light of The Silvery Moon:

Doris Day commented in her memoir ,Doris Day, Her Own Story with A. E. Hotchner that musicals like, By The Light of The Silvery Moon established her image of wholesomeness and said, "As actors we put ourselves into the guise of a role we are called to play, and we perform it as honestly as possible ; but we have no control over whatever the result of that acting projects upon the audience-- if we did try to exercise this kind of control, the result, I am sure would be artificial. I never think about what the public expects of me; I am only concerned with what I expect of myself".

"By the Light of the Silvery Moon had a smooth shoot and came in a day ahead of schedule. The picture was received warmly by audiences and critics alike, with Variety calling it, "excellent entertainment", and praising the music, direction, dialogue, production values and colour photography. The New York Times was positive if a bit less effusive, describing it as a ,"Technicolour memento of small - time life
at the end of WW1 -- at least, as it rises in the memories of certain gentlemen in Hollywood".
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I came across this quote from Doris Day on the passing of Gordon MacRae:

"His voice was magnificent, and no one sang like him. We had so much fun when we made films together, and our favourites were On Moonlight Bay and By The Light of the Silvery Moon.."

I came across these two interesting quotes from actor Colin Firth on Doris Day:

"I seriously suffered at the age of 10 over Doris Day. I loved her in By the Light of the Silvery Moon. She looked so completely in love and had that wholesome quality."

"I did have a sleepless night over Doris Day when I was eight and By the Light of the Silvery Moon was on TV.She had that pure quality but she always seemed within an inch of giving in to being absolutely, um, ah..."
Johnny