Lucky Me

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Lucky Me"?

Poor
4%
Average
35%
Good
39%
Excellent
23%

Total votes: 57

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Watch What You Record

Unread post by Ralph »

It's important to protect work that will forever be judged. Doris Day, Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland knew that. Film is forever.

I look at the young singers today who are recording all this junk. Two young ladies that I think are great are Fantasia Barrino, an American Idol winner and Jennifer Hudson of "Dreamgirls."

Fantasia has been convinced by Clive Davis to sing hip/hop type songs on her albums. Wrong choice! In 25 or 30 years, will anybody want to hear these mediocre tunes or want to cover them? I think not. Most of it is inter-changeable.

Look at Aretha Franklin. She has a vast discography and has recorded songs that are now standards. Each week on American Idol, you hear her songs, Motown and the greatest of rock music. Nobody is covering hip/hop or hard rock. Motown artists recorded some great music and it still lives today -- over 40 years later.

My message to Jennifer and Fantasia: watch what you record. Picture 30 years from today when you look back at your work. Will anybody care?

Doris Day can look back at a spectacular catalog: jazz, pop, show tunes, ballads, movie music and regretfully, novelty stuff. Streisand can look back proudly as could Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Well, amen to that !
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Review of Day Collection

Unread post by Ralph »

Recent Classic Releases from Warner Bros.

As usual, Warner Bros. has been particularly prolific. The Doris Day Collection: Volume 2 collects together six WB films from the 1948-1955 period including Day's debut in Romance on the High Seas (1948). The other films are: My Dream Is Yours (1949), I'll See You in My Dreams (1951), On Moonlight Bay (1951), By the Light of the Silvery Moon (1952), and Lucky Me (1955).

All are in colour except I'll See You in My Dreams. Doris Day fans will be very happy with this new set and even non-Day enthusiasts should appreciate the entertainment value of most of the films, particularly Romance on the High Seas, My Dream Is Yours, and the complementary titles On Moonlight Bay and By the Light of the Silvery Moon. I'll See You in My Dreams (a biography of lyricist Sammy Cahn) and particularly Lucky Me (in CinemaScope but also Day's last film while under contract to Warners) are the two lesser titles. All the titles have received new digital transfers and look quite good. The four earliest colour films fair best, exhibiting vibrant colour (accurate-looking for the most part), minor film grain, and but minimal mis-registration occurrences (Ultra Resolution was not applied to any of these films). The B&W I'll See You in My Dreams is characterized by very good contrast and a crisp image, while Lucky Me (2.5:1 anamorphic) looks faded at times and sports inconsistent flesh tones. The audio on all titles is in good shape with but minor hiss intruding. Lucky Me offers a new DD 5.1 track that delivers good directional effects across the front. All titles feature Warners' typically fine set of extras including at least one vintage short, a classic cartoon, and the theatrical trailer. Recommended.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

"I'll See You in My Dreams' (a biography of lyricist Sammy Cahn) and particularly 'Lucky Me' (in CinemaScope but also Day's last film while under contract to Warners) are the two lesser titles."

I'm tired of seeing "I'll See You In My Dreams" referred to as a lesser title. It's one of my very favorites.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Young at Hear, Not Lucky Me

Unread post by Ralph »

howard wrote:"I'll See You in My Dreams' (a biography of lyricist Sammy Cahn) and particularly 'Lucky Me' (in CinemaScope but also Day's last film while under contract to Warners) are the two lesser titles."

I'm tired of seeing "I'll See You In My Dreams" referred to as a lesser title. It's one of my very favorites.
Also, wasn't "Young at Heart" Doris Day's last picture obligation for Warner Brothers?

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

I couldn't agree more more, Howard - and Doris' singing is so 'dreamy' too. Ditto "Lucky Me", which I love, it's just so Hollywood, so much fun, so Doris!

Poor Doris was tired out and needing a holiday at the time but I loved the way it all fell together. "Love You Dearly" is such a sweet song and it was so funny when Phil Silvers and Co do a routine before Doris sings it. But I mustn't start mentioning things I like about it as I could go on and on...

webmaster

Re: "Also, wasn't "Young at Heart" Doris Day's last picture obligation for Warner Brothers?"

I think it was "Lucky Me" and she came back in a separate deal.

webmaster

Just looking at that clip from "Lucky Me", I was struck by how much confidence Doris had - it can't be easy to perform like that in front of so many people.

I think, after Calamity Jane, she knew she was a star and that gave her the confidence and ability to turn in a good performance even in a film she didn't want to do. At the same time I can understand her frustration having to do a 'lesser musical', even tho I love it, than and after Calamity Jane.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I really enjoy the musical numbers in "Lucky Me." The story, however, is really lame! But who cares? It's Doris ... singin' and dancin' ... "Love You Dearly" is a beaut of a ballad, and how can you go wrong with that stellar supporting cast.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Unread post by Ralph »

Bryan wrote; "Wasn't "Young at Heart" Doris Day's last picture obligation for Warner Brothers?
I think it was "Lucky Me" and she came back in a separate deal."

Check her book. "Young at Heart" finished out her contract in 1954. She retuned to WB in 1957 when they dangled "Pajama Game" in front of her face like a piece of bacon. She bit. Funny, after MGM starred her in a grand musical, WB finally respected her with a bonified Broadway hit. :twisted:

webmaster

I stand corrected. :(

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Interesting photos - Doris is signing a billboard advertising the movie.

I had seen this one on Corbis.

Just saw this one on ebay. She's standing beside the word way.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

bryan wrote:
This picture looks nothing like DD... Anyway I saw this movie yesterday and I really enjoyed it despite the very weak story line. But Doris' star power shined through despite her not really wanting to do this movie... I rated it excellent...
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell »

Babe wrote:This picture looks nothing like DD
Oh it very much is Doris, right down the foot arch (if ever in doubt, check the foot arch). :lol:

I haven't seen this in quite some time, not too crazy about it, still way more fond of it than - let's say - of Josie, Lights, Do not disturb and perhaps some more. Twisted evil black haired Doris in that number with Phil Silvers early in the film cracked me up and I love that hanging from the statue .

webmaster

The song is "High Hopes", I believe.

I love "Lucky Me", it's just a fun film and I'm a big fan of Phil Silvers. Nancy Walker
(also in "Murder by Death") is great too, as are all the cast.

Miss M - could you test the download links here:
http://dorisday.net/forum/phpBB2/viewto ... 5060#15060

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

WOW, I'd never had thought to look at the foot arch... thanks Miss Maxwell!!!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Superstitious

It isn't that she's "Superstitious":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag7fchszTfw

Online comment:
"The most memorable production number in the film is the opening "Superstition Song", which has Day bouncing along in heels with beyond perfect posture, singing about superstition while the choreography steers her away from passing under ladders and stepping on sidewalk cracks. Whenever she receives a lifetime achievement award, this number should be worked into her highlight reel, because there are not many actresses who could pull it off."
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

RueBea

Unread post by RueBea »

This movie is not my favorite, but I love it all the same. I think I might even watch it today...... :D
RueBea

"Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty." ~Doris Day

webmaster

"I think I might even watch it today...... "

You should Rue! I always think that this film is the essential Doris - despite her protests!
I thought it was a very funny film with some great musical numbers.
Okay, it wasn't "Singing in the Rain" - but that didn't have Doris in it!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Re: Lucky Me

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Well, Marion practically forced me (in a nice way) to watch that movie yesterday. I didn't like "Tea for Two" all that much and I thought this would be the same way so I needed a little pushing ... *but* I was wrong. I was again pleasantly surprised!I LIKED IT!!!!. I think I liked it more than Marion did *lol* :lol:
I thought the dance numbers are kinda cute - the co-stars were fun - and I liked the songs as well. I think Doris was totally cute although I did think she overdid her walking-style a bit :lol: Anyway - Its not my favorite kind of movie and I won't watch it every day, but it was nice to watch - and I enjoyed it. Rated it good!!!

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Anke was right, the movie only got an "average" from me.

We don't need to talk about the story line, but I did like the songs "The Bluebells of Broadway" and "Love You Dearly". Actually I have not met many Americans who can roll the "r" that well - I know I can't which is why I really didn't care much for learning Spanish... *gg*

The movie is okay to watch once in a while but will probably stay in the second half of my film list. ;)
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

I LOVE rolling my r's!!! It really does come in handy for spanish class!
Megan
-----------------

sunnyDAY

Unread post by sunnyDAY »

I finally was able to see this movie. It's a sweet film, silly at times. But of all the Doris movies I've seen I like Doris' look the best here. Her hair, all her beautiful clothes. Especially the one dress when she sings, "I Speak to the Stars." The dress matches her eyes. Sure this movie may be called "fluff" but's a good movie that I'd watch again and again.

And I also think that Candy Williams is her best character name. :lol:
~ Have a sunny DAY!! ~