Lucky Me

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Lucky Me"?

Poor
4%
Average
35%
Good
39%
Excellent
23%

Total votes: 57

mikeydv
Music Master

Re: Lucky Me

Unread post by mikeydv »

I have never seen a film in which I appreciated the non-acting skills of Phil Silvers. His presence in this film spoiled it for me. Doris' singing was great as usual, and I SPEAK TO THE STARS is one of my fave songs by her, as well as LOVE YOU DEARLY. But PHIL SILVERS??? PLEASE.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Actually, I really like Phil Silvers in this! (Good job we are all different!) I found him very funny - as I did the film. I went though a period, having not seen this film before, where I just kept playing it and getting friends to watch it with me! It's a real fun film, I think.

You can read Ralph's review and listen to the songs here:

http://www.dorisday.net/lucky_me.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I agree with Bryan. I personally thought Phil Silvers did a good job! This one is closer to the top of my favorites list of DoDo's.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I think the script is terrible, but some of the musical numbers are fun!
Like Irene Dunne done.

sunnyDAY

Unread post by sunnyDAY »

Here's some screen caps I took. Isn't she gorgeous?

Lucky me.jpg
Lucky me.jpg (32.97 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
Lucky me2.jpg
Lucky me2.jpg (25.35 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
Lucky me6.jpg
Lucky me6.jpg (26.46 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
~ Have a sunny DAY!! ~

sunnyDAY

Unread post by sunnyDAY »

Lucky me19.jpg
Lucky me19.jpg (41.84 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
Lucky me15.jpg
Lucky me15.jpg (57.61 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
Lucky me17.jpg
Lucky me17.jpg (30.3 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
~ Have a sunny DAY!! ~

webmaster

Thanks sunnyDAY - those are great. 8)

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Thank you sunnyday for posting these great picture, she looks really great.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Love the caps, thanks!

Has anyone noticed Doris' hair in this film??? Looking at those photos made her hair look a bit, fake.. Does anyone else think this, or is it just me?
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I think this is a pretty bad film, but not as bad as Tea For Two or April In Paris. Certainly not one of her best. I love Doris' look in the film though.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

Has anyone noticed Doris' hair in this film??? Looking at those photos made her hair look a bit, fake.. Does anyone else think this, or is it just me?
I know what you mean, I think they were trying a new style, Megan - 'they 'fluffed it up a bit'. It was one of the styles that didn't 'stick', like the' bob' in "It Happened to Jane". It was a bit too 'full', as if they were thinking of a few other 'blond bombshells' of the period. It was made after Doris' time away from the studio suffering from exhaustion after filming "Calamity Jane". As we know, she didn't want to do it and delayed starting until she realised that, under her contract, she was obliged to do it, so she might have just gone along with everything to get it over with. She felt that the film itself was 'fluff' and too much like some of the routine musicals that John has mentioned, especially after the enormous success of "Calamity Jane", still popular today.

Robert Cummings and Doris didn't have the chemistry (or sex appeal) she had with many of her other leading men - or rather Robert Cummings had no sex appeal whatsoever! - so that didn't help.

But I still love it as a kind of 'Let's put on a show' old-fashioned Hollywood musical.

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

I love the pictures Sunnyday put up!
Maybe the script wasn't the best, but I still love a movie that can make me laugh, and I needed to laugh this week because it's been a very rough week!
One thing I must say, is that I loved Doris Day's clothes in this movie. I don't often care for the 1950's style of clothing, but these clothes are lovely, and I wish I could wear them, but now a days, people would think I'm going to a costume party! Lol! This first dress she wore is one of my favorites. I do like th little white gloves women wore, even before the 50's. I wish those would go back into style!
I gave this movie an excellent because It made me happy during a hard time.

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlegoldfish666 »

Okay I just had to comment on this film with Doris Day singing in a somewhat Scottish accent and with me being Scottish an all :P

First off, well she actually done pretty good, not perfect but they weren't going for that anyways :wink: At least she didn't sound Irish like some people who try to speak with a Scottish accent end up sounding like :roll: Oh and she remembered to roll the r's :D *iz proud* But the sometimes over emphasis on the r's was a hoot :lol: I almost wet myself laughing :D hmmm, TMI? :P

And well, who doesn't love Phil Silvers. He's a hoot :D

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Come on guys..there is no such thing as a Bad Doris film. There may have been some bad scripts, but Doris NEVER gave a bad performance in any film. (or on any other medium for that ma tter).

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

mikeydv wrote:Come on guys..there is no such thing as a Bad Doris film. There may have been some bad scripts, but Doris NEVER gave a bad performance in any film. (or on any other medium for that ma tter).
Well I can't completely agree cause I haven't seen all her films yet :wink: (but I'm working on it) but from the movies I have seen so far I have to agree that Doris does seem to make some movies a lot better. But then again I could be biased cause I like her :D

But seriously, the performances she gives in every movie I've seen so far has been exceptional. It seems like she does it effortlessly. She makes it look so easy.

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

I watched some of this movie last night again. What can I say, I quite like it. And listening to Doris singing "The bluebells of broadway" always makes me laugh. It's pretty funny the way she rolls the r's in an over the top way :lol:

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Unread post by Day&MacRae »

Has anyone noticed that the purple and pink costume from “April in Paris” is hanging on the hat rack she nocks over? (When she's in her dressing room) I was kinda surprised when i saw it. :D
~Kimberly~

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

A very entertaining though not great Doris Day film. Anything after CALAMITY JANE was bound to be a disappointment.
Cummings is dubbed by the voice that WB used for Gene Nelson in other films. One can notice this when they watch LULLABY OF BROADWAY, STARLIFT, SHE'S WORKING HER WAY THROUGH COLLEGE, etc.
The others - Silvers, Walker, Foy, Dalio, Hyer, the character actor portraying the Cop, Bill Goodwin - are all excellent.
Songs are good for this film but do not rank as Sammy Fain's best.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Lately I have been catching up on so many movies,but this one will amust because I love the look of it
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

love the fashion in "Lucky me", very style full.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Wonderful to see those fashion sketches from Lucky Me- although I thought Howard Shoup did the clothes for this one (he was one of Doris' favourite designers at the time, did Young at Heart etc).

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Moss Mabry who did the clothes for "Lucky Me" also did the clothes for "Move Over Darling". I never thought the clothes for "Darling" were especially memorable in the way that the clothes for "The Thrill of it All", "Do Not Disturb", "Pillow Talk", etc were. I do think Mabry designed some beautiful clothes for "Lucky Me", however. Miss Day wears them so well and they are, in my opinion, a decided improvement over some of the clothese she wore in several of her Warner's films. Although she didn't want to do the film, she never betrays that lack of interest, instead displaying a beautiful sense of confidence and assurance.

webmaster

I loved the long white dress she sang "I Want to Sing Like an Angel" in - she looked amazing when she swirled around before going back up the stairs to finish the song. :)

Great images, Puck - I've already saved them for the film page! :wink:

http://www.dorisday.net/lucky_me.html

Pettles

Unread post by Pettles »

Never met a Doris film I didn't adore. Same for her music.

animal lover

luckyme123
Forum Friend

Unread post by luckyme123 »

luckyme123 im lucky to be born in 1938, therefor i got to hear the QUEEN OF SONG WHILE STILL A CHILD. dear est DORIS COULDNT MAKE A BAD FLIC. SHE IS THE BEST LOOKING ACTRESS,SINGER DANCER.AND BOY CAN SHE DANCE.WHAT SHE DOES TO A BALLARD IS WONDERFUL,MARVELOUS,SHE HAS PERFECT PITCH,STAGE PRESSINCE.THEIRS NO ONE IN THIS WORLD WHO IS BETTER THAN HER,EXCEPT GOD OUR FATHER.I THANK HIM FOR LETTING ME GROW UP WITH THIS GREAT LADY. I COMPLEMEANT HER FOR LOVING HER ANIMALS LIKE SHE DOES. HER BOOKS ARE GREAT,EVERYONE KNOWS DORIS IS MY HEART.WHEN A MOVIE COMES ON THE TELEVISON MY PHONES RINGS OFF THE WALL.THEY CALL ME FROM LA, FL,CT EVEN MY GREAT GRANDS KNOW HER AND SING HER SONGS.THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER YOU.I DRAM SOMETIME THAT I AM IN YOUR HOUSE.WE ARE BEST FRIENDS THATS A DREAM I KNOW I CANT HAVE BUT ITS WORTH MILLIONS TO ME.I LOST MY HUSBAND 11 YEARS AGO AND A SON CALLED THOMAS AT AGE 29. LIFE IS HARD BUT YOU MAKE IT WONDERFUL DAY BY DAY.