Lucky Me

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Lucky Me"?

Poor
4%
Average
35%
Good
39%
Excellent
23%

Total votes: 57

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Lucky Me

Unread post by ray »

Hollywood showed its contempt for Doris with a film like this as they did in the late sixties. Enjoyed her with Phil Silvers, Nancy Walker and Robert Cummings though. Bryan where was Angie Dickinson in this movie, couldn't spot here.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

She's in there somewhere, Ray, but can't say I remember seeing her - but I must disagree with you, I think "Lucky Me" is great! 8)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

mikeydv wrote:Come on guys..there is no such thing as a Bad Doris film. There may have been some bad scripts, but Doris NEVER gave a bad performance in any film. (or on any other medium for that ma tter).
QUITE RIGHT DEAR

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

We all have our opinions Bryan, you don't like the DD show and I do. Lucky Me was not up to Doris's talent but I still enjoyed the musical moments. Loved Nancy Walker!

webmaster

And Phil Silvers, Eddie Foy jr - even Bob Cummings - unlikely as he and Doris were as lovers - anyway, you've given me an idea for a new banner/film. :)

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Angie Dickinson made her film debut (if you can call it that!) in the party scene at the end. She's a bit difficult to spot because she's got black hair (as I recall it) and only one brief line. As for "Lucky Me:" Hate the move, really enjoy the musical numbers!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

To me, the script was average and the music (especially the two ballads) above average. If you want escapism in a movie, this can supply it. I've come across these comments about Doris from Bob Cummings and Martha Hyer: To paraphrase, Cummings said that Doris "doesn't make a grand entrance; she simply doesn't behave like that." And in Ms. Hyer's 1990 autobiography, she wrote, "Doris was not feeling well during that picture, but she was always smiling and had the rare quality of making people feel good just by being near her." Both nice compliments, I think.

Judy

webmaster

Thanks Judy. I've always had a soft spot for "Lucky Me". I remember watching it with two friends (not particularly DD fans) some years ago after an evening out and we all fell about laughing. If you're in the right mood it's a great fun film. :)

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

webmaster wrote:Thanks Judy. I've always had a soft spot for "Lucky Me". I remember watching it with two friends (not particularly DD fans) some years ago after an evening out and we all fell about laughing. If you're in the right mood it's a great fun film. :)
YES IT IS I LIKE IT

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

A shout-out to Paul for his comments about Moss Mabry's designs in this film and MOD. I agree completely.

Another shout-out to the amazing PUCK for posting these design sketches. Wow, can you imagine what a dream assignment it was for talented designers to create fashions for someone with a body like Doris? It had to be gratifying to know the end result would look as good on screen as it did in their heads.

Now about the film.... not so crazy about it but I do like the "I Speak To The Stars" number and the way Doris looks. The clothes and the hairstyle were becoming to her. She was quite sexy in this film.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

jmichael wrote:A shout-out to Paul for his comments about Moss Mabry's designs in this film and MOD. I agree completely.

Another shout-out to the amazing PUCK for posting these design sketches. Wow, can you imagine what a dream assignment it was for talented designers to create fashions for someone with a body like Doris? It had to be gratifying to know the end result would look as good on screen as it did in their heads.

Now about the film.... not so crazy about it but I do like the "I Speak To The Stars" number and the way Doris looks. The clothes and the hairstyle were becoming to her. She was quite sexy in this film.

Michael
YES SHE WAS...

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Recently I read about Doris' experience filming 1954's Lucky Me. She mentioned that she had not been well feeling exhausted from filming Calamity Jane. She often spent time alone in her dressing room instead of spending time with the cast and crew as she often did.

Doris stated that one of the best experiences while filming Lucky Me was becoming friends with Judy Garland who was filming A Star Is Born on the same lot. Doris commented that Judy would make her laugh until she doubled over. She said Judy was a genuine person in a town (Hollywood) where there were so many phonies. They compared their experiences in having husband- managers. Judy stated she did not have a lot of confidence in her husband as her manager. Doris said she had full confidence in Marty. Of course, it came to be that Martin Melcher made a lot of bad investments and Doris was broke after his death in 1968.

Another observation that was made was that both Doris and Judy had a great deal in common being in show business from a young age and were basically good people that were often vulnerable.
Johnny

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Ray is correct up there about "Lucky Me." Furthermore, the entire Warner Bros. was not up to Doris' talents, but she was the only one at that studio with musical talents, so it was up to her to handle everything. Guess that was to our advantage.

I liked the movie, but, after "Calamity", Doris expected something better.

Lauren

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

One of Doris' most beautiful songs was featured in Lucky Me. The song is called I Speak To The Stars (in a sky full of wonder. This song is rarely mentioned. I find it incredibly moving in the way Doris delivers the song.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

The discussion with friends about a St. Patrick's Day celebration this year came up. We often watch a Doris Day film during special occasions and the idea of watching Lucky Me came up as an appropriate film for the day. Three of us have seen the film several times over the years but it will be new to three other film buffs who are Doris Day fans. Looking at the DVD, I found the following information.

Front Cover of DVD Jacket:

Warners' 'Lucky Me' is an ultra-new look in musicals.

The fastest-paced pleasure that ever spread a wide smile across the face of the screen.

10 Ultra- Happy New Top Tunes

Doris Day and CinemaScope never had it so good!

Back Cover of DVD Jacket:

Looking for music, laughs and love? It's your lucky Day!

Don't step on a crack.Open an Umbrella only when outdoors. Stop the show if the audience numbers 13 people. Struggling performer Candy Williams (Doris Day) has many ways to warn off bad luck. Maybe that's why the most lopsided, unlucky day of her life eventually turns out to be luckiest!
Lucky Me reunites Day with Calamity Jane tune-smiths Sammy Fain and Paul Francis Webster and the teamwork works again. Day turns a sidewalk stroll into a hilarious series of near-mishaps while belting Superstition songs. It's a good omen, High Hopes, I Speak to the Stars, I Wanna Sing Like An Angel, and more bright melodies follow. As do the lucky antics and showbiz pizazz co-stars Robert Cummings, Phil Silvers, Eddie Foy Jr. and Nancy walker.

How lucky can a musical- comedy fan get?

Special Features:

Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.

Vintage short, When talkies Were Young

Oscar nominated cartoon, Sandy-Claws

Theatrical Trailers

I think I have always appreciated Lucky Me for entertainment and the love of Doris as a performer. The song I Speak To The Stars is a standout and beautiful to watch. The supporting cast is fun to watch but I do have reservations about Robert Cummings' performance. I would have liked to see Tony Curtis or Gene Nelson in that role.

I am hoping the film goes over well on St. Patrick's Day.
Johnny

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Can't spot Angie Dickinson as a brunette in the party scene. She won a contest to hollywood and a spot in this flick as the story goes.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

After a long delay due to Doris' health problems, shooting on Lucky Me began on November 5-1953. Lucky Me was originally titled Sally according to David Kaufman's book on Doris.

Lucky Me holds the distinction of being the first musical being filmed in CinemaScope. This wide-screen technique invented in France had recently been perfected and copy-righted by Fox. In an attempt to exploit the trend, Warners' prominently the newfangled word in ads for the film.
Robert Cummings reported that Doris Day chose him as her leading man after she spent time observing him working on the set of Dial M For Murder.
Doris Day in Lucky Me
Doris Day in Lucky Me
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

In Tom Santopietro's book Considering Doris Day he states: "In the majority of Doris Day films, her own persona shines through, whatever the role, and her essential optimism is contagious. Such does not prove to be the case in Lucky Me. It may be the confluence of Day's illness with the second the script, but this film features a fairly angry Doris Day; she pops her eyes, yells at people, slaps faces, and smashes mirrors."

"There are no inspired musical numbers to relieve the tired plot machinations. Doris must sings The Bluebells of Broadway with a Scottish accent, duet with Phil Silvers on "Men", while wearing a ridiculous black wig, and worst of all don a lace mantilla, cat's eyes spectacles, and another black wig in order to impersonate royalty at Mr. Thayer's dinner party. The disguise wouldn't fool a toddler, let alone supposedly wise adults".

"One suffers through all these third- rate contrivances in the hope of hearing Doris Day sing by herself, but even though she sounds lovely on "I Speak To The Stars", effortlessly negotiating the melody's harmonic shifts, the song's effectiveness is marred both by setting, (Doris singing underneath a see-through crystal tree!) and by background vocals that feature a chorus sounding eerily like the munchkins in The Wizard of Oz. Dramatically and musically, this is Doris Day's film best, and easily, forgotten.

Lucky Me was released on April 9-1954. An early announcement said that the film would be made in 3D, but it was mad in Cinemascope, the first musical to use the wide-screen process. Lucky Me was not well received upon it's original release.

Doris Day recognized that the script for Lucky Me was inferior and was reluctant to do the film. The tenants of her Christian Science faith saying one must keep their commitments influenced her to honour her word.

Ironically, Doris Day received a good review from the New York Times- the only paper consistently critical of her - for one of her worst films thus far:....She is breezy, bright, lyric when the spirits of others are most low".

Lucky Me is a film musical for it's time. Film critics can be unnecessarily harsh, cynical and unkind. In the halls of film history, Lucky Me is no better or worse than countless musical comedies from that era. There are ordinary moments, funny moments and occasionally beautiful moments. For Doris Day fans, Lucky Me can be a film to be enjoyed.
Johnny

webmaster

I certainly don't agree with that. I watched it on DVD in the late 80s with two friends who weren't particularly Doris Day fans and we all fell about laughing - we had been to the pub so maybe you have to be slightly intoxicated to fully appreciate it. :lol:

I think Doris was angry where appropriate (being lied to by Bob Cummings). Agree about Bluebells of Broadway but The Superstition Song, I Speak to the Stars, Love You Dearly, High Hopes, and even 'Men' were pretty good, I thought. I Want To Sing Like an Angel (and Dance Like the Devil) was terrific, with some neat footwork from Doris.

The problem is that it's got the reputation of 'not being one of her best' so that has stuck - not helped by Doris saying she didn't want to do it and didn't like it.

It's all a matter of what mood you're in. Thanks for that, Johnny.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I agree Bryan.

Lucky Me followed Doris' exhilarating and successful musical comedy Calamity Jane and probably suffered by comparison and expectations. Doris did not like the script.

Lucky Me is rarely shown on television. It can be appreciated through the lens of it's time.
Johnny

webmaster

Lucky Me is rarely shown on television.
True. Ditto The Pajama Game. :evil:

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Agree completely, Bryan and Johnny. The picture has some really funny moments, and I think the business in the "The Blue Belles of Broadway" number is clever. Two actors in the supporting cast worked with Doris a few years later: Marcel Dalio and Hayden Rorke, respectively, as the boss and phone company official in "Pillow Talk" and Rorke again in "Midnight Lace" as a doctor and in "The Thrill of it All" as the chauffeur.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

In Alan Gelb's book, The Doris Day Scrapbook, he writes the following about Doris' film Lucky Me:

"Jack Donohue, who did the sparkling choreography for Calamity Jane, was not quite so sparkling as the director of Lucky Me. Coming from such routine Red Skelton comedies as Watch The Birdie and The Yellow Cab Man, Lucky Me represented his big chance. Admittedly the material wasn't great but he did precisely nothing with it, and its' dismal showing at the box office sent him into TV, not to return to film again until the mid sixties when he would oversee such indulgent Frank Sinatra efforts as marriage On The Rocks and Assault On A Queen. Lucky Me certainly had a marvelous supporting cast of comics--one could not ask for better farceurs that Silvers, Walker and Foy --but even the most inspired comedians require decent material. The score was just adequate (save for the genuinely good ballad called "I Speak To The Stars",) and Robert Cummings was just adequate as a leading man. The best that can be said of Lucky Me was that portions of it were adequate. The worst that could be said of it would be uncharitable indeed. For Doris, it was a blow-out of a movie, and Martin Melcher didn't have to be a genius to realize it. For Doris' next film, he chose a property that he felt could serve as a bridge between her carefree image of the past and the meatier and more serious roles she would essay in the future.

Looking at the 56 ratings on the Doris Day Forum, only two members rated Lucky Me poor. Thirteen members rated the film as excellent. Most members rated it as good. Perhaps Lucky Me suffered in comparison to the dazzling Calamity Jane which was released just five months before in November 1953. Lucky me was released in April 1954. It would have been better if Doris had done a drama instead of another musical.

Lucky Me would have fared better with a charismatic leading man like Donald O Connor, Tony Curtis, or William Holden. It also needed more substantial musical numbers with memorable songs. Lucky Me had the potential to be a better film with a better director and script. Doris carried the film and she is always a pleasure to watch.
Johnny

webmaster

I always liked - loved even - Lucky Me. Now that Doris is no longer with us it seems more of a treasure than ever, and I'm so glad she made it!

Doris Day’s opening number in Lucky Me, The Superstition Song,

"Lucky Me is a fun musical which opens with Doris Day’s dynamite opening number, The Superstition Song, which she sings while bouncing down the streets of Miami! A true star performance! Only Doris could have gotten away with this and she is brilliant. She played Candy Williams, a singer-actress who was appearing in a traveling show, Parisian Pretties, which bombed in Miami. Stranded, she meets a New York songwriter, Cummings, who is casting a new Broadway show.

Not wanting to be recognized as a famous songwriter, he pretends to be a car mechanic after she mistakes him for one. However, he soon falls in love with her and despite attempts to tell her who he really is, she finds out first and refuses to speak to him. During the proceedings, Doris Day sings most of the numbers including her chart hit, I Speak to the Stars. The highlights are I Wanna Sing Like an Angel and Love You, Dearly, a lovely ballad, which should have been a hit.

Phil Silvers was wonderful and had a great number with Doris Day called Men! The other actors gave Miss Day strong support and everyone seems to work well together. Angie Dickinson made her film début in a walk-on scene at the big party, but you probably won’t recognize her (she had black hair). Bill Goodwin played the same role he played in many a film at various studios.

Again, Doris Day fans will just love seeing their favorite star do anything. Even though Miss Day didn’t like the picture, her fans seem to love every minute of it. I must admit, I liked it!"

Ralph McKnight, New York

"Doris Day’s dynamite opening number, The Superstition Song, which she sings while bouncing down the streets of Miami! A true star performance!"

Watch in full screen for the full CinemaScope and Doris Day effect! If you study how Doris negotiated all those scenes and had to interpret a difficult song it shows her gifts, which are easy to take for granted.

More> https://www.dorisday.net/lucky-me

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi Bryan/Johnny,

Lucky Me is a film I like a lot, I can see it faults, but I like the way the actors react to each other. Phil Silvers, Eddie Foy Jr. and Nancy Walker are great cast and very funny. Don't think much of Robert Cummings as her love interest. His role could have been better/deeper. He doesn't do very much to the story I think. There are several highlights: I like the title number: "Superstition Song", "Men" and "I Speak To The Stars". The comedy routine in the kitchen is very funny too.

P