Lover Come Back

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Lover Come Back"?

Poor
No votes
Average
1%
Good
13%
Excellent
86%

Total votes: 71

Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Lover Come Back

Unread post by Johnny »

Lover Come Back Original Reviews

The New York Times -Bosley Crowther :

" One of the brightest, most delightful, satiric comedies since ,"It Happened One Night",

Variety - "This is a funny, most of the time engaging, smartly produced show"

Harrison's Reports gave the film a rating of "GOOD", adding "It's lots of fun most of the time even through the theme of boy fights girl, boy falls in love with girl and vice versa has been done quite often and in similar detail before."

Philip K. Scheuer of the Los Angeles Times wrote, " We can testify to the frequent hilarity with which.everybody concerned has infused this farcical mixup, double - entendres and all"

Richard L. Coe of The Washington Post deemed it funny and worldly from start to finish ...Blond Doris has never been more attractive or spirited and Hudson has become an adept farceur".

Trivia:

Lover Come Back is included among the American Film Institute's 2000 list of the 500 movies nominated for the top 100 Funniest American Movies.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

LCB was a worthy follow-up to the smash hit Pillow Talk.

Delbert Mann's direction was deft, nimble and light. He knew how to pull off a sight gag and he understood comedic rhythm and timing. His pacing was just right. Take another look at Do Not Disturb or Tunnel Of Love if you want to see the difference between a director who understands pacing and someone who does not.

LCB took the double-entendres and sexually suggestive moments of PT further but never went too far.

The satiric jabs at Madison Avenue and consumerism were topical and spot-on. You can't possibly watch Mad Men without seeing the influence LCB had on its creator, Mathew Weiner.

The supporting team of players was aces with Edie Adams, Jack Krushcen, Jack Oakie ("just a touch") and Ann B. Davis turning in topnotch performances. Each of them had unforgettable moments given their relatively brief screen time.

Doris, Rock and Tony were sensational in their respective roles. Rock perfected his comedic chops, Tony made the neurotic, spoiled rich guy even more lovable than before and Doris soared as an ambitious but ethical career woman who refused to compromise her principles. This had nothing to do with her character's alleged virginity or homespun values either, as some critics have maintained.

My only minor complaints are that I missed seeing Doris and Tony in scenes together and the mistaken identity device was clearly lifted from Pillow Talk.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Michael for the Mad Men reference and Matthew Weiner. I was and am enthralled by this brilliant series. There are countless compelling scenes that connect to the emotional and intellectual core. Every element in this series from the casting, art direction, to the music is perfection. Mad Men is a masterpiece.

There are many enjoyable movie references including Joan saying she feels like Doris Day stuck between Pillow Talk and Midnight Lace.
Johnny