Lover Come Back

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Lover Come Back"?

Poor
No votes
Average
1%
Good
13%
Excellent
86%

Total votes: 71

miss maxwell
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by miss maxwell » 18 Nov 2007, 10:15

Very interesting thoughts and beautiful pics from everyone. It's true that many motifs of Pillow Talk are repeated in Lover come back, but it's still a great romantic comedy and a treat for the eyes... boy, what a man Rock was. And what a great duo he and Doris made, physically and intellectually. Tony Randall... always a hoot! Truth is I haven't watched this movie in a long time and it's all a little blury BUT how can one forget the eye-rolling when she finds out he's Jerry Webster. Oh boy, the Doris day eye rolling in all its glory.

And what a - pleasant - surprise it was to see Carol's beautiful top again in an episode of the 2nd season of The Doris Day Show [Doris strikes out]:

Even prettier in 1969. 8)

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 18 Nov 2007, 15:28

Very good Miss Maxwell ! - I noticed the LCB beaded top also. Didn't she have it with a different skirt ? In LCB its with a tight fitting under dress or skirt and in the tv show it was a loose gathered or pleated shorter skirt.
She uses a lot of her movie clothing on the tv show. Sometimes pieces of outfits - a robe - you just have to watch closely and you'll see it. I don't know if you noticed in With Six You Get Eggroll - when she's dressing for the party the white outfit she wants to wear (and ends up in the red dress) is from Send Me No Flowers. And in LCB, the lingerie/robe she's getting ready to put on when she discovers that Linus is Jerry - is what she's wearing over her slip at the beginning of Pillow Talk. I always get a kick out of this. My husband just laughs at me ! I find it interesting.

And you are so right about the chemistry between Doris-Rock&Tony. They were perfect together on every level.

The wonderful eye popping Doris you were mentioning - with the Pillow Talk lingerie over her arm.

The Pillow Talk lingerie.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 24 Feb 2008, 20:29

I LOVE this movie... but wait a minute, I say I LOVE this movie on all the Doris Day movies I've seen... that's just the thing... I don't care about the plot as much as just getting to see Doris Day... If Doris is in it... I like it. I LOVE getting to hear her sing, she has such a beautiful voice. I love watching the way Doris Day reacts to everything...
On youtube if you type in, Doris Day gets mad... you can see a funny little segment about they way she reacts in her movies... If you type in... The Kitten and Kisses Show, Day of Doris, you can see this girl like almost stalk Doris Day... she even follows a flower delivery truck to see where she lives...

Back to Lover Come Back

I loved her in this movie, she and Rock Hudson worked really well together... I he wasn't gay, and Doris wasn't married, I'll bet they might have gotten together, or at least dated... just think what a great couple they might've been
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell » 02 Mar 2008, 14:55

Last pic first row doesn't look very 'LCB' to me (the hair do is more TTOM
in fact) but it was listed as such, anyway --

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

:arrow: Best for last

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell » 25 Mar 2008, 15:45

I watched LCB yesterday for the second time and as usually happens, you pick up or notice more things, the more the viewings; as is my case with the scene at the aquarium: Carol and "Dr Tyler" are standing in front of two fish, that look like a white goldfish and a blowfish. As the dialogue progresses and is ending and Carol has obvisouly and totally fallen for "Dr Tyler's" line ("a woman instinctively senses when a man can be trusted and you doctor can be trusted"), the blowfish eats the white fish and right after that Rock clears up his throat, like he has just swallowed something. Oh I found the parallelism between the fish and the two characters genius!

Daisy June

Re: Lover Come Back

Unread post by Daisy June » 22 Jun 2008, 14:59

I loved this movie. It is my favorite. It was just on Friday night and I watched it again for the 100th time. I have it memorized. Rock and Doris were just so perfect together. I love it when they go to the restaurant and she is trying to teach him to dance. One part there where there is a close up of her , she is just beautiful..... as always. I love all the faces she makes in her movies, she just cracks me up and knows how to make me laugh. If you ever have a bad day, just put in one of her comedy movies and she will change your whole outlook how you were feeling. Oh how I wish she was still making movies.... haven't really seen a good comedy since she retired. I miss her so much.
Carol

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 22 Jun 2008, 15:40

Carol, I have to agree with you, I love this movie .I too wish they made cute comedies like that again.I have to rate this movie in my TOP two favorites.I never tire of it.You know doris had them re-write some of the movie and the part she had them redue is one of the best parts of the movie.I beleive it was the motel part and the wedding part. (cart side ceramony. :D
suzie

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD » 22 Jun 2008, 15:54

This was the movie that changed my life. I was too young to really understand all the sexual undertones, but Doris came shining through. I just laughed so much. I just fell in love with her. It's not the movie I watch the most, but it is my special movie.
Barb

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 27 Jun 2008, 17:11

Lover Come Back is brilliant written farce that holds up to this day thanks to the charm, and building suspense of the reveal. Doris Day never fails to hold the audience attention and Rock Hudson is her perfect match in grace and style. The movie is loved today as it was in 1961. It still makes us laugh out loud. What can be better for a person than that? Thank you Miss Doris Day!
Johnny

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 24 Jul 2008, 17:49

JUST FINISHED "LOVER COME BACK" - now i have seen that one ... as a kid ?? Maybe a teenager - strangely enough the only thing I've rememberd was that crazy chemist guy with the beard wo invented VIP (which is another thing - I remembered thos colory candy things ... yeah .. I MUST have been a kid then :D ) - anyhow I TRULY loved it. Its sooo funny - and its cute .... jeeeeeeeezzz and Tony Randall - omg - thank heaven for Tony Randall - his is HILLARIOUS!!!!!! I love him in this!!! Totally do!! He was a comedic genius - just like Doris is - well that's what I think. I don't think Rock is - now he is great and all - and I love him with Doris - but its kinda different with him - don't know.
Someone in that thread talked about best movie teams - I totally agree that Doris and Rock are up there with Hepburn and Tracy - those are my two favorite couples. Maybe also Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman - although they are not considered as a team somehow - still I think they had GREAT chemistry.
Anyhow - back to LOVER COME BACK.... loved the scene with the fish in the background ... it was clearly put in later - but it was still funny when the ugly big one ate the little one in the back :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
And the storyline is kinda well done - wasn't the script nominated for an Oscar or something?? Very good! I love it very much ... now I've seen the three doris / rock movies again and I'd go for
1. Send me no Flowers
2. Lover come back
3. Pillow Talk
as in favorites :D :D

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 24 Jul 2008, 18:01

I thought Cary Grant and Irenne Dunne made a good team..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 24 Jul 2008, 18:27

BabeWilliams wrote:I thought Cary Grant and Irenne Dunne made a good team..
I think Cary Grant made a pretty good team with almost everyone - I love him with Deborah Kerr as well -
but - off topic - sorry :lol:

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Re:

Unread post by Jake Iverson » 25 Jul 2008, 19:17

dayniac wrote:Very good Miss Maxwell ! - I noticed the LCB beaded top also. Didn't she have it with a different skirt ? In LCB its with a tight fitting under dress or skirt and in the tv show it was a loose gathered or pleated shorter skirt.
She uses a lot of her movie clothing on the tv show. Sometimes pieces of outfits - a robe - you just have to watch closely and you'll see it. I don't know if you noticed in With Six You Get Eggroll - when she's dressing for the party the white outfit she wants to wear (and ends up in the red dress) is from Send Me No Flowers. And in LCB, the lingerie/robe she's getting ready to put on when she discovers that Linus is Jerry - is what she's wearing over her slip at the beginning of Pillow Talk. I always get a kick out of this. My husband just laughs at me ! I find it interesting.

And you are so right about the chemistry between Doris-Rock&Tony. They were perfect together on every level.

The wonderful eye popping Doris you were mentioning - with the Pillow Talk lingerie over her arm.

The Pillow Talk lingerie.
I noticed a lot of stuff that was recycled from the movies for her TV Show. Its really interesting to see and fun to pick them out.

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson » 25 Jul 2008, 19:20

I love this movie! I think its great. The script, the acting, the sets, the clothes and the hair. There are so many good scenes in this movie. When Rebel and Doris are at the Ad Council...that's wonderful. I laugh everytime I watch it.

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June » 25 Jul 2008, 19:25

Jake,
I'm right behind you talking about her movies. This is my favorite of all her comedies. I have seen it many many many times. I think I have the lines memorized. She is just wonderful with Rock. I also love the part at the Ad Council. That is one of the funniest parts. One of my favorites scenes is where she is dancing with Rock in that ugly suit. When they show a closeup of Doris in the gorgeous suit...she is so stunning.
Carol

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 26 Jul 2008, 19:37

yes , jake that scene is too funny,where rebel is showing off her trophies, LOL . I also love the part where tony gets multi colored faces from the crazy linus tyler lab scene...whoever wrote this movie was a genius. :lol: I love to laugh and this movie made me do alot of that..
suzie

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 07 Dec 2008, 20:50

This movie is tops for me.I love and adore all of doris' movies,but this one is my favorite by far.Today we are having blizzard conditions and I plan to watch this great film and stay cozy and warm.... :D
suzie

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Unread post by sunnygail » 09 Dec 2008, 14:31

My most favorite part of this movie is where the housekeepers are in the paking lot and hear doris scream and then tell her its something she will aquire a taste for. That is so funny. Doris and rock played that scene so well.The maids shaking their heads saying "poor lad it wont be much of a honeymoon " Whoever wrote that was a genius. GREAT film. :D

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv » 10 Dec 2008, 11:53

Although PILLOW TALK was excellent, and Doris certainly deserved the Academy Award she did not get, I thought LCB was even better. The thing going for PILLOW TALK was the use of split/screen techniques that were new at the time and brilliantly used throughout the film. And of course, Doris as the independant working girl in the Interior Decoration firm. But the concept of a 5 cent pill that gives you the full strength of a strong drink....ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. And the movie also had a lot to say about ad agencies..then and now!!!

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk » 10 Dec 2008, 12:36

I love this movie. It is one of my favorites! It was the first Doris movie I ever saw, and it's what really sparked my interest in Doris Day! My favorite part is the part where Doris and Rock are on the beach...so romantic!! Oh, I also love the part in the motel! And Tony Randall is hilarious. And I love Doris's song Should I Surrender. The only thing I didn't like about it was Doris's purple hat in the beach part, LOL. Lover Come Back has got to be in my top 3 Doris movies!! :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle » 29 Jun 2009, 17:18

Some Lover Come Back screengrabs I just found... enjoy! :D

Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 29 Jun 2009, 17:33

chele_belle wrote:Some Lover Come Back screengrabs I just found... enjoy! :D
What absolutely striking pictures!!!I somehow I find Doris's hair somewhat purplish in that movie and that is how I know now it's LCB.I have some favourite pictures of Doris & Rock but they are posed aside from a movie.The chemistry is fabulous.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle » 29 Jun 2009, 17:45

melancholy wrote:what absolutely striking pictures!!!I somehow I find Doris's hair somewhat purplish in that movie and that is how I know now it's LCB.I have some favourite pictures of Doris & Rock but they are posed aside from a movie.The chemistry is fabulous.
Doris was definitely a platinum blond in this film! I swing between this and Pillow Talk as being my favourite Doris/Rock film... this week LCB is winning. :)

I'd love to see your Doris and Rock pictures, can you share them with us?
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Re:

Unread post by chele_belle » 29 Jun 2009, 17:54

dayniac wrote:Image
Whenever I see this picture of Doris I always think she really looks like Nicole Kidman in it.
Michele

Ginger Rogers

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 29 Jun 2009, 18:07

Fab pics - thank you!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering