Lover Come Back

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Lover Come Back"?

Poor
No votes
Average
1%
Good
13%
Excellent
86%

Total votes: 71

daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Lover Come Back

Unread post by daybyday08 » 29 Jun 2009, 23:37

I agree she looks gorgeous!
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 30 Jun 2009, 16:51

chele_belle wrote:
melancholy wrote:what absolutely striking pictures!!!I somehow I find Doris's hair somewhat purplish in that movie and that is how I know now it's LCB.I have some favourite pictures of Doris & Rock but they are posed aside from a movie.The chemistry is fabulous.
Doris was definitely a platinum blond in this film! I swing between this and Pillow Talk as being my favourite Doris/Rock film... this week LCB is winning. :)

I'd love to see your Doris and Rock pictures, can you share them with us?
of course I would like nothing else but to share them...if only I could.
I go to download attachments & it does not work.So I guess I will try photobucket.Wish me luck..
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

jmichael
Honorary Member

NY Times Gives LCB its Due

Unread post by jmichael » 04 Aug 2009, 09:25

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... come-back/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 04 Aug 2009, 10:31

As you can see, I stuck in my two cents. Glad the film got recognition by the prestigious NY Times.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 04 Aug 2009, 12:48

Yes, that was really nice to see, thanks for posting.

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk » 05 Aug 2009, 02:42

That was great, thank you for posting. :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

classicstarlet

Unread post by classicstarlet » 06 Oct 2009, 23:50

Im dying to see this film -- In film class when we finished pillow talk, my teacher said that this movie was identical to pillow talk? I have yet to see it, but was wondering if it was quite the same? Im going to buy it on ebay!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 07 Oct 2009, 07:52

I wouldn't say it was identical - it's a completely different story but because it has the three main stars it has a similar feel, I suppose.

Delbert Mann directing Doris and Rock.
http://www.dga.org/news/dgamonthly-1207 ... -1207.php3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Above is the scene where Doris and Rock broke up (8 times according to Mann) during the filming:

Candid shot on the set by Leo Fuchs
http://www.theheliosgallery.com/servlet ... %26/Detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 07 Oct 2009, 08:18

I made this little video with the title track 3 years ago:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... 4160320702

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle » 07 Oct 2009, 12:26

Oh, wow, I love that first picture. Thanks for posting it, Bryan. I've never seen it before. I really enjoy seeing the behind-the-scenes photos - makes it all seem a little more real.

Your video is great too - loved seeing all the screen caps.

Lover Come Back probably my favourite Doris film and I think it's a tiny bit better than Pillow Talk. Whilst Pillow Talk is iconic because it was the first, Lover Come Back is where the team perfected their craft. It's a near perfect film for me.
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 09 Oct 2009, 06:10

Love, love, love ....

The candid B & W shots, especially the dramatic shot of Delbert Mann directing Doris and Rock on the beach. Doris seems to be enjoying herself immensely and I love the shot of them breaking up with laughter. Their brand of cinematic chemistry cannot be bought or manufactured.

I give LCB slightly higher marks over PT, but it's a close call. PT has the important distinction of being a landmark film in Doris' career; it reinvented her into a sexy, sophisticated leading lady and it propelled her into the rarefied realm of superstardom. It also triggered her return to boxoffice glory where she remained for several years. It was exactly the kind of watershed film that she needed at the time.

But LCB holds up slightly better in my opinion. The satiric swipes at Madison Avenue and media advertising are just as topical today as they were nearly 50 (!) years ago. The NY Times recently showcased LCB as a top tier romantic comedy by the way. While the plot resembles PT and the leading players are basically repeating the same characters but with different names and job titles, the sharp writing and pitch perfect comic timing among all three of the leading actors is a half step above what they delivered in PT.

That alone is remarkable because your second time up to bat after hitting a homerun is rarely a grand slam.

I give Doris, Rock, Tony, the writers and Delbert Mann a lot of credit for making a followup film that exceeded expectations by a mile.

Michael H
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Summersun

Unread post by Summersun » 04 Nov 2010, 11:48

As I was watching LCB the other day, I noticed the woman in the elevator as Rock exits (first scene of workplace) and said to myself...that seems like an outfit Doris would wear and I paused the movie. Then I had a good look at the lady ...and to me it really looks like Doris Day!!! Something about that smile...even for a fraction of a second! Unfortunately, (being a student on campus I don't own a TV) through the laptop screen I cannot zoom to see if it's actually her or not. Would anybody be willing to zoom in to see if it's her or not?
:)
Christie

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 25 Nov 2010, 08:31

Summersun,it is with great pleasure I am posting this here for you.It took me a while to figure it out,but we learn every DAY !!!!!!!
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 22 Jul 2011, 19:05

But the laugh! Seemingly trivial story, and how much magic in it! Brilliant Rock Hudson, Tony Randall wonderful and delightful Doris :D Reveled in every moment, I would recommend to anyone :D Doris appeared at all these wonderful costumes, dazzling beauty and class, and oh those legs dream :D Rock is one of the most handsome actors, and that his smile ah :D 10/10 :D Now, no production of such films and there is no such actors :( Injury :( But always we return to this beautiful movie and wonderful actors, they are immortal :D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 21 Nov 2011, 16:31

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 29 Feb 2012, 18:24

Watched the entire film tonight on Youtube and so much enjoyed again. What a wonderful pair Doris and Rock were and how attractive they were. They made comedy look so natural and easy and Doris in all the wonderful Irene clothes- the opening outfit is one of my all time favorites of her screen clothes.

DorisIsTerrific

Unread post by DorisIsTerrific » 12 Mar 2012, 01:27

I rated excellent this movie is awesome Doris Day and Rock Hudson are great together somebody said they didn''t like the hats in this movie I did my fav was the purple hat she wore when they were on the beach we'll my fav color is purple.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 14 Jan 2014, 19:11

Take a trip back into time with screening of
Lover Come Back at the Revue Cinema

Bloor West Villager
Before Mad Men’s Don Draper, there was Jerry Webster. And arch rival Carol Templeton. They’re two Madison Avenue account execs played by Rock Hudson and Doris Day in the 1961 film Lover Come Back.

The Revue Cinema presents the film on Thursday, Jan. 23, and welcomes guest expert Terry O’Reilly to discuss the ad business, the Doris Day period piece and AMC’s Mad Men. The event starts at 7 p.m.

O’Reilly, a 30-year veteran of the industry, hosts the CBC radio program ‘Under the Influence’ which explores many subjects, including the history of advertising, present-day trends, branding, successful campaigns, marketing tactics, women in advertising and how the industry is portrayed in film and on TV.

“A big part of that film for me is how it captures New York in a little bit of amber: the way Doris Day dresses, the cars, the Technicolor of it. There’s a lot of it that I like,” O’Reilly said of the film in a statement. “It’s not as refined, not as art-directed as Mad Men, but it was made in that era, so it captured that era.”

To get into a 1960s Madison Avenue mood, the Revue will be serving martinis and manhattans from the cash bar. Event sponsors, fashion retailers Fresh Collective (401 Roncesvalles Ave.) and Doll Factory by Damzels (394 Roncesvalles Ave.), will provide Doris Day-style fashions to evoke the era as well as door prizes.

The event starts at 7 p.m. Admission is $10 for members, seniors and Revue StarCard holders; $13 for general admission. Buy tickets through the Revue website, http://www.revuecinema.ca

The Revue Cinema, a not-for-profit community-run theatre, is located at 400 Roncesvalles Ave.
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story ... ue-cinema/

Wouldn't that be great to see? :) - Thursday, Jan. 23, if you live in Toronto!

IslandAnne

Unread post by IslandAnne » 26 Feb 2014, 15:04

Of the 3 Doris and Rock films this is my favorite(although I really do love them all)

Something that kind of annoys me is how people say she was always playing the part of a girl "protecting her virginity". I have yet to watch a film and have that thought run through my mind, I always thought for instance in LCM that she was just a little more selective with who she went to bed with. She wasn't someone who was interested in one night stands. A quality I believe should be exercised a little more in today's world. :D
"I like joy; I want to be joyous. I want to smile and I want to make people laugh. And that’s all I want. I like being happy. I want to make others happy." - Doris Day

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

I listened to the song "Should I Surrender" that Doris sings in this film and it clearly indicates her wish to sleep with Jerry Webster(Rock). The song is beautiful on it's own and has a wonderful melody. It is a quiet and reflective moment in the film just preceding all the hijinks and action. The audience is with Doris qall the way.

Lover Come Back will always be a treasured memory and I look forward to seeing it again.

The banner of Doris and Rock prompted me to listen to the song.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 23 Oct 2014, 16:56

Love this song too - jazz singer and pianist = Shirley Horn recorded a version of this for on of her later albums.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 24 Oct 2014, 11:47

I like Shirley Horn.
Like Irene Dunne done.

dorarisk

Unread post by dorarisk » 03 Jan 2015, 17:27

Love this movie.Darling Doris in the lab trying to figure what this mad professor is up to is priceless

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 04 Jan 2015, 12:17

See Donna Douglas [Ellie May in Beverley Hill Billies and a small part in Lover Come Back - secretary) has died aged 81. RIP.

Alba1985

Unread post by Alba1985 » 18 Jul 2015, 17:20

Wonderful film -my favourite together, with to ''Pillow talk''-, Doris and Rock are a perfect team. They are so amazing, charismatic and lovely. I love them. :wink:
ImageImage