It Happened to Jane

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "It Happened to Jane"?

Poor
No votes
Average
8%
Good
52%
Excellent
41%

Total votes: 66

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

It Happened to Jane

Unread post by webmaster » 07 Jan 2006, 15:35

How do you rate "It Happened to Jane"?

Thanks to Howard Green for this rare photo below of Doris and Jack Lemmon (there are two more on the page) - believe to be taken for publicity purposes for the film at the Melcher's home.

Doris has met everyone, hasn't she?!

http://dorisday.net/it_happened_to_jane.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 07 Jan 2006, 18:31

It's hard to be objective about a Doris Day film, because I love Doris!

The things I liked about this film, were Jack Lemmon as a man who is obvious in love with Jane, but hasn't proposed to her since he was 11. Although he runs for first selectman every year, he doesn't win until he gives a speech in defense of Jane. I love Doris for being Doris. How she screams when her lobsters are returned, how she looks a Jack Lemmon with pride, how she fights for her rights, and her appearance on I've Got a Secret.
I love the feel of this movie, I think because it was filmed on location. I am very fond of of the scences where Jane is showing the reporter around town.

I would rate this film between excellent and good (except I wasn't able to vote.
The Doris Day Show

howard
Special Contributer

first things first

Unread post by howard » 07 Jan 2006, 19:14

I LOVE "It Happened to Jane." Doris and Jack are so good together ... Doris once said they just bounced off of one another. It's too bad they didn't do another film together ... they had "it." It also has one of my favorite Doris scenes ... she climbs up on top of the train ... uses her feminine wiles (in a most charming way) to get Lemmon to propose to her ... and then screams out: "Oh George, you proposed!" I laugh every time I see that ... it's a wonderful bit. About the picture of Doris with Jack. It was shot in Dodo's house (Beverly Hills) and the two were there to meet with photographer Bob Willoughby who was shooting pictures of the pair for ads in the re-release entitled "Twinkle and Shine." (I won't swear to this story, but I remember reading it somewhere).

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken » 07 Jan 2006, 21:34

I'd rate this as good. Doris and Jack made a good team. I enjoyed the movie very much. Too bad they couldn't find a better title.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Jane

Unread post by ray » 08 Jan 2006, 11:38

Doris and Jack did look so good together, wish they had done another movie. Liked the scenes In "Jane,' going on the TV shows of the era to stop Ernie Kovacs from taking over and tying to destroy her lobster buisness,

TheQueenofSheeba

Unread post by TheQueenofSheeba » 10 Mar 2007, 07:53

This is another one of Doris's films I have seen so far and although I am rather enthralled by films involving justice I cannot say that this film was the best I had ever seen. It was watchable and I didn't want to turn it off but I am glad I was tired when I watched it and didn't want anything amazing to happen or I think I would have been very disappointed, but that's just my opinion and I do know that some of you on here will love this film. So I apologise if I upset anyone.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 11 Mar 2007, 10:19

Don't apologize. You have to remember we are die hard Doris fans. This isn't one of her best films but it's likeable. However, when I comment on a film, I usually watch it at least twice. I think what you expect and what mood you are in often have an effect on how you feel about a film.
The Doris Day Show

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 12 Mar 2007, 06:49

I, too, LOVE "It Happened to Jane" - in fact, I loved it so much that as a freshman in high school, I was known as Jane Osgood - when I look back at the year books, I see most of the entries were "To Jane Osgood...Doris Day's greatest fan."

Doris said that she loved the East Coast and the area where she filmed the movie - it was a fun time for her and she was very happy doing this film.

I thought DOris and Jack Lemmon were great together - he made her laugh and it showed.

Did you know that Terry was in that film - when they are in the court room and you hear a man's voice ask "What are you going to do, George?" That is Terry!

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to the topic!

Mary Anne

webmaster

It Happened to Jane

Unread post by webmaster » 12 Mar 2007, 07:52

She sure looks happy there!

http://dorisday.net/it_happened_to_jane.html

This is one of her films I'm not very familiar with - I saw it once on TV a long time ago and don't remember it very well. It's hardly even on TV now but it's been well received and generally highly praised.

The BBC said:

"This bright and breezy comedy from the quirky, witty and underrated director Richard Quine stars Doris Day as the "Jane from Maine" who becomes a national heroine when she sues Ernie Kovacs's grasping railroad boss for putting her lobster farm at risk.

Jack Lemmon is on hand as Day's feckless lawyer, but the movie is stolen by Kovacs, whose performance, with hindsight, is clearly a caricature of legendary Columbia Studios head, Harry Cohn. (Did he get the joke?) Despite Doris, this isn't a musical — more a delightful blend of Ealing comedy and Capra-esque social satire."
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 12 Mar 2007, 21:07

Just a little bit of trivia - the "soda fountain" that Doris is standing behind was the beautiful bar that George Montgomery, Dinah Shore's husband ,hand made for Doris and Marty at their home on Crescent Drive in Beverly Hills. It was always a soda fountain and a fun place in her lovely living room. Spent time there and she was very proud of that piece of work.

Mary Anne

It's Magic

Unread post by It's Magic » 13 Mar 2007, 15:49

doris-day-fan wrote:Just a little bit of trivia - the "soda fountain" that Doris is standing behind was the beautiful bar that George Montgomery, Dinah Shore's husband ,hand made for Doris and Marty at their home on Crescent Drive in Beverly Hills. It was always a soda fountain and a fun place in her lovely living room. Spent time there and she was very proud of that piece of work.

Mary Anne
How neat! Thank you so much fir sharing! :D

This film is probably my favorite of all Doris' films besides Send Me No Flowers. I love it. I'm also a big Lemmon fan, so this was a rare treat for me.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 13 Mar 2007, 19:56

Sweet, sweet movie. Very Capra-esque. I really wished Jack and Doris had worked together again. They were great together.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 13 Mar 2007, 23:32

Did you know that Terry was in that film - when they are in the court room and you hear a man's voice ask "What are you going to do, George?" That is Terry!

Interesting facts, Maryann. I hope you include them in your book.

Something that always impressed me about IHTJ It was made in the 50's, set in the 50's, and filmed on location. The extras seemed to be from the area. This gives it a realistic quaility that you don't always see in films from the 50's.
The Doris Day Show

Natalier

it happened to Jane.

Unread post by Natalier » 14 Mar 2007, 15:48

i thought it happened to Jane is a good film. It showed Doris in a different light from her musicals she had done.
Its a great feeling

helen1985

Unread post by helen1985 » 22 Mar 2007, 07:25

Thanks for that picture Brian, Doris looks so pretty and happy!!

I love this film too, and I also wish she had worked with Jack lemmon again, its nice to see Marty getting along with her co-star for a change!

Jas1
Honorary Member

What might have been....

Unread post by Jas1 » 22 Mar 2007, 09:07

I know I have said this before, so forgive me if you have read it - however, I would have loved Doris to have done the part with Jack Lemon in 'The Apartment' - magnificent as Shirley McClaine was. That realism, Doris never really got to do post- 'Pillow Talk' but she would have been wonderful as the jaded elevator girl struggling with the wrong guy, and in the end, getting Mr L - who was a dish too in this day! Doris has said several times too - notably at the 1987 Convention, she regreted never getting to work with the really great directors, such as Billy Wilder - although she went on to note she did work with Hithcock.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 01 May 2007, 18:20

Growing up I always loved this movie when it was on TV. I think Doris and Jack Lemmon are great together. And Doris is determined, independent, fighting for whats right. I know it always gets a lot of criticism -- but I like it. I always enjoy it when I watch it. But then - I just love Doris !!

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD » 01 May 2007, 22:29

I read in the other forum that Doris's mother was also in the picture. She was the lady in the blue dress next to the car when Jane and George came back to the court house and found out that he had been elected.
I like to watch this film.
Barb

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 01 May 2007, 22:49

That's interesting Barb, I'll have to watch IHTJ again. Love the pictures Dayniac.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 03 May 2007, 17:48

Thanks for all the interesting tidbits about Doris and the movie. I'm going to have to watch it again to spot Terry and Alma ! How neat !!
And I love the story about the soda fountain bar.

Thanks !!

webmaster

Pics

Unread post by webmaster » 02 Jun 2007, 19:35

Was that a live lobster? I've always refused to eat lobster because they are boiled alive.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 04 Jun 2007, 17:41

It makes me sick to think about it ! How can anyone do that ??
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Sheila

Photograph

Unread post by Sheila » 04 Jul 2007, 16:30

I enjoyed watching It happened to Jane. I still haven't managed to spot Terry or Alma,I'll have to watch it again. :lol:

Opelske

Unread post by Opelske » 30 Mar 2008, 14:49

Loved it!

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Re:

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 23 Jul 2008, 05:48

I've just seen that one yesterday and OMG I totally fell in love with it. It got up there right away in my favorite DD movies list! I ADORE IT! SOOOOOOOO cute!!! Ooooohhh aren't Doris and Jack Lemmon a wonderful team - why oh WHYY haven't they done more!! Jack Lemmon was just the cutest - I've loved hin since I've seen THE APARTMENT (cute movie too) - he can be so funny but also very serious .. and he was the nicest man I've heard. I was heartbroken when he died :cry: :cry: He and Doris are just perfect together - same comedic timing - perfect - I loved it when Jack had to rescue Sam - running out *lol*to funny ....
"how do you keep up those stockings? Willpower?" hehehe - lol. I can't believe I haven't seen that one before ... although deep deep down I remember something about lobsters - maybe I have :D
Anyway I rated it excellent - i love it!!!!!!
oh something I wondered about though ... the title.... WHAT is it they mit with It happened to Jane ??? :?: