It Happened to Jane

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "It Happened to Jane"?

Poor
No votes
Average
8%
Good
52%
Excellent
41%

Total votes: 66

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Re: It Happened to Jane

Unread post by suzie » 06 Sep 2008, 08:50

This movie had a much better script than "the ballad of josie ", but did anyone notice the simularity between the two films ? Local sheep rancher takes on the establishment, and local lobster harvestor takes on the establishment ? The general public wasnt too thrilled with this movie either. I loved this movie as aposed to tboj,I enjoyed tboj , but then im a die hard fan of doris. Ive heard that doris thought this movie was a good movie and she didnt know why it wasnt more popular.
A life lesson for all of us. Just because your current movie isnt well excepted and life seems a bit unfair, dont be down hearted because YOUR PILLOW TALK may be waiting just around the corner. :wink: 8)
suzie

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv » 06 Sep 2008, 15:57

To this day, I cannot believe this movie was not a blockbuster. It had everything going for it.
(Well..maybe not some great songs...thanks to Marty Melcher).
I mean, come on: Lemmon and Kovacs and Day...The Masters of Comedy.
A good script, great filming, the lobster bits, Doris as a mom with cute kids.
Even a secondary love scene with the 2nd or 3rd banana.
They said it was the title...I can't believe it.

lab

Unread post by lab » 09 Oct 2008, 10:16

I was 4 years old when this movie came out in the theater. I actually didn't see it until last year when I ran across it in the public library collection. We enjoyed watching it, but I thought the train sequence was a little long. The lobster was really cute. It is amazing that this movie was not at least a mild hit, but I am glad they transferred it to video.

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 09 Oct 2008, 12:22

I think it was really mostly the title - I still don't know *what* exactly happened to Jane :?: Stupid title!
I think "That Jane from Maine" would have been much better....

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree » 11 Jan 2009, 13:19

I have many Doris movies on my Netflix list, and I'll come over here to let you know how I feel about each one.
I made a post called, "My Doris Fix" and this was the movie I watch to get my fix! I loved watching Doris in this movie, but over all, I didn't like this movie very much. Pretty silly I think. But movies in that era were like that some of the time. But, no matter what, Doris Day is always number one in my book!! :D

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by ray » 30 Jul 2009, 00:45

Watched Jane again tonight and saw Terry in the town hall balcony, will have to watch it again to see Alma. Thats a fun fact to know about them both having a small part in the movie. Thanks mary Anne for that tibit. I can watch DD movies over and over and enjoyed seeing Doris and Jack lemmon together, a nice screen couple and also wished they did something else that would showcase this!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 30 Jul 2009, 14:56

Wow Ray, I've never caught that. Great find!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree » 31 Jul 2009, 00:19

I never caught that! I'll have to watch it again. This was the second DD movie I've ever seen, and now I've seen 38 of the 39 movies!! :D

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk » 12 Oct 2009, 00:58

suzie wrote: A life lesson for all of us. Just because your current movie isnt well excepted and life seems a bit unfair, dont be down hearted because YOUR PILLOW TALK may be waiting just around the corner. :wink: 8)
Suzie, I love that quote!! So true. :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 31 Dec 2009, 10:08

This is a movie that is very rarely shown on the television . I would love to see it again. I heard here on the forum that Terry had a line in the movie, so I would love to see it for that reason. It has been many years sinse I have seen this movie.
suzie

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 02 Jan 2010, 21:27

I always loved It Happened to Jane - what is really interesting is that the current version on DVD does not have Doris singing Be Prepared??? Why, I wonder. And yes, Suzie, Terry can be seen briefly in the balcony in the town hall saying something like "What about you George?" Doris was great in this movie - and she looked so pretty. Mickey Rooney's son was also in the movie as one of the boy scouts. In high school I was known as "Jane Osgood" because everyone knew that I was a big DD fan.
Happy New Year everyone!!!!
"The BEST is yet to come."

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlegoldfish666 » 11 Feb 2010, 16:42

Got this movie today and just finished watching it. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Jack Lemmon is always a hoot and Doris is as lovely as ever. And the guy that played Malone, ooh he does mean so well ;)

I felt a little sorry for George, you could see a mile away he was smitten....Oh boy, did I just say smitten :o

fumette

Unread post by fumette » 23 May 2010, 09:31

Just a comment. When I was 15........I am now 66, part of this movie was being made in New Haven, CT. The location was In a railroad yard next to the Seamless Rubber Co. on Hallock Avenue where I lived. I went to see what was going on. I saw Doris Day, Jack Lemon and Ernie Kovacs and was able to get in to talk to them. Doris told me that I could stay on the set if I carried her chair to whereever she moved. So I did and felt very, very important being with the actors and having my friends see me. I never forgot the day that Doris Day made me feel so important.

Thank You Doris,

Lawrence B LaBrecque
Ocala, FL

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 29 Jun 2010, 18:50

Has this movie been released to DVD yet ?
suzie

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 29 Jun 2010, 19:51

Suzie,
Yes this has been released, but someone said one version does NOT have any songs???? Who on earth ever OKd that version...Be Prepared is not in that version - a cute song Doris sang to the cub scouts.

Still wonder why this movie was re-released as Twinkle and Shine????

Mary Anne

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 02 Jul 2010, 13:11

It was re-released as "Twinkle and Shine" to hopefully, cash in on Doris and Jack's new-found popularity after "Pillow Talk," and "The Apartment." It was a failure at the box office as "It Happened to Jane," so Columbia tried unsuccessfully to make a success of it.
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 03 Jul 2010, 11:52

A few photos:

In "Jane" look on TV's "I've Got A Secret"
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk » 15 Jul 2010, 01:24

Those are great!! :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 03 Oct 2011, 18:16

ImageImage
Greetings from Polish :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 05 Oct 2011, 17:21

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Have a nice day :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

DayDreamer
Forum Friend

Unread post by DayDreamer » 05 Jan 2012, 20:51

I just watched the movie for the first time, it was nice. Doris probably enjoyed this one too, with most of the scenes being filmed outside.

31 down, 8 more to go; there is no hurry though. :)
Would you please get off this line!

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin » 19 Jun 2012, 10:53

DayDreamer wrote:I just watched the movie for the first time, it was nice. Doris probably enjoyed this one too, with most of the scenes being filmed outside.

31 down, 8 more to go; there is no hurry though. :)
I have just seen it again and I love it...

ecbot

Unread post by ecbot » 25 Jun 2012, 00:26

It Happened to Jane was filmed in my home town of Chester, Ct when I was about 9 year old. For those commenting on the title - the struggled with a good title. Jane from Maine was the pick for a while.

A little trivia -

The did use a lot of locals for extras. The cub scouts were my classmates in elementary school. The stage where Jack Lemmon gave his big speech is inside the "Old Meeting House" built in 1793, http://historicbuildingsct.com/?p=1966

The Maine harbor was really Jennings Pond and they brought in 30' boats and anchored them in the pond to make it look like a harbor - http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41 ... 1&t=h&z=18

In the final scenes, Old 97 is in a little park. That engine was not the real engine but was built out of wood just for that scene. Don't know what ever happened to it. The little park was in downtown Chester and the land was owned by a guy that owned a liquor store. After the movie was finished, he tore up the park, much to the chagrin of the residents, and paved it over for a parking lot.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41 ... 54,,0,8.45

I'll have to find my DVD, watch it again to see if any other memories are triggered.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 25 Jun 2012, 20:45

Welcome and thanks!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 25 Jun 2012, 21:02

Thanks for a little triva on "It Happened to Jane" and welcome to the Forum.... one of the titles, "That Jane from Maine" was recorded - not sure if DD did it, but somewhere I have the large disc on this. Also, did you know you could hear Terry call out, "What are you going to do George" in one scene in the court house? Doris loved the area and enjoyed her time there. In high school I was such a DD fan that many inscriptions in my yearbook that year were addressed to Jane Osgood!!!

Jane Osgood aka Mary Anne