It Happened to Jane

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "It Happened to Jane"?

Poor
No votes
Average
8%
Good
52%
Excellent
41%

Total votes: 66

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: It Happened to Jane

Unread post by webmaster » 25 Jun 2012, 21:21

One of the titles, "That Jane from Maine" was recorded - not sure if DD did it.
Yes, she did, MA, It's on here somewhere, Howard sent it to me, also "Twinkle and Shine", another title change - will hunt them out later - 2am in London. The fog is enveloping.... :)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 26 Jun 2012, 17:50

Mrs Preston...Mrs Preston.....!!!!!

ecbot

Unread post by ecbot » 27 Jun 2012, 12:57

Think I'll call this "then and now" instead of trivia...although one piece of trivia is that the story I heard at the the time was that Essex, Ct was to be the location for this film. The story goes that a wrong turn was taken by someone, they ended up in Chester and loved it. I don't know if true or not.

I found some photos on the web of parts of Chester... A google look at the United Church.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=chester,+ ... 42,,0,0.87
In the movie, it was filmed from the far left side. The parking lot has since been paved but if you watch the movie again, note the difference in the area between the church and the parking lot.

In this photo, http://lh6.ggpht.com/-WXsQmuAd2J4/SPvrm ... G_1087.JPG you're at the steps to Aaron Caldwell's store. The other building (where the man is standing) was the location of the telephone switchboard. It was on the second floor with the entrance on the side opposite. Also, do you remember when they were collecting coal for Old 97 and a pickup truck came barreling down the road and into town? That road used to be where the handicap parking sign is now.

Cemetery scene. There were Boyds living in Chester and there were people called Josiah but I don't believe there was anybody called Josiah Boyd. The cemetery they are standing in is called "The Old Burying Grounds". http://lh4.ggpht.com/-3m2wGPEpqJ8/SPvnW ... G_1047.JPG It was Chester's first cemetery. If you looked at the headstones in this cemetery, you would quickly realize that Josiah Boyd's headstone is a prop. It is too new looking and the writing too clear. Many of the headstones in that cemetery date back to 1700's and are so weathered that you can barely read the inscriptions.

George's law office: http://lh5.ggpht.com/-nFv7L4W60B0/SPvrk ... G_1086.JPG Second floor of the tallest building in the photo. I remember seeing klieg lights set up at the right side of this photo.

In my other post, I linked to a photo of the meeting house where many of the scenes took place on the stage. This photo http://lh3.ggpht.com/-x6rk21c7b4w/SPvrO ... G_1056.JPG was taken with their back to the meeting house (We also called it the town hall). The gazebo and park benches weren't there at the time. I have only gotten one autograph in my life and that was from Doris Day. She was standing right about where the park benches on the left were. It took me about about 10 minutes to get up the courage to ask for her autograph and it came out like this: "Would you sign this?" Hey, I was only 9.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin » 27 Jun 2012, 20:21

Thank you for the gorgeous photos and the time to write history and descriptions. I'd love to live there. May have to if Colorado continues to burn down.

Lauren

ecbot

Unread post by ecbot » 27 Jun 2012, 20:35

Thanks Lauren although I was lucky enough to find the photos that someone else posted. But, this little exercise has got me thinking about going back for a visit again.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 29 Jun 2012, 18:35

As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 29 Jun 2012, 19:50

As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

ralphm1999

Unread post by ralphm1999 » 20 Oct 2012, 20:01

Now that I've surfed some pages in this forum, I have a renewed obsession to watch or re-watch Doris Day in the 50s era. This one enchanted me to where I have to make a comment or two.

I always enjoy the David and Goliath theme when it is well done as is the case in this movie. In fact it is really the only theme. Jack Lemmon is too much of a Chaplinesque comedy figure to inspire any romantic entanglement... I'm glad that Steve Forrest was not portrayed as a serious partner either as that would have detracted from the Doris Day/Ernie Kovacs protagonists. Ernie Kovacs was the perfect Goliath to frame the sensitive yet strong character that Doris Day portrayed.

The movies of the 50s were so much fun then and now. Of course this kind of simplistic idyllic country life would not be acceptable on today's reality crazed stage.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin » 21 Oct 2012, 01:40

anialek36 wrote:ImageImage
Greetings from Polish :D Ania
Thank you dear..very much

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin » 20 Jul 2013, 12:26

Doris Martin wrote:
anialek36 wrote:ImageImage
Greetings from Polish :D Ania
Thank you dear..very much
I have just seen it again..Wonderful she looks fantastic

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 05 Oct 2013, 15:10

After watching It Happened to Jane with the family on TCM yesterday, we all remarked that this film is truly underappreciated. It sparkles with really good performances and a charming feel-good story. Doris, Jack and Ernie play beautifully with each other. it is really a well done film.

I hope more people get to see this gem.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 06 Oct 2013, 18:47

I have never been able to get into this movie. What is wrong with me?

Maybe I need to try it a third time.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 07 Oct 2013, 12:38

Michael - while this film is not on my z list - such as Tunnel of love; Where were you...etc, it is not a fav of mine either.

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane » 26 Jan 2014, 14:14

mikeydv wrote:To this day, I cannot believe this movie was not a blockbuster. It had everything going for it.
(Well..maybe not some great songs...thanks to Marty Melcher).
I mean, come on: Lemmon and Kovacs and Day...The Masters of Comedy.
A good script, great filming, the lobster bits, Doris as a mom with cute kids.
Even a secondary love scene with the 2nd or 3rd banana.
They said it was the title...I can't believe it.
Mike,
I just read your post about this movie and I agree totally. It had everything going for it - except maybe Marty and his songs. But the songs weren't awful and they were sung by Doris. Maybe the marketing was just bad. I thought it was a pretty cute movie.
Cheers,
Jill
"Someone drops a sigh and down you tumble"

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 26 Jan 2014, 14:23

I like the title song … I think it's catchy!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 27 Jul 2015, 18:18

I looked at It Happened To Jane again last week and am still moved by it's enduring charm and great humour. How many films do we see where there (Old 97) is a train featured?

Ernie Kovacs is hysterical in this film and makes us all laugh out loud.

Doris and Jack Lemmon have great chemistry. I think Jack is at his most likable in this film. He often seemed to play irritable or irritating characters in many of his films. He was sensational in Some Like It Hot with Marilyn Monroe.

It is a great family film to this day. It does not seem to paly often on television.

It Happened To Jane deserves a better place in classic films. It deserves to be remembered as a really good Doris Day film.
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 28 Jul 2015, 10:30

"It Happened to Jane" is loaded with charm. Good script, great chemistry between Doris and Jack Lemmon (they are perfect together) and Ernie Kovacs really is brilliant in his role. P.S. Bryan: Thanks for the "thanks."
Like Irene Dunne done.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 28 Jul 2015, 12:02

A year or two back, "It Happened to Jane" was selected by my class from a list of five films to be shown at the final session. Watching it will more than 2 dozen people, most of whom had never seen it, was a real indicator as to what a gem the film is. It doesn't feel dated in the least and should have been an enormous success when it was released.

I think the biggest single problem with the film is the title. As "It Happened to Jane", "That Jane from Maine" or "Twinkle and Shine" it says nothing that would give an indication as to what the film is about or create a curiosity for a filmgoer. I find it impossible to understand why someone in the marketing department at Columbia could not come up with something better.

After viewing it the question most asked by the class was "Why is it called that?"

It's a beautifully acted, wonderfully directed and visually stunning film that deserved wider recognition and a better reputation because it really plays to all of Miss Day's strengths as an actress.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 28 Jul 2015, 12:20

As I recall it, Columbia Pictures had little confidence in the film, and did not treat it as a first-class release. Here in New York, major studio releases get premiered in New York City. IHTJ was released on a double bill with a Charlton Heston throw-away film at a Brooklyn movie house. It got little fan-fare, and the rest is history. I agree Paul, it is a delight. One of my favorites! P.S. And I LOVE Doris' natural look in the film ... I felt as if I was looking, not at Doris Day the big movie star, but simply Dodo, a natural beauty!
Like Irene Dunne done.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 28 Jul 2015, 12:29

I agree completely Howard. A shame they didn't open it as the Easter attraction at Radio City Music Hall because it would have been a natural and might have helped launch it better.

The double bill with a Charlton Heston film reminds me of what Universal did almost ten years later when they released "The Ballad of Josie" as the lower half of a double bill with Heston's "Counterpoint" with Vincent Canby in his NY TImes review noting:

AT neighborhood theaters yesterday, Universal Pictures opened a double bill of "Counterpoint," a World War II action drama starring Charlton Heston and Maximilian Schell, and "The Ballad of Josie," a comedy Western starring Doris Day. Both look as if they had been manufactured on the company's back lot to give Universal City tourists something to gawk at.

"Josie" like "Jane" would have probably done better with its prior title, "Meanwhile Back at the Ranch". In fact Screen Stories Magazine when they ran their story on the film, used the "Meanwhile......" as the film's title. Originally called "The Epic of Josie", it was wisely changed to "Meanwhile..." but then rechristened "The Ballad of Josie" and it seemed that nobody really cared.

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 29 Jul 2015, 21:47

Here's more trivia on title changes for "It Happened To Jane." Aside from the ones already mentioned two other proposed titles were "Miss Casey Jones" and "The Wreck of the Old 97" as reported in movie magazines at the time.
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 30 Jul 2015, 07:51

Radio Times (London): "This bright and breezy comedy from the quirky, witty and underrated director Richard Quine stars Doris Day as the "Jane from Maine" who becomes a national heroine when she sues Ernie Kovacs' grasping railroad boss for putting her lobster farm at risk.
Jack Lemmon is on hand as Day's feckless lawyer, but the movie is stolen by Kovacs, whose performance, with hindsight, is clearly a caricature of legendary Columbia Studios head, Harry Cohn. (Did he get the joke?) Despite Doris, this isn't a musical — more a delightful blend of Ealing comedy and Capra-esque social satire."
I like, "A delightful blend of Ealing comedy and Capra-esque social satire."
This is a charming film. Jack Lemmon is marvelous as the young lawyer who secretly loves Doris Day. This was a magic pairing that warranted repeating with both stars saying they would like to have worked together again. Lemmon had tremendous words of praise for Day as an actress and she of him, calling Jack the "consummate actor". Ernie Kovacs, in one of his rare film roles, was gruff and funny as Malone. He made the best of this role, but didn't get the opportunity to make many more films... Richard Quine's direction was right on the money with a dandy screenplay by Norman Katkor. Doris Day sang the title song, "It Happened to Jane" and "Be Prepared." - Ralph McKnight, New York, July 2000
For the life of me I can't think of an alternative title!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 30 Jul 2015, 15:51

In this film Doris had what she wanted in real life. A family and husband. I my opinion she DID have all that with Marty Melcher. Almost twenty years together. The marriage at first was grand with Terry and her Mother and the good life. Even when the marriage was in the arranged status they still cared for each other and Marty was with Doris till he died. Terry and Alma has a sort spot in It Happened to Jane. Maybe it should have been called Love train!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 30 Jul 2015, 16:11

"The Love Train" would have been good! Sexier than "The Lobster Train".

What about "That Lobster From Maine"? "Calamity Maine"?", "Midnight Lobster"? "The Lobster Game"? "With Two You Get Lobster"? "Where Were You When The Lobster's Lights Went Out"? :?

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 30 Jul 2015, 17:56

Just returned from the Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills. Thought I'd check out their library and see what there is to see on Doris. They've got a few t.v. episodes on file, her two specials, a couple of Academy appearances (same ones that are on YouTube), and one surprise! In 1958, Mitch Miler hosted a radio show on the CBS Radio Network entitled "Sunday Evening with Mitch Miller." In this particular episode he had Doris, Jack Lemmon, Danny Thomas and music composer Alfred Newman as his guests. On the show Jack was quoted as saying: "She's the best actress I ever worked with." High praise, indeed from an actor who knows good acting when he sees it!
Like Irene Dunne done.