The Ballad of Josie

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "The Ballad of Josie"?

Poor
16%
Average
36%
Good
36%
Excellent
11%

Total votes: 44

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

The Ballad of Josie

Unread post by webmaster »

What did you think of The Ballad of Josie?

Doris and Peter Graves clowing around on the set.

http://www.dorisday.net/ballad_of_josie.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Josie isn't one of Doris's best films, but I think it is still worth watching. I thought everyone did a good job of acting, but the script was weak. Production quailitiy was low. It did seem like a TV western.

My favorite scene in the movie was when Peter Graves takes her to his former burned out cabin, and tells her not to give up, despite opposition He recalls the first time he saw her.

I think this film is average
The Doris Day Show

Jas1
Honorary Member

Josie Jeans

Unread post by Jas1 »

I gave this an 'average' rating although rather unfairly as I have only seen it once - a looooong time ago! Doris looked good though in the bluejeans!

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

Not one of my favorites but I rate this as good.Entertaining movie with a good cast.

Vicki M

Josie

Unread post by Vicki M »

I rated this movie as "average" for a Doris Day movie. But I think the average Doris Day movie is better than most any other movie out today. I actually start to like this movie a little more each time I watch it.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

I have to agree with you, Vicki. I have watched this movie three times now, and I have say I love Doris' performance in this. I think she is very convincing as a mother trying to regain custody of her little boy. She tries to get a job and confronts all kinds of problems Finally she tries her hand at raising sheep. When she realizes this is going to cause a war between cattlemen, she has real concern that someone will get killed.
I heard that Doris didn't care for this film, but it doesn't show in her performance. I have seen clips of Peter Graves talking about Doris, and I think that they must have become life long friends after this film.

This film deals with two popular topics of American films from the sixties: the western frontier and womens rights. It throws in a little history of the Wyoming territory becoming a state and the problems of grazing sheep and cattle in the same area.

One critic that I have little regard for, said that this was Doris Day's version of Cat Balou. There are no similarities in these two films except that they are both westerns. I wish Josie had as high production values as Cat...

I still don't like the opening music (not Doris) and the cue stick bludgoning trial.(just a little too silly). It might have made a good family film if Doris and company didn't say "damn" about four times, lol.
The Doris Day Show

ray
I danced with Doris!

Ballard Of Josie

Unread post by ray »

Lauren and Howard will remember that Michael Doyle who organized the 1987 convention with Doris, Loved the Ballard of Josie. He mentioned it so much at the convention Doris looked at him and said enought with Josie!LOL! Or somehting to that effect. But its true even the worst movie can be someone's favorite. Nothing is either good or bad and Doris said that she receives mail about a certain film she did not care for but brought joy to someone else.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

This wasn't so bad...

Unread post by Ralph »

If you read my review of The Ballad of Josie, you'll know that I sort of liked this picture. Day hated it, but enjoyed the camaraderie with her fellow actors. She felt guilty for getting them involved in this movie and felt that they and she deserved better.

Regardless, if you can ignore the critics and just look at the movie, it had continuity, good supporting players, nice scenery and a damned good performance by Doris Day, who gave 110% in a movie that she was reluctant to make. It wasn't the first time, remember Lucky Me? Many of Doris' fans loved it, she didn't.

In Josie, Doris didn't fall back into "Laurie Tuttle" or "Candy Williams." Her character was consistent and Doris never broke character. She had convinction and played it straight. Plus, didn't she look fantastic in those tight jeans?

I loved her scenes with George Kennedy and the give and take at Peter Graves' dinner party with the likes of Andy Devine, Paul Fix, David Hartman. I think Universal was wrong to release this movie as a twofer. It opened all over the country as a double feature along with a Charlton Heston flick, at least in New York.

I also loved the "feel good" ending, when Kennedy was forced to concede. Day looked genuinely moved.

It was also nice of Doris to welcome Diana Ross to the set. She was a big fan of Day's movie and singing career.

ray
I danced with Doris!

The Ballard Of Josie

Unread post by ray »

I remember how Mike Loved The Ballard Of Josie so much, he spoke of it much at the convention. Mike and you, Lauren did such a great job in organzing that magical first and only DD convention in June of 1987. To think it is twenty years ago, seems like yesterday we had that fantastci Day with Doris!

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Love the pictures, Tanja,

I never liked the wig, but when her hair got caught in the fly paper, I'm glad she had it on, Ha, Ha!

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Wow - that convention must have been wonderful. Sounds like a dream come true. You were lucky people to have attended and met with Doris. Thanks for sharing some of your memories with us.

Toni
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Hi - forgot to mention... I know DD didn't like this movie. But - in a way it went along with her independent, self sufficient woman she played in so many movies. She tough - she can start her own sheep operation, wear pants, shoot guns, out drink the guys. Only at the end did she cave in and leave when the fighting was starting and then give it all up to marry. Not one of my favorite movies but its entertaining and really did show her usual independent persona.

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Tanja, thanks for that poster. It gave me a good laugh. TBOJ had NOTHING to do with Texas. LOL!

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja »

Hi John,

I have to admit, that the film title is a little strange, but much better than the translation of "The Ballad of Josie". The German Translators had really bad taste, they gave most of her movies such silly names. :shock:

Tanja :P

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Italian poster

poster from Argentina

poster from Spain

closeup from Italian insert poster

British quad poster

Here are some other posters from around the world. The British and Italian insert poster really have a different look.
Interesting !
Toni

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Hmm, the Italian insert, and especially the British quad poster really enhances Doris' cleavage! LOL! :shock:

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Love the posters, lol, and I love the cute picture with the poodles.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

This is the first movie that I've only given a GOOD rating too, this is the first, and I hope last, Doris Day movie that I didn't imediatley fall in love with...

I just have 1 question...

Why did Josie marry the guy she was married to in the beginning in the first place??? Just wanted to know.. I was VERY disapointed that Doris did absolutley NO singing in this movie also
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell »

As much as I liked the older (Josie) version of Jumbo's Kitty Wonder, I can't rate this higher than poor. I may watch this sporadically but only for an aforementioned reason: because somehow I enjoy anything Doris is in - she can even make this bore of a movie, endurable.

I sense a "Barbarella goes west" feel to this psoter. :lol:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

The Poster is the best thing about the movie - Doris looks incredibly sexy in it!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Ya, I love the poster, and love Doris... just not the movie... lol
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Re: The Ballad of Josie

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

HEY I *just* finished watching this movie for the first time and I have to say I thought it was MUCH better than I thought it would be. I liked it very much! Wouldn't say its an excellent movie ... but I've seen a LOT worse of those westerns made during that period. I think Doris does a fine job (if you have in mind what roles she usually took) - I thought it was entertaining and funny. I don't neccesarily need Doris to sing in every movie either. YOU GO JOSIE - why SHOULDN'T SHE RAISE SHEEP as a woman!! *LOL*
As for why she married that husband of hers in the first place .... hmm....WELL this wouldn't be the first husband who completely changed and became violent and cruel during a marriage :?
Overall - GOOD movie - I rated it a very strong good ... kinda surprised myself really :D

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

It wouldn't be right to rate it as high as her top movies, but I like Doris' acting in the movie. I also like her co stars.
The Doris Day Show

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

I didn't like this movie. Doris was good as usual, but after playing career women, stylish mothers, groovy spys and generally modern women, this was such a departure. I don't like westerns to begin with and to have Doris in a western at this point was odd. There were a few fun moments, but by and large the script was awful. And that wig! :shock:

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Jake Iverson wrote:I didn't like this movie. Doris was good as usual, but after playing career women, stylish mothers, groovy spys and generally modern women, this was such a departure. I don't like westerns to begin with and to have Doris in a western at this point was odd. There were a few fun moments, but by and large the script was awful. And that wig! :shock:
ok the wig sucked!!! I'll agree to that!! WAY to much and way to much like a wig :roll:
BUT - maybe that was the point of the whole thing - that she did to many of those stylish career modern women - maybe she wanted to try somthing else for a change - must be kinda boring to always play the same kind of movie ... now western is not my favorite genre either - but there are some really great ones out there. I'm not saying BALL OF JOSIE is one of the great westerns .. aaaeehmm... NO .... I'm just saying that I enjoyed watching it - was fun to me *except for the wig* LOL