The Ballad of Josie

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "The Ballad of Josie"?

Poor
16%
Average
36%
Good
36%
Excellent
11%

Total votes: 44

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Re: The Ballad of Josie

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 22 Jul 2008, 21:19

I hate the wig too. But when she gets her hair stuck in the fly paper, I'm glad she had it on. lol
The Doris Day Show

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 23 Jul 2008, 05:38

Debbi Austen wrote:I hate the wig too. But when she gets her hair stuck in the fly paper, I'm glad she had it on. lol
*lol* right - that was funny .. and I so know how she felt - I got stuck in one too once - YUCK - you absolutely CANNOT get rid of it :roll: :roll: funny

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 04 Sep 2008, 19:19

I gave this movie a good rating. I was being kind :lol: . Tboj was a huge step down from pillow talk, her very best movie . It wasnt a bad movie, but it just wasnt a top of the line script either. Doris could hardly lift that shot gun, it most likely was heavier than she. Doris is so cute in this movie,just not too good of material to work with. As ive said before any movie with doris in it, is better than most. :wink:
suzie

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June » 04 Sep 2008, 20:27

I agree with you Suzie.
'
There was a great cast, as you said the script wasn't too good.
But Doris was in it so you have to like it.

Carol

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 05 Sep 2008, 06:50

I can't believe though that in 'Considering Doris Day' - the author rates this as a 'B' - the same as he rates 'Pillow Talk' - all subjective I guess but PT is an 'A' for me and this a 'C' - if that!

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 05 Sep 2008, 14:00

I agree with you 100% jas.. :?
suzie

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 05 Sep 2008, 16:53

Doris gave 100% in Josie, but I agree with Jas.
The Doris Day Show

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 05 Sep 2008, 19:07

If this had been an NBC movie of the week, it would have rated a B. But as a theatrical film release with a star of Doris' stature, it rates a C- at best. Not all that bad, but there is nothing fresh or clever about the film. It is formulaic from start to finish. Still, I give Doris and her strong supporting cast high marks for making "Josie" a guilty pleasure. And she does fill out a pair of jeans better than any other woman I know.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 06 Sep 2008, 05:51

I would also rate JOSIE a B - except for the horrid wig I REALLY like it - but then I would definitely rate PILLOW TALK an A - so I don't quite agree with the book :wink:

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Unread post by ellenarden » 15 Oct 2008, 19:42

I gave this a good for three reasons
1. It stars Doris Day
2. It's a western
3. It's co-star is Matt Dillon's little brother. Good looking in his own right.

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 16 Oct 2008, 16:57

ellenarden wrote:I gave this a good for three reasons
1. It stars Doris Day
2. It's a western
3. It's co-star is Matt Dillon's little brother. Good looking in his own right.

I didn't know about Nr. 3 - and I still haven't found Elizabeth Fraser in it *but* I'm glad finally someone who likes this movie again - I do too!!! I like it much better than I probably should :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Unread post by ellenarden » 16 Oct 2008, 20:01

I think I need to clarify my #3. I'm not referring to the actor Matt Dillon, I'm referring to the Marshall Matt Dillon. Played by James Arness who is Peter Graves' older brother.

I believe Elisabeth Fraser is one of the ladies at the boarding house.

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by ray » 17 Oct 2008, 20:56

Michael Doyle who organized the 1987 DD convention in Carmel loved The Ballard Of Josie. Doris said something to him jokingly to the effect, " You and The Ballard od Josie"! She was funny and so relaxed talking about some of her movies that special day. Michael did like Josie very much. I enjoy it too with the beautiful sceneary and Doris making any film she is in a delight. Diana Ross even visited her on that set.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 25 Oct 2008, 17:29

Ray, where have you been? Anyway, nice to hear from you again.
The Doris Day Show

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 27 Apr 2011, 10:50

The dvd of this film has finally been released. Here's the link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ballad-Josie-Dori ... 237&sr=1-4

Like Irene Dunne done.

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Unread post by lovemeorleaveme » 27 Apr 2011, 11:39

Thank you for the heads up, Howard! I just ordered my copy--and I can't wait to get it! :)

This means that I now only need three titles (Julie, Where Were You When the Lights Went Out, and Midnight Lace) to complete my collection. I so hope that these titles will be released soon!!

God Bless, and Have a Lovely "Day"! :)
Rachel

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 27 Apr 2011, 11:48

Thanks Howard.

Does the Vault Series mean it's been raised from the dead - or like a valued object removed from the safe? :wink:
What a difference a Day makes...

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 27 Apr 2011, 15:52

I was able to get Ballad in this region [UK/Ireland] several years ago in Dublin.

Calico
Forum Friend

Unread post by Calico » 13 Jul 2011, 20:21

I just recently received it in the mail and I guess I am in the minority, but I love Josie! Doris is of course is great, but so is Peter Graves. I think it is a great combo: romantic comedy, western and yet some substance with the way it begins. It of course, reminds you one of Doris's real life trauma which is sad, but I love the innocence and the ending is of course predictable, but lovable. I am tired of todays reality; Josie is just refreshing!!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 15 Jul 2011, 19:46

Yes, I know what you mean...

I saw it on TV ages ago - I missed the beginning - but it was very fresh and enjoyable. Perhaps people were expecting too much from Doris by this stage? It was just an enjoyable hour or so requiring a lot less effort than her sometimes big production films like "Calamity Jane", "Jumbo" etc. But, as has often been said, any film with Doris in it can't be all that bad. :)

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Calico
Forum Friend

Unread post by Calico » 16 Jul 2011, 10:29

Yes, Doris is magic!
Josie really reminds one of Doris real life. With domestic violence in the home and left alone with a son to raise, she surprises everyone with her fight and spunk.
And, thanks for the welcome, but I am Bixby reincarnated. I have been having all kinds of computer and internet problems and for some reason could no longer sign on as bixby.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 11 Sep 2014, 16:40

The Ballad of Josie is one of the last westerns seen on the big great starring a female as the central character. How many westerns were made with a female as the hero? As usual, Doris makes her brave stand against all the male villians. In all Doris' films, she stands up for women's rights. She eventually gets the best of all the male characters.

In her two films, Jule and Midnight Lace she appears to be the victim and certainly is frightened but she always prevails.

In Josie, she is bright and funny which makes this film entertaining.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 03 Oct 2015, 13:23

The original title for The Ballad of Josie was The Epic of Josie.

Doris took a refresher course in riding, roping, handling a six-shooter and a rifle. She practiced horseback riding on the beach in Malibu.

Jean Louis made Doris three pairs of pants for the film. One pair was for standing, the second pair was for sitting and the third pair was for Doris mounting her horse.

According to the book I read on Doris , 1500 sheep were hired for a film scene and the flock grew to 1525 by the ninth day of shooting the sequence

It had been fourteen years since Doris made the very successful Calamity Jane (1953). Variety reported that the ads for The Ballad of Josie were billed, Doris as (Calamity Josie) Day. The film was released in November 1967.

As with most of Doris' films, her character Josie was strong, bright, confident, self-respecting and could match or better the abilities of any male character. Doris was a feminist ( meaning equal in all respects) long before the word became part of American culture. I think this is true of Doris Day in her present life.

I think cinema history will take a second look at The Ballad of Josie and appreciate the film in a new light. At the time (1967) the film western was going, if not gone, out of fashion. Films such as The Graduate and Bonnie and Clyde were capturing the attention of the audience.

Johnny

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 03 Oct 2015, 14:26

Johnny - In between "The Epic of Josie" and "The Ballad of Josie", the film was called, "Meanwhile Back at the Ranch". In fact Screen Stories Magazine which would do features on new film releases, complete with pictures, cast information and the complete storyline, featured the film with its "Meanwhile Back at the Ranch" title. As I have mentioned elsewhere, at one point - very early in discussions - John Wayne was interested in co-starring. His good friend and frequent director Andrew V. McLaglen was directing and they envisioned it as a more "McLintock" type film - one of their great hits together. Unfortunately Marty and Attorney Rosenthal felt Wayne's asking price was too steep and would have prevented their profit participation from kicking in as quickly. In addition, Wayne's Batjac Productions would have co-produced and Marty didn't want that. The first teaming of Miss Day and Wayne (Wayne was willing to take second billing even though he was in the midst of a huge and renewed wave of popularity and was always guaranteed first billing) would have probably been hugely popular and might have proven a more balanced film since Wayne would have had his role fleshed out more. Unfortunately it never happened, a fact Wayne noted to Miss Day at the AFI Tribute to James Cagney in 1974, telling her how he'd always wanted to work with her.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 03 Oct 2015, 15:50

Thanks for that Johnny and Paul - have incorporated your (slightly edited) informative comments into the new page. Will share soon - almost there, well in about two weeks!

One question; Was this another film that Marty had signed her up to without consultation?