The Thrill of it All

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "The Thrill of it All"?

Poor
1%
Average
4%
Good
14%
Excellent
81%

Total votes: 77

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: The Thrill of it All

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin » 06 Dec 2013, 01:00

Well, I agree with my friend, Howard, and the rest of y'all. One of the best of all the comedies. Love "Glass Bottom Boat", too.

Lauren

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 06 Dec 2013, 08:13

I agree too about this film- and it is one people always remember = just the other day in work I was waxing lyrical about DD - her upcoming birthday etc - and a colleague said "I love the one with the suds..." = the children in this were a delight too and yes, Doris never looked better either and gave a top notch performance.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 06 Dec 2013, 12:07

It's a shame the Motion Picture Academy doesn't recognize a great comedic performance such as this one!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin » 06 Dec 2013, 12:09

howard wrote:It's a shame the Motion Picture Academy doesn't recognize a great comedic performance such as this one!
I QUITE AGREE<<<???

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 17 Oct 2014, 15:51

The Thrill Of It All is one of Doris' very best films. The theme of the film about a wife and mother becoming a TV celebrity in the world of asdvertizing making more money than her husband the Doctor is on the cutting edge of the feminist movement in the sixities. The world of sixties advertizing is still facinating in the outstanding series Mad Men.

The film is directed by skilled Canadian, Norman Jewison, who also directed Send Me No Flowers, (and Moonstruck with Cher). The bright and very funny script is by legend Carl Reiner.

The most telling line in the film occurs during an arguement between Doris' and James" characters, Beverly and Gerald. She says "What about my rights as a woman?". Her husband replies, "They suffocated my rights as a man. It isd time you give up yours and become a wife again". How amazing is that line in 1963? Some of these same arguements are still happening in 2014.

Let's hope some day, euality is a given for everyone, and can be reflected in films with a different dialogue.

This 1963 film is brilliant in exploring the theme through comedy and engaging audinces to think about equality. It is one of my favouite Doris Day films. Doris excels!
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 18 Oct 2014, 13:14

Agree 100% Johnny.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin » 18 Oct 2014, 13:16

Jas1 wrote:Agree 100% Johnny.
ME TOO.....

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 18 Oct 2014, 21:47

Me three! I thought the part where the housekeeper (Zasu Pitts, famous from the silent movie era) thought that James Garner was trying to get into bed with her when he woke her up in the early hours for a reason I forget, was very funny. :)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 » 27 May 2015, 19:31

I really love this movie! Doris was awesome in this movie. Its one of my favorites. She seemed very comfortable in her role as a mother. Doris is the best!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 29 May 2015, 14:58

The Thrill Of It All would play well today in a world that is overwhelmed with the advertising of millions of products. Doris' performance and the script are so bright and funny.

Human nature being what it is, I can see most spouses today being jealous of their mate being in the spotlight and making lots of money. Just look at the plethora of reality shows and gossip magazines we are subjected to every week.

Doris gives an award winning performance that was ahead of it's time in the Thrill of It all. It stills thrills us today.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 29 May 2015, 16:55

Agree with both of you! :)

Below is the scene I was talking about where Zasu Pitts thinks that James Garner is trying to get into bed with her! :lol:

Doris and James seem to have different things on their minds!

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin » 29 May 2015, 23:28

Bry~
These snap shots are gorgeous! I love snap shots. The photos are always something new and fun to see. Thanks for these!!

Lauren

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 » 31 May 2015, 15:26

I love The Thrill Of It All! It is my favorite Doris Day film. I think that Doris Day and James Garner had a certain chemistry. I think -Doris had the unusual ability to work well with all of her leading men. In my opinion there's not another actress if her caliber.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 31 May 2015, 17:44

I found this short video clip I took from "The Thrill of it All" some years ago on The Zasu Pitts / James Garner scene - on Daily Motion:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xadwk5 ... shortfilms

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 30 Oct 2015, 15:03

The original stars considered for the roles Arline Francis and Edward Andrews played as the expectant couple, the Fraleighs, in the Thrill Of It All were Jeannette Mac Donald and Nelson Eddy. Jeannette became ill and the idea was dropped.

Doris commented that after reading The Thrill Of It All, that it was her favourite script, right after Pillow Talk. She said that "Nothing has to be changed, not one word". It is another indication that Doris knew good script material when she read it. If only Melcher had the same talent.

The Thrill Of it All is a joy to watch and was away ahead of it's time in spoofing commercials on television. Doris timing in comedy is impeccable. The film needs to be appreciated in the context of it's period in film history. It is so bright and funny. James Garner was a perfect match in chemistry for Doris in this film.
Johnny

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 » 31 Oct 2015, 10:21

I absolutely love, love this Doris Day film! Doris was perfect in the role of Beverly Boyer. I love how she was so comfortable with her on screen children Bryan Nash and Kim Karath andI love the story line from this film. For me this is the perfect Doris Day movie!

Tybear

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 31 Oct 2015, 13:54

This may have been the last great script for Doris sad to say. Wonder how she felt about her tv series scripts? Whatever she made it all work.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 30 Jun 2016, 17:35

Information On Back of The Thrill of It All DVD Cover
Doris Day and James Garner star in this breezy comedy about what happens when your fifteen minutes of fame finally arrives - and turns your life upside down.
Doctor Gerald Boyer, (Garner), and his lovely wife Beverly, (Day), are living the American dream. But their suburban bliss turns to media-driven frenzy when Beverly is selected as the national advertising spokeswomen for "Happy Soap".
As her career begins to skyrocket, her neglected husband is increasingly put out by the fact when his family gets to see her - it's on TV.
Directed by Norman Jewison ,(Moonstruck), The Thrill Of It All is a brilliantly polished comedy jewel highlighted by a screenplay by comedy legend Carl Reiner.
Bonus Feature:
Origin Trailer

I saw The Thrill of It All on TCM recently and found this fifty-three year old film holds up really well. It is a timeless, intelligent, enjoyable classic that is one of Doris' greatest
films.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 03 Sep 2017, 12:14

The Thrill of It All - Fiorii celebrității (1963) - Film ___.jpg
The Thrill of It All was written by Carl Reiner and Larry Gelbert . Reiner originally had Judy Holliday in mind for the role of Beverley Boyer. Due to Judy's illness she was unable to accept the role.

The Thrill Of It All was the 16th highest grossing film of 1963. It grossed $11,779,093. Pillow Talk had grossed $18,750,000 - Lover Come Back grossed $16,937,969. Move Over Darling grossed $12,705,882.

The Thrill Of It All is a bright, inventive satire on the world of advertising and instant fame. Doris Day and James Garner are perfectly cast as the married couple with two children. As with many of Doris' other films there is a strong supporting cast of outstanding actors. Among them are ZaSu Pitts, Edward Andrews, Arline Francis, Reginald Owen, and Alice Pearce,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Thrill of It All on Blu-Ray

Unread post by howard » 16 Apr 2018, 10:26

"The Thrill of It All," one of Doris Day's very best comedies, is being released on Blu-Ray. Scheduled release date, according to Amazon, is April 17, 2018 (tomorrow).
Like Irene Dunne done.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 10 Oct 2018, 22:25

In Alan Gelb's book, The Doris Day Scrapbook. he makes the following comments about The Thrill of It All:

"Norman Jewison proved himself a good director of actors, and this skill is apparent in The Thrill of It All. Doris and James Garner have a good deal of chemistry together,(Garner in fact , credits Doris as "the Fred Astaire of comedy", in the Hotchner book). There was also a great cast of supporting actors: Edward Andrews, Alice Pearce, Elliott Reid, and ZaSu Pitts.And particularly delightful as a late-in-life
mother was television's Arlene Francis, who just a few years before had made a similar impact in One, Two, Three. The Thrill of It All was a smash at the box office and justified Doris' position as the world's number one box office draw, a berth she had her occupied for several years by then.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 11 Oct 2018, 05:26

Jean Louis did some amazing costumes for DD in this one - just perfection with that new modern [60s] look starting to creep in.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 16 Oct 2018, 03:36

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xadwk5

Funny scene from The Thrill of it All by yours truly. James Garner, Zusu Pitts, Doris Day :lol:

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 17 Oct 2018, 00:00

Hard to beat these 3 great comedy "reactors." Thanks, Brian!

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 17 Oct 2018, 09:32

Debbie Reynolds wrote that Carl Reiner gave her the script after Judy Holliday fell out of it. He handed to her when they filmed The Gazebo in 1959. Reynolds, for reasons that I cannot recall at the moment, passed on the film and suggested Doris Day instead. According to Reynolds, anyway.

This is one of Doris' best and brightest comedies. And it has aged quite well. The satire on television, ad agencies and overnight fame still apply today.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."