The Thrill of it All

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "The Thrill of it All"?

Poor
1%
Average
4%
Good
14%
Excellent
81%

Total votes: 77

miss maxwell
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by miss maxwell » 04 Nov 2007, 11:51

I haven’t got anything to say that hasn’t been said already. The two movies Doris did with James Garner are among my all time favorites. I can’t decide wich one I like better! One day it’s The thrill of it all, the other it’s Move over darling. Doris and James is brilliant, funny, sweet, so appropriate to portrait a married couple in love that has its tender and mad moments too! In fact they’re so good, it makes you wish they had done more movies together [didn’t they say so themselves too?].

I love the romantic moments as well as the slapstick ones. There’s some funny dialogue too - oh and I almost forgot! I just love love love it when Doris gets mad. “Oooh!”. :lol: Or the stamping… Hilarious. Then it’s the children – they might be the most darling children I’ve seen on film – ever.
“Why is daddy yelling at mommie?"
"Because mommie wants to be a tv star and daddy won’t let her."
"Oh, dad’s mean!”

I could just eat them up!

Another thing I love is…:
Beautiful outfit and timeless I might add – 44 tears later, I’d wear it without a second thought! Of course Doris’ flawless shape makes it look ever better.

The plot at some point has a little a whole for me, the thing with the photo/lipstick/”Gloria” is just overlooked towards the end although its goal, which was for Beverly to get jealous, is certainly reached. :lol: But there’s no mention of it nowhere, no ‘clearing up’, do you know what I mean?

Anyway, I could watch this movie over and over again and never get bored. It gets an ‘excellent’ from me. Thanks for the wonderful pics everyone. Oh, and thanks for the James Garner quote from Doris’ book , it was interesting to hear what he had to say about Doris.

ddfan55

The Thrill Of It All

Unread post by ddfan55 » 04 Nov 2007, 18:41

I have to agree with Miss Maxwell that Doris and James Garner were great together. Even though I have not seen The Thrill Of It All, (Iam still trying to buy it on DVD) I just loved Move Over Darling. And thanks to everyone who posted photos of TTOIA especially those great ones of James Garner

Lyn

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 04 Nov 2007, 20:13

One of my favorite movies !!

I'm Beverly Boyer, And I'm a pig !

Soooo funny !!
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 04 Nov 2007, 20:39

And I'm just a pig!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 04 Nov 2007, 20:45

Love it !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam » 06 Nov 2007, 01:18

That is sooooo good :lol: !

Pam~

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell » 07 Dec 2007, 16:43

I came across a 'recent' picture of Kym Karath, who played Doris and James Garner's daughter, Maggie Boyer. She was just the sweetest both in "The thrill" and as Gretel von Trapp in "The sound of mysic". Ta-dah!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 07 Dec 2007, 17:03

She's got such a happy face - and I remember than funny little girl voice!

Doris and James Garner were so good together, weren't they? They put so much energy into it. I remember Doris saying in some documentary how she thought they were 'the perfect couple' (paraphrase).

I wonder how it would have worked if they had made Pillow Talk/Lover Come Back/etc and Rock had made Move Over Darling/The Thrill of it All?

Pointless question but interesting to think about. :wink:

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 07 Dec 2007, 19:42

Love the Kym Karath Pic - thanks.

I have to agree with Doris...I thought she and Garner were terrific together ! Of course, I'm a huge Garner fan -
but putting that aside - they had great chemistry and looked great together. They really looked as if they could be
married. And, they did some great argument scenes too ! Nobody can get mad like Doris - but he held his own !

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell » 08 Dec 2007, 19:36

I agree, what an unbeatable comedic and romantic duo. Amazing chemistry. Bryan, I've thought about that too even though I adore Rock Hudson; it's just that I wish (don't they, too?) they had done more films together. Toni, I'm a JG fan too, although I haven't watched him in anything else (yet) but the two movies with DD. He seems to be the kind of man I'm generally attracted to, what can I say! Wonderful pics, as always. [I got "The great escape" and "The notebook" and will be watching them some time soon]

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 08 Dec 2007, 20:09

Miss Maxwell -- I have always been a Garner fan. I was a Rockford Files addict when it was on tv. I've seen him on talk shows over the years - he is so genuine - just a really nice guy - and funny, too! He's sooo good !
And a real cutie !!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 08 Dec 2007, 21:07

"Thrill of it All" Trailer (not from this site):

http://www.youtube.com/v/v0LBl2_hK6o&rel

Speaking of other James Garner films, you might like "Boy's Night Out" with Kim Novak and Tony Randal:

http://tinyurl.com/yv93jm

http://mooninthegutter.blogspot.com/200 ... films.html

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell » 09 Dec 2007, 07:34

Delicious pics. And then it's the low, purry voice. Oh boy...!
Bryan - wow, Garner and Randall and Novak -
I'll definitely look for this one.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 09 Dec 2007, 17:39

Its a fun little movie. SOOOO 60's !

One of my favorite movies is Victor Victoria. Great movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsHVLaNsCSg

And The Americanization of Emily is a good one too.

ddfan55

The Thrill of it All

Unread post by ddfan55 » 14 Dec 2007, 21:25

Excellent movie. Just saw it for the first time. There is a lot of chemistry between Doris and James (Jim). She always looks lovely and I am a big fan of James Garner. The kids were great too

Lyn :D

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila » 15 Dec 2007, 04:12

I may have mentioned this once or twice or possibly three or four times previously.....but I think it's worth mentioning again! James Garner is totally HOT! :D An unusual mixture of serious hunkiness combined with a caring and funny personality! How lovely :wink:

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 15 Dec 2007, 20:12

Sheila - couldn't agree more !! That combination is the best - a hunk with a great sence of humor and a caring personality !! What more could you ask for ??

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila » 16 Dec 2007, 05:33

Very nice 8)

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 02 Mar 2008, 21:52

I watched this movie for the first time today... and I loved it... it made me laugh... and at times it made me cry... whenever I see Doris cry... my heart just breaks... so I cry too... I loved the Notebook too!!! Even though Doris doesn't still act, I'm sure glad that James still does... Doris was beautiful... as usual... in this movie and she makes me want to watch more... watching Doris act really inspires me to follow my own dreams and go to Hollywood some day to act and sing... Maybe even make a trip to Carmel and see if I can see her anywhere... Back to subject.... Everything about this movie is great!!! I rated it EXCELLENT!!! My favorite scene is the end...

-Daddy, did you deliver a baby?
-Yes, and Mommy helped
-Oh!!! Do we get to keep it?!?
-No...
-But you promised
-Ya Daddy, we want a baby
-Well we'll have to discuss it
-Can you discuss it tonight???
-If Daddy isn't too tired!!!

I like the scene when Maggie is first talking about taking the baby home... when she says home is sounds funny!!! HOMUH!!! lol great movie!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 09 Mar 2008, 20:26

I just watched this again for the 2nd time... and I STILL LOVED it!!! I just can't get over the little girl...

Can you bring it HOMUH???

Doris- there how was that?

Little Girl- It smells just like piano teacher.. and now I smell just like her!

WOW like 10 billion stars and thumbs up!!! I loved every second of this movie... only 1 complaint... Our Doris did not sing... other than that, I LOVED it!!!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 10 Mar 2008, 18:00

Babe, I trust you know the 'little girl' also played the youngest child in The Sound of Music? She was adorable in both SOM and TTOIA.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 10 Mar 2008, 18:06

yes, I did, she was GREAT in that too. Her recent pictures surprised me... oh well I guess people can't be cute forever... Was TTOIA made before or after SOM??? Why didn't Doris get to sing over the opening credits... I would have preferred to hear her sing rather than whoever it was doing the singing.. she looked magnificent in this movie though...
Megan
-----------------

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 10 Mar 2008, 18:08

Babe, Thrill.... was released in 1963 and Sound of Music in '65. Yes, Doris never looked lovlier than in this film, I love her clothes and her hair behind her ears & flicked up, a great look.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 01 Apr 2008, 05:23

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 02 Apr 2008, 11:52

Love it !! Thanks Puck !! :lol: