The Thrill of it All

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "The Thrill of it All"?

Poor
1%
Average
4%
Good
14%
Excellent
81%

Total votes: 77

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 02 Apr 2008, 16:19

Great pictures!

RueBea

Unread post by RueBea » 04 Apr 2008, 18:51

Isn't this the film where she suffered a cracked rib during filming because of a mishap when James picked her up wrong?
RueBea

"Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty." ~Doris Day

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD » 04 Apr 2008, 18:57

That was in "Move Over Darling"

RueBea

Unread post by RueBea » 04 Apr 2008, 19:05

Thank you for the info. :D
RueBea

"Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty." ~Doris Day

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 10 May 2008, 10:36

I have a question.. it might sound silly, but it's serious..

In the movies... why don't the people wash their hair when they take showers... they wear those shower caps.. it's really bugging me... don't they want clean hair too???

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD » 10 May 2008, 20:46

It funny, I was thinking of something like this not long ago when I was trying to think up a trivia question, something like: how many times was Doris filmed in the shower? and I remembered those funny shower caps.

I'm just guessing, but I imagine that it must be easier to film somebody with a shower cap on, than have to worry about wet hair.

Barb

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 10 May 2008, 22:29

oh... I thought people just did that normally... like in The Thrill Of It All Doris said in a commercial.. and when I go home, I'm going to wash my hair with Happy Soap.. it just really confused me...
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 11 May 2008, 04:52

I imagine that people just didn't wash their hair daily as nowadays?

Just like you sometimes see them sleeping with hair curlers in movies of those days?
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 11 May 2008, 13:20

hmm I never thought about that... i think you're right
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 11 May 2008, 13:40

That is true-my mother and grandmother's generation - it was a weekly trip to the hairdressers [1940s-60s]- and the hair had to stay in shape / style from one week to the next, and had enough support [setting lotion/ hair spray] to achieve this goal!

Erica_R_Stone

Re: The Thrill of it All

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone » 01 Jul 2008, 00:13

Now we are talking CHEM-IS-TRY!!! Say that again.

Doris Day responds to James Garner for real and it is a treat to watch. I do wish this movie had been scripted differently but it's ok. I know Ms. Day has said she pretty much maintained the same weight throughout her life, but in this picture it seems to me she is a bit on the thin side. However, it isn't a put off. Her gold sleeveless gown is gorgeous on her figure.

She has some great comedy going on. It's a fun movie to watch.
"At least mine can be solved in one bedroom!"

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 01 Jul 2008, 18:29

ERICA, gotta say I agree with you about the chemistry between doris and james. You could just see the sparks flying. :wink: I think thats what made this movie work so well. They really seemed married. loved this movie, one of my very favorites.By the way erica, I love your avatar and marion your avatar cracks me up ,its really cute.
suzie

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Re:

Unread post by Jake Iverson » 05 Jul 2008, 08:41

BabeWilliams wrote:I have a question.. it might sound silly, but it's serious..

In the movies... why don't the people wash their hair when they take showers... they wear those shower caps.. it's really bugging me... don't they want clean hair too???

Many women of theat era didn't wash their hair every day. Partly because the hair had to be set and after sitting at the hairdressers for 3 1/2 hrs to have it look perfect, wahsing it defeated the purpose. Personally, I think the hair styles are so much better back then they are today. They at least looked like they had hair.

Also, if you sit at a desk all day and don't get much excersise except a few days a week, why wash your hair every day?

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson » 05 Jul 2008, 08:44

This movie was wonderful. I rated it excellent. I have a few favorite scenes. One is during the shooting of Beverly's first commercial. I love it when she looks down at the director and through clenched teeth says "I haven't" re: using Happy Soap. I also loved the big fight after James Garner drives the car in the pool. Actually, that whole sequence is hysterical.

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 21 Jul 2008, 11:53

CUTE movie ... and THANKS for the info about the little girl - I KNEW I knew that face from SOMEWHERE!!! :mrgreen: The kids are both adorable :mrgreen:
Agree about the chemistry between James Garner and Doris .. even though I HAVE TO SAY that I liked MOVE OVER DARLING better ... maybe the kinda woman-belongs-at-home-kinda-theme bothers me a tiny little bit. I know - its done in the 50's and such - different times ... but I still keep thinking why she wanted to go back and be just a doctors wife :roll: I know its perfectly right if you wanna be just a housewife and all - to each his own ... but still the movie kinda impacts that its the only way to go. Oh well me and my feminin ways *lol* - not taken to serious ... just what I thought while watching the movie.
Its still a fun movie - I loved the scene with the "snow" in the garden .... and him driving his car into the pool and such - and the German housemaid who's German was actually PRETTY bad :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Fun to watch .... - but for above reasons I voted it only a good - and I added a "minus" for me :wink:

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 21 Jul 2008, 12:13

This is definitely one of my very favorite DD comedies. Ranks up there with "Teacher's Pet" and "Lover, Come Back." But I agree, the ending was a disappointment.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 21 Jul 2008, 12:25

and the German housemaid who's German was actually PRETTY bad :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wasn't it???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 21 Jul 2008, 12:33

Theodomus wrote:
and the German housemaid who's German was actually PRETTY bad :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wasn't it???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

absolutely - sometimes I couldn't even understand what she was saying even if it was supposed to be German - just the odd word in beetween - to funny :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June » 21 Jul 2008, 21:47

This is another excellent performance by Doris Day and James Garner. She just makes me laugh so much. I love it when she says: "Hello, I'm Beverly Boyer and I'm a Pig". Everytime I watch it I just die laughing. She is so beautiful in this movie...well in all her movies but this is good clean fun.
Carol

Dandy Fosdyke

Unread post by Dandy Fosdyke » 30 Aug 2008, 10:28

It's difficult to clinically assess a film that you have a deep affection for. It it helps it gets a A+ from me for cheering you up on a wet day, or when you're laid low with the 'flu, etc. Pure unadulterated escapism.... :)

BTW This is my first post - hi to everyone! :wink:
“I'd rather be strongly wrong than weakly right.”
Tallulah Bankhead

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June » 30 Aug 2008, 10:32

Congratulations Dandy of your first post.

This a a great forum to be on.

The Thrill Of It All is an excellent movie. :lol: :lol:

One of my favorites. Doris has this ability to make us all laugh. You can watch her movies over and over and still laugh. :lol: :lol:

Carol :)

Its2Good2BeTrue

Re:

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue » 07 Oct 2008, 14:51

Debbi Austen wrote:It isn't as good as Pillow Talk.
Definitely not. I saw the movie a while ago and most of the time I just yawned and did something else with the movie playing in the background. I did like the scene in the basement though, with the tomatoes. Is it just me or does Doris have a natural curl. I could be wrong but I've seen it in some of her other movies. Maybe they just styled it that way..you never know. I love Hayden Rorke. He was in quite a few movies with Doris.

rt

The Thrill of it All

Unread post by rt » 07 Oct 2008, 15:05

My major detraction from enjoying this film in spite of DD's talent for comedy is the "being a doctor's wife" thing! Very dated even for the 60's.

More than 50% of medical students in the UK are women.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/jul/0 ... cience.nhs
http://student.bmj.com/issues/04/10/news/353a.php

Rum

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue » 07 Oct 2008, 15:21

So true, Rum. Boy, how I hate Beverly's husband, he has such an old-fashioned attitude about women working. That's one of the reasons I don't particularly like this movie.

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 07 Oct 2008, 16:17

BSDDomi wrote:So true, Rum. Boy, how I hate Beverly's husband, he has such an old-fashioned attitude about women working. That's one of the reasons I don't particularly like this movie.
Well those were the "good old day" :roll: I like the film overall ... a lot of cute and funny scenes - but I definitely don't like the end where she all of a sudden wants to be only a mother and dutiful wife * :roll: * again cause her hubby wants her to be.