Do Not Disturb

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Do Not Disturb"?

Poor
7%
Average
25%
Good
35%
Excellent
33%

Total votes: 55

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Do Not Disturb

Unread post by webmaster » 12 Jan 2006, 07:08

What do you think of "Do Not Disturb"? (Good song!)

http://www.dorisday.net/do_not_disturb.html
What a difference a Day makes...

howard
Special Contributer

SOOOO FEEBLE!

Unread post by howard » 12 Jan 2006, 13:01

UGHHH!

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Do not disturb

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 12 Jan 2006, 13:33

Hi there,

This film has it's moments... and I always love too watch, usually three or four times, the part where Doris takes out her coat and shows us the orange dress... Pure magic.

Peter

webmaster

Somewhat Disturbed

Unread post by webmaster » 12 Jan 2006, 14:53

I feel a bit sorry for this film! - the whole story of the making of it would be much more interesting. How did such a bad script get accepted? People (Doris) must have had other things on their minds!
Do Not Disturb
An American woollen executive (Taylor) is transferred to England: at home in the big country house, spouse Day wring her hands over her husband's imagined infidelity with his London secretary, then gets back at him by dallying with sultry antique dealer Fantoni. An inane comedy of marital complications, from a play by William Fairchild, with the usual off-beam Hollywood views of London and Paris. TJ
Source : Time Out Film Guide 13

More at Rod Taylor website:

http://www.fanfromfla.net/rodtaylor/donotdisturb.shtml
What a difference a Day makes...

Jas1
Honorary Member

Do not - complain!

Unread post by Jas1 » 13 Jan 2006, 12:12

I rated it 'good' although the film has many faults I enjoy it - Doris looks lovely and her clothes are wonderful. I read once this film held the record for the most costume changes by an actress and Doris got to keep her wardrobe from the films she did for 20th Century Fox. Rod is a great co-star too.

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken » 13 Jan 2006, 21:56

Not one of the best but still an enjoyable movie.

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja » 30 Nov 2006, 12:56

The new DVD cover:

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 13 Dec 2006, 00:47

Bad movie. Nothing to recommend it except for Doris (who tries) and that stunning moment when she peels off the white coat at the party and there is that VA VA VOOM body. She looks incredibly hot in that sequined orange number. What a figure. Move over Raquel Welch.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

DND

Unread post by Jas1 » 13 Dec 2006, 12:12

Apparently this film [for years] held the record for the most costume changes, and that [the wonderful clothes] if nothing else is a plus factor for me, oh, and I think Rod Taylor was a very good match for Doris.

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja » 07 Jan 2007, 15:00

Look what I've found:

Isn't that cute...

Tanja

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

NY Times Review

Unread post by Ralph » 26 Jan 2007, 18:31

N.Y. TIMES REVIEW
'Do Not Disturb': Doris Day Decorates Home in England

By BOSLEY CROWTHER
Published: December 25, 1965

THIS being Christmas and everybody surely having better things to do than bother about the wholly whimwhams of that perennial child bride, Doris Day, I will take but a moment to tell you that her latest movie, "Do Not Disturb," is the most foolish piece of comic trivia she's been caught in since her pre-Rock Hudson days.

In it she plays a clucking child bride (going on 40, I would say) who almost loses her wool-merchant husband to his mooching secretary because she spends too much time over-decorating their new London suburban home. But she masters the menace with true gumption. First she happens to get caught overnight in Paris with a handsome antique dealer, which fires her howling husband's jealousy. Then she innocently vamps the big wool buyer, whom her husband has not been able to land.

These two remarkable achievements, which are the ideals of a good American wife, cause the secretary to withdraw in confusion and all is joy in the chic suburban home.

But all is not joy in this picture, which opened yesterday in a couple of dozen neighborhood theaters in the metropolitan area. It is without wit, in script and direction, which fall back upon such leaden things as Miss Day getting pickled in Paris and joining a bunch of youngsters in a sidewalk soccer game or innocently entering the hotel bedroom of the big wool buyer instead of that of her spouse.

Nor are any of the performances more than hackneyed. Rod Taylor is absolutely drab as the husband whose constant irritation is understandable. Hermione Baddeley, an accomplished British actress, is as flat as a pint of last night's beer in the role of a mannish estates manager and de-Cockneyized confidante. Maura McGiveney as the saucy secretary, Sergio Fantoni as the antique dealer and Leon Askin as the big wool buyer are right out of old boudoir farce.

This is the film for which Pierre Salinger, press secretary for President Kennedy, was supposed to have played a bit, but he is not to be seen in the proceedings. How do they say in France—lucky Pierre!

The Cast
DO NOT DISTURB, screenplay by Milt Rosen and Richard Breen, based on a play by William Fairchild; directed by Ralph Levy and produced by Aaron Rosenberg and Mertin Melcher. Presented by 20th Century-Fox. At neighborhood theaters. Running time: 102 minutes.

Janet Harper . . . . . Doris Day
Mike Harpers . . . . . Rod Taylor
Vanssa Courtwright . . . . . Hermione Baddeley
Pau . . . . . Sergio Fantoni
Simmons . . . . . Reginald Gardiner
Claire Hackett . . . . . Maura McGiveney
Culkos . . . . . Aram Katcher
Langsdorf . . . . . Leon Askin
Alicia . . . . . Lisa Pera
Delegate . . . . . Michael Romanoff
Reynard . . . . . Albert Carrier
Mrs. Ordley . . . . . Barbara Morrison
One-man band . . . . . Dick Winslow

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 15 Feb 2007, 16:17

I like the film, and I'm glad I bought it. It is not her best film, but not her worst either. My favorite moments were when she saves the fox (she looks so cute), when her husband finds her in the Paris store, when "ski pants" throws a grape down the back of her dress and when Rod finds her hidding in the bed. She looks beautiful in this film. I like the special features on the film, but I think Caprice had the best bonus features.
The Doris Day Show

John M
Honorary Member

Reused set from "The Sound of Music"

Unread post by John M » 16 Feb 2007, 18:14

I just noticed something in Do Not Disturb for the first time, since I'm seeing it in Widescreen for the first time. When we first see the party off the hotel lobby, the room it's in is the front hall of the Von Trapp mansion from The Sound of Music. Too funny! There's a couple of great wide shots of the party where you can clearly see it.

I always love seeing how sets and parts of sets are reused in different pictures or TV shows made at the same studio during the same year of production. For instance, Nick and Fanny's apartment in Funny Girl appears in 2 episodes of "Bewitched" during that time.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 10 May 2007, 18:43

Cute French poster.
Japanese poster

I'm not crazy about this movie but Doris was beautiful as ever !!
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 28 Jun 2007, 18:54

Do not disturb.was not the best of doris day movies,but it did have its moments.I must say I cracked up laughing when the old guy chases her through the hotel rooms.Doris is so funny in her actions and reactions.

Lets face it has anyone ever seen that lovely dress and coat and not remarked on how bueatiful it is ?Not to mention the lovely lady in it lol.
Most people do not care to much for this movie,but I guess im just a tried and true doris day fan and I loved going to England with doris and rod if only for an hour or so.I rated it exellent :wink:
suzie

It's Magic

Unread post by It's Magic » 08 Oct 2007, 15:08

I don't see what many here don't like about this film. Sure, it's not perfect, but then neither are a lot of other films, but that doesn't make them un-enjoyable.

I personally love this film. I hadn't seen a Doris film in quite awhile, so while moving, I ended up taking a break and watching it. I laughed so hard. Doris looks extremely cute and Rod is, as always, drop dead beautiful. I wouldn't rate this over Glass Bottom Boat, but I would gladly watch it again anf again any old day.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 17 Oct 2007, 04:45

I love also this movie, even I doesn't understand why some people don't like it. It's full with comic acts. And yes the movie isn't perfect, but which one is, none !. I watch it with joy and a lots of laughing, well that makes a movie for me, Great.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

It's Magic

Unread post by It's Magic » 25 Oct 2007, 17:04

Those pictures are really cute!

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 08 Nov 2007, 19:46

Love this photo of DD...

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin » 13 Nov 2007, 19:13

dayniac wrote:Love this photo of DD...

me too. marti.

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila » 19 Jan 2008, 12:45

I'm so pleased that I finally got to watch this film, I have wanted to watch it for ages. I rate it as being good. I loved the costumes, particularly the sparkly orange number! I think Doris did an excellent job, with a not particularly inspiring script. I loved the Paris part of the film...Doris plays a really funny drunk!

Does anyone know if the film was actually made in the U.K?

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 19 Jan 2008, 14:07

It was filmed at the 20th Century-Fox Studio in California.

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila » 19 Jan 2008, 15:38

Oh that's interesting thank you Howard.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell » 21 Jan 2008, 20:57

It took me three times of watching this film to grow into it but I finally did. It is at moments like this that I realize I'm really hooked on an actor/artist - in this case our Doris: when I not only start to get used to a film, which I initially had found to be a disaster, but I start liking and enjoying it - very much so. I was really disapointed the first time. But very frequently, when you watch something again, you start noticing the good things, that click, and disregard the bad. So, having been through exactly this I must say that although there are several boring moments, specially before 'Paris', I can watch this film with great pleasure:

- I [always] love how Doris gets across as serious [when it is called for] in an otherwise comic scene: the late night argument. "Does it make any difference (little trembling in the voice) where we live? I mean really?" / "You never wanna talk" / "Even your telegrams don't reach me". And it goes back to comic naturally, you can't tell the transition. I love it.
- Drunk Doris in Paris is a delight! Absolutely fantastic. "Oookay, operator, alright".
- "Au revoir is goodbye with a smile" is an amazing song - was it written for the film :?: The whole score is very nice and I love the music that plays at the hotel ballroom.
- Those long shots of London and Paris, delicious... Incredible sets too, since this was filmed at the 20th Century/Fox studio as Ray said. Need I talk about the costumes? Beautiful.
- I like it how the story is actually continued after the final scene, in the end credits we see that they have a baby.
- Learning the money: LOL
All in all, even though it's no "Thrill of it al", it's pleasant and definitely guarantees some laughs, if you just get past the not so great plot and stick to those great seperate moments, if you know what I mean.

:D

Daisy June

Re: Do Not Disturb

Unread post by Daisy June » 22 Jun 2008, 15:08

I really enjoyed this movie. The more I watch it the better I like it. She's good at anything she does in my opinion. I love the scene where she is at the convention (posing as someone else) and she enters in that beautiful gown. Loved it.
The funniest part is where she is dancing with different men and the big man throws a grape and it goes down the back of her gown and she starts moving around and shaking trying to get it to fall out. I couldn't stop laughing at her and they way she moved and her crazy faces.