Caprice

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Caprice"?

Poor
16%
Average
30%
Good
43%
Excellent
10%

Total votes: 69

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Caprice

Unread post by webmaster » 13 Jan 2006, 12:45

What do you think of "Caprice"?

Refresh your memory (opening music is very James Bond):

http://dorisday.net/caprice.html
What a difference a Day makes...

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken » 13 Jan 2006, 21:58

I enjoyed the movie.I think it would have been better with a different co- star. Ray Walston was excellent.

Jas1
Honorary Member

A lark on Noah's Ark!

Unread post by Jas1 » 16 Jan 2006, 07:08

I really love Caprice - rated it good. Very stylised 1960's and some very good bits - love the opening, the ski scene, the sugar lump microphone scene, and best of all Phillipa Fowler (or whomever) going to the cinema to see Doris Day & Richard Harris in Caprice!

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 16 Jan 2006, 21:45

In the mood for a light spy comedy? Put James Bond aside, and pick up a copy of Caprice. Not only is there action and suspense, but also Doris in an array of fashions from the 60's.

I first saw this film on the Fox Movie channel, last year. Some reviewer give this film 1 1/2 stars. I thought that was a bit harsh. This film falls some where between good and average.
The Doris Day Show

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 21 Feb 2006, 23:58

It really isn't a good movie. There so much that doesn't work but still Doris makes the most of the slapstick bits and does what she can to rise above the script and her complete lack of chemistry with Richard Harris. Without her it would have been a disaster.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Caprice

Unread post by ray » 01 Sep 2006, 15:05

Ralph since you and I like Caprice so much there is a great music video of it on you tube, right after Bryan's Best Friends segment, which is also fantastic!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Yes, to Caprice.

Unread post by Jas1 » 05 Sep 2006, 05:19

I class "Where were you..." as much worse than Caprice which I find more entertaining.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Where were you?

Unread post by Jas1 » 06 Sep 2006, 05:14

I also didn't think Doris looked as good in "Where were you..." - hair, clothes etc. I know Caprice was an exagerated mod look but it was still 'swinging' whereas I think Doris looked less 'in' in "Lights". I also think the whole saga of did she didnt she [sleep with the younger guy] [in her mind] - outdated for 1968 and thought too much time was given to the sub plot.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Caprice

Unread post by Ralph » 09 Sep 2006, 16:36

I loved the scene where Doris Day visited Sir Jason at his elegant home. She and Edward Muhare played their scenes together expertly.

Day created the right mood for her scene with Mdm. Piasco, the woman she suspected of killing her father.

Remember how incredible Day looked in bed after her rescue from the cliff? That closeup of her face on the pillow as she contemplated Christopher's reaction when he dismissed her discovery of the hair spray. She almost looked like a beautiful teen girl!

Lastly, I loved the Dutch Boy hair style. It complimented Day's face. When she and Christopher were running from the police, the wind blew her hair back and it looked to me like the mane was coming from the roots.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Billing, Baby!

Unread post by Ralph » 05 Nov 2006, 19:09

Just watched "Caprice" on DVD. Ray was nice enough to burn a copy and send it to me last year.

Remember when we were talking about billing recently? I noticed that Doris name appeared: DORIS DAY and her co-star: Richard HARRIS. Very sutble, but there was a difference in billing, just as it was in "Calamity Jane" and "Lucky Me." When a big movie star shares billing with a star that is not quite on their level, but considered a "star" sutble billing such as described above occurs. Even though some Doris fans don't believe that Day was aware or cared about these sutbilties, she did/was. And like other stars of her calibre, she nor Liz, Grace, Shirley, Marilyn, etc. would not allow a male co-star, not equally in their league to get same font size billing as they.

I remember reading about Howard Keel's billing in "Calamity" and thought it insignificant at the time that Doris' name was larger in font than his, but now that I understand that billing is of utmost importance when it comes to money and status, I get it. Keel was not among the top A stars at MGM (on the same level as Kelly, Garland, Astaire). If Doris had allowed his name to be as large as her's she'd be admitting that she (Doris) was not on the same level as Judy, Fred and Gene.

Funny. While watching "Caprice" I noticed another goof. When Day went to the Chinese girl's apartment, she sprayed the hairspray on a hankie, but didn't take the bottle. Later, in the middle of the ocean, she told Christopher than she had the hairspray, he broke the bottle inside her purse (why?) and the next scene, they were examining a fragment of the broken bottle to see where it was manufactured.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Billing Is Serious Business, Even For Doris

Unread post by Ralph » 06 Nov 2006, 16:55

Believe me, she learned fast. Take a look at her billing in "Romance." It looks as if she got fourth billing, but her name is in all caps, letting everyone know that it was she who was the star of this movie, not Jack Carson or Janis Paige.

I disagree that Day "probably didn't care where her name was," becoming a STAR is serious business and Day didn't get into the movies and work that hard to sheepishly say, "oh, I don't care where you put my name...you can put it last if you want to, it doesn't make any difference to me." If she was that non-caring, she should have allowed Frank Sinatra's name to go before her's in "Young at Heart," also Louis Jourdan in "Julie" and Gordon MacRae (they would have loved to have gotten billing over Doris - it would have meant much more money (and status) for them in their next projects, but devastating for Doris). How about Gene Nelson and Doris Day in "Lullaby of Broadway" or Ray Bolger and Doris Day in "April in Paris"? Speaking of "April," Claude Dauphin was a huge star in France when he made the picture. Here, his name went below the title, but in France, many ads had his name on top, to sell the film in his country.

With Bob Cummings being mainly a TV star when "Lucky Me" was filmed. His billing was reduced so as not to put him on the same footing as Doris. Day could have insisted that his name be in the same font as her's, but she didn't and Jack Warner would have told her that she was crazy for even suggesting it. I can hear him now, "do you want to be a top star or don't you?"

In "Ballad of Josie," do you really believe that Doris Day would have even entertained a suggestion of Peter Graves getting equal billing with her? Why should she? (Her name was alone above the title). That would have been career suicide, admitting that a TV star was important enough to share equal billing with the top box office star of all-time. As Bette Davis said in "The Star": "don't you think I have any pride?" In short, the whole thing gets "political."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Caprice Poster

Unread post by ray » 26 Nov 2006, 23:47

Hung my Caprice glass framed movie poster in my bedroom, has maroon sidings to match my blinds, looks smashing!!! :lol:

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja » 30 Nov 2006, 12:54

The new DVD cover:

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 30 Nov 2006, 13:16

nice cover! I really like it!

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 30 Nov 2006, 23:16

Hi All,

Love the cover!

Ralph, interesting comments about Bob Cummings in Lucky Me. I often thought that his character was similar to the one on his TV show and wondered how close it was to the time he was on TV. I have seen him in older movies, Kings Row and The Devil and Miss Jones.
The Doris Day Show

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 13 Dec 2006, 00:26

"Caprice" just doesn't work for me but I ordered the DVD anyway. Doris and the clothes make this worthwhile. Her gift for slapstick physical comedy is on full force and like Lucille Ball Doris can do pratfalls without losing her flair for elegance. She makes it all look so easy. Not a film that is worthy of her but she makes it some of it sizzle.
Michael H

ray
I danced with Doris!

Caprice

Unread post by ray » 13 Dec 2006, 00:39

This Caprice is not worthy of her talents granted, but she stood in front of the camera and tried to make it work with true determination. It was a role fro her and she gave it her best and tried to make a go of it. Its says a lot for her acting ability. In life we have many bad situations and try as we may to make it work. Doris did this with Caprice and many other projects and this makes her a true professional and good performer and actress of the highest degree!

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 13 Dec 2006, 02:04

Ray, I agree that no matter what the quality of the script, Doris gave it her all and always delivered a polished performance. The lady was a pro in every sense of the word.
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

a perspective on 'Caprice'

Unread post by Jas1 » 13 Dec 2006, 12:18

Was glancing through a Richard Harris biography yesterday and I read this before also, and to my knowledge it has never been mentioned here: -

He [Harris] mentions he admired Miss Day alot. However on first meeting apparently he said to her "nice legs". He also comments that he believes the flim did not work [as it should] becuase Doris insisted on taking the role originally written for the male lead. In other words she had the roles switched and should have played the Interpol agent. Harris notes this weighed the film in her favour making it [to the critics minds] as just another 'Day' vehicle and not perhaps the film it should or could have been. He also notes he believes Doris got him mixed up with Sean Connery and was disappointed when he [a large red skinned Irish man and not a sauve James Bond type first met her]. He goes on to say "I thought with the combination of Camelot and Doris Day I had it made".

Whether this is true or not, [and I would think it is] it is interesting to think of the film with the roles the other way around; Doris as 'Chris' and Harris as 'Pat/ Patrick Fowler'.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 19 Dec 2006, 00:03

Interesting information, Jas, I never heard that before. If Doris took what was originally the male lead, I think she did the right thing.

It is difficult for me to have a firm opinion on this film. I really haven't made up my mind on it. The last time I watched it, (I think 6 months ago), I thought Doris was trying to play the film seriously (except for the few slapstick bits), and that Richard Harris was trying to play it like a comedy. I'll have to watch it again.
The Doris Day Show

ray
I danced with Doris!

Caprice

Unread post by ray » 19 Dec 2006, 00:42

I never read that story about what Richard Harris wrote in his book. Interesting and funny that Doris thought Sean Connery would be in the lead! THAT would have been great if Sean Connery was!! And if they switched roles it would have been even more interesting. Doris was asked in a Des O" Connor interview around 1994 for the BBC, and I belive Doris said she would have liked to have worked with Sean. They would have made a hot pair! :twisted:

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Not Crazy About The Cover, But...

Unread post by Ralph » 01 Jan 2007, 17:43

I'm not crazy about the boxcover, but I can live with it. I don't like having Doris' face partially covered! I had heard that Day did switch the parts. What she should have also done was to have the script rewritten and all the silliness taken out. One of our members, Paul Brogan said in a review at amazon.com, that the picture never made up its mind as to whether it was a spy film or a comedy. I would have preferred it to be one or the other, too! As a comedy, Frank Tashlin drug in that potato chip eating sequence just to get a laugh. If you'll notice, Ray Walston and Doris played his char lady scene straight, with no comical elements at all. It worked. As did the connecting scene she played with Sir Jason.

I loved the scene Day shared with Sir Jason at his home when he told her that she was about to be arrested. With a script revision, the slapstick could have been omitted, some other relevant scenes added, making it a very smart thriller.

The other comedic scenes like the elevator water cup could have remained and the tool shed sequence, minus the water and muddy dress.

The scene in the Chinese girl's apartment was wonderful and the run from the cops would have been a welcome break from the drama.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Robert Cummings

Unread post by Ralph » 01 Jan 2007, 18:01

Debbi Austen wrote:Hi All,

Love the cover!

Ralph, interesting comments about Bob Cummings in Lucky Me. I often thought that his character was similar to the one on his TV show and wondered how close it was to the time he was on TV. I have seen him in older movies, Kings Row and The Devil and Miss Jones.

Robert Cummings came across in comedy as befuddled, confused and slightly effeminent. He always seemed astonished and almost at a loss of words. I've watched him opposite not only Doris Day, but other big film stars like Betty Grable, Grace Kelly, Shirley MacLaine, Marie Wilson, Dorothy Malone, Carroll Baker, Leslie Caron and Eleanor Parker. Most of his work was actually in TV, with occasional leading film roles.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Caprice Cover Photo

Unread post by ray » 01 Jan 2007, 19:13

Which picture would you have liked Ralph for the Caprice cover? The one where Doris is reflective in bed after the sking accident might have been good. I always like that scene where Doris is standing in front of the movie theatre going to see Caprice.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 02 Jan 2007, 02:50

I like the shot where Dodo is in bed with Richard Harris ready to stick him with the hypodermic needle.