Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?"?

Poor
18%
Average
48%
Good
22%
Excellent
12%

Total votes: 50

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

Unread post by webmaster » 13 Jan 2006, 12:51

What do you think of "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?"

http://dorisday.net/where_were_you_when_the_lights.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken » 13 Jan 2006, 21:50

This wasn't a great movie but anything with Doris has to be enjoyable.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 13 Jan 2006, 22:30

I saw this film many years ago and can't remember it at all. All I can remember is the theme music (Who sings that, the lettermen?). I also remember it as being the worse film she ever made.

I don't want to vote on it until I see it again.
The Doris Day Show

Jas1
Honorary Member

where were you;;;;;;;

Unread post by Jas1 » 16 Jan 2006, 07:10

I was really disappointed with this one - average for me.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 04 Feb 2006, 23:58

This movie was one of her last films, and falls into the same category as Caprice and The Ballad of Josie. Supposedly Marty signed Doris to these films only for a paycheck and they were a little substandard for Doris.

I thought the movie was funny. I rated it average (but not for Doris).
The Doris Day Show

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 26 May 2007, 18:54

Well -- what can you say. Not a very good movie. Too bad Marty was only looking for a fast buck -- if he had gotten Doris some good material surely it would have brought in the money and given her more respect during this period of her career. Sad that she was more or less forced into making these movies.

She was still looking great though !

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 28 May 2007, 23:24

My take on WWYWTLWO...

I find this her most sexist and offensive film, even more so than The Tunnel of Love. At least in TTOL, the husband only thinks he cheated, and would never have done so otherwise. In WWYWTLWO, she is married to a true pig, who cheats on her even before the lights go out. He and the reporter don't even know there's been a blackout, they've been so busy (and long) in the sack... in Doris' own bed! Truly a pig of a husband.

Then to top it all off, the movie ends with the husband deliberately perpetuating what he knows is a lie, making her think she cheated with Robert Morse so that she'll feel guilty and give up her career to have a baby. AND SHE DOES! This is NOT our independent, intelliegent Doris here. The script even has her lament that she's "tarnished," and undeserving of the pig as she gives into him at the end!

Now, I know that The Thrill of it All also has a cop-out ending where she gives up her career to have a baby, but in that one she's also just going back to the life she was very happy in before. In WWYWTLWO, she's giving up her career to have a baby, clearly a choice that the character had always had, but never made. And probably wouldn't have made had she not been tricked. No other leading man in her romantic comedies was as sexist and deceitful as the husband in this film. But unlike in all her other films, where the guy learns his lesson and learns how to earn Doris' love, this one gets away with it and Doris ends up duped by a cheater and a manipulator. It's just sad. On top of not being a particular funny film.

I do love her look in the film though (although I think she has a very sad look in her eyes through-out all this, even when she's smiling.) And she has one line reading that I absolutely adore, when she tell the cabbie, "You're rude!"

Natalier

Unread post by Natalier » 30 May 2007, 13:14

it wasnt one of Doris's best fillms but the outfits she wore were great
Its a great feeling

Jas1
Honorary Member

Where were you?

Unread post by Jas1 » 31 May 2007, 05:20

I don't agree about this film on any level, script, how Doris looked, co-stars, or her clothes! From start to finish, I did not like it.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

"Get out of My Tree!"

Unread post by Ralph » 17 Jun 2007, 17:17

I wasn't in New York during that particular blackout, but I was for the two that followed. The movie depicted it correctly and when I see this movie, my nightmares come back.

The film started out promisingly, but fizzled out after Day found her husband in bed with the reporter. All the nonsense about sleeping potions, etc. Day and Morse "out of it," I just wanted to throw up.

Why didn't they get some wonderful heads on that script? Not worthy of Doris Day at all! Thanks again, Marty Melcher!

"Get out of my tree!" :twisted:

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 31 Mar 2008, 12:27

Great pictures Tanja and Dayniac!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Re: Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 16 Jun 2008, 14:55

Well, I watched this on YouTube yesterday, thank you Debbi for putting it up! I rated this one good. It was far from her best, but I did like it. My favorite line is when she says, Well Peter, so you're here.. I love it when Doris plays drunk, she's very funny when she did it. It wasn't as funny as her drunk scene in That Touch Of Mink, but it was still funny.. I just don't understand why her husband cheats on her. His wife is beautiful, he's making plenty of money.. He was such a... pig!!! And at the end, when he doesn't even tell her that she really didn't do anything and just keeps it from her...

Despite those few bad points, I still found someway to like it..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin » 16 Jun 2008, 16:45

never mind tue quality of the script....Doris is as good as always.....Marti

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 21 Jun 2008, 14:08

I agree with marti, any movie with doris is better than most movies. Doris is bright enough to out shine a so so script.. :roll: :D
suzie

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 21 Jun 2008, 15:59

I agree. A terrible script, but Doris mines some gold in it. I love a few of her line readings: "And her pickle!" and "That's a rock" and "You're rude!"
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 23 Jun 2008, 21:13

I agree with all of you. It far from being her best film, but it does have Doris in it! I think the writer thought it was funny that Doris' husband had a double standard. Since I put WWYWTLWO on youtube, so many people have thanked me, because they have never seen it before. Some of them said that they didn't buy it when it was on VHS because they heard it was a bad movie, but they often state that it is better than what is out there today.
The Doris Day Show

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson » 29 Jun 2008, 21:27

I've been dying to see this and fortunately, Deb posted it. Its not up to Doris's other fims, but it has its moments. The end sort of lost steam. It was as if someone said, "Enough. The movie isn't working lets just end it."

I love the red cape she wears towards the end. As you may have noticed, that outfit pops up in The Doris Day Show, when she goes in the interview at Today's World.

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Unread post by sunnygail » 24 Jul 2008, 15:14

First saw this movie when I was a kid, and gotta say I just love it. My favorite part was the two rather hefty guys in the elevator ( stuck there without food ) :lol: and looking everyone over like they were their next meal ...just too funny...patrick oneal was very sexy and cute. loved this movie.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 08 Aug 2008, 21:36

Sunny, I have to agree with you about the elevator part that was hilarious . :lol:
suzie

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus » 05 Sep 2008, 05:34

I watched the movie for the first time yesterday and... mmmh....

One of the few films ( I think only the second) I voted average - but as others said before: Not because of Doris. She looked beautiful and acted great as far as the script allowed her to.

I feel that the storyline itself was promising and they could have done much much more out of it.

I completely agree with John:
Then to top it all off, the movie ends with the husband deliberately perpetuating what he knows is a lie, making her think she cheated with Robert Morse so that she'll feel guilty and give up her career to have a baby. AND SHE DOES! This is NOT our independent, intelliegent Doris here. The script even has her lament that she's "tarnished," and undeserving of the pig as she gives into him at the end!

Now, I know that The Thrill of it All also has a cop-out ending where she gives up her career to have a baby, but in that one she's also just going back to the life she was very happy in before. In WWYWTLWO, she's giving up her career to have a baby, clearly a choice that the character had always had, but never made. And probably wouldn't have made had she not been tricked. No other leading man in her romantic comedies was as sexist and deceitful as the husband in this film. But unlike in all her other films, where the guy learns his lesson and learns how to earn Doris' love, this one gets away with it and Doris ends up duped by a cheater and a manipulator. It's just sad. On top of not being a particular funny film.
I didn't quite get the scenes with the razor-guy - Did they want to show that some people went over the edge because of the black-out?
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 05 Sep 2008, 17:27

I think whoever wrote the script for this film, thought it was pretty funny that the husband had a double standard. First the husband asks Doris to forgive him - he would forgive her if it was the other way around. Of course when he thinks she cheated on him he flips out, shooting off a gun, says things like "some things are sacred to a man". He only forgives her when he finds out nothing happened, and thinks it's ok to let her think she has done something wrong. I think it's sort of tacky. I don't have it up on youtube anymore, just the opening.
The Doris Day Show

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 05 Sep 2008, 19:02

Painful from beginning to end.

This is one of those high-concept ideas that sound riotously funny when they pitch it to the studio, but fall flat when it comes time to put it on film. No one has anything to be proud of with this film.

Doris, as usual, does what she can to rise above the terrible script and direction, but she quickly resorts to mugging and pratfalls to muddle through the mess. It's almost as if everyone is publicly ridiculing the girl next door image without cluing Doris in on the joke.

Hated it.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 06 Sep 2008, 05:54

I didn't "hate" it - but I didn't care for it very much either. I suppose if Doris wouldn't have been in it I'd have stopped watching after 10 minutes - I didn't think it was funny at all and the end was pretty stupid :roll: I think that's the worst of the movies I've seen with her :?

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 07 Sep 2008, 08:39

As for her worst films, it is a tossup between this one and "Tunnel of Love" for me. I even like parts of "Caprice" simply because of the visuals, the clothes and the slapstick segments. "Caprice" is just goofy enough that you have to love it. This film, on the other hand, is a complete misfire. Shame on Marty Melcher for getting her into this. I wish Doris would have put her foot down.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk » 10 Dec 2008, 13:27

BabeWilliams wrote:Well, I watched this on YouTube yesterday, thank you Debbi for putting it up! I rated this one good. It was far from her best, but I did like it. My favorite line is when she says, Well Peter, so you're here.. I love it when Doris plays drunk, she's very funny when she did it. It wasn't as funny as her drunk scene in That Touch Of Mink, but it was still funny.. I just don't understand why her husband cheats on her. His wife is beautiful, he's making plenty of money.. He was such a... pig!!! And at the end, when he doesn't even tell her that she really didn't do anything and just keeps it from her...

Despite those few bad points, I still found someway to like it..

I can't find it on youtube...is it still on there? :?
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~