Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?"?

Poor
18%
Average
48%
Good
22%
Excellent
12%

Total votes: 50

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Re: Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

Unread post by sunnygail » 14 Dec 2008, 11:24

Guess ,im one of the few who enjoyed this film lol. You sure dont see this one on the movie channels do you ? I havnt seen this picture in years. :shock: :wink:

Beverly Boyer

Unread post by Beverly Boyer » 03 Apr 2009, 19:49

I noticed the apron she wore in this film she ended up using several times in her show. I liked her performance inteh film... but it isn't my favorite. I did enjoy it though.

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree » 11 May 2009, 02:49

I just spent $30 to buy this movie on VHS. I don't think youtube has it anymore.
Well, $30 well spent to see Doris, even if the movie isn't good. But I'll let you know what I think when I've seen it.

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree » 17 May 2009, 12:31

I saw this movie last night. I enjoyed it better than I thought! I even rated it Good!
Maybe the story wasn't all that unusual, but it was entertaining.
Doris looked adorable. She was apx. 43 years old when making this movie, and her face looked like a little girl!
Her hair cut and the shade of blond was perfect for her.
It was funny that the part she played was a lot like Doris, herself, in a way that they called her a virginal typecast, as an actress. She was a Broadway actress in this movie, in case some of you have not seen it.
I hope this is on DVD soon along with other movies that are not on DVD yet. (region 1)
I really enjoyed the movie, and was worth the $30 on VHS! :D

clyde
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by clyde » 08 Sep 2009, 13:13

Hello everybody! Sorry for my english. I've been looking for the english subtitles for this film. And I have found only in swedish. Could anyone help me?

I'm looking as well the english subtiltes for the next films:
Do Not Disturb
The Ballad Of Josie
With Six You Get Eggroll

I'd be very grateful.
Anton.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 01 Jan 2010, 18:16

The movie was on tonight at TCM and Doris really looks stunning.I agree Lisa,it is fun to see how the character reflects on her own image.But such a shame the film is so liveless and does Doris wrong as an actress.I am waiting to get a chance to see WITH SIX...don't expect too much of the plot but anyway,it is Doris's last movie..
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 02 Jan 2010, 17:49

Melancholy-

With Six...is a much better film than Where were you...: I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka » 14 Jan 2010, 20:34

It was a "crying shame" to push Doris in that kind of movie. She is an excelent actress and deserved only the best.
Nada

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 17 May 2010, 14:59

Some previously unseen photos from the set of "Where Were You..." Sent to me by Puck - thanks!

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 30 Oct 2011, 16:59

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Terry-Thomas I love this actor :D

:D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 03 Nov 2011, 16:33

The man in the middle - between Miss Day and Mr. Thomas - is columnist Earl Wilson. He was a hugely popular show business reporter for many, many years. His column was carried in a number of newspapers across the country. He regularly reported on Miss Day and was "beside himself" when he was cast as himself in a small role in "Lights"

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 03 Nov 2011, 17:11

I was thinking of your description of queuing to see it, Paul, and of the audience applause - and of the huge amount of money it made - and I was wondering if it shouldn't be reassessed by DD fans who tend, generally, to not rate it very highly?

It was also the film in which Doris met someone she reportedly described as 'the love of her life', Patrick O'Neill, with her below.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 03 Nov 2011, 18:37

Bryan -

I don't think it's nearly the bad picture it has developed a reputation for being. Of course, I saw it at Radio City Music Hall with 6,000 other people, who absolutely loved it. When DD's name appeared in the credits there was enormous applause and at the end there was also sustained applause. In addition, I saw it several other times - in Boston with a sold-out audience at the Paramount and when it played Concord, NH, I watched it several times including a Saturday evening with a near sold-out house. I don't think it plays as well when watched on video or television without the benefit of hundreds or thousands of others watching. I think it works better with an audience. It is hardly in the top tier of Miss Day's films but it's had a bad rap, I think,l and should perhaps be reassessed. Sydney Guilaroff who did Miss Day's hair for the film, as he had for most but not all of her MGM releases, said it was a very happy set. Hy Averback, the Director knew Miss Day from the 1940's, and she loved working with him again. He had directed a lot of Bob Hope's radio shows that Miss Day appeared on. She also loved Glenn Connelly's clothes so much that she asked Glenn to do her wardrobe for "Eggroll". In New York City alone, the film was seen by more than 600,000 people during it's successful 6 week run at the Music Hall. Nationally, it was MGM's second biggest moneymaking film during the late Spring and summer season. I love the natural way she conducts the interview in the opening scene......it's so real and unaffected. The sleeping potion scene, in theatres, created in the words of one critic, "the greatest sustained laughter I have ever seen in 30 years of reviewing films....."
While it's no "Pillow Talk", "Daisies" or "Thrill of it All", it's also nothing for anyone associated with it to be ashamed of.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 03 Nov 2011, 19:16

If I might, I'd like to quote the first paragraph or two of the review for "Lights" that appeared in the June 17, 1968 issue of Box Office Magazine, one of the more important "trade publications" at the time.

"Using the famous New York City blackout of 1965 as its starting point, this sparkling MGM comedy takes off on its imaginative route. Doris Day's gifted talent for sophisticated comedy is ideal for her role as Broadway's top star, who is currently starring in a play called "The Constant Virgin" and who also yearns for a new image. This proves to be Miss Day's best vehicle since her golden era of "Please Don't Eat the Daisies", "Pillow Talk", "Lover Come Back" and "That Touch of Mink" a few years ago."

I don't think it compares to the other films or "Glass Bottom Boat" and "The Thrill of it All" for that matter, but it is hardly the debacle it has sometimes been portrayed as either.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 03 Nov 2011, 21:23

I agree with your assessment, Paul. I haven't seen it in years, but some time ago (over five years), I watched my video copy, and much to my surprise, I enjoyed it. I recall having seen it at a sneak preview in New York City with an audience that howled from start to finish. DD had had a couple of flops just prior to that, so I was happy to report how well it went over in a letter to Martin Melcher. He was grateful for the information, and sent me a lovely autographed photo of Doris (my first!).
Like Irene Dunne done.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 05 Nov 2011, 11:43

Howard - Thanks for your comments. I'd almost bet we probably saw it, initially, on the same date. MGM scheduled what were called "Exhibitor Screenings" in either late February or March of 1968 at about 50 theatres nationwide. I snagged an invite from a local theatre in Concord and saw it in Massachusetts. The theatre was filled and the audience howled. A week or so later, Variety ran a full page ad about the screenings and what a success they'd been with the cards filled out by audience members ranking it "excellent" in most cases. At 15, I was probably the youngest member of the audience but I knew I was in the presence of a film that was going to be popular that summer and went back to Concord and convinced the theatreowner who'd given me the invite to the screening, to book the movie, which she did. She never regretted it.

fontella

Unread post by fontella » 26 Nov 2012, 16:59

I have never seen this film, it's impossible to find!! Can anyone help?
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."- Albert Schweitzer

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 28 Nov 2012, 13:18

I don't think it's out on DVD and the VHS versions are going for about $30.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 29 Nov 2012, 18:18

fontella - anyone who hasn't seen it - I found a video file of it that someone sent me.

I posted it on my Google Drive so you can preview/watch it like on YouTube - or download until DVD comes out - if it ever does. It's not DVD quality but looks okay - you can watch in full screen.

Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BynK0g ... XNZa09lWVU

See if it works...

fontella

Unread post by fontella » 03 Dec 2012, 16:40

Thank you thank you thank you! The link works! :D
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."- Albert Schweitzer

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 03 Dec 2012, 17:07

Pleasure - let us know what you think.

fontella

Unread post by fontella » 28 Dec 2012, 18:48

Thanks again for the link! I watched the movie. Hmm... Doris is excellent as always. But the plot... it's objectionable. And Terry-Thomas' character is downright disgusting. Patrick O'Neall's isn't much better. The film had some good comedy though.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 29 Dec 2012, 11:44

I'm with Doris on this one....and am a great believer in saying too little rather than too much when it would be negative!

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin » 30 Dec 2012, 16:03

I enjoyed this movie, thanks for posting the link so we could watch it online!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 01 Oct 2014, 15:32

I agree with a previous comment that this script for Where Were You When The Lights Went Out is poor in quality.

I think if there had been a stronger cast with better comedic skills the picture could have been much better. I would have liked to see Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon or even Peter O' Toole in the Patrick O Neal part. Diane Cannon or Goldie Hawn would have brought a lighter tone to the Lola Albright part.

Like The Tunnel of Love, I think casting choices hampered the quality of the picture but the changes to the script were most important for a quality picture. Doris as usual was the real bright spot in the film.
Johnny