Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?"?

Poor
18%
Average
48%
Good
22%
Excellent
12%

Total votes: 50

jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

Unread post by jmichael » 18 Jan 2019, 17:47

Bryan, you are exactly right about Thomas. He always played himself.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 18 Jan 2019, 19:57

It is interesting to note that despite the criticism directed at Where Were You When The Lights Went Out, 41 DD Forum members rated the film average or better while 9 rated it poor.

The film earned $7,988,000 at the box office in the US, making it the 16th highest-grossing film of 1968.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 19 Jan 2019, 05:21

I'm pleased to read the film did well - however, I just don't particularly like it.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 19 Jan 2019, 08:39

On a Doris Day fan board, you're going to find people who love everything she does. If a film stars Doris Day, it is a good film simply because she's in it. I feel that way about April In Paris (a meh movie but bearable because Doris brings it to life) and even Caprice to some degree because Doris elevates the flimsy material.

Some movies that did not receive favorable critical reviews or do well at the box-office rated high with forum members:

Caprice: 83% voted it average, good to excellent w/ 10% of the voters rating it Excellent.

Josie: 83% voted it average, good to excellent w/ 11% rating it Excellent.

Tunnel Of Love: 76% voted it average, good to excellent w/ 12% rating it Excellent.

At the other end of the spectrum, 5% of the voters rated Love Me Or Leave Me as Poor. Say what?

Michael
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 19 Jan 2019, 13:40

I agree Michael - I'd watch Doris reading a restaurant menu! However, I can appreciate which of her films I don't care for [very few], which i like, which i love etc.

As for the lady herself, well, she blows me away and always has - I adore her, everything about her.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 19 Jan 2019, 17:15

I am loving this discussion on Where Were You When The Lights Went Out. Isn't it wonderful that a fifty year old film starring Doris Day can be a catalyst for so many valid points of view?

This discussion has made me think of other popular, award nominated films in the past (it is nominations season), that were critical and\ or commercial successes but I disliked for various reasons. I would be interested in seeing if other forum members have similar experiences.

I will introduce in OFF Topics a discussion on:Award Nominated Films Disliked
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 21 Jan 2019, 05:25

I don't hate this film but it was beneath her abilities.

The first time I felt that way was when I saw Do Not Disturb. In spite of the decent production values, respectable supporting cast, and Doris looking like dynamite, the script and direction were weak. Even someone as charismatic and charming as Doris Day can only do so much to offset threadbare material. As I've said before, the mid-sixties was a critical juncture in her film career. She needed to shake things up by finding better scripts, working with up and coming directors and accepting more challenging roles. The most beloved stars can fall back on their bag of tricks only so many times before audiences grow weary and move on to the next big thing. In Doris' case, she had the range to play a variety of roles that would have kept her film career going another ten years.

Michael
Michael H

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 21 Jan 2019, 12:12

I saw "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?" at a preview in New York City. Believe it or not, the film had the audience rolling in the aisles. They seemed to love it! Go figure!
Like Irene Dunne done.