Young Man With a Horn

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Young Man With a Horn"?

Poor
2%
Average
14%
Good
47%
Excellent
37%

Total votes: 43

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Young Man With a Horn

Unread post by webmaster »

What do you think of "Young Man With a Horn"?

http://www.dorisday.net/young_man_with_a_horn.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ken
Honorary Member

Young Man With a Horn

Unread post by Ken »

I think Doris did a very good job of acting in this dark movie. Her singing with Harry James backing her was excellent.

helen1985

Unread post by helen1985 »

This is the film I watched last night (im watching a different one each night)
I think I may need to watch it again before I can make up my mind!
There was no doubt that Doris' singing was beautiful, I would have liked to see a little more of Doris obviously! (its strange her not being the main character!
Her character was similar to how Imagined her real life starting with the bands so I felt alot of the time I was watching Doris as herself!
I wasnt keen on Lauren Bacall's character and it annoyed me when she spoke in the one tone all the way through the film! I wanted her to get excited about something just to show a variety!

I also wasnt convinced by Kirk douglas' trumpet playing all of the time. I know it wasnt him playing but I think it could have looked a bit more realistic!
It also ended quickly, I wanted to know what happened between Jo and Rick? I couldnt figure out if she was in love with him or just his music?

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I watched Young Man with a Horn today, and I thought it was a good movie. I give most of the credit to Michael Curtiz. This is definitely a Kirk Douglas movie, not only because he stars in it, but it is the type of intense character he often plays.

Doris Day was very good in the film. Her acting was very natural and, of course, her singing was great.

I think the characters of Jo and Rick really cared for each other, but Jo said she wasn't interested in a "married man" (married to his horn). Later when Rick becomes interested in Amy, Jo has regrets because she cares for him and she knows that Amy has problems. The film has a happy ending with Jo and Rick together and his career back on track.

Early in her career, Lauren Bacall was directed to talk in an even, low voice and it has become her signature trait. I think it fits in well with the character she portrays.

A couple of times I thought Kirk Douglas over acted a bit, but hey, it's Kirk Douglas.

I thought this film maybe a bit contraversial for the time period. Kudos to Warner Bros. for making it.
The Doris Day Show

Natalier

young man witha horn

Unread post by Natalier »

Any movie with Doris is good but this one was a bit different for her. I think it was a dark movie and like you said Debbi it was a Kirk Douglas movie. But Doris played a good part.
Its a great feeling

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

This is probably a good movie - but I don't enjoy it. I've never been a Kirk Douglas fan for one thing. It's a pretty dark movie and I agree there isn't enough Doris in it. I think she said in her book that it was a joyless experience making this one. I wondered if it reminded her too much of her bad 1st marriage. That would certainly be enough to make it joyless !

BUT --- her singing is exceptional - absolutely beautiful. The songs on the lp are wonderful. She holds her own with James trumpet solos. In fact - I think she surpasses him. The movie's worth it for her musical numbers.

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Thanks for posting that ! Just watching that much - I remember how much Kirk Douglas bothers me in this movie !!

Have you ever wondered why in DD's autobiography Kirk Douglas made those unkind statements about Doris ? Doris didn't make great comments about Kirk but they were nicer than Kirks. I always wondered if this movie with the band singing brought back bad memories for her and she had a hard time making this one. Of course - if she didn't reveal anything about those times - which I'm sure she didn't - then maybe thats the reason Kirk found her so "remote". With all the marvelous comments about Doris in her book, Kirk's comments stood out to me.

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

webmaster

Doris & Kirk

Was he a bit of a 'ladies' man' (wolf!) - perhaps Doris didn't fall for his charms?! 8)

Nice pic.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I suppose that could be -- he certainly seems full of himself most of the time. Not a big Kirk fan !

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Yes, Doris said she did NOT enjoy making YMWAH, partly because of the "ghost" of Al Jorden, and partly because she felt Betty Bacall and Kirk made her feel like an outsider.

However, that was her view looking back in the mid-70's. After the filming she and Marty were good friends with Kirk and Anne, and frequently socialized together. They had a huge falling out over the Jerome Rosenthal business (Kirk seemed to catch on to the scams and got out), and I don't think their relationship ever recovered. It's funny to see the footnote which Doris insisted be added to her book, responding to Kirk's comments. It was too late to change the printing, but she made sure her feelings about him were added as a footnote.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I was wondering about that. I've actually seen a couple of contracts for sale on ebay -- contracts with Kirk - Doris - Marty signatures pertaining to deals with Rosenthal. I know that Gordon Macrae was pretty badly taken in deals with them and Rosenthal. Too bad Doris wasn't aware of those business dealings way back then !

I'm glad she added her footnote - had her say about Kirk.
They seem pretty chummy in this photo and it had to be around 1956 or 57 judging from her hair.
Thanks for the info !

webmaster

Doris & Kirk

Yes, I thought I'd read that Kirk had been involved in some business venture
with Marty that lost money so that may have coloured his feelings.

As I understood it, he said he couldn't figure her out.
Well, I've had a lot worse things said about me! :oops:

Plus Doris isn't used to playing second fiddle!
Even to a vamp like Lauren! :lol:

You're the tops...

And John:
It's funny to see the footnote which Doris insisted be added to her book, responding to Kirk's comments. It was too late to change the printing, but she made sure her feelings about him were added as a footnote.
What did she say?

webmaster

The crow is dead.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Oh No !! Tear ! :(

webmaster

Did you notice Doris has a cigarette in her hand here? :oops: :shock: :(

It's like the Pope smoking cannabis.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Yes -- I have a few pictures of Doris with a cigarette. I think this was after Julie. I wondered if smoking in the movie got her started again. I know during her band days she smoked a couple of packs a day.
Cigarette's are like that - nasty habit - hard to stop ! I know from experience.

Here's one on the front of Metronome Oct. 1957 -- about the same time frame at the pic with Kirk. I think.

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon »

You made me laugh out loud twice , Bryan. First "the crow is dead" remark and then " it's like the pope smoking cannabis" I think Doris started smoking as a teenager. Anyway, at one time it was sexy to smoke and she holds that cigarette pretty elegantly. Doris and Kirk look like they are flirting. He sure is looking at her intensly.
If I didn't mention it recently, I enjoy all the neat pictures people are posting. Toni is prolific at it. I still haven't mastered the technology.
And one more thing. I liked you best as Wild Bill.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

This discussion made me curious about what Kirk actually said about Doris. I got my copy out - and have leafed through it - but I can't find the Kirk quote. So - all of a sudden I'm reading the book again ! ... its been about 3 years since I read the book and its so interesting to read it again. When I come across it, I'll post what he did say.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Comments -

Unread post by Jas1 »

John M - you hit the nail right on the head, I was always intrigued about the Doris/ Kirk thing and even in 1989 in the BBC interview when asked about leading men when Kirk is one of those mentioned, Doris chooses not to go there. You are likely very correct it was the Rosenthal thing that strained their friendship, for certainly there was a spark [of the good kind] between them, especially in the pic above, two very sexy people!

Dayniac, yes, as i have said before, every time I read this book [the last time was last summer] I get something else from it; it is so much more than an autobiography.

Wonder what Doris thought of Brando and he of her? If he was attracted to Shelly Winters [no offence] he must have had the hots for Doris. From the book I read on him, he certainly enjoyed Rock too.........!!!!!!

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Just came across this picture of Doris and Kirk singing -- I assume for her radio program. Anyone know for sure on this one ? Looks like they're getting along fine at this point.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Yup, that's a shot from DD's radio show. They dueted on the song "Red Hot Henry Brown."

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Doris did really acting natural and also Hoagy Carmichel, I didn't like the acting of Lauren Bacall, and Kirk Douglas was too dramatic, I think Doris did make the movie because she was so natural and simple, and her singing was great, In my eyes Doris Day did made a better job than Kirk Douglas and Lauren Bacall.

ImageImageImage

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I just saw this movie.. it was ok..

I would have preferred to see Doris more.. and her singing more..

I mean.. it took like FOREVER for Doris to enter.. and the ending of the movie didn't leave me satisfied.. what happens with Jo and oh.. what's his face... I can't even remember the character's name..

i don't much care for Kirk either.. that's probably why I couldn't remember the characters name...

anyway. I rated it.. ok.. or.. it was 1 step lower than excellent... can't remember what it is. I think I'm sick. and I still have like 4 hours left of school =[[
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Image Image

webmaster

Day, Douglas