Young Man With a Horn

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Young Man With a Horn"?

Poor
2%
Average
14%
Good
47%
Excellent
37%

Total votes: 43

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Love the new avatar, Bryan,

That 1st picture is an odd one, Puck. What stars have to do in the name of cinematography.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

what new avatar?? his looks the same to me
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Re: Young Man With a Horn

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Okay I just watched this today - well, I'm neither a big Kirk Douglas fan nor a big Lauren Bacall fan (she just always seems like an iceberg to me) - and there wasn't enough Doris in it but *overall* I think it was okay to watch. I really wondered why Kirk's character fell for Lauren's character - she seemed such a misery and Jo was so much nicer (plus she was Doris Day :lol: ) probably the looks :mrgreen:
Anyway .... interesting to read what you guys pointed out in this post about the Doris/Kirk relationship - unfortunately I don't have the autobio of Doris (yet) - anyone mind telling me what she put in in that extra note about Kirk?? I'd be really interested :D

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

In her autobiography Doris says that making YMWAH was one of her most unpleasant movie experiences. Douglas and Bacall were old friends (I believe she even helped to get him into movies), and they cliqued off together. DD felt left out. That's the way I remember it. I'm not sure, but the role as a big band singer reminded DD of her unpleasant marriage to Al Jorden, so that certainly didn't help matters.
Like Irene Dunne done.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

To much bacall and douglas. Loved my doris though. Didnt like this movie to much. :(
suzie

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

I'm with you Suzie.

Not nearly enough Doris and was one of my least favorites.

Carol

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Even in black and white, Doris was GORGEOUS! i LOVED HER in this movie...could not give you two cents for Kirk or Lauren. Didn't I read somewhere that Kirk and Lauren were having somewhat of a fling during this movie, which would naturally put Doris "on the outs"?
Bryan and John...I LOVE YOUR POSTS...you guys are really very very clever. Wish I knew you both in person.
I am sure that this film brought back lots of memories for Doris...not ALL unhappy ones. After all, she speaks very sentimentally (pun) about her days with Les Brown and the boys...and this movie reflects that role as "singer w/a band"...so I am sure the memories were not ALL bad!
I especially loved the stage scene where she sings TOO MARVELOUS.
By the way...this collection of music was a BIG BIG seller in its time!

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

This one gets better with repeated viewings.

I really like the fact that it was filmed in moody, atmospheric B & W and that no one in this film is happy. It is a very dark film. None of the characters ever connect with anyone and they all seem to be operating in a haze of denial and confusion. There is a palpable sense of unrequited yearning among the three lead characters: none of them end up with the object of their desire. They are all left wanting.

It was also pretty daring and cool that they made the Bacall character a lesbian.

Even with the optimistic ending (which detracts considerably), I thought this film was absorbing and interesting. And I love Doris' singing in this: she simply is too marvelous for words.

Thumbs up from my section of the balcony.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Like your comment, jmichael. It sums it up well. I like the relationship that Douglas' character had with his mentor. I thought Douglas' acting was a little over the top. Doris was so natural and Bacall was Bacall.

At this point, I thought Warner Bro was ahead of it's time. When they made The Winning Team I thought they "dropped the ball'. They should have explained that when Alex the Great got hit in the head it caused him to have epilepsy.
The Doris Day Show

jmichael
Honorary Member

Debbi, thanks for the compliment. I tend to agree that Douglas was over-the-top in a few scenes but I thought he captured the anger of the character quite well. I wish the filmmakers had been more faithful to the real life character the film is based on (Bix Beiderbecke) and allowed him to die at the end. Of course, that would have made for a very depressing ending but in reality he was never able to conquer his demons.

Michael
Michael H

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Another Doris movie tonight, and this was it. It's a good movie. I wish Doris had a bigger part. Being a musician, I like movies on music, and this one was good. Not my favorite. But Doris was great as always, and her singing is flawless.

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Re:

Unread post by pillowtalk »

webmaster wrote:The crow is dead.
What does this mean? Haha, I'm sorry I have to ask. :lol:
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

Very dark and depressing film. Interesting but not one I wish to see again.
It was quite bleak and though Doris' singing and Harry James' trumpet were grand -- I can see why she did not like making this film.
She did make the most of her material. The others were excellent I would have to say. Michael Curtiz as Director was a master of this genre.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Rated this one excellent,it is a very touching movie and so nostalgic in black & white.Eventhough Doris did not have the leading role,I still think it is a great performance.I don't think K.Douglas was all that bad.I truly enjoyed it and L.Bacall to mo is just like looking at a moving statue,wheras Doris is glamorous and shiny,radiant.
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Unread post by lovemeorleaveme »

I agree with the poster who said there was not enough Doris in this movie. She, as always, was fantastic, but after reading (in Doris' autobiography) about how Kirk and Lauren treated her during the filming, I don't enjoy the movie nearly as much as I did before. I do think they all did a great job, but somehow the movie leaves me feeling depressed (not sure why---maybe because of the dark, brooding atmosphere of the movie...?)

Well, clearly I should not be allowed to critique Doris' movies...I am too biased!! LOL
I love anything Doris does, so I cannot be objective!! :)

I hope you're all having a lovely "Day"!!
Rachel

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

The music in this film is fabulous! Trumpeter Harry James and Doris - wow .. now that's a combo! I also love the theme music for this film ... it sets the movie up for what's to come. Really enjoy this flick!
Like Irene Dunne done.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

That scene in this flick with Doris sitting on the boardwalk in early morning makes me feel like you have been there even if you weren't born yet at that time. What is the word for that familar feeling? Love that secene :D

jmichael
Honorary Member

ray wrote:That scene in this flick with Doris sitting on the boardwalk in early morning makes me feel like you have been there even if you weren't born yet at that time. What is the word for that familar feeling? Love that secene :D
Ray,

I think you're referring to the term "deja vu" which is defined as "the illusion of having previously experienced something actually being encountered for the first time." BTW, Dionne Warwick had a hit record with a song called "Deja Vu" back in the early 70's (I think).

Michael
Michael H

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

mikeydv wrote:Even in black and white, Doris was GORGEOUS! i LOVED HER in this movie...could not give you two cents for Kirk or Lauren. Didn't I read somewhere that Kirk and Lauren were having somewhat of a fling during this movie, which would naturally put Doris "on the outs"?
Bryan and John...I LOVE YOUR POSTS...you guys are really very very clever. Wish I knew you both in person.
I am sure that this film brought back lots of memories for Doris...not ALL unhappy ones. After all, she speaks very sentimentally (pun) about her days with Les Brown and the boys...and this movie reflects that role as "singer w/a band"...so I am sure the memories were not ALL bad!
I especially loved the stage scene where she sings TOO MARVELOUS.
By the way...this collection of music was a BIG BIG seller in its time!
ME TOO you are quite right

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Just a little trivia: Juano Hernandez was a Puerto Rican actor who had the role of Art Hazzard. His trumpet playing was dubbed by Doris's former colleague Jimmy Zito, with whom she was in Les Brown's band and who had also played with Tommy Dorsey. If you have seen a clip of her appearance on a Tonight Show episode, you may recall that she particularly asks if Zito is in the band that day. (He was.)

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

While Doris was filming her first scene in Young Man With A Horn, she met Hoagy Carmichael on the set and asked for his advise. He told Doris to ignore the camera, be natural and sincere. I think this advise stayed with Doris during her entire film career and her audience loved her for this.

Doris' rendition of With A Song In My Heart is so sensitive and memorable.

Doris' character was described as a light or candle in the darkness in the film.

A piece of trivia: Hoagy Carmichael gave Bix as a middle name to one of his sons.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I find Young Man With A Horn more interesting as the years go by. It has so many layers and an interesting cast. I did think Kirk Douglas performance was overwrought. He could have brought his performance down a notch. I would have liked to see Gregory Peck play the part.

Here is the information on the DVD jacket.

Front jacket cover:
"Put down your trumpet jazzman -I'm in the mood for love"

Back jacket cover:

A white-hot drama about a red-hoot jazzman.

With a second-hand trumpet and the loving guidance of a brilliant bluesman, a lonely boy grows into manhood as a superb musician whose talent carries him from honky-tonks to posh supper clubs.

But his disparate search for the elusive high-note trapped in his mind but impossible to play starts him on a boozy downward slide. Charged with dynamic performances by Kirk Douglas,(the title role), Doris Day, Lauren Bacall, Carmichael and pitch-perfect direction by Michael Curtiz (Casablanca) the film is a feast of hot, cool, moody jazz. Legendary Harry James dubbed Douglas' horn work. Day brings another fine instrument -her voice- to four standards.
Movie and music lovers will be glad to meet this Man.

Special Features:

Doris Day trailer gallery.
Johnny

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Being that its Kirk's 100th birthday is good reason to rewatch this with Doris's wonderful singing and her first drama. The feel of the jass clubs and big band dance hall gives us a glimpse into her singing days and the broadwalk early morning scene is seductive and dreamy.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Young Man With A Horn - 1950
Young Man With A Horn - 1950
In Tom Santopietro's book Considering Doris Day, it is written about Doris in Young Man With A Horn, "In this, her fourth film, it is apparent that no matter what the role, Day is a star without irony. She is the perfect embodiment of post- World War 11 America, when problems were deemed solvable with a little determination and a lot of straightforward positive thinking. The reflexive, and usually self-protective, irony of the baby boomer generation is absolutely foreign to Doris Day. It is this direct quality that made her such a big star and also made her a target for derision from the baby boomers as they came of age."

I find this quote interesting in that Doris Day remains one of Hollywood's and the world's most loved entertainers.In 1950, Doris Day won the Laurel Award (theatre owners) for leading new personality in motion pictures.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Another interesting passage about Young Man With A Horn in Tom Santopietro's book Considering Doris Day reads: "Day referred to the making of Young Man With A Horn as an utterly joyless experience. Joyless in execution it may have been , but Young Man With A Horn served the important function of alerting viewers to the fact that Doris Day was an actress of surprising depth and was capable of playing much more than the simple girl next door. This increased stature makes it all the more unfortunate that she was right back she started, silly plots and all, with her second release of 1950, Tea For Two"?
Johnny