Storm Warning

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Storm Warning"?

Poor
No votes
Average
15%
Good
56%
Excellent
29%

Total votes: 52

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Storm Warning

Unread post by webmaster »

What do you think of "Storm Warning"?

Ralph's headline has spread around the Internet: "The only film in which Doris Day dies"

http://www.dorisday.net/storm_warning.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ken
Honorary Member

Storm Warning

Unread post by Ken »

This isn't a movie I watch very often. This is the only movie where Doris dies. I rate this as Good.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Storm Warning

Unread post by ray »

This is an overlooked mini cult classic! Doris character risking all for the handsome hunk who turns out to be one of the klansman. Also where can you find Ginger Rogers, Ronald Reagan and Doris in the same film good or bad? Thought this was going to be released this year with the previews on last years DD Movie Collection DVD boxed set,

ray
I danced with Doris!

Streetcar

Unread post by ray »

This flick had shades of, Streetcar Named Desire, written all over it!

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

Storm Warning does have shades of Street Car Named Desire. Storm Warning is a very good movie.I think Doris did a good job of acting along with Steve Cochran and old favorite Ginger Rogers.

webmaster

Storm Warning

One of those great Warners 'social issues' films - with the loud dramatic music - listen to the opening music on the page if you haven't already.

Like the James Cagney - Humphrey Bogart films Warners made.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Pam
Honorary Member

Storm Warning

Unread post by Pam »

I was very fortunate to be able to get a tape of "Storm Warning." Doris did a fantastic job with this part and held her own with Ginger Rogers, an actress she respected and admired. This was a good movie.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Storm Warning

Unread post by Jas1 »

This is one (of a handful) of Doris' films I have not seen) so cannot rate it!

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

A good movie. One of those striving for realism - 50's gritty movies. A really hot topic - kind of unusual to make a movie about. Doris did a great job.

And a couple of happy pictures - don't go along with the feel of the movie !

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

webmaster

Pics

Thanks - great pics - I may add a couple to the site when I next update it!

Also liked the one of Doris and Myrna Loye you posted elsewhere - they looked like they got on very well - also in the film, Midnight Lace.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

WB is famous for their dramatic and social issue films. I thought Doris and Steve Cochran were very good in this film. I didn't realize that Steve had prior experience in drama. I always see him and poor Virginia Mayo in films with Danny Kaye.

A question I have is that it has been reported that Doris was upset when she made Young Man with a Horn and Midnight Lace, because it reminded her of the abuse she suffered from Al Jordon. I just wondered why she didn't feel that way during Storm Warning?

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Debbie, I have often wondered the same thing.Doris was not thrilled to do Julie,or Midnight lace, because of the trama inflicted on her from Al Jorden.
Im sure Storm warning stirred up many BAD memories for our girl as well.Back when doris made this movie I dont think she had a choice,as to weather or not to do the film.Her later movies like Midnight lace and Julie,she DID have a choice.More often than not Marty talked(or should I say BEGGED her) to do these films. Doris loved her husband and always seemed to give in to him.

But in all fairness marty did agree with dodo that she should never do another movie like this again,after she collapsed and Marty realized how painful these kind of movies where for her. :(
suzie

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

TRIVIA

Unread post by Ralph »

Trivia for
Storm Warning (1951)

The studio wanted Lauren Bacall and Doris Day to star in the film, but Bacall went to Africa with her husband Humphrey Bogart to film The African Queen (1951)

ImageImageImage

Joan Crawford was asked by studio boss Jack L. Warner to play Doris Day's sister in the film, Joan declined saying "Come on, Jack. No one would ever believe that I would have Doris Day for a sister!"

http://imdb.com/title/tt0044075/trivia

Note: In the pictures above from "Storm Warning," have you noticed that Ginger is wearing the same outfit and Doris is wearing three different ones?

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Re: Storm Warning

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

very good movie - unfortunately I knew before that Doris was gonna die - otherwise it would have been
even better to me I suppose.
Doris works very well with Ginger Rogers - actually i've never seen the later to do such a serious movie without dancing :? . And Doris was good in her role ... surprisingly different movie

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

You should check out Kitty Foyle - Ginger won her academy award for that dramatic role.
Good movie !
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Re- the different outfits of Doris [and not Ginger] - from the Kaufman book WB archives show there was some debate about Doris' character's wardrobe that initially did not look 'drab enough'- several internal memos later, I guess they got the desired look for the character.

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

ok - I'll look out for KITTY FOYLE - I really haven't seen much of her movies!

And - Joan Crawford was right - she'd have never been believable as Doris' sister - totally opposite in looks and character - maybe halfsister??? :D

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Or wicked sister.....??????

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Jas1 wrote:Or wicked sister.....??????
or a combination - wicket stepsister!! I would probably have believed that :wink:

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

This movie was really deep. Not what you mught call a relaxing type movie. Doris did a great job as always...
suzie

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

I have this movie that I taped several years ago on VHS. It is quite a different movie for Doris. I didn't like the ending because I didn't want her to die. Ginger Rogers was good but I always think of her as dancing. Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire were the two most perfect dancers I've ever seen. I love watching their movies. The movie is good but not one of my favorites.
Carol

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

suzie wrote:This movie was really deep. Not what you mught call a relaxing type movie. Doris did a great job as always...
she did - I rewatched it again - and I liked it even better. I think its a very good movie ... critical storyline - I like those kind of movies - not the typical DD movie but I wish she would have done more movies like that - she could pull it of and was very believable ... would have been interesting to see her in Ginger Rogers' role :wink:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Doris wouldn't have been right for the Ginger role until about ten years later - circa 1960!

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Jas1 wrote:Doris wouldn't have been right for the Ginger role until about ten years later - circa 1960!
you're probably right - still an interesting thought :wink:

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Well, this has always been the movie I wanted to see the least, but Anke "made me" ;-) do it last night.

I was positively surprised, it is a really good movie. Just that I couldn't enjoy it 100% as there was always the thought "she's gonna die" in the back of my head. So everytime it could have happened (the clan leader visits the house, Hank pushes her against the wall) I thought that was it now...

Nevertheless I think Lucie didn't "need to" die.... There are movies where death is the only logical ending but not in this case, I feel.

As far as I remember it was the first movie with Ronald Reagan I watched - That guy had a wonderful voice!

It's not a movie I will watch very often, but I did like it.
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea