Storm Warning

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Storm Warning"?

Poor
No votes
Average
15%
Good
56%
Excellent
29%

Total votes: 52

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Re: Storm Warning

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Well I think the ending made it even more shocking - how unnecessary it all was kind of. I don't know - I thought the ending was "good" not in terms that she died of course - I certainly didn't want her to die *but* somehow that made the message of the movie even clearer cause the nicest and most innocent of them had to "pay" ... I dont know whether I made myself clear enough.... hmmmm....

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Mmmh... Good point!

As I said yesterday, it was good that Marsha didn't die, as she was the only one with the courage to stand up.
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Theodomus wrote:Mmmh... Good point! :D

As I said yesterday, it was good that Marsha didn't die, as she was the only one with the courage to stand up.
yeah - but she had to suffer as well - in the end her courage didn't get her anywhere ... she lost her "only relativ in the world" - wasn't that what that guy said earlier in the movie? That they didn't have anyone else family-wise? So somehow all of them had to "pay"
I think its really interesting how I would have reacted if I had been in Marsha's place - I really don't know whether I would have told the truth or not ... obviously she loved her sister very much and she didn't even have time to think it over very long ....well, that movie certainly made me think :D

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

Seven Cockran did have crazy eyebrows, didn't he? He was later the consort of Mame van Doren. Meow.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I've never seen this one, but I really want to.. I LOVE Ginger Rodgers! And plus, this is the only movie where Doris dies..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

cranhill
Special Contributer

Unread post by cranhill »

Hi,

Storm Warning is available on Region 1 DVD (USA) so why have you not got it in your collection :)

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

I had NO idea it was out on dvd... Thanks for the information, that one will definitely be next on my list!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Unread post by sunnygail »

Doris as always was great in this movie . The movie is very dark and I am not a fan of such movies. I love Doris in her comedys best.

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

I just watched this on DVD from Netflix. I rated it a good movie.
It was nice to see Doris in a drama for a change. It really shows off her acting ability.
At first, I wondered how Ginger Rogers could play Doris Day's sister. And, Ginger is quite a bit older than Doris. Doris once said she watched Ginger Rogers when she was a child, and was happy to be in a movie with her. But Ginger looks so youthful, and they even looked like sisters! I never would have thought!
This movie is very much worth watching, because it is a drama that Doris is in!

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Just watched the entire movie on You Tube. It was an effective drama that made strong points about racism and small town hypocrisy. I thought the way the film depicted the cowardly ways of the Klan and how they tried to indoctrinate children into their ranks and brutalize women was very disturbing. And there was nothing pretentious or preachy about this film. It let the events of the story speak for themselves. I really wish Doris had appeared in more gritty dramas like this. She had the acting chops to do it.

The only serious criticism I have is the domestic triangle between Ginger, Doris and Steve Cochran. This was a direct copy of the Blanche, Stella, Stanley dynamic in "A Streetcar Named Desire." Right down to the muscular blue collar hubby in a tight tee shirt who tried to rape the older sister. That was the only downside to an otherwise solid melodrama.

I thought Doris' death gave the ending even more emotional weight.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Renny

Unread post by Renny »

Michael, I had always believed as you do that "Storm Warning" liberally borrowed from the "Streetcar Named Desire" film until I did a little research. An interesting bit of trivia is that "Storm Warning" was filmed from 11/11/49 until late January, 1950. She made this film directly after she had filmed "Young Man with a Horn," her fourth film. Interestingly, this film was made BEFORE Tea for Two" and "West Point Story," but released after the latter. I often wonder if Jack Warner thought two dramas in a row would detract the film audience from Doris's musical talents. At any rate, "Storn Warning" was not released until 2/10/51.

Sorry, I got sidetracked. "Streetcar Named Desire" was filmed between August and October of 1950. "Streetcar Named Desire" had its New York premiere on 9/19/51. Clearly, these dates are after the "Storm Warning" production dates. Of course "Streetcar" was orginally a Broadway production and who's to say that "Storm Warning" didn't borrow from the Broadway production.

On a personal note, I do not enjoy Doris's character in this film. As "Julie" and "Midnight Lace," I feel Doris plays the victim in this film. The Doris I know and love would left the Steve Cochran character long before Ginger Rogers appears on the scene. Doris Day working in a bowling alley? Give me a break!
I'd enjoy going out with you, Mr. Beasley, if I just didn't find you so personally distasteful....

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

I have been dying to see this one, and just discovered it is posted in 23 parts on YouTube. So tonight I sat in my bedroom and watched it.

I rated it Excellent. Doris Day's acing was superb in this movie, as was Ginger Rogers', and you could really believe they were sisters. The entire movie was a bit creepy, but the ending was especially creepy. Seeing the klan all in their robes, and Hank shooting Lucy and then himself. I almost started crying with Ginger Rogers at the end as she held her dead sister.. It was all very sad, and touching. I felt this movie was quite deep.. It seemed like almost everyone in town was involved with the klan. Even the children.. I've always found the KKK very interesting though, along with the holocaust and things like that. In fact I'm taking a WWII/Holocaust English class next year, our school doesn't offer a KKK one but if they did I'd probably take it.

This isn't a movie I'd just stick in and watch just anytime. I think it's more of a movie to watch on days when you're just in one of those moods to watch a sad, depressing movie.
Megan
-----------------

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

But Megan, the KKK is not history. The KKK is alive and well, and that is bad news!
I liked Doris in this movie too, because it's such a different kind of movie for her to be in. The death scene was very sad, and also because she was pregnant. :cry:
The movie was a downer, but we really learned something from it.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

That was a nice post, Megan - and an interesting reply, littlepinetree.

There will always be racists - part of me thinks racism is just fear of people who are different that some people can't cope with and to some extent we are all fearful. That's why I like living in London because you get used to all races and it's a big melting pot and you just see everyone as part of the human race.

As an aside, I don't understand how you can watch full-length Warner movies on YouTube and yet they closed down my Doris sites twice because 'Warner Bros complained' - even though there are also hundreds of Warner clips on there. Anyone understand that? If I was paranoid, I'd think that someone was out to get me!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

I find it hard to watch full length movies on youtube, because with all the links, it breaks up the movie too much, but it is free anyway! Every time I start watching a movie on youtube, I never finish the movie, and end up watching it from netflix. I'm almost finished watching all the Doris Day movies that netflix has to offer! After that, I'll try to get a hold of some of her more rare movies, that are harder to find.
I'm having such fun watching her movies! I wasn't brought up with her movies, so I'm watching these for the first time!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I know 'It's a Great Feeling' was shown in 1989 by BBC when they aired a short season of Doris' films to coincide with the 'I don't even like apply pie' documentary.

I thought it was released recently too on dvd box set?

webmaster

"As an aside, I don't understand how you can watch full-length Warner movies on YouTube and yet they closed down my Doris sites twice because 'Warner Bros complained' - even though there are also hundreds of Warner clips on there. Anyone understand that? If I was paranoid, I'd think that someone was out to get me!"

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

kapplehoff wrote:
Jas1 wrote:I know 'It's a Great Feeling' was shown in 1989 by BBC when they aired a short season of Doris' films to coincide with the 'I don't even like apply pie' documentary.

I thought it was released recently too on dvd box set?

YES U CAN GET THAT BOX SET BUT IT'S REGION 2 SO ONLY FOR USA DVD PLAYERS.
Actually, Region 2 is Central & Western Europe, Egypt & South Africa, not the U.S. The U.S. is Region 1. It's A Great Feeling will be released in a Region 1 boxset in April, but it's not available yet.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

No, the UK is in Region 2. Now anyone that owns a region free player can watch any dvd.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

There's lots of software available that allows you to copy a DVD from a different Region to your computer and then make a DVD in your own Region from it. That's what I do if I want a DVD only available for Region 1 (USA, etc) (Caprice, Teacher's Pet, etc were previously only available on Region 1 - I'm Region 2, Europe, etc)

VideoLAN - VLC media player is free software that should allow you to do it:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

You have to be slightly geeky and be comfortable with computers to go down this road. :wink:

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

webmaster wrote:"As an aside, I don't understand how you can watch full-length Warner movies on YouTube and yet they closed down my Doris sites twice because 'Warner Bros complained' - even though there are also hundreds of Warner clips on there. Anyone understand that? If I was paranoid, I'd think that someone was out to get me!"
That is a bit strange, isn't it? I've watched several movies on YouTube, and they're still there.. Maybe you should write them a letter and tell them you think they're being unfair..
Megan
-----------------

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

I did saw the movie, and Miss Day did a great job even Ginger Rogers, a different kind of movie we are used by her, do like the movie, but not the end.

webmaster

Great pic, Puck - just saw it. I've saved it for when I update dorisday.net again - thanks.

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Unread post by Day&MacRae »

I just bought Storm Warning on itunes! I can’t wait to watch it! YAY! :D :D :D
~Kimberly~

DayDreamer
Forum Friend

Unread post by DayDreamer »

I just finished watching this movie and I rated it "Good". It's obviously different from all other movies with Doris I've seen up until now, but the story was gripping and I find the social issues in the movie very interesting ("American History X" is one of my favorite movies of all time). Just a little more Doris would have been nice. :wink:
Theodomus wrote:Nevertheless I think Lucie didn't "need to" die.... There are movies where death is the only logical ending but not in this case, I feel.
When it became clear to me that Hank was one of the bad guys, I started to think how this was going to end. After all Lucy was pregnant, and a divorce seemed unlikely. And what Haymerketaddict said, the most innocent person had to pay the price. I think the movie got an extra dramatic ending with the death of Lucy (although I was ofcourse shocked that our sweet Doris died). In my opinion her death was a logical ending (but not THE logical ending).
Would you please get off this line!