I'll See You in My Dreams

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "I'll See You in My Dreams!

Poor
No votes
Average
2%
Good
34%
Excellent
64%

Total votes: 47

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

I'll See You in My Dreams

Unread post by webmaster »

What do you think of "I'll See You in My Dreams"?

http://www.dorisday.net/i_ll_see_you_in_my_dreams.html

Love the way Doris sings "I'll See You in My Dreams"
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ken
Honorary Member

I'll See You In My Dreams

Unread post by Ken »

I really enjoy this movie and love Doris singing I'll See You In My Dreams. Doris and Danny Thomas were good together.Too bad they didn't make another movie together. Good Warner Brothers cast.

howard
Special Contributer

love it!

Unread post by howard »

This is one of my all-time favorites. The unlikely pairing of DD with Danny Thomas really works ... I liked their chemistry together. Even the black and white photography works for me ... it lends itself to the period. The songs, the supporting cast ... all of it is top-drawer!

Jas1
Honorary Member

in my dreams

Unread post by Jas1 »

I love this film too and how Doris sings the title song and songs such as 'My Buddy' - used years later on the Best Friends show with Rock Husdson.

joe t.

Unread post by joe t. »

"See You In My Dreams" was the first of Doris' pictures that I saw at New York's Radio City Music Hall. "Dreams" was the featured movie along with the famous Christmas stage show. It was a big treat for me to be taken to the "big city" to see a Doris Day movie!

Although primarily a "musical", the story was of real people with real problems. Doris' role as Grace Kahn was not simply "fluffy" but had more dimension to it than many of her other parts and she responded with a well-rounded performance including several dramatic scenes. Somehow, she and Danny Thomas "clicked" as a couple. They were believable and the audience cared about them.

Then I found out that there was an album of songs from the film. I had never owned an album before, just a few singles of the old 78 rpm format which were called "discs". I went to my local record shop and placed an order for the album. I think it took about three months to arrive at the store (pure torture for me) but when I finally got it home, it was like gold. I loved every recording, my favorite being "The One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else" with the title song as my 2nd favorite.

This movie remains a solid favorite of mine, certainly one of Doris' best all-around performances, and it would be nice to see it again. However, it might be a good idea for someone to edit out the sequence where Doris sings "Toot Toot Tootsie, Goodbye" in blackface. Not politically correct anymore and very insensitive even then but it caused no problem at that time, at least among white audiences.

Joe

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

I prefer to see a movie the way it was filmed not edited.

webmaster

Scenes from "I'll See You in My Dreams"

Scenes from "I'll See You in My Dreams":

simtrek

Unread post by simtrek »

Hi thought the film was swell your timing between song lines immpeccable...just SWELL!!! love to see Calamity film song short thanx for the treat! I also enjoyed the actuall movie .

webmaster

Shucks!

Shucks! :oops:

I'm really goofing off too much on Doris when I should be working! But I love doing it!

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

Great job Bryan.

Kitty

I'll see you in my dreams

Unread post by Kitty »

Brian - that was wonderful - thank you so much. You did a beautiful job on that - best I've ever seen. I like the movie very much. I think it has a very interesting story and Doris and Danny Thomas certainly did click. The part I liked the best was when Doris was singing one of Danny's songs (forget the name of it) for a record producer and 'sold' the song beautifully. She was pregnant at this particular time but she looked particularly lovely and sang the song just so beautifully. I would have liked it to be in colour tho, but I guess that's the way it was back then!!
:lol: Kitty

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I just watched this again last night. I really like this movie. They were so good together. A good bio movie - some bio movies are pretty bad. Great songs - Doris was wonderful as usual. Very enjoyable.

I agree that the black face number showed the times. You had Jolson doing blackface. And lots of other people doing blackface. You had Amos and Andy on the radio and they were white doing black on the radio !
I prefer to see the movie with that scene included.

Here are a couple of photos of Doris in blackface.
The first one is a strange one !

This is another:
http://i17.tinypic.com/4xwvuwm.jpg
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Doris giving the real Grace Kahn a kiss.

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

WOW... I just saw this movie for the 1st time today...
out of the 17 of her movies I've seen...
this one jumped right to the top!!!
This movie was great and I rated it excellent...
Doris looked lovely and was absolutely...
MARVELOUS!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Yes, Babe, isn't it great? It's one of my faves. She and Danny Thomas had such full and interesting characters and played so well together. Great music, too.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

yes John, it is great!!! I almost changed my screen name to Grace Khan...
but then I thought it might confuse people...
Doris looked lovely and sang lovely...
what else can you say?
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

A have a GINEORMOUS question...

What does the title and the song have to do with the movie... I can't figure it out for myself... so I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me
Megan
-----------------

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

The song, "Ill See You In My Dreams" was one of Gus Kahn's biggest hits. It doesn't describe much about the story, but it's a catchy title. Just that simple.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

HUGEMONGOUS QUESTION..

why was Grace unconscious after she had her first baby.. it's really confusing and bugging me..
Megan
-----------------

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Megan, in that time period in the U.S. it was pretty common for a woman to be put under anesthetic to deliver a baby. "Natural" childbirth made a return in the very late 1960's and early 1970's and grew to be the accepted method today. Joan Rivers used to joke about how she had an old fashioned childbirth with her daughter Melissa: they knocked her out at the first sign of labor pains and woke her up when the hairdresser showed up! :lol:

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

hmmm that sounds a little strange to me.. well thanks for clearing that up!!!
Megan
-----------------

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Megan, that's what most everyone in late 60's and early 70's said about natural childbirth. LOL :lol: It was considered a "hippie" thing for a long time. It's funny how times change. There weren't too many sitcoms of the era that didn't feature an episode about some young woman choosing natural childbirth and throwing the family into turmoil for 30 minutes.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

really??? wow.. I guess it just depends on what time era you were raised in..
Megan
-----------------

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Re: I'll See You in My Dreams

Unread post by suzie »

I saw this movie for the second time just the other day and wow what a great movie..Danny and doris really clicked.
Doris is such a great actress that she totally becomes whatever role she,s playing and still her OWN very strong personality comes shining through.A friend of mine owned a factory in the 50s and 60s and whenever he got the news that the latest doris day movie was at the local theather, he would close down the entire factory and they ALL would go to the movies and see our doris , isnt that cool ? 8)
suzie

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Re: I'll See You in My Dreams

Unread post by Doris Martin »

This film was and will be always the best.She is perfect..Marti