Romance on the High Seas

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Romance on the High Seas"?

Poor
No votes
Average
3%
Good
23%
Excellent
73%

Total votes: 64

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

It's Magic

Unread post by webmaster »

Very interesting, Ralph.

Strange how the film was called "It's Magic" over here (UK) - I wonder if the song was popular here at the time and it was though a good idea to change the title? That can't happen very often, can it? Ralph? Anyone?

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes Bryan, I remember reading somewhere, that is exactly why the title was changed for UK market - to capitalise on the hit song. We have already discussed why 'Young man with a Horn' - DEFINATELY had to go for the UK market - becoming 'Young man of music'.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Unread post by Ralph »

I think that Doris Day learned a lot about being a star and a total "pro" when she made "Storm Warning" with her girlhood idol, Ginger Rogers. Day said (I think in her book) that she watched how Ginger took control on the set and knew about every aspect of what was going on.

I can imagine that Ginger threw her weight around, she was a big star, an Oscar winner. I can imagine her telling the director, "don't photograph me from my left side in closeups, make sure you use the key light when I turn after that line, etc."

Most actors who have acted with Doris say, "she's a total pro and knows what she's doing." After "Calamity Jane," I have a feeling that Doris knew she had to take control of her image and to choose more wisely the pictures she would make. Why else would she march into Jack Warner's office protesting "Lucky Me"? After Jack balled her out, Day probably couldn't wait to get away from Warner Bros.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

A star is born.

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam »

Oh Toni what a beautiful picture! I truly believe that Jack Carson loved Doris, and most likely, she loved him. I think his drinking and depression took it's toll on their relationship. Doris often spoke of him with much affection, and gave him the credit for teaching her the technical side of acting....where to stand, best camera angle ect... I think Doris was fortunate that Jack Carson was her first leading man, because he was so generous, and unselfish, in giving her the knowledge and support she needed, to survive her first acting experience and movie.

Pam~

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I agree with you pam, jack was very good to dodo, giving her alot of inside info and help in the movies.I think to that she still had ALOT of feelings for george at that time. Wasnt ready for anything real steady with anyone at that time. Not in a big hurry to make another mistake.
suzie

Heatherlicious

Unread post by Heatherlicious »

So, after finishing up my last day of my internship and before I leave to go back to school, i decided to splurge and get the Doris collection Vol. 2... and I just finished watching ROHS and WOW! She definitely did have that natural talent, it was hard to believe that was her first movie! I absolutely loved it, it was so cute!! Definitely ranked up there as one of my favorite Doris movies. :D Now I'm off to watch the rest...
H E A T H E R | Graphics

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam »

Heather ~Have a wonderful year at school....and have fun too!

My Best,

Pam~

Heatherlicious

Unread post by Heatherlicious »

Thanks Pam... I have a feeling it's going to get rather hectic... but thats what I get for trying to be involved in campus life lol. :) Thanks again! :)
H E A T H E R | Graphics

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Well, I just got my Doris Day Collection 2... watched Romance On the High Seas...

and the verdict is....

EXCELLENT!!! Doris looked like an ol' pro from the very beginning... it was WONDERFUL... you know I read somewhere that Doris was dating Jack Carson and Ronald Reagan... I already knew about Jack but not Ronald... did anyone else hear or read this?
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Hi Babe!

Yep, another excellent film with our Doris! And as you said, she was a natural right from the start!

She talks about dating Reagan in her book. If you haven't read it yet, you have GOT to track it down. You can get it on eBay pretty frequently. It's a GREAT autobiography and and a very fun read.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Hey John!

Yes, I'm actually in the process of buying Doris' auto-biography.

I loved the way her character acted...

She was such a natural from the very beginning and I'm glad she became an actress and decided to do this movie!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

It's written by A.E. Hotchner in the FORM of an autobiography (according to the bookjacket). DD hasn't written an autobiography yet, not even a memoir...

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Hotchner edited the book from tapes of the sessions he and Doris recorded together, but it is indeed her autobiography. Aside from the editing, he wrote very little, although he did add the interviews with her co-stars, friends and family members in separate sections.

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Boy, do I wish the title were "Doris Day, My Own Story". It isn't. It's "Doris Day, Her Own Story" by A.E. Hotchner (that's on the bookjacket).

On the book binding, it's A.E. Hotchner "Doris Day, Her Own Story" Morrow.

On the title page: "Doris Day, Her Own Story" by A.E. Hotchner William Morrow and Company, Inc. New York 1976

But the copyright page on the back of the title page: "Copyright 1975 by Doris Day".

We've been over this before. It may be intended to be confounding. I believe we're supposed to believe that, apart from the interviews, she is speaking AND that he hasn't contributed words, phrases, ideas--or asked questions--which if he had to me would make it biographical in nature rather than autobiographical. But who knows, and hey, it's a great read. The Hotchner book!

We can each take our pick, but the inside front flap of the bookjacket begins "This unusual collaboration in the FORM of an autobiography..." (emphasis mine).

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

dave wrote:It may be intended to be confounding.
It's pretty straightforward: she had the deal with Morrow to write her autobiography. She requested Hotchner to collaborate on it with her. They urged him (against his initial wishes) to collaborate with her. He did not initiate the project and came to it after it was all put together to her satisfaction. It was her deal, her life story, her copywrite and she collected the profits. Bookjackets are well and good, but sometimes only tell part of the tale.

But as you said, it's a great read, either way you look at it.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Thank-you John -- After reading it a few times - it comes across as her autobiography. And, in interviews with her - she talks about it as her autobiography. So - thank you for clarifying that. It is a great read - everyone should try to get it on ebay. Lately, there have been several copies for sale.
Thanks again,
Toni
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

John, thought you'd be back to this, and we'll have to agree to disagree (you say copyWRITE; I say copyRIGHT)--with dayniac perhaps unwittingly supplying the un-confounding terminology to define the book: "it comes across as her autobiography".

Dictionaries agree that autobiographies are an account of a person's life written by that person. And that biographies are written accounts of another person's life. That's straightforward to me.

Would the "Urban Dictionary" online would call it one of the "bought-o-biographies"? Hotchner was paid to do the work, whatever that was beyond the interviews with other people.

It's a great read.

Getting back to the topic.. "Romance on the High Seas", Doris as brassy and naive Georgia, is THE great acting/singing debut of them all.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

dave wrote:we'll have to agree to disagree (you say copyWRITE; I say copyRIGHT)
:oops: Oops. I should have caught that.

And yes, we'll have to disagree on the rest of it... except that it's a great read.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

As far as I know there are different editions of the book (one 70's, one 80's?) - Did the content change?

I mean, does the latter version contains new materials? Or doesn't it matter which edition to get?
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Hi Marion, there was no further info added, so either edition should be fine to get.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes, the mid 1980s edition had Hotch going to see Doris in Carmel amidst worrying headlines she had become a recluse, lost her looks etc. What he fouid [as we know] was a stylish vibrant lady who had not aged at all since they last met. The book touched on the last marriage but really adds nothing too much to the original.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

find and article on the movie,with some rare pictures of Miss Day and Jack Carson.